Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Sugared Mountains & Bare Branches - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It might well be that I'm overly sensitive (I am still nursing, but I thought oxytocin is supposed to increase trust? )

In any case, thank you ladies, I appreciate your kind responses.

Btw, I'm trying to get an appointment with Dr. DeLevie, so that is moving along slowly.

Ugh...I need to make the lunches for my guys, so off I go to the kitchen.

Vira, mom to Sophia (06/08) and step-mom to Vlad (09/98)
#482 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 09:39 AM

hi mamas, new + old
i thought a great solution (especially given extreme weather) that a friend of mine brought up is to hold the olympics in the *same place* every year - so that you hire security + train them, done, you build the structures once, done, and if you want to go and see them, then you do. i don't see how the olympics benefits cities, they are repeatedly so expensive...isn't montreal taking 20 years to pay theirs off? it is benefiting a small few, and environmentally, socially, i am appalled about it.
i'm not a sports fan either, but i really love watching the olympics on tv...some of it is really amazing. i'd rather there were cultural olympics myself, mind you

#483 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 01:10 PM

Wow, I don't check in all of yesterday and I missed a lot of hubbub!

Since we're airing out our views on the Olympics, can I just say that I'm cautiously on the side FOR the Olympics? I'm like Vira (Girafee) in that I've been the "new" person in various communities (both in real life and on-line) and I understand feeling the pride in where you're from and where you are now. You feel like showing it off to the world.

Is Vancouver a world class city? I think it depends on who you ask. I think the organizers *want* it to be, hence all the expence to promote Vancouver and its environment. I think that by the end of all this, people will be more aware that Vancouver exists. Whether they will actually want to come visit or move here is another story. Many people I've talked to in my travels over my lifetime only think of Canada as Toronto. They only think of Igloos, eskimos and the RCMP. I even met one person in Washington state who had *never* crossed the border into Canada, and she was 50+ years old and lived in Marysville, which is maybe an hour from the border. She wasn't even aware that our climate is the same as her's. It was an eye opening experience for me as to how clueless some people are of Canada.

I'm all for promoting Vancouver and Canada. I think the objective is to get the awareness out there and to generate some international businesses to do business with us. I would hope that by doing so, money comes in eventually offset the cost of "hosting" this "party".

That said, I would really hate for us to be paying for this party over 30 years, as Montreal has had to do. They only just recently paid their debt off.

Could there have been less spending? Definately. But I think the idea behind some of the schemes has been to unite Canada and Canadians to show pride in our country. Someone mentioned the torch run. Yes, it could've been done more efficiently. Go dirctly from each capital city via plane. Boom, everything would've been done in 24 hours. However, the point was to give Canadians a chance to be a part of this event, whether they lived in Port Hardy or in Ottawa.

Will I be going downtown to take in some of the events? I sure hope so. I *want* to be a part of this. I want to be able to say to my kids that we were there. I don't have any tickets to anything because we can't afford it, but I hope to be able to join in on some of the atmosphere. Btw, I was at Expo 86 too, and I remember how much fun I had. I think that Vancouver really did grow as a city because of that international exposure.

IMO, the money is already spent. There's really nothing to be gained in public protesting other than to embarass the city. Its not like we're going to be hosting another Olympics again here in our lifetime so its not like the protesting is going to prevent the Olympics from coming again.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#484 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
I understand feeling the pride in where you're from and where you are now. You feel like showing it off to the world.
This is part of why I can't relate to any of this. I don't feel like showing it off to the world...not even a little bit.

Quote:
I think that by the end of all this, people will be more aware that Vancouver exists. Whether they will actually want to come visit or move here is another story. Many people I've talked to in my travels over my lifetime only think of Canada as Toronto. They only think of Igloos, eskimos and the RCMP. I even met one person in Washington state who had *never* crossed the border into Canada, and she was 50+ years old and lived in Marysville, which is maybe an hour from the border. She wasn't even aware that our climate is the same as her's. It was an eye opening experience for me as to how clueless some people are of Canada.
This is a good example of why I don't care. If someone can't figure out that a city a couple hour's drive to the north is going to have a pretty similar climate, just because that city is on the other side of a man-made border, I can't imagine caring what they think about said city. The woman didn't cross the border or care about Vancouver after Expo. I doubt the Olympics will be any different.

Or, maybe they will be. My MIL, in Knoxville, says she has three women at work who want to see Vancouver some day, because they've seen some ads or an online slide show or something, and think it looks beautiful. That's all well and good, but ads can be run, and slide shows put together, without hosting the Olympics.

