Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Sugared Mountains & Bare Branches - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 705 Old 01-18-2010, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pealette, that letter was so well written. Really a lovely way to look at it. I do believe that a healthy separation can be acheived and I applaud you and Darryl for being so mature and thoughtful about how you go about it.

Thinking of you, flowmom.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#362 of 705 Old 01-18-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
flowmom:

And to you too Pealette - even though you're taking the high road, it's still hard to see your kids go through it.

Mostly I'm just these days.

Oh, are any of you knitters on ravelry? I'm there, with the same username as here. Friend me! (So far I've only got my co-workers on there).

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#363 of 705 Old 01-18-2010, 12:17 PM

Hugs to you both Flowmom and Janet. Its a sobering reminder to me of how fluid marital relationships are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
** i am selling my beautiful storchenwiege wrap, it is stripey, red, pink, orange, purple, green. it is hard to part with! i miss wrapping my sweethearts. pm me **

Artparent, do you want to pm me the details of your wrap? Condition, price, your whereabouts? I can pass them onto my babywearing group if you'd like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
no really, *canners* and *jam makers*. how much pomona pectin do i need to export in my suitcase if i want to make a LOT of jam? how far does it go, do you find?

I found one box of pectin made roughly 8 cups of jam. Slightly less if you use less sugar but thats not really recommended as its the sugar that gives it the shelf life. If you're **** wondering, a "regular" jam jar is 1C.'s worth.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#364 of 705 Old 01-18-2010, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pealette . It must have taken a lot of soul-searching and work to get to the place of clarity that you and D apparently have. I hope that it will be a peaceful transition and bring the changes that both of you are hoping for.

I admire the way that you communicated this to your community as well. I think that things have been awkward here because dh simply sent a short email to the community explaining that he was moving out and that he'd be around to see the kids.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#365 of 705 Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 PM

Pealette: You two handled that really well. I think it was wise to be proactive with people about how they talk to your kids. I had someone discuss my divorce where ds1 could overhear, and they gave him a couple of strange ideas about what was going on. It was very frustrating. I'm just so impressed at how well you're handling this. My ex and I were remarkably cordial, all things considered, but neither one of us showed this level of maturity, imo.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#366 of 705 Old 01-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Pealette, I agree that what you and your DH have done is very admirable and wise. Not many people would be able to put their differences aside and see what is best for the children. I hope things continue to go smoothly.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#367 of 705 Old 01-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Janet, I'm so sorry, . hoping this change is for the best for all of you... how are the kids doing?

flowmom, ... hoping you're beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#368 of 705 Old 01-19-2010, 12:04 AM

Fingers crossed, tiffani!!

I'm on ravelry. But I rarely visit; I should do it more often. I'm L8Bloomer.

So...DH and I are going to Duncan this weekend to view some houses (he declared that the Comox Valley is too wet for him, or in his words "I'm moving from one rainforest to another?", lol, so sadly that option appears to be out so now we're looking at the Cowichan Valley). The really cool thing is we are going WITHOUT KIDS!

Yes, for the very first time since we had children DH and I will be spending a night by ourselves. I think I'm more excited about that than the househunting! My MIL will be coming over Friday night, we'll take an evening ferry, spend the night on the Island and come home late Saturday. She'll spend the night at our house with the kids. Woo Hoo!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#369 of 705 Old 01-19-2010, 12:07 AM

now that's how to househunt! in case any extra persuasion is needed

so, if any more of you vancouverites have to move away, can you please try to move to the same general area?! more-or-less-intentional community please!

#370 of 705 Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
Yes, for the very first time since we had children DH and I will be spending a night by ourselves. I think I'm more excited about that than the househunting! My MIL will be coming over Friday night, we'll take an evening ferry, spend the night on the Island and come home late Saturday. She'll spend the night at our house with the kids. Woo Hoo!
This is fabulous! We've spent the night without Cora but not just the two of us. I'm hoping we will at our anniversary in May.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
we got our new zealand immigration situation sorted, so we really truly are just waiting on that one last piece of paper -- it's kind of a big one, the one that says we can adopt, but really hoping it comes soon!! we're all so ready to bring them home!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post

Mostly I'm just these days.

