Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
Pealette, so amazing to see the five of you!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 10-10-2009, 12:02 AM

Hi Happy!
I'm mostly a lurker too...
Today I'm 41 weeks and I have a two year old girl, so we are on the same boat! Im planning a home waterbirth as well, I had one with my first and it was amazing. We currently live in Burnaby on the border to New Westminster and I would be so open to put aside the bit of social anxiety I have and do a playdate and meet some like minded moms! I'm dreading a long dark winter cooped up with a newborn and toddler so some mama friends would be lovely

Loving mama to M. 09/2007 and K. 10/2009. Married to my soul mate :
Old 10-10-2009, 12:45 AM

Orangatan,
we should get together, I also have a two year old girl, a new baby (5 months) and am just over the Patulla Bridge in Surrey. (and I'm a bit social phobic too )

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 10-10-2009, 01:30 AM

Janet - those are beautiful photos!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 AM

Ktd- Sounds great! As soon as this wee one is out and settled in some I would love to. Queens park is wonderful in the summer and during the winter we love the motoring muchkins at the Arenex. Not sure if you've ever been but my two year old loves it! Maybe we could meet up there as it seems to be really close to the both of us. I just need this baby out so I can make some plans!

Loving mama to M. 09/2007 and K. 10/2009. Married to my soul mate :
Old 10-10-2009, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyli View Post
\huge pot of Butternut Squash with Vanilla and Cardamom soup
I would love that recipe!

Welcome to the tribe!

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 10-10-2009, 11:31 PM

yahoo! someone else in the 2 year old with a baby on the way boat! I feel you on the social anxiety...however, i think its mostly fueled by the feeling that most parents and I don't agree on some basic parenting things...I would love to meet up with you ladies and your babes as soon as I'm able to! Will post regarding how the birth went and all that.

Sheila, and anyone else who wants the recipe for the Butternut Squash with Vanilla and Cardamom soup, here it is

1/2 cup unsalted butter
4 cups Diced Butternut squash
1 cup fine dice cooking onion
1 cup fine dice carrot
1/2 of a red bell pepper, fine dice
1/2 vanilla bean ( I have used extract to taste when i don't have the beans)
2 cups Veg stock
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup whipping cream
Sea salt and pepper to taste
3-4 cardamom pods or ground cardamom to taste
Sour cream (for garnish for serving)

Melt butter in large stock pot. Add all veggies, cook for 5 minutes. Add vanilla bean and cardamom pods. Add stock and juice. Simmer until veggies are soft, uncovered. Remove vanilla bean and cardamom pods and allow to cool a bit. Blend with immersion blender until smooth. Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste. Return to pot and reheat. Serve with a dollop of sour cream in the middle

Enjoy!
Old 10-11-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happyli View Post
yahoo! someone else in the 2 year old with a baby on the way boat! I feel you on the social anxiety...however, i think its mostly fueled by the feeling that most parents and I don't agree on some basic parenting things...I would love to meet up with you ladies and your babes as soon as I'm able to! Will post regarding how the birth went and all that.
Sounds good. If you're willing to come over the Lions Gate bridge it would be super easy for us to meet up. I hear the toddler play at the Annex in New West is far superior to the play at the Guildfod Rec center, which has its good days, but also its really crappy days. Let's try for something at the end of November, by then you two will have had your babies and my work life will have settled into a more predictable schedule, I hope. (Working from home has its benefits!)

Speaking of butternut squash, we grew some this year and they are way more starchy than I remember... more like a bakers potato than a squash. (I usually grow acorn and spaghetti squash.) Are they supposed to be startchy like that or did I make some sort of cross-breeding error in my garden (which I've done before with spaghetti squash and pumpkin!).

Old 10-11-2009, 03:49 AM

Happyli & orangatan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
those inspiring danes.
That's cool! A friend of mine that grew up in Sweden was saying the other day that for several years now they have had curbside recycling for just about everything - different coloured bags for veg. compost, meat/scraps compost & so on . We could definitely learn something from these countries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pealette View Post
Here we are
Beautiful! Can't tell about the teeth .