Quote:
I'm all for promoting Vancouver and Canada. I think the objective is to get the awareness out there and to generate some international businesses to do business with us. I would hope that by doing so, money comes in eventually offset the cost of "hosting" this "party".
Personally, I'm highly doubtful that it will. It would be nice, but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote:
Could there have been less spending? Definately. But I think the idea behind some of the schemes has been to unite Canada and Canadians to show pride in our country. Someone mentioned the torch run. Yes, it could've been done more efficiently. Go dirctly from each capital city via plane. Boom, everything would've been done in 24 hours. However, the point was to give Canadians a chance to be a part of this event, whether they lived in Port Hardy or in Ottawa.
I don't think I'm wired like other people or something. I don't feel even remotely part of this event, and it's right here. I know a lot of people feel differently, as people do actually go and attend the torch relays. Personally, I saw a notice that the torch is coming to Lonsdale Quay next Wednesday, and vowed not to move one inch west of where I live that morning. Watching a torch get passed from one person I don't know to another person I don't know doesn't make me feel like part of anythng.

Quote:
Btw, I was at Expo 86 too, and I remember how much fun I had. I think that Vancouver really did grow as a city because of that international exposure.
It's hard for me to say for sure, because I was only 18, and not that clued into a lot of aspects of it, but I think we did, too. It sucks. Vancouver is hemmed in by water and mountains and farmland (although the farmland is always on someone's potential chopping block). Growth just means crowding. It's really all fairly irrelevant to me. I just wish they'd waited until 2014, when I'll have probably already been driven out by the growth. In another 10 years, this might or might not be a "world-class city". It will almost certainly be a lot uglier, dirtier and more crowded than it is now. Fortunately, the crowds can't do much about the natural beauty of the harbour and the mountains, though.

Quote:
IMO, the money is already spent. There's really nothing to be gained in public protesting other than to embarass the city. Its not like we're going to be hosting another Olympics again here in our lifetime so its not like the protesting is going to prevent the Olympics from coming again.
True. It's way too late to actually prevent this.

Thanks for chiming in, Ellaine. The more I hear from the "pro" side, the more I feel like an alien, but I'm fairly used to that. DH also wants to go downtown and "take it all in" or something. He's welcome to go, and the kids can go with him if they want to. I'll stay home, as I'd just spoil it - whatever "it" is - for everyone. I'm so utterly sick of red mittens, ugly red and white Canadiana, etc. that I could scream. Freaking Maplewood Farm is all done up in inflatable red and white...things (batons? maybe?). I'm so fed up with all this nonsense that I'm not even interested in finding out when the figure skating and ice dancing are happening. I usually enjoy those.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#485 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
hi mamas, new + old
i thought a great solution (especially given extreme weather) that a friend of mine brought up is to hold the olympics in the *same place* every year - so that you hire security + train them, done, you build the structures once, done, and if you want to go and see them, then you do. i don't see how the olympics benefits cities, they are repeatedly so expensive...isn't montreal taking 20 years to pay theirs off? it is benefiting a small few, and environmentally, socially, i am appalled about it.
i'm not a sports fan either, but i really love watching the olympics on tv...some of it is really amazing. i'd rather there were cultural olympics myself, mind you

A *great* idea! Not to mention a supurb way to plan for all of the waste generated by said events. Don't people realize how much garbage gets put into circulation for these events?? When people are in a hurry, they don't necessarily stop to look for garbage cans, and if they're overflowing due to busy-ness, they will throw stuff anywhere. And the one-day-use-plastic stuff to fill up our landfills afterwards, literally. makes. me. want. to. cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post

Personally, I saw a notice that the torch is coming to Lonsdale Quay next Wednesday, and vowed not to move one inch west of where I live that morning. Watching a torch get passed from one person I don't know to another person I don't know doesn't make me feel like part of anythng.
Well, I'm boxed in for the torch relay! It comes over our new fancy-shmancy bridge (that coincidentally was completed in time the Oly's...) and then moves like a slow train through all of the communities, ending up at the Langley Events Centre (which also was coincidentally completed in time for the Oly's...) surrounding our rural slice'o'nirvana...I'll be stuck in traffic no matter which direction I try to go. I'm hoping for sun, and then I can putter in the garden with the boys...

Quote:

In another 10 years, this might or might not be a "world-class city". It will almost certainly be a lot uglier, dirtier and more crowded than it is now. Fortunately, the crowds can't do much about the natural beauty of the harbour and the mountains, though.