Oh, are any of you knitters on ravelry? I'm there, with the same username as here. Friend me! (So far I've only got my co-workers on there).
me too with the lurking, and I am on ravelry with the same username. I am not on there much lately.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#371 of 705 Old 01-19-2010, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post
I'm kind of dreading dd2 being old enough for us to do that, but I'm also looking forward to it a lot. With the spread of ages, plus the fact that I already had ds1 when dh and I met, we haven't had a whole lot of child-free nights in the years we've been together. Right now, though, I'm just looking forward to our next dinner date. I'm not sure when that will be, though. We'll definitely have one on our anniversary, but that's not until September.

I think dh is looking forward to experiencing married life without small children in the house, but it's going to be a while!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#372 of 705 Old 01-19-2010, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
^ see that piece of paper up there? i'm imagining it flying your way tiffani

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#373 of 705 Old 01-19-2010, 02:38 AM

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#374 of 705 Old 01-20-2010, 01:35 PM

Hello Vancouver Mamas!
My friend just had a baby boy on Friday. Her milk has yet to come in and her baby is losing weight. She is desperately looking for someone who would be willing to donate breastmilk. She will pay! Do you know anyone who could help out?
Please PM me.
Thank you!

Veronika - loving my barefoot child living happily on the west coast shop Barefoot Books
#375 of 705 Old 01-20-2010, 03:53 PM

Veronika, has your friend looked into the milk bank? I know they have an age limit, but for a newborn, it should be easier to obtain? I'm sorry, my well ran dry a few years back.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#376 of 705 Old 01-20-2010, 04:39 PM

Veronika: I wish I could help, but I don't have a pump, and by the time I got the time and money to get one, she'll probably be out of the woods. I'll check back tomorrow and see if you've posted any updates about her situation. I hope her milk comes in soon! Mine took a long time after my second c/s, and dd1 lost over a pound in 3 days...but she did great once my milk came in and is a very healthy 6.5 year old now. I just thought I'd tell you that, because your friend is probably starting to stress, which won't help her milk production either.
for her.

We have a new minivan...like, an actual new minivan. It's so much easier to deal with than our falling apart, decrepit old one...but I'm kind of afraid to drvie it. It feels weird.

#377 of 705 Old 01-20-2010, 05:53 PM

veronika, congratulations to your friend! hopefully her milk has come in by now, but I second the notion that if her baby was born full term, he's most likely fine -- she will hopefully find donor milk, but there is no need to stress if he isn't dehydrated, and lisa is right, it might hinder her milk production. best wishes to her!

new blog post if anyone is interested! lots of photos, no adoption info. erica, there is a birthday post for Kea

#378 of 705 Old 01-20-2010, 06:18 PM

Ditto to all the other comments and if she does end up supplementing with formula or donor milk, make sure the hospital will let her use an SNS (or order one, they will do next day shipping) to stimulate production so she isn't in a downward spiral.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#379 of 705 Old 01-20-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
veronika.... best wishes to her!

new blog post if anyone is interested! lots of photos, no adoption info. erica, there is a birthday post for Kea
Ditto, veronika!

Thanks for giving me a reason to procrastinate on my O4L writing. now I can see your sweet photos instead! I was feeling like I'd have to just get to it...bloggers are on holidays this month! LOL.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#380 of 705 Old 01-20-2010, 09:18 PM

Storm Bride, that is so awesome!! Enjoy the bells and whistles!!

Tiffani, it is a rather complicated situation isn't it? I'd be surprised if any of goes smoothly given all the bureaucracies involved...but it's going to make it all that much more worth it when it does all finally fall into place!!

fruitlove: thirding the advice; so long as baby is getting unfettered access to the breast all shall be well; babies don't need milk in the first few days and likely it's the hospital/staff sticking to their "10% loss" limit. It's normal and barring any signs of dehydration or medical issues there is no reason to panic just yet.

