Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Sugared Mountains & Bare Branches - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No suggestions about keeping track. I used to be really good at it, but I've completely lost it over the last few years. I think I have about twice as much as I need for ds1's stocking, and dd1's and ds2's are almost empty.

This Christmas season has been chaotic. I'm behind on everything - shopping, baking, the aforementioned Self Design reporting - you name it. We haven't even got our outside lights up!

And, on Monday, I spent most of the day in the car, running errands for myself, dropping off/picking up ds2 at preschool, taking my nephew to the pediatrician, and my sister grocery shopping. She's now in the hospital, in the cardiac unit, and I'm spending a lot of time trying to pretend I'm not freaked out. I can't seem to collect my thoughts or get organized...

I should go make my pfefferneusse. That would only leave a batch of gingerbread and a pile of pastry for mincemeat tarts...and a ton of wrapping. I've also lost 2-3 of my gifts.

I'm going to remember this Christmas for a while. I think (hope) I've reached my absolute pinnacle of complete disorganization!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#122 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I should go make my pfefferneusse. That would only leave a batch of gingerbread and a pile of pastry for mincemeat tarts...and a ton of wrapping. I've also lost 2-3 of my gifts.
This might be hard to do, and tough on your pride, but go buy some pre-made tart shells! Sometimes, as moms, we just have to admit when we've got too much on our plates.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#123 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
This might be hard to do, and tough on your pride, but go buy some pre-made tart shells! Sometimes, as moms, we just have to admit when we've got too much on our plates.
Oh - I've caved on the pasty thing almost completely. It stresses me out, and dh likes the storebought ones as well, or maybe better. I've also bought a gingerbread house kit this year, when I prefer to make my own gingerbread. But, the way my family does mincemeat tarts is a little different than a classic tart. The premade shells don't work, because they're not the right size and shape.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#124 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

I second the vote to ease up on your expectations Storm Bride! I'm not giving gifts to adults this year, nor am I baking anything. I'm not sending cards to anyone. We've had some crafting playdates and we're going to the cabin. A small number of gifts will be under the tree and the stockings will be stuffed. We're doing outdoor activities. But that's about it. It's a relief to be nice to myself.

sharing life with | 9.5 yo ds | 7 yo dd | love of my life new husband

#125 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 PM

I've cut back quite a bit, but I actually love baking. The real problem is that ds2 has gone kind of crazy again (over excited about Christmas, I think). However, dd1 and I had already planned to give out some tins of baking to some of her neighbourhood friends, and she's really been looking forward to it. I don't want to turn around now and tell her she can't do it, yk?

I think I can manage everything reasonably well, if I don't let myself get into too much of a tizzy about my sister. That's a bit iffy right now, but hopefully I can pull myself together a bit...

#126 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 07:18 PM

Hello all!

Just popping in with a quick hello!! We just went and got new-to-us downhill and cross-country skis for the kids, and some of the stuff we need......gotta get out in this wonderful snow we've been having! This is our major holiday gift this year.....so a double gift, in that our shopping is primarily done too!!!!

Stormbride, I'm going to third the be easy on yourself statements.......holiday baking is just as good in the new year! Hang on to extra gifts and give them for the birthday, same with the gifts you'll find eventually! A VERY easy holiday baking idea to do with young kids is candy cane bark - melt white chocolate in a double boiler, crush candy canes and add after melted, place on baking sheet and put in fridge. Break up, place in tin - huge hit with everyone and deceivingly simple!!!!!! I'm becoming the queen of LETTING GO the closer we get to Christmas, and have been really enjoying starting new traditions and really hanging out with people!!!! I'm sick of feeling so stressed out around the holidays!!!

Tomorrow we're going to the local food bank for a few hours to volunteer our time - I'm so stoked, I've wanted to do this with the girls forever and have finally gotten around to organizing it. And Kea wants to drop blankets and supplies off at an SPCA so I'll look into that. We're also making lama tree ornaments out of wool roving for most adults on our list, and buying a lama through Heifer. I'm so sick of coming up with gifts for people who have everything themselves!!!!!!