No, but they can eventually block many views.

I grew up in Richmond, and I am shocked every time I go back. The dirt and garbage and upscale-but-never-maintained-urban plantings were an eyesore. Money was continually spent on installing "green" spaces (to replace what Richmond naturally had, after bulldozing it all), and 6 months later no one ever came back to prune, to weed, to care for said plantings. The soil used was cheap, and the imported weed seeds and pervasive weeds from that soil, like morning glory and blackberry took off and with no one to stop them, continue to obliterate the plants in there. As a gardener and previous landscaper this really ticks me off! It looks so ugly, and when it looks neglected, in come the coffee cups, 7-11 cups and the other assorted garbage that gets thrown down. Richmond used to be glorious; with all of the growth it is a now a much less attractive city. And a big 'ol cement hallway supporting the skytrain makes one of the nicer shopping areas from recent years (when I grew up there were many walkable places, with patches of pasture dotted here and there) a disgusting place to try to walk.

Storm Bride, I don't think you're an alien...just sensitive to the negative changes...out here, aside from planning the torch deally, it's fairly quiet in terms of "display". Swing out to a farm our way, it's a whole different atmosphere.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#486 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
This is part of why I can't relate to any of this. I don't feel like showing it off to the world...not even a little bit.

Thanks for chiming in, Ellaine. The more I hear from the "pro" side, the more I feel like an alien, but I'm fairly used to that.
No, I don't think you're an alien Lisa. I think a lot of Canadians feel the way you do, that they don't care to show off to the world. I think this way of thinking *is* a part of our culture. Showing off has been more of an American way of thinking whereas Canadians are more reserved.

I actually think that all this patriotism is actually a neat thing, to see all the red, white and maple leaves all around.

Btw, I'm actually surprised at myself for speaking up on this topic because I'm normally a very reserved person and don't express my opinions for fear of confrontation, ESPECIALLY on such a sensitive topic like this. But for some reason, I felt the need to say something about this.

Oh, and I forgot to say "Hello!" to Vira. Nice to see you on this forum.

#487 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
There's really nothing to be gained in public protesting other than to embarass the city.
As a paramedic who has been forced back to work during a major and serious labour dispute, my union brothers and sisters and I will be protesting to bring some much needed light to our struggle and to point out to the world that our government has violated labour laws and our collective agreement by legislating us back to work during their party.

And I will be joining legions of protesters who are taking to the streets for similar reasons, whatever their cause is that has been plowed under by this spectacle.

Having said all that ... I love the diversity of opinions and welcome them all. And welcome to the boards, Vira! Don't let our passionate debates scare you off, we're a good bunch of peeps!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#488 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
I for example, think homeopathics is an overpriced scam by someone who is mathematically incompetent, but I would probably be in the minority here.
You may be the minority Lori but you are not alone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffee View Post
It might well be that I'm overly sensitive (I am still nursing, but I thought oxytocin is supposed to increase trust? )
I'm convinced that I'll stop tearing up at every little thing when I stop breastfeeding..... only another year or three I'd never heard abot increased trust, but I sure do believe that it makes us overly sensitive!

Oh, and you may be "new" to MDC but a few of us recognize you from other lists that a bunch of us are a part of.

Quote:
Many people I've talked to in my travels over my lifetime only think of Canada as Toronto. They only think of Igloos, eskimos and the RCMP. I even met one person in Washington state who had *never* crossed the border into Canada, and she was 50+ years old and lived in Marysville, which is maybe an hour from the border. She wasn't even aware that our climate is the same as her's. It was an eye opening experience for me as to how clueless some people are of Canada.
I was crossing the border at Windsor Ontario many years back and there was a carload of Americans in line headed into Canada. They were all out of their vehicle in the line-up putting on thier snow gear. IN JULY! so, uh, yeah, lots of ignorance out there about Canada. I don't think that the way the games have been promoted are going to dispell any of the common myths though. Hockey and Inukshuks? Really? How many people across Canada really relate with an Inukshuk? Even in BC? I'll agree that the native Canadian culture is prevalent here, but the be all and end all of what BC is? I don't agree with that.

We may be heading to some of the free events in Surrey. I mean, really, we're walking distance to them, so we may as well. But I hate crowds. I'll have to see if there is stuff going on during the week when most kids are in school and there will be fewer people.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#489 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 05:32 PM

Ah, well, I am very neutral on the subject. We had a season's pass for Expo and I thought that it was amazing. But I also remember all of the concern around moving the homeless out of False Creek. I remember the Olympic torch coming by for Calgary - a very vivid memory from my childhood, actually. And I think that amateur athletics rock. I always watch the Olympics.

