Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Sugared Mountains & Bare Branches - Page 24 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-19-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK mamas, I'm trying to stop being negative about the Olympics. I'm going with friends to LiveCity Downtown without kids -- arriving there around 5 PM going by skytrain. Suggestions for having a good time? I'm not a crowds person or a standing around outside freezing my butt off person. Oops, I was going to stop being negative . But we're planning to see figure skating on the big outdoor screen.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2010, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
flowmom, you will be OUT, and KID-FREE, how could anything about that be negative? have fun!!

My friends Keltie and Salem, who are in Uganda waiting to bring their kids home, visited an orphanage yesterday that is run by two 20 year old men. There are 4 caregivers and 80 children, sometimes one caregiver and 40 full time kids -- the other 40 are like daycare/feeding program kids. They have next to nothing, barely enough food to feed the kids, and sleep 3 kids to each single bed. Keltie and Salem's first priority is mosquito nets, and if they raise more money than what is needed for mosquito nets, they'll buy them some food staples. If you're interested in donating any amount of money to them, or know anyone who might be, you can email Salem at [email protected]. If you're considering donating, contact her right away, they want to do this as soon as possible, as she'll be leaving Uganda fairly soon, and they want to give this orphanage "stuff" as opposed to money, to be sure it's serving the needs of the kids.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:22 PM

here's a link with a paypal button and more information (and photos!) about the orphanage.
http://medicaladvocacyteam.blogspot....i-project.html

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:52 AM

We just got back from DH's bday/valentine's dinner (our first dinner out since September) and got to walk around Robson, Granville and see the couldron. What a ton of people, and I just love the positive vibe that can be felt with happy pedestrians everywhere! We were near the big CBC screen on Robson just as Jon Montgomery won the gold and the crowd went crazy! I couldn't help walking around with a smile.

I don't do line ups either, but don't mind crowds and we had a good time just walking around the soaking up the atmosphere.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
Old 02-21-2010, 12:31 AM

Does anyone know when the Royal Cdn Mint pavillion is going to be open till? I went with the kids again today and the line up was 6hrs long. Obviously we didn't go, it was just insane!

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

Old 02-21-2010, 01:55 AM

We went to curling and had a blast... it was actually more fun than I expected... the fans were all awesome! and the kdis had a blast and learned a lot about curling... we also went to ladie's halfpipe which was also great but the walk from the bus to the stands was 3km then you have to walk up 215 plus stairs to get to your seats (and back down again to use a bathroom or get a drink!) so I found that day a little hard with the kids!!! even I was exhausted after that walk and climb!!!

Tomorrow dh and I are going to hockey without the kids... we're going to try to get tickets to the Canada-USA game after we see the Russia-Czech one but we're not willing to pay crazy prices so we'll see... luckily we have a backup plan cause we got invited to a hockey party across the street... so we'll what happens!! we definitely have olympic fever lol!

has anyone been to the o-zone in Surry or Richmond? we are wondering if those are worth checking out... I heard there is free things for the kids to do there?

meanwhile... we are packing and planning!!! crazy busy time... but life is good

btw... I think nettles are very easy to identify, maybe that's just because when I used to work in the woods I learned to avoid them

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
Old 02-21-2010, 02:06 AM

The RCMP musical ride and the agility dogs are at the Surrey Pavillion. Not really "olympic" stuff perse but worth checking out. The problem with this is that people have been showing up at 11am to get tickets to the 3pm and 8pm shows for the RCMP Musical Ride. They have a "rush" line to get in as well, but they tend to have only 100 extra spaces from there so you have to be in that line by 2pm to get in for the 3pm show. The good thing is that most people are understanding and if you leave DH in line and take the kids to get snacks, try curling or toboganning or skating, then come back, no one has a fit about it. I think we're going to try to go to the 8pm show on Wednesday. If anyone wants to come out that night I'd be happy to pick up tickets at 11am and meet you there around 7:30.

The agility dog show is at 5pm and is first come first serve. Not sure how busy it has been.