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
Old 10-11-2009, 02:42 PM

happy thanksgiving mamas! pumpkin pie coming out of the oven, dinner going in, i couldn't get turkey but we'll have a feast nonetheless. x

Old 10-11-2009, 03:33 PM

is anyone else getting pop ups when they sign into mothering? never happened before :

I heard Maple Ridge is going to be starting a big community composting program... apparently they are goping to use some of teh land from the old Albion Ferry docks now that we have the new Golden Ears bridge. That would be awesome because every time I try to have a composter I have way too many bear visitors and I've give up

I've been packing for our big trip... its alot to do! We're going to LA then Costa Rica then Peru and back to CR then home : and I have to bring stuff for all different kinds of weather and activities... We get our stuff into 4 bags for all 5 of us, but if Jason brings scuba gear thats a fifth bag and he wants me to get my own scuba gear for my birthday which would put us at 6 bags and then we'd have to pay for that bag I hate the new baggage policies! I did dig out my old travel backpack from when we did Europe before kids... aw the memories we're planning on packing very light for the peru portion and leaving a bunch of stuff with friends in CR... If anyone wants me to send their kids a postcard from Peru send me a pm and I'll bring your address the kdis love to send postcards

edited to add... we are looking for an old (and hopefully light) laptop to bring to Peru to donate a school we will be visiting... we will be pre-loading it with learning games and MS office for the kids to use, they won't have an internet connection... any suggestions on were to find one very cheap or even free?

we're off the VSO today, its the kids show, Rhythm in your Rubbish? anyone else coming??? there were still tix last time I checked...

tomorrow is turkey dinner for us... we're doing a local meal again... so much fun! Happy Thanksgiving everyone

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
Old 10-11-2009, 04:04 PM

Happy Thanksgiving weekend, everyone! I have a sugar pumpkin from Chilliwack roasting in the oven right now, and butternut squash from Westham Island cubed and ready to be made into soup. I went to the last outdoor farmer's market of the season for Trout Lake yesterday with DD, how inspiring that place is! The amount of produce and wonderful fall harvest items was just amazing! I wish we lived closer, but hopefully when we move we'll have easier access to local items.

Speaking of which we are still working on getting the small acreage in Maple Ridge we've fallen in love with. We're bringing an architect out next week to give us an estimate on what needs to be done to make the little house liveable, then we'll put in another offer. Fingers crossed that we can get this place by Xmas!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 AM

Jen, have you tried Freecycle? I'd do FreeGeek, except that I don't think that they give away/sell laptops. I gave away our very old one on Freecycle.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

Old 10-12-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulmom View Post
is anyone else getting pop ups when they sign into mothering? never happened before :
Yes, and I am NOT impressed.

Quote:
I heard Maple Ridge is going to be starting a big community composting program... apparently they are goping to use some of teh land from the old Albion Ferry docks now that we have the new Golden Ears bridge. That would be awesome because every time I try to have a composter I have way too many bear visitors and I've give up
Hmm, I can't find it now, but I had a pamphlet kicking around here entitled Composting in Bear Country. I'll see if I can find it but I think I might have tossed it, since we are not in bear country here.... maybe try googling that title?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Old 10-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm busy in the kitchen, but taking a NAK break.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. With little dd2 in my lap, I'm feeling very, very thankful for what I have in my life these days.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-12-2009, 04:37 PM

Then, in honour of Thanksgiving, for whatever you maybe be thankful for, everyone do a Gratitude Dance.

Or just watch people all over the world doing it. (I don't know why this one makes me all teary, but it does! We watch it, and I read out the names of all the places as they flash by.)

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
Old 10-12-2009, 05:07 PM

That was fantastic, Lori!! thanks so much for sharing it!

Old 10-12-2009, 06:01 PM

Happy Thanksgiving! We had dinner at the IL's place in Courteney last night so its just going to be a regular dinner for us at home tonight. BBQ chicken drumsticks in the slow cooker.

Speaking of butternut squash, how do you cut into the thing? I've been buying the prepeeled and precubed stuff at Save on (when its cheap) but I'd like to save $ by buying the whole thing. Is it really hard to get into and peel? I've got a 8" Chef's knife but the thought of getting halfway through and not being able to budge it scares me!

Btw, I'm not getting any pop-ups, but then I've got a popup blocker, wonder if thats the difference?