However, I am appalled by spending whacking amounts of money on anything except programs with a very tangible social or environmental benefit.

We will likely go to a couple of free concerts, and we're going to a Paralympic event or two. And we might go to a protest -we would be happy to support the paramedics. Dd has decided that she wants to be a paramedic, but that will probably change tomorrow.

I like the idea of holding the Olympics in one place. Or making it like a World Cup or something - I'd feel a lot better with a low-budget Olympics that was really about the athletics and not all about the party and showing off.

And I am irritated that the North Shore is going to be shut down next Wednesday, as I am trying to get to the first session of a program I'm facilitating that does have lasting social benefits.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#490 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 PM

*sigh*
DD1 and ds2 just got a birthday invitation for Crash Crawleys, in Coquitlam, on the 20th. I guess I have to budge off the North Shore, after all.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#491 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 05:45 PM

I was talking to my good friend in Vancouver last night who is an Olympic supporter (while understanding the opposition and agreeing all at the same time) and there are sporting events out there that are only like $40/ticket. Which is pretty cheap tickets to almost anything these days -- I think she's going to see the semi-finals of the women's hockey, so it's some of the less popular games that are not terribly expensive, if anyone is thinking about seeing any of them.

There are some positives to the games, one being that a ton of housing for the homeless has been created (23 new shelters she said) and while you can be cynical and say "well, they just wanted to get them off the streets for the olympics" I can tell you that the motives behind it is not that at all -- there needed to be more shelters built, and the money coming in for the olympics was a good way to have them built. all the olympic village stuff was supposed to be a certain percentage low-income housing, is that still happening? and it's not all big mucky mucks who are getting their pockets lined, a normally down-on-his-luck artist friend of ours was hired to decorate/arrange the lounge for the athletes, so that has been great for him and the student he hired to help him. He does that professionally (gets bars and clubs and art galleries etc ready for events) but this job has been great for him. just wanted to let you know that a couple of regular joes are benefitting from all this crazy! I imagine there are others...

with the torch relay, I don't know why they didn't fly the flame from greece to the east coast and run it to the west coast -- they went from west to east and back again, right? flying it would have been lame, sorry ellaine. it is traditionally run, and I think that part is cool, but I don't know why they did it the way they did...

anyway, I can see the positives and the negatives, and hereby remain on the fence! They probably shouldn't have happened in the first place, but once they were going to happen I think I would put my protest efforts into making sure the promises that were made in the beginning (low-income housing, etc) were kept.

and if I may say, I'd also be glad that gregor is mayor during all of this, as he's doing his best to keep it as eco-friendly as possible, as beneficial to the community as possible, etc. My friend I spoke to last night is very close with the robertsons and they were telling her about how "green" the new buildings are -- revolutionary in many ways, first of their kind in north america, yada yada. so it's a good time to showcase green building. erica, are you around, can you offer your expert spouse opinion on that? obviously he's only one guy in the midst of a lot of planners, so not everything will be eco-friendly, but at least the effort is there...

and giraffe, please try to not feel in any way attacked here, you and all your CRAZY opinions are welcome.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#492 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
As a paramedic who has been forced back to work during a major and serious labour dispute, my union brothers and sisters and I will be protesting to bring some much needed light to our struggle and to point out to the world that our government has violated labour laws and our collective agreement by legislating us back to work during their party.

And I will be joining legions of protesters who are taking to the streets for similar reasons, whatever their cause is that has been plowed under by this spectacle.
I agree, snowplowing your dispute is objectionable. Laughable, actually considering they need your services during this time. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for settling the labour dispute. Its gone on for long enough and they've had ample time before the Olympics to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
I like the idea of holding the Olympics in one place. Or making it like a World Cup or something - I'd feel a lot better with a low-budget Olympics that was really about the athletics and not all about the party and showing off.
I actually like having the Olympics in a different city/country every few years. I'm, for practical purposes, an armchair traveller now and having the opportunity to see all the different countries and learn about their culture, even on TV, is a great thing. I certainly learned more about Norway at their Olympics than I ever thought I would.

If it were held in a central location all the time, wouldn't that kinda be like a Las Vegas? It lacks a certain cultural authenticity.