Wish we were out west there so we could get together with you all for the solstice, or at Van Dusen........welcome back, Elisa! Happy holidays everyone!

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#127 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 PM

sounds great erica! my family are all cross-country skiers, i would love to do more of that, it is my childhood

probably by virtue of traveling the planet at this time of year, i keep it pretty simple. i have been making things by hand for folks, and i have no idea what to get my tall girl (she wants something old fashioned. now, what would that be? she's suggested pottery or handweaving classes, at least!) and i'd like to finish that up soon..we'll do some baking just for fun, and we have a sweet little wild tree, shorter than my 4 year old, which we will likely decorate on the solstice...though i'm going to put lights on it soon. we just like to be with family + friends and i've let go of a lot over the years. this is partly because my mother is upstairs, in her cosy, beautiful space, and has already decorated...i really don't need to. my sister is making paper snowflakes with my tall one right now. i think the reason it is relaxing is because now, i'm pretty much on holiday. we haven't got much stuff here anymore, and i have family around, and my kids are older and that makes it all much easier.

#128 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 PM

ah yes, the christmas season... booking your bach on the beach, buying new masks and snorkels for the family (thank you santa!), making sure everyone's togs still fit from last year, new jandals....

we do have candy canes (they are horrible and taste like window cleaner), and we did get a christmas tree, and I bought stockings for the kids and even a couple of things to put in them that will be good for our giant road trip that we leave in 4 days for... mostly consumed with confirming accommodation and a rental car for my parents (for some reason they don't want to drive in the same car with us for 12 hours?? ) digging out our camping gear (somehow we lost two sleeping bags between last summer and now) and trying to decide what to make for our summertime christmas dinner!

on top of all of that, I'm dealing with so many different immigration issues for so many different countries... I'm tempted to never cross another border again once we get these kids home!!!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#129 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 08:10 PM

I"m actually wondering if I should ramp up my baking. The only time I seem to be able to shake off worrying about my sister is when I'm actively mixing stuff up. I need to shut this off. I think it's partly because she's younger than me, and that whole "middle aged" thing is suddenly clicking as reality. *sigh*

They think she'll need "either a pacemaker or surgery". Isn't a pacemaker internal? Won't she need surgery to have it put in?

#130 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 PM

My Dad had a pacemaker, and it was a pretty fast thing to put in and then to maintain, usually he'd be in and out in a couple of hours. Things are so small now that if I recall correctly, it was a tiny incision and then with fancy medical gadgetry, they could place it/change the battery quite simply. Weird, eh?

Hi Elisa!!

good to hear from you Erica!!

Off to put the chooks in, 'tis getting dark.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#131 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
My Dad had a pacemaker, and it was a pretty fast thing to put in and then to maintain, usually he'd be in and out in a couple of hours. Things are so small now that if I recall correctly, it was a tiny incision and then with fancy medical gadgetry, they could place it/change the battery quite simply. Weird, eh?
I find all surgery weird, honestly. It all creeps me out.

I'm sure he meant it will be either a pacemaker or major surgery (I hope not that). It's just the phrasing that struck me as kind of funny. I can't see inserting an electrical device into a human body as anything but surgery, yk? However, if that's what she needs, it sounds like it's probably less work, less invasive and less time consuming than some of the testing!

#132 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I"m actually wondering if I should ramp up my baking. The only time I seem to be able to shake off worrying about my sister is when I'm actively mixing stuff up. I need to shut this off.
Lisa, sorry to hear about your sister, I had meant to put that in the last post and got distracted... I know what you mean about keeping busy to stave off the worrying!! it's hard to motivate to do it, but you feel so much better with something keeping your mind and body occupied for a while...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#133 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 09:06 PM

Thanks, Tiffani. This is really freaking me out, and I'm so preoccupied with it that I'm starting to feel like a drama queen.

#134 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Hey, everybody....would anyone be into a holiday knitting get-together?

Perhaps we could meet up one evening over the next couple of weeks (Elisa, it would be great if you could come!), maybe at our old stomping ground (Bean Around the World on 21st and Main)?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#135 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 11:39 PM

yes please! or shaktea? or the amazing sweet revenge!

