Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Plentiful Harvest - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 385 Old 11-26-2009, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
Looks like this place isn't going to work out either.

when things don't work out, usually I find there is something better waiting along the way. Here's hoping we find it! sigh!
aw, dang Mariah!! hoping you'll soon find something wonderful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
Sorry, little vent there he just makes me so mad. Condescending doesn't even begin to describe it...
oooh, yeah, that's incredibly annoying. ick.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#362 of 385 Old 11-26-2009, 05:37 PM

Does anyone know where to buy kite paper locally??

Looking to make some stars for the windows...

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#363 of 385 Old 11-26-2009, 06:15 PM

Laggie, you have me laughing, sorry...
But oh my, your doctor does sound terrible!

I have a great doctor who is respectful. That is one of my two qualifications that I seek in a doctor (the other is that the person actually know what they are talking about). She is in North Vancouver and is moving to her own practice again, not taking new patients until January - Anis Lakha.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#364 of 385 Old 11-26-2009, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Laggie, I'm lukewarm about our GP Dr Helen Ting, but at least she did take us. She's really far for us though. I've phoned every single GP in North Burnaby, and none of them are taking patients . The reality is that when it's going to take hours for driving, waiting, etc., I find a lot of reasons to not go to the doctor.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#365 of 385 Old 11-27-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
Does anyone know where to buy kite paper locally??

Looking to make some stars for the windows...
Try "Paper Ya" on Granville Isl (http://www.paper-ya.com/). They have a great selection of decorative and handmade papers. Does it have to be kite paper? Most kites nowadays are made of Mylar.

(I know this because Dh and I were part of the local Kite flyers club, http://www.bcka.bc.ca/).

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#366 of 385 Old 11-27-2009, 03:00 AM

Mariah, that is so sad that another one is falling through.

Does anyone need a double mattress? It's not the best quality one but it's fine for kids and its clean.

We got a king!!!
oh and on that note...if anyone needs a king, I know a guy ours was a 'factory return' for having a scuff on the corner so $500 (reg $1500)

It's HUGE! I love it

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#367 of 385 Old 11-27-2009, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Try "Paper Ya" on Granville Isl (http://www.paper-ya.com/). They have a great selection of decorative and handmade papers. Does it have to be kite paper? Most kites nowadays are made of Mylar.

(I know this because Dh and I were part of the local Kite flyers club, http://www.bcka.bc.ca/).
It's not for making kites, it's for making those Waldorf-y 8 pointed stars for windows. Apparently the see-through type of paper used is called "kite paper".

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#368 of 385 Old 11-27-2009, 05:39 AM

laggie, i can't help with a doctor, as i avoid those but i would highly, highly recommend ND dr. hal brown if you need to adjust anything in your health in order to conceive. there are also mamas around who could advise you about their success with traditional chinese medicine

#369 of 385 Old 11-27-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
As for the Dr, I've hated this guy for quite some time but I keep going back there because there is no wait to see him - I can't handle sitting in a waiting room with a bunch of sick people for an hour.
Wow, that's a tip-off right there. Now sometimes it's poor management, but generally there is waiting involved in doctor's offices. The good news is that in a regular GP's office, (as opposed to a clinic) you're more likely to have people coming in with chronic illnesses rather than acute contagious ones. Waiting still sucks - I just bury my nose in a book and suddenly it becomes a good thing...

to you anyway!

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#370 of 385 Old 11-27-2009, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
Wow, that's a tip-off right there. Now sometimes it's poor management, but generally there is waiting involved in doctor's offices.
Yes, well... as is the fact that he has advertisements in the local paper looking for new patients... and his score on ratemymd.com (or whatever the url is) is 2.6 out of 5. A friend recommended him to me and now I'm inclined to think she is nuts. Mind you, she's the sort that would just do whatever he says without question. She was thrilled when he gave her abx for her son when he had a cold...

I do have a naturopath, I'm going to see her tonight actually... she sent me to the regular Dr. for some blood tests.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#371 of 385 Old 11-27-2009, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I doubt my doctor is taking new patients but she and her practice-mate are great! Very AP friendly, not pushy with vax, takes her time with you ... and is lovely as a person to boot!
Dr. Marjery Zapf-Gilje ... she's in the MacDonald building at 750 W. Broadway.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#372 of 385 Old 11-27-2009, 07:27 PM

I'm not inclined to recommend my doc! We were there yesterday and she wants to see my healthy boy back in 3 months because he's skinny (NOT underweight) and has a big head (still on the charts, still at the same percentile he was born at, 97%). Anyone who knows my family knows that kids are tall and lanky and my family is full of big heads. My mom (paediatric nurse that used to work in the hospital with this doc which is how we got in with a doc at all) was with me, she snorted and said "you're not going to do that are you, she's just trying to get more office visits to pay the bills". *sigh*

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#373 of 385 Old 11-28-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
I doubt my doctor is taking new patients but she and her practice-mate are great! Very AP friendly, not pushy with vax, takes her time with you ... and is lovely as a person to boot!
Dr. Marjery Zapf-Gilje ... she's in the MacDonald building at 750 W. Broadway.
Oh Wow! My mom used to work for her!! My mom is now retired but she worked with her for about 10 years or so. I worked as a temp. there too when my mom took vacation. This was in her old office though, on the 13hundred block (by Granville) Broadway. The next time you see Dr. ZG, say hi for us (Chan and Ellaine). Come to think of it, Dr. ZG was at my wedding...:

#374 of 385 Old 11-29-2009, 02:22 AM

Sorry to report that dd only got about two spots and the day after I announced them to you they didn't seem like they'd be very contagious any more...