While on that note about culture... I think they had to lump all of Canadian culture in a very condensed fashion and promote it as such just because thats what visitors expect. How exciting would it be if we only promoted Whistler and Vancouver? In many ways, we're more american than the rest of the country.

If I was an international visitor who knew nothing of Canada and came to Vancouver for the Olympics, I'd like to experience a little of everything, even if it comes across as a little corny. If it perked my interest, chances are I'll do a little more research and learn about the real thing for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
I was talking to my good friend in Vancouver last night who is an Olympic supporter (while understanding the opposition and agreeing all at the same time) and there are sporting events out there that are only like $40/ticket. Which is pretty cheap tickets to almost anything these days -- I think she's going to see the semi-finals of the women's hockey, so it's some of the less popular games that are not terribly expensive, if anyone is thinking about seeing any of them.
I'm sorry, but even $40 per person is out of my budget, nevermind the fact that I might not even be interested in that sport. My main goal is to expose my family to the Olympics and that would include my kids. I can't imagine that there would be special kid prices on stuff so that would mean $40x4=$160, plus AFAIK, since you're not allowed to bring in any food/drinks, big backpacks etc. you're limited to buying food on-site which I'm sure will be $$. Also, the only credit cards accepted are through VISA. There was a kurfuffle about this a couple of weeks ago. Something about VISA having paid for the exclusive rights, so only VISA and debit cards (through VISA) and cash are accepted? I'm fuzzy on the details...

#493 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I saw a notice that the torch is coming to Lonsdale Quay next Wednesday,
The noon ceremony is at Lynn Valley Town Centre - that's where my chorus is singing.

Well, it certainly is true that there is always a silver lining to every cloud. I just wish the powers that be hadn't made this such an unnecessarily big cloud.

Tiffani - the social housing that the Athlete's Village was supposed to supply will likely not happen. The original developer went belly-up and the city had to take over the responsibility to complete the project. With cost overruns and all, the city has said that there is a strong possibility that there will not be any social housing there. AFAIK, the only shelters built have mostly been temporary. Which is fine, but not something to brag about, eh? And the fact that we have so many homeless... *that's* embarassing, and directly tied to our province's record of having the lowest social assistance rates. Of course it's not entirely our fault - many of our homeless actually come from other places because the weather is less awful here.

As for spending cuts being directly tied to Olympic spending - the politicians aren't quite stupid enough to make direct correlations. But if they can't afford certain social programs, but they can afford fancy Olympic events, isn't that a case of completely screwed up priorities?

I really do like the idea of always having it in one place... one for Summer and one for Winter. Then various countries can maintain their own tourist-attracting pavillions.

Quote:
I actually like having the Olympics in a different city/country every few years. I'm, for practical purposes, an armchair traveller now and having the opportunity to see all the different countries and learn about their culture, even on TV, is a great thing. I certainly learned more about Norway at their Olympics than I ever thought I would.
Well, but how authentic is what you're seeing? I think it's far more informative to watch actual travel shows. Have you seen The Long Way Round? Or Long Way Down? Wacky foreign places *and* Ewan McGregor. And there's some fabulous cooking shows that feature particular places around the world. We've often watched the one with the young man touring Italy and having different "grannies" and "aunties" taking him shopping and then cooking a meal with him.

As for "being like Vegas" - it's actually becoming a trend now in big events to pick one location and stick with it. It doesn't always work, but sometimes it does. For example, in my singing organization, we belong to the Western Canadian region. It's the biggest region in the International organization, in terms of geographic area. They really wanted us to try sticking with one location, so our regional folks got a deal from the city of Calgary to do it there. Trouble is, 60% of the region's members are either in the Lower Mainland or on the Island. And we used to have it in BC one year, and in AB or SK the next. So we're none too pleased about that. Plus, who wants to go to Calgary every year? We are however THRILLED that for 3 years (2015-2017) the International competition will be held in Vegas. In ONE hotel (the MGM Grand). Vegas is cheap to get to for everyone and being all in one place will be great - no more slow buses all over the place. We never have time to visit the places we go to anyway.

Calvin and I were reading a comic-style picture book about the original Olympics. It was very interesting. They were indeed held in a single location, for nearly 1200 years. Of course not everything about them was good! Only men competed, naked at that, and married women weren't even allowed to watch.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#494 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Len

I've been trying to catch up in the last couple of days since all this Olympic and what not conversation started, and I've been like and I know anything I say could and would be used against me so I will just say that I was one of the ones who voted "against", I stood under winter rain protesting against the highway to Whistler (which runs up the hill from where we live, and it ended up happening anyway) and no I am not happy with how a lot of the things are being handled, but really, I think I have decided to just take what's positive about all this and try to enjoy!

