newfoundland or PEI midwifery - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-11-2009, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just wondering if any of you know what is happening in terms of regulation/funding in either of these provinces, or if anyone has any contacts for that information? are there any successfully practicing midwives in those provinces?

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009, 01:06 PM

BORN is a group on PEI that may be able to answer some of your questions. I'm not sure that NFLD has a consumer or midwife group. At one point when I was involved here in NS it was basically a one woman show over there.

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
Old 11-13-2009, 03:47 PM

Very interested to know....

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:41 PM

I'm in Newfoundland and we have the Midwifery Coalition of NL. There is a facebook group with more information about the group. Right now, it is concentrating its efforts on training doulas in the St. John's area. There is one practicing home birth midwife here.

Legislation-wise, there is none currently. There is talks of umbrella legislation that will govern several allied health professions and include midwifery, but it's been about a year since we've heard anything about it, and since the previous legislation was removed. The previous legislation was governing midwives that practiced in rural Newfoundland before there were more easily accessible hospitals. That transition from community based midwives to hospital births happened by the sixties.

There are some nurse-midwives practicing in some of the hospitals, but I think their roles are more as L&D nurses rather than having their own patients.

Birth doula in training and soon to be mama of 2 in the far east of Canada...new little one due June 1, joining big sister born April 07!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

do you think there is a demand for midwifery care in those provinces? so can a midwife set up a practice there or would it be frowned upon?

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 PM

We need some change in Newfoundland!

When need choices, and with the last Lay Midwife leaving, we are left to birth unassisted (which we've planned to anyways) or be forced into hospital care.

Something has got to give, so that women living in the Eastern Provinces (PEI, NB, NL) have access to Midwifery care if they want it, and I'm sure many would if they had the choice.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandib50 View Post
do you think there is a demand for midwifery care in those provinces? so can a midwife set up a practice there or would it be frowned upon?
Yes, I think there would be a demand, more so if there was that option, you know?
A midwife could set up practice, but Midwives are not legislated in Newfoundland.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperia View Post
We need some change in Newfoundland!

When need choices, and with the last Lay Midwife leaving, we are left to birth unassisted (which we've planned to anyways) or be forced into hospital care.

Something has got to give, so that women living in the Eastern Provinces (PEI, NB, NL) have access to Midwifery care if they want it, and I'm sure many would if they had the choice.
I agree. I live in rural NB and my birth options are hospital or a UC 40 mins from the hospital. Neither of which I feel great about.

caffix.gif

Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM

May 5th is International day of the Midwife. May is also doula month.

There will be a movie screening on Tuesday May 4th, from 7:30-9:30pm at HSC, of Birth Day, Relaxation, Rhythm, Ritual: The 3Rs of Childbirth, The Amazing Talents of the newborn.

Put on by the Friends of Midwifery, also a brief update on the tabled midwifery legislation in Newfoundland.

(Thank you Kelly)

Old 04-30-2010, 04:05 PM

International Day of the Midwife, film screening event. Here is the link to the facebook announcement of the event.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:40 PM

I've started a facebook group for supporting women choosing to homebirth, regardless of midwifery legislation currently in place. I can see a rise in this choice as the last lay midwife is leaving in June. Women should know that there is at least one doula in St John's that will whole heartily support your (unassisted) home birth.

Come by and share your opinions.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:37 AM

Making some headway.....Bill 17

The first of three readings of AN ACT RESPECTING THE REGULATION OF CERTAIN HEALTH PROFESSIONS too place, which includes the profession of midwifery along with medical laboratory technologists, acupuncturists, speech pathologists, audiologists, and dental hygienists...

Although without funding and implementation, this would just be another passed bill. Please write to the minister & assistant deputy minister and urge them to integrate funding of midwifery services into the current health system.

Jerome Kennedy
Minister of Health and Community Services
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (709) 729-2858
Fax: (709) 729-6791
Toll Free: 1-877-998-9933
Confederation Building
First fl, East Block
P.O. Box 8700
St. John’s, NL
A1B 4J6

Don Keats
Don Keats, Deputy Minister
Phone: 709-729-3125
P.O. Box 8700
Confederation Bldg., West Block, Main Fl.
St. John's, NL A1B 4J6
Phone: 709-729-5021
FAX: 709-729-5824
E-mail: [email protected]

Old 06-06-2010, 04:37 PM

Did anyone write?

Old 06-19-2010, 03:15 AM

Just a bump, want to keep this active.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:32 PM

BUMP 

Friends of Midwifery St. John's - http://www.facebook.com/groups/10005742221

BORN (birth options resource network) PEI - http://born-pei.ca/

Stay up-to-date. :D 

User Tag List