Private Schools in Burnaby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 11-13-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is currently in Grade 1 at a Public School and things are not going well. All summer he was so excited to be going to Grade 1 and lately he has told me that "he doesn't like school" and "learning is boring." I am planning a meeting with the teacher to go over some issues and see if they can be resolved in the current classroom as he does like to be with his friends from Kindergarten.

I think it has to do with learning style, my son is very auditory and can answer all the questions out loud but isn't showing any interest in writing them down. He also doesn't see the point of cutting out words when learning to read. Perhaps if the teacher could explain the "why" of it he might be willing to go along and follow the instructions with the class. Instead he isn't doing the cutting out, he says "they don't have to if they don't want to." I have to agree with him as it doesn't seem like the teacher is getting/encouraging him to take part in the activities.

I'm thinking that a private school might be able to offer him more individual attention and be more clear on what is required and what is optional in the classroom. So far I have only found Christian schools in Burnaby. Does anyone knows of any private schools in Burnaby that aren't religious? I do not attend church and don't want to add 'being different' to any learning style challenges my son is already having. We live in North Burnaby near Willingdon and travel to Vancouver for work, so schools closer to Vancouver than New West would be easier to get to.
#2 of 4 Old 11-13-2009, 04:46 PM

Is it possible to homelearn with him?

There is a HUGE homelearning community here on mdc as well as the Lower Mainland.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#3 of 4 Old 11-13-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Is it possible to homelearn with him?

There is a HUGE homelearning community here on mdc as well as the Lower Mainland.
I feel like I am almost doing that now. We have Printing Practice and go over his Language worksheets every day. I am also teaching him to read phonetically using "BOB books" and "McGuffey's First Eclectic Reader." We do this each day after he gets home from school/daycare.

Both my husband and I work full time so it's not really practical for him to be home all day. I wouldn't be able to supervise his learning and give full attention to my work. I also wouldn't be able to take part in the activities done during the day by the Homelearning community so he wouldn't get as much time with others his age. I wish this was an option, he does seem to do better one on one, but often would rather Mama not be the teacher.
#4 of 4 Old 11-13-2009, 08:42 PM

Not quite Burnaby, but Stratford Hall is in East Van - 14th and Commercial Drive. They are an IB school and non religious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page