I agree with everything that Tiffani just said a couple of posts above, and I also like Robertson being the mayor in turn I personally know regular people who are working for the olympics and are making decent money plus enjoying the once in a life opportunity, also volunteers (whose choice I personally don't understand!) who are also happy to be there standing hours on end and smile just because they want to....

Our business has only slightly benefited from this, and it's hard to tell now whether it will continue this way after March.

So I am trying to be positive because I don't like to inspire hate/unhappy feelings into my kids. As much as I tell the 10 yo about all the bad political moves (he was there at the highway protest when he was 6) I also believe there are a lot of ways to be inspired, and we will do our best to soak up on this.

A couple of young athletes are either graduates or siblings from ds's school and I don't have a reason not to cheer on them. In my opinion, —and putting aside the fact that it's "coke" and "mcdonalds" who are ironically sponsoring them— athletes put up all their best effort and work very hard to get to where they are, and I don't hesitate to show my admiration and applause.

And Giraffe you may be hormonal but I also felt pretty bad when you were told that being new here didn't qualify you to your opinion I don't think at all that is what was intended, but it sure sounded like that!

#495 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
Well, but how authentic is what you're seeing? I think it's far more informative to watch actual travel shows. Have you seen The Long Way Round? Or Long Way Down? Wacky foreign places *and* Ewan McGregor. And there's some fabulous cooking shows that feature particular places around the world. We've often watched the one with the young man touring Italy and having different "grannies" and "aunties" taking him shopping and then cooking a meal with him.

Calvin and I were reading a comic-style picture book about the original Olympics. It was very interesting. They were indeed held in a single location, for nearly 1200 years. Of course not everything about them was good! Only men competed, naked at that, and married women weren't even allowed to watch.
Oh I know its not authentic, hence my "corny" comment. But like I said, if it perks my interest, I'll probably keep it in mind to find out more about it. I realize though that not everyone is like that and may believe that whatever corniness they see, they'll believe is authentic.

I actually do love travel shows, whenever I can get to see them. I particularly love foreign cooking shows. Jamie Oliver, 2 Fat Ladies, etc. because they are just so different from the life I know.

Can you imagine watching naked male Olympics? I get a silly grin just at the thought!: Oh, and married women weren't allowed to watch but everyone else was??!!

#496 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
I'm convinced that I'll stop tearing up at every little thing when I stop breastfeeding..... only another year or three
Tell me about it... I don't think DD is planning to self-wean any time soon, but I have my hopes for night-weaning her in summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Inukshuks? Really? How many people across Canada really relate with an Inukshuk? Even in BC?
I can! I can! Thanks to my son's school actually. They did inukshuks at school in Grade 3-4 and they learned about the story behind them and we build them when we are on the beach or in the mountains, because we like the tradition and it makes the kids think about the land we are walking on.

Ellaine I miss coming to the meet-ups, so I need some mama-communication at least on the boards

And again, thank you all who welcomed me here

Vira, mom to Sophia (06/08) and step-mom to Vlad (09/98)
#497 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 08:07 PM

I vote for male-only winter Olympics. Heh heh heh.

Oh, and a very large organization that I am part of has held their international meeting in the same place for the last ~8 years (they do it every other year). Apparently they've had many benefits. Lower stress levels about infrastructure, to be sure.

Ellp, if you like armchair travel, I find Knowledge Network after 7 pm to be very good for that sort of thing. Of course, now it has me desperate to go to Costa Rica with dd next year for a month...which we may well do.

And my dd recently self-weaned at 4 1/2, for the record. She did night wean at 2 1/2, though. If I ask her if she's weaned, she'll inform me that she still nurses, though. Apparently it's when I'm not looking?

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#498 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 PM

I think the Inukshuk was an awesome choice for a symbol. I'm glad they chose something from BC's native culture.

Only time will tell, I suppose, about the housing situation... once the olympians are gone and the totals are tallied... hoping they are able to make good on their original ideas...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#499 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
And Giraffe you may be hormonal but I also felt pretty bad when you were told that being new here didn't qualify you to your opinion I don't think at all that is what was intended, but it sure sounded like that!

And once again, I am soo sorry for it to have come out sounding like that..providing some background was really what I was trying to communicate. I am learning that it is better for me to

1) not type responses when in a hurry, and
2) to not type responses, when my thinking isn't clear about how I want the reader(s) to receive what I write.