More info here http://www.surrey2010.com/activities.html

ETA: The dog show is only on Sat and Sun. Also, I will be there with friends to see one of the concerts tomorrow night, so if anyone wants me to get tickets for tomorrow night's show I'd be happy to do that too. I live within a few blocks of the Surrey Pavillion.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 AM

I spent 3 hours at Crash Crawly's today. That place is awesome for kids, but...wow, I'm wiped. DS2 had a blast.

We've decided that we probably won't take the kids downtown again. I think we're going to park at dh's office (near Lonsdale Quay), and then go take in the kid-oriented festivities at the Quay. When it starts getting dark, we'll go up to the office, check out the cauldron again (from across the water, but I'm okay with that - the "up close" view we got was pretty lame), and go home.

I've been enjoying watching the figure skating on tv, but other than that, I'm just not into any of this.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Old 02-21-2010, 03:36 AM

Does anyone want to see Men's Giant Slalom in Whistler on Tuesday? The preschool was given a pair of tix, but now with the date change to Tuesday, nobody is able to go. PM me if interested - looking for face value of $85 each. DH wanted to go, but I vetoed - he's already going to 3 hockey games!

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
Old 02-21-2010, 04:43 AM

Flowmom, Robson Square is pretty good. Lots of shows of various kinds, no lineups (just pick yourself a spot on the steps), and fun vibe. Everywhere is crowded where stuff is going on, especially around big outdoor screens. But it's probably much less annoying when you don't have kids to contain. The really long flight of stairs on the South side is covered with a big awning, so it's a little warmer there, but you'll still want to dress in layers, and bring a little something to sit on (or just grab a free newspaper on transit!). But there's no screen to watch there, just performances. They're projecting some stuff on the side of the Sears building there, but not all the time. Granville between Robson and Georgia has lots of neat things to look at. And if you want to escape the crowds a little, just move over a street or two and it's like a ghost town! If you're wanting a warm quiet place to watch, the "Bell Ice Cube" at the glass atrium entrance to Pacific Centre (which is open 'til 11 every day) has two TV's showing Olympic events, and some stools to sit on. And there's a coffee shop right there too.

We're planning to go again Monday, and then do our final trip on Thursday, when I'm hoping to see part of a show at Atlantic Canada House.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
Old 02-21-2010, 06:07 AM

We are heading downtown tomorrow to spend some of the day roaming, then taking in the Victory Ceremony at BC Place. Figures it will be the first time Canada doesn't receive a medal .

Anyone up for starting a new thread?? Page 18 & the mountains aren't so 'sugared' any more...how about 'flowers are in bloom'

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
Anyone up for starting a new thread?? Page 18 & the mountains aren't so 'sugared' any more...how about 'flowers are in bloom'
Well, some of them are! And with all this clear weather, Calvin and Em noticed Mt. Baker, and it looks like a great lump of quartz, it's so white still.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
Old 02-22-2010, 04:21 AM

I think it's been kinda nice not to change threads every month, but it probably is time for a new one. histle:

Anyone mind if I turn our discussion to health for a minute? I'm wondering if those of you with thyroid issues happen to know if there is a link between hypothyroidism and uterine fibroids? All I can find is a 1929 paper that shows no causal effect but some link. I'm wondering if I should be pushing for thyroid testing again because I know I have fibroids, they are getting worse and I'm tired and just... sluggish. (and the family history of thyroid issues).

Oh, and I went to see ODDS in concert at the Surrey Pavillion tonight with DD and a friend and they opened with Oh Canada! and the entire crowd sang and it was pretty cool My hormonal self almost got teary!

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post
Has anyone seen that Tim Horton's ad where the guy picks up his family (from Africa) at the airport? I saw it for the first time today at the Ambulance Station, and I bawled. I couldn't help it. I hid behind the book I was reading and bawled.

So, hormonal mess, I'm right there with you, Giraffee.
Hormonal mess. That's me.
I just saw the commercial! Thank God I have a double monitor, and I could hide behind it.... Wahhh...

Vira, mom to Sophia (06/08) and step-mom to Vlad (09/98)
Old 02-23-2010, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
and c'mon over to the new thread...

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung

User Tag List