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

Old 10-12-2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks Lori, I got teary eyed too

Ellaine, if you've ever cooked pumpkin, it's like that. Sharp knife, cut into sections, leave peel on, bake in two inches of water until soft, then cut meat away from peel.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 10-13-2009, 06:22 AM

i start with the point down on my side of the center/vine bit. i try to go straight down toward the bottom of the gourd, rocking to get it to slice round the side. then i do the same on the other side, hopefully lining up . then i put my hands in the gap (or wiggle the knife in the bottom to open that gap) and pull apart like i'm opening an eggshell. some squash are easier than others, depends on their age perhaps, or the thickness of their skins. sometimes i've had to bang the squash down on the counter a few times, on the knife. don't be scared, it is so worth the freshness! scoop it out and your ready. i like to lie them bowl-up, and drop in butter, sea salt, spices, even a sweetener, or half an apple, and roast. yum!! or peel, slice + sauté for risotto or soup.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:58 PM

lori, thanks for sharing the gratitude dance! like I said on facebook, I always like it when lots of people do the same thing at the same time

and on the gratitude front, we are waiting for our referral of two little ones from an orphanage in Uganda that I didn't even know about until this week, assisted by a lawyer I didn't know about until last week, and all of our paperwork is coming together -- we may have our kids home by christmas!!! I will save the for later in the week when we see their little faces (girl under 18 months, boy 2-4) and know who it is we've been working so hard for all these years!!!

we had a daughter of a friend of mark's brother stay with us for a few days on her way through NZ, and it JUST occurred to me that maybe she was hoping for a Thanksgiving dinner with us?? do chicken and black bean enchiladas count as thanksgiving dinner?

off to the bank to wire money to the lawyer!! hopefully next time I'm back it will be with photos of our kids!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:47 AM

Wishing you all the best, Tiffani. This journey of your's has certainly had a lot of twists, turns, dead-ends, etc. I'm glad the end of this portion of your road is in sight.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-16-2009, 12:54 AM

Also wishing you all the best, tiffani!

Butternut Squash: since I'm making soup, I am eventually cutting it into cubes. So I start by just cutting it through the middle, widthwise, which is easy to do. Then I cut off slices about 2 inches thick, stand them up and trim the peel from the edges by cutting downwards all around the edge. I found trying to cut the squash lengthwise too difficult.

Pumpkins: I roasted a pumpkin for pie and found an easy way to do so...just cut slits all around the pumpkin, deep enough that the knife point goes into the middle, maybe 3 or 4 inches long down the side. Then put it in a baking pan with about 2 inches of water and roast for about 45 min or so (depending on size). When it's done the skin just peels off and its super easy to cut off the top and seed it, too!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:59 AM

well Meagan, I know I just said on facebook that we wouldn't have any news until monday, and we might not, but it just occurred to me that the friday work day is just starting in Uganda, and today's work day in Uganda is when our lawyer is supposed to be given our matches, so.... I will be obsessively checking my email over the next 10 hours, and will let ya'll know if we get any news!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:25 PM

Crossing all my fingers and toes for you, Tiffani!

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
Old 10-16-2009, 01:57 PM

Tiffani and family!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Oh, yeah, speaking of luck...

The group that Emily and I sing with, Lions Gate Chorus, is heading to International Competition in Nashville next week. We're going for gold medals this time. So we could also use a little luck. Just a little though, 'cuz we've been workin' our tails off!

If any of you want to watch us, it will be webcast live. The info is on this web page. We'll be in the chorus semi-finals on Thursday, Oct. 22nd at 2:05 (Nashville time, that'll be 12:05 here). Then (assuming all goes as planned), we'll be in the Finals on Saturday, sometime between 3 and 9 pm (Nashville time, 1-3 pm here). Our # and on-stage time will likely be posted on the webpage above, but we'll probably also post it on the Lions Gate website.

Back to packing in my usual travel-makes-me-neurotic way. I'm leaving Sunday!

Old 10-17-2009, 06:59 AM

that's really cool Lori! good luck!!!

and thanks for all the well wishes... looking like we probably won't hear anything until the end of Ugandan monday (middle of the night/early tuesday morning for us.... monday morning/mid-day for you guys... sheesh this is getting confusing! s

Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 PM

Got this through the email yesterday:

I am facilitating an 8 week parenting education group based on Alfred Adler’s ideas about encouragement, natural consequences, birth order and creating a sense of community for children. It starts October 21st: 7-9:00pm at the Delbrook Rec Centre and runs every Thursday night until mid-December. It is FREE!

I need help recruiting some parents (like you!) with children between the ages of 3-13yrs to sign up and attend. It is OK to sign up even if they cannot commit to every week. Teaching this course is part of my Graduate School requirement. So far I have only 2 registered but I need 8 (!)

Could you help me out and pass on this email to anyone you think might be interested. I know it will be hugely beneficial information for parents.

Thanks so much for your help!

Call or email Michelle at Delbrook to register:

Michelle Suter email suterm(at)northvanrec.com
604-983-6326

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

User Tag List