My intention with our tribe is to include and understand all of you and to be, and feel connected. I am sorry everyone, that my response sounded so knee-jerk in its' delivery. I'm feeling embarrassed.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#500 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Erin, don't feel bad at all, I didn't read it that way at all, for the record. so much of typed communication is in the assumption, and I guess since I know you in real life and know how considerate and thoughtful you are, I knew you didn't mean anything negative by what you wrote.

#501 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I think the Inukshuk was an awesome choice for a symbol. I'm glad they chose something from BC's native culture.
I grew up in Vancouver. Many of my friends growing up were First Nations (actually, if I wanted it, I qualify for Metis status, which is just bizarre to me). I'd never even heard of an Inukshuk until I was in my 20s, and most of my First Nations friends have no connection to them whatsoever. They're really more of a northern thing, imo...maybe they'd make sense if the Olympics weren't happening in a city on the border, yk? I mean...Iqaluit or Whitehorse would seem like a good venue for Winter Olympics. Maybe Prince George or something...heck, even Whistler. But...Vancouver? It's just odd.

Lori...
Quote:
Of course not everything about them was good! Only men competed, naked at that, and married women weren't even allowed to watch.
Well, if they want to bring that back, and let us married women watch, I'd be good with that! But...probably not for skiing and skating!

ETA: Another issue i have with the whole thing is flaring up as we get closer. I have it with pro sports, too. I'm sick of "Go, Canada, Go!" (and "Go, Vancouver, Go!" for the Canucks). This is a personal pet peeve, but it does not reflect on this country if some athletes, who have trained hard to get where they are, receive a gold medal. It reflects on them. Back to Ben Johnson (bad example, as his medal was stripped, but he's on my mind right now). In what way does it reflect on my country if a grown man moves here, trains, and wins a gold medal? What if he'd never emigrated, and won a medal for Jamaica? What if he'd trained here, and then decided he wanted to go back to his childhood home? How does any of that reflect on Canada (or Jamaica, for that matter?). I'm Canadian. I'm not competing in the Olympics. I'm not going to win a medal, and hearing and seeing all the "Go, Canada!" stuff makes me nuts. When Rush goes on a world tour, do we see signs saying, "Go, Canada, Go"? No - even though they're one of the world's longest-lived and most successful rock bands. Willard Boyle won a Nobel Prize last year. Where were the "Go, Canada, Go" signs? Surely, we, as a country, can claim as much credit for educating Dr. Boyle as we can for training "our" Olympic athletes. Can't we? I just don't get it, and I find it really, really annoying. All the signs and flags and stuff are like mosquitoes that just won't go away.

The stuffed mascots are kind of cute, but they've probably only won me over because my MIL gave one each to my oldest three, who think they're the cutest stuffies ever. Everything else is just beyond annoying.

#502 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Erin, don't feel bad at all, I didn't read it that way at all, for the record. so much of typed communication is in the assumption, and I guess since I know you in real life and know how considerate and thoughtful you are, I knew you didn't mean anything negative by what you wrote.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#503 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 10:06 PM

ellaine, the tickets are certainly not "affordable family fun" but they aren't outrageous either -- well some of them surely are, but $40/ticket is reasonable for just about any major sporting event. we've been wanting to go to a rugby game here in wellington and it's crazy expensive just to go to a regular season game.

I'm not sure what you'd have as a symbol for just Vancouver... a starbucks disposable coffee cup? I just read why they chose the Inukshuk, and yes, it was more of a symbol of Canada (among other things) than just Vancouver. It seems to me that if the powers that be ignore First Nations culture, they're in trouble, and if they try to showcase it, they're also in trouble... Just because First Nations families growing up in Vancouver weren't aware of the Inukshuk doesn't mean it isn't important to other groups of First Nations people -- I guess for a coastal city like Vancouver, they could have gone with an orca or something? they also have a mythical sea bear, a marmot and a sasquatch as mascots -- my favorite was one fatso the fat-arsed wombat, the unofficial mascot of the sydney summer games.

#504 of 705 Old 02-05-2010, 10:44 PM

How about a Spirit Bear? But then you'd have hoards of reporters treking in to find one...

Naked male WINTER Olympics?! Ooo, now thats cruel...

(hehehe...!)