#136 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

freaking out here. The parcel that Canada Post was supposed to deliver yesterday is still in Mississauga . The shipper has put in trace. I need it by Monday. I gave up after waiting on hold on the phone for an hour. It contains Santa's only gift for 4 children! I don't have a plan B as finding an identical item that works for a 3 yo girl up to an 8 yo boy is always tricky. Suggestions??

#137 of 705 Old 12-17-2009, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

That's worrying Storm Bride. There's nothing like feeling helpless when a family member is in a medical crisis. BTDT .

artparent

beaner&tiegs

#138 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 12:23 AM

Oh, Ksenia, that sucks! Hope it turns up on time...

artparent: yes, anywhere is fine by me! now, how 'bout dates...

I'm going to be away from the 27th to the 31st, so if we do it before New Year's the only dates free for me are either Monday or maybe Tuesday (Monday would be better). Hm, not leaving much flexibility there am I?

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#139 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 01:34 AM

after new year's, then?

i hope your sister is very well cared for, storm.

#140 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 03:26 AM

Oh my Gosh, Lisa, I must have sounded pretty insensitive.

I was on the run trying to do one thing too many and missed that it was your sister you were talking about. And here I am sharing details on a casual level. So sorry!

I hope , as the others have said, that the best outcome presents itself, and that she be well cared for.

I remember the first episodes my Dad had with his heart and how worried we all were, and that was about 15 years before he passed. While he had the pacemaker he was great (aside form his COPD).

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#141 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 04:47 AM

Ooh, I'd be up for a knitting get together. Of course I don't actively knit (where do people find the time?), but I've got a few things started I could carry on with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
freaking out here. The parcel that Canada Post was supposed to deliver yesterday is still in Mississauga . The shipper has put in trace. I need it by Monday.
Well, not much you can do. Is it a shared gift? As in a game or toy that they're all supposed to play with? Or is it individual items? Fortunately you've got 2 business days AND at least it doesn't have to cross any borders. Chances are good that you'll get it in time.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#142 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 04:51 AM

Knitting! Me me me! I'll be in town on Monday night only. Perhaps a North Van knit?
I would LOVE an excuse to get out of my in-laws!!! (Things aren't so smooth there this year.)
Devin has asked me to finally finish the finishing touches on his stocking. I'll work on snowflakes.

Janet is life learning and loving life with: Devin (10/02) :nana and The Littles through Marty (04/06) and Skye (05/08)
#143 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 05:07 AM

Lisa/Stormbride - good luck to your sister! My dad's long-time girlfriend (my favourite one) had heart valve surgery in her 30's (and probably a few other times) and has had several different kinds of pacemakers over the years. And she's still tickin' in her late 60's. Admittedly, she's had some tough times in the health department (chain smoking and a history of heavy drinking doesn't help!), but she's still here enjoying life. Hopefully a pacemaker will be all your sister needs, but in any case, she's in good hands.

As for the baking - it's easy for me to say "meh, fuggedaboudit!" because I don't bake. (It stresses me out. And I eat most of it.) But I've had friends who found that baking was a big help to them when they were anxious (or needed to procrastinate). Do what makes you feel better and what you enjoy and don't worry about the rest. Your DD2 is still so little - you're doing way more than I manage now, and I've only got 2 and the youngest is 6!!! You're super-woman! (And no, my house doesn't look any better...)

DH and I had a talk about gifts for each other tonight. We've decided that we just won't bother getting gifts for each other, but rather we'll go on a date and go shopping together and each buy a thing or two we want/need. For every gifty occasion. Excellent!

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#144 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 12:37 PM

Hugs Lisa, my thoughts are with you and your sister...:

Baking: I've done two batches of cookies and somehow they disappear really fast. I love baking though, its my stress reliever. There's just something really rewarding about measuring things, mixing it all together and having a finished product that eventually disappears.

I'd be up for a knitting session. Are we talking about a daytime or nighttime knit? I'd prefer a daytime knit if possible just because I hate driving in the dark.