#381 of 705 Old 01-21-2010, 01:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just popping in to ask if anybody wants anything from Frontier? I'm putting in an order on sunday, will have it shipped to Bellingham and will be bringing it up on Feb 2nd.

The catalogue is here: https://wholesale.frontiercoop.com/w...aleCatalog.pdf
monthly specials are here: https://wholesale.frontiercoop.com/w...aleCatalog.pdf

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#382 of 705 Old 01-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Not this time, I'm afraid. I need to shake down our finances, and figure out where we are, after buying the minivan.

#383 of 705 Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 PM

Lisa, congrats on the new van! I can't even imagine an actually *new* car!

#384 of 705 Old 01-21-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Lisa, congrats on the new van! I can't even imagine an actually *new* car!
Me, either! I think I'm kind of in shock. We looked the same model, used (2006). It had 71,000 km on it, and was 2/3 the price of this one. Between the improved warranty, the knowledge that it hasn't been abused by a previous owner, etc., this actually seemed like the most fiscally prudent move. So...hopefully, it can last us another 15 years or so (the van we traded in was 14 years old, and had way more km on it than we're likely to put on this one), and we can move down to a smaller car (as ds1 will certainly be gone by then, and dd1 and ds2 might be).

#385 of 705 Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 PM

Does anyone know the answer to this? Before Christmas I participated in the NWHL auction and won a kids book. I wasn't able to go get it before Christmas and now the page with all the details has disappeared from the 'net.

Where do I go to get the book?

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#386 of 705 Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Ellaine, I'd call NWHL and see if they still have it. I went out to New West to get my stuff, because a few of the things were Christmas gifts. But I think that they may have been willing to mail things if you paid for postage.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#387 of 705 Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 PM

I'm sure it's still there, Ellaine. Give Roberta a call at (604) 517-5917. She knows everything!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#388 of 705 Old 01-24-2010, 12:23 AM

hey everybody. I'm back from my "kids free" vacation. Wow, it was so wonderful!! I can't believe how much Freedom I used to have, lol. We ate a peaceful meal on the ferry, we stayed up late watching HGTV and Discovery Channel, had a pleasant breakfast the next morning. It was all sooooo nice! We really need to do this more often.

The kids seemed fine, though Daughter did apparently cry a little bit at bedtime saying she missed me. But to our utter amazement MIL phoned us at 9 pm to say that both kids were asleep!! We can never get them to bed that early! But they spent a great day with their cousin (who came over with FIL to visit) and all seems well now that we're back.

We also found a property that we really loved. It's 4 acres in Duncan (about 15 minutes from "downtown") and we'll be submitting an offer in the next couple of days. Things should start to move pretty quickly and I'm overwhelmed thinking of how big a job it will be to pack up this place and get us moved (though the decluttering part will be welcome). Fingers crossed - there are no apparent issues as there have been with previous hopefuls so this stands a chance at least of going smoothly!

#389 of 705 Old 01-24-2010, 01:05 AM

Nice, Mariah! We had a kid sleepover with grandparents in the summer, but I mostly worried.

I'm currently drooling over properties on the Sunshine Coast. I have dreams of having dh work part time and me having my lovely 2 acres or so. Mmmm. But they remain much more dreams than reality.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#390 of 705 Old 01-24-2010, 01:56 AM

Well, widemouthedfrog, they CAN become reality. It's been over two years since DH and I formulated this dream...and it looks like it may finally happen. So go ahead and dream!

I have to say, I have a whole new appreciation for MIL. She took amazing care of the kids, and always acts like it's a privelege and not a favour. She is super with them, patient and kind. She also cleaned my fridge (it was pretty neglected on the inside, she cleaned out drawers and everything!) and my oven (which was really quite scary). She spends summers in the Cariboo but I'll miss having this when we move!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page