#505 of 705 Old 02-06-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you'd have as a symbol for just Vancouver... a starbucks disposable coffee cup? I just read why they chose the Inukshuk, and yes, it was more of a symbol of Canada (among other things) than just Vancouver. It seems to me that if the powers that be ignore First Nations culture, they're in trouble, and if they try to showcase it, they're also in trouble... Just because First Nations families growing up in Vancouver weren't aware of the Inukshuk doesn't mean it isn't important to other groups of First Nations people
I believe there are four separate First Nations acting in an official host capacity for the games. I don't think any of them come from a cultural heritage that involves the Inukshuk...maybe showcasing the heritage of the First Nations who are officially involved with the games would make more sense. I could be off base about the Inukshuk, but it seems weird to have the games in Vancouver (when Canada - most of the rest of Canada, in fact - is actually known for being wintery), then choose a symbol that has nothing to do with this area, yk?

Quote:
-- I guess for a coastal city like Vancouver, they could have gone with an orca or something? they also have a mythical sea bear, a marmot and a sasquatch as mascots -- my favorite was one fatso the fat-arsed wombat, the unofficial mascot of the sydney summer games.
There's also an orca (sort of). We have all four...

Anyway, I'm honestly not that fond of that touristy showcasing of First Nations culture, but it seems particularly inappropriate in this case. On the one hand, we're talking about "showing Vancouver to the world", then we're using a symbol that has nothing to do with us, yk?

#506 of 705 Old 02-06-2010, 04:05 AM

When I was in N Van a few weeks ago, I started hearing about all the activities that are planned as part of the Olympics. It does all sound exciting to me.
That being said, I too disagree with how this whole thing has gone down. And coming from a sporty family, I have big issues with all the drugs that are used just "to be the best". I am actually quite uncompetitive.
And yet, Devin is at a great age for this event. His awareness of the world and it's issues is just developing. Our family values are well conversed when it comes to marketing and similar issues. Exposing him to this now will provide real life lessons that I could never recreate. I am totally psyched about all the possible discussions that will come out of it.
The other side of Devin's age is that he is still young and pure enough that, being a sports fanatic himself, he is in awe of what all these young athletes are accomplishing. I mean, do you ever really watch some of these sports and marvel at the skills they have???!!! Never in my wildest dreams could I do a ski jump, or figure skate, or compete under such pressure. That kind of stuff takes hours and hours and hours and years of hard work and dedication. (Even though the whole focus on competition and the mainstream values that come along with that are completely not my thing!)
I think my bottom line is that I don't agree with it. However, like most things in life, it is not clearly black and white. So I will be taking Devin, having some amazing, fun Mama and son time and taking every opportunity to create conversations about the entire experience, good and bad. We will have memories of this experience together that will last a lifetime, and that is a good thing.

Janet is life learning and loving life with: Devin (10/02) :nana and The Littles through Marty (04/06) and Skye (05/08)
#507 of 705 Old 02-06-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Yeah, maybe the Northernmost corner... but I suppose it was like having the danged torch relay go all over - an attempt to be inclusive of a larger proportion of the country than just the west coast.

Quote:
mascots -- my favorite was one fatso the fat-arsed wombat, the unofficial mascot of the sydney summer games.
OMG - thanks so much for sharing that link - I had no idea.

As for the "Go Canada Go"... it actually makes a difference to the competitor in question, and it is a competition between *countries*, which is something that goes right back to the original Games. Again, as someone who competes on an International level (and if there's anyone else here who has done this sort of thing, by all means, pipe up!), being Canadian is a big deal. And having people cheer and chant stuff along that lines... well... it boosts you just that little bit higher. It really does. You feel like you can fly with that kind of support and cheering. As for why it has anything to do with the country... sometimes that's true. But most countries (including ours) do make a financial contribution towards athletes in training, including facilities, coaching costs, travel costs, etc. Good ol' Ben Johnson likely would NOT have won anything, and likely wouldn't have gotten as far as the games without having trained in Canada. Of course, access to the pharmaceutical aids also likely played a role... Daniel Igali - a far more worthy example - also might not have achieved what he did without our government's support.

See, I told y'all I'm a bit schizophrenic about all the Olympic furor! And I'm glad those of you not entirely seething with anger and resentment have spoken out. I'm softening. I'm still mad, but at least I might go see something without being totally hyperventilating in anger.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#508 of 705 Old 02-06-2010, 06:00 AM
Len

Congratulations on the weaning, Tricia & L!!
#509 of 705 Old 02-06-2010, 10:01 AM

yay, tricia!

#510 of 705 Old 02-06-2010, 03:39 PM

Wow, tricia...I missed that. Congratulations!! What a milestone!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page