I haven't been knitting in a long time though as I've gotten into Tablet weaving, aka: card weaving. So I might bring that instead. I have a small portable loom that I weave on. Here's an example of a sash (belt) I made for someone: http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...p/IMG_1439.jpg

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#145 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM

Ellaine - that is BEAUTIFUL!

to you Stormbride. And sending healing thoughts to your sister...

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#146 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 02:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ksenia - Canada Post's tracking system is weird, they usually only update it after the fact. So there is a faint hope that the package is actually much closer than Mississauga.

I can't believe Christmas is so close and I am so far from finished! Ack!

I am frantically trying to knit a pair of gloves for my little sister. Well, they became mittens since that is way faster. I guess I'll be sending DP to the store next week for all the last minute stuff, since he is off work. I'm also waiting for 3 more things to arrive in the mail. That part is the worst, not really knowing if I will need to find something else or not. I might have to fall back on my grandma's tradition of socks and chocolate for everyone.

I'm planning a baking storm on Saturday. It's the only day I have, so let's hope it goes well... Sunday I'm having some family over for brunch and don't know yet if it will be for 8 people or 12. I just need to r-e-l-a-x. Next year I'm going somewhere warm and sunny for Christmas. I say that every year.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#147 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 02:54 PM

Autumn Mama: You didn't sound insensitive at all. It's good to hear from people who have dealt with pacemakers, because I've never known anybody who had one (well, that I knew of, anyway). My maternal grandmother had triple bypass surgery when I was really young, and had heart health issues right up until she died, but she didn't have a pacemaker.

Thank you all so much. My sister is supposed to go to St. Paul's for an angiogram...it was supposed to be today, but she can't go over yet...don't know if they do those over the weekend or not. I gather they're thinking she might need a stent. So...we'll see how it goes. I'm trying not to get into a tizzy about this, but I don't do well with the waiting part!

She's a heavy smoker, occasional drinker (I don't mean an occasional drink - I mean she's an off and on again drinker), and has had some pretty major dental issues in the past. I'm sure those all contribute, but...wow...I'm still a bit stunned.

I got my pfefferneusse dough made yesterday. Today, I make those cookies and mix up my pastry. I'll do the mincemeat tarts tomorrow. And...that's everything, I think.

I might do one more batch of shortbread, but that's easy. (It's hard to get it right, but I never do, so I don't have to worry about that part. It's still pretty yummy, even if I can't quite nail the texture.)

#148 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laggie View Post
Ksenia - Canada Post's tracking system is weird, they usually only update it after the fact. So there is a faint hope that the package is actually much closer than Mississauga.
This is a good point. It wasn't Canada Post, but I got an email a couple of days ago telling me that a package I'd ordered had shipped. The email arrived about 3 hours after the package did!

#149 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 03:24 PM

I would love to come! It would be great to meet some of you who I have not yet met. I may just chat as my knitting practise is not exactly thriving, lol! I can definitely come after the 1st of January, before that it is dodgey, but I may be able to arrange it.

Ksenia, my heart goes out to you about your missing parcels. Have you found some alternatives yet (question mark...yes, that annoying French thing again!)
I wondered about picking up some Doodle books at Chapters, adding some art suplies tailored to the ages of the various kids and voila...art projects!

Or make some snowman kits...visit the thrift store or Sally Anne and get some interesting hats scarves, mittens, collect pretty rocks for eyes, buttons etc, cut different branches while at the cabin, some evergreen, some mossy etc and present these (question mark)

Maybe visit the library and bring alot of winter-themed books for helping pass the time (in lieu of the gifts that you no doubt found being quite engaging...)...I have two potentially missing parcels too, and I paid over $30.00 for shipping...they could be late but itès been over 10 days! These are the things coming from Santa...if they get here.

#150 of 705 Old 12-18-2009, 03:32 PM

Yes, I got the confirmation of shipping email too............ 10 days ago. Oy!!!

I keep wondering if it arrived here, got left on the doorstep, and someone stole it...no, wait a minute I now live in the boonies. That was central Richmond (three blocks from Daiso actually ) where that would have occurred! Now I rarely lock my door at night or when I go out, lol.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page