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#375 of 385 Old 11-30-2009, 02:15 AM

Hey Mamas, I need to pick your brains for a Christmas gift idea. I want to give our inlaws (Dh's brother and his wife and 3.5 kids) a family gift for Christmas. They live in Nelson and are very Waldorfy. Any suggestions? I don't think they are too into board games which would be my stand by...
#376 of 385 Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM

Erin, nice to hear of another mild case of pox. I'm quite certain DD had the pox this past spring but it was so mild I was afraid to hope, lol.

robugmum: so I guess a playstation is out then? I'll try to think of something. Board games would be my first pick too. And by the way, how IS that gorgeous puppy of yours? I confess I've been coveting a standard poodle ever since visiting your breeder's website!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#377 of 385 Old 11-30-2009, 10:20 PM

Knowing what it's like to be in Nelson in the winter.... What about something like Aquatic Centre passes? Or a gift certificate to Maplerose? Man, I love that (dangerous) store.....!!!!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#378 of 385 Old 12-01-2009, 01:00 AM

oh my sheesh, $150 for a cloth doll????? it is the only african boy doll I've seen, but seriously, $150???? maybe it's life size? ooooh, I just thought of groovy girls, they have boy dolls too, don't they? hmmm...

I'm back, and can't find any dark skinned boy groovy girl dolls... If anyone comes across one, let me know!! they have a big plastic anatomically correct baby boy doll here, but it's really big and hard, so not my first pick...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#379 of 385 Old 12-01-2009, 01:12 AM

Thanks Piglet! Those are good suggestions! I am wishing I hd gotten started on felting them something earlier Now I feel like I have to shell out some cash!
Clover is good but she's in that puppy adolescence stage right now - and is generally pretty irritating. Of course, she alternates these moments by being totally sweet and adorable. She got "fixed" on Friday so the poor thing is sporting a "cone of shame" and keeps bumping into walls.
#380 of 385 Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I will indulge my shopaholic side for you tiffani

in no particular order:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=19990654
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=22092194
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...age=2&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...age=2&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

#381 of 385 Old 12-01-2009, 03:42 AM

I like this colourful one http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=32546834

I've seen a black Groovy boy doll before...not sure where though.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#382 of 385 Old 12-01-2009, 03:52 AM - Thread Starter

tiffani:

What about a ugandan doll

or one of these cuties:
http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...35|0&PID=20020

http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...20|0&PID=40587

http://www.kaplanco.com/store/trans/...20|0&PID=80179

#383 of 385 Old 12-01-2009, 04:11 AM

Yeah, cloth Waldorfy type dolls aren't cheap. I got a basic kit for making a few dolls and when I don't count my labour, just the kit itself, it was around $25 for an 8" doll. Closer to $40 for a 12".

That said, the fabric is organic, the stuffing is pure wool, the clothing is quality quilting fabric. The darned thing is an heirloom.

#384 of 385 Old 12-01-2009, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter

please join us at our new thread!

#385 of 385 Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
I've seen a black Groovy boy doll before...not sure where though.
I know I've seen them too, but can't find any on the groovy girls website... that said, maybe I've seen black girl dolls and white boy dolls and have just assumed that there must be black boy dolls as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
I guess I will indulge my shopaholic side for you tiffani
wow, thank you Ksenia, you're good with the google!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
tiffani:

What about a ugandan doll
perfect!! we will definitely need one of each of these, and will order from this site if I can't find them directly while in Uganda...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
That said, the fabric is organic, the stuffing is pure wool, the clothing is quality quilting fabric. The darned thing is an heirloom.
no kidding! I don't think I'd be able to let my kids play with a doll that expensive!! (the $150 one, not yours... yours sounds lovely )

I have to say, I'm not crazy about knitted dolls. and somehow black rag dolls conjure up images of racist mammy dolls so the features on them have to be significantly different from those for me to feel comfortable owning one... the custom Ethiopian boy doll is cute but this one looks a little too stereotypical for me for some reason... maybe also because the one that's supposed to be from Ireland looks drunk? somehow the adoption angle bugs me too, for various reasons, but maybe because I think that if children are going to pretend to adopt, they should have to take classes, fill out mountains of paperwork, be fingerprinted at least 4 times (oh, did I mention mark has to have his fingerprints done AGAIN?!?!?! fingerprinting guy had the choice of using the forms we used last time (the official forms that are supposed to be used) or, "hey, I know, just for a laugh, let's use these OTHER forms and see what citizenship and immigration has to say about it! c'mon, it'll be a hoot!"....) have a medical exam done and have their room inspected by a stranger whose primary purpose is to judge them. THEN we'll see if they're fit to adopt a cloth doll!!! I feel bad judging these dolls, since the creator obviously had good intentions, but somehow I don't think she's involved in adoption in any way... but then some people involved in adoption really love their mammy dolls, so, ya know, different strokes for different folks....

thank you for seeking those out Ksenia

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page