Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Sugared Mountains & Bare Branches - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 705 Old 12-19-2009, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
Oh, not to say that I don't hang on to things... I'm somewhat the same way - about some things. (Toys, trinkets, jewellery - but I never wear jewellery!!) but that is the philosophy that I work towards. And I'm making progress. We just picked up a few more boxes of our stuff from my MIL's and the storage locker and I've had to be a bit more ruthless than usual.
I'm like that about everything, but I'm hoping that I'll get it together in the New Year. For whatever reason, those last few pregnancies and c-sections drained my energy pretty well, and now I've got infant related sleep deprivation going on. But, I think I can make progress as my energy level picks up. I have managed to get rid of a few bags of clothes over the last 6-8 months, which is at least a start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
Lisa Good vibes for your sis
Thank you.

Quote:
The thrift store that is close to us had a big bin for $25 which I thought was crazy expensive and wouldn't buy it, but I guess that was a good deal?
Yeah - that's a pretty good price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robugmum View Post
The gift shop at the Vancouver Museum is no longer there!
That was a great gift shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia View Post
The critical parcel arrived in Richmond yesterday .
Yay!!

Quote:
beaner&tiegs, thanks for the Barbie run-down...we are already dealing with that here. i love the forbidden Barbie at my friends' houses. dh thinks he can just ban them, but it's not always so simple.
My SIL gave dd1 a Bratz doll last year. I cringed - absolutely cringed. DD1 opened the box, and said something like, "oh - this is the best gift ever" and I cringed. And, she came home, and put the Bratz doll in her Plan Toys dollhouse, and said it was "the mama" of her Plan Toys doll family. She says she wants another one, but she only ever plays with it like a stuffie (sleeps with it) or in her dollhouse. I don't like it, but I live with it. DS1 is getting her the ballet Barbie she asked for this year. I don't like it, either - but she does take ballet and I get why she wants it. I don't think she's likely to acquire too unreasonable a concept of the female body with me around!

Quote:
artparent, you can get soap- and candle-making supplies at Wicks and Wax in Burnaby. Good prices and quite fun to go to (small warehouse-type place). love b&t's ideas .
Yeah. It's a great store. Eventually, I won't have really young kids in the house and will feel up to getting back to candlemaking. I'm an amateur, but I do have fun with it. It's one of my few hobbies, but I'm not comfortable messing with hot wax when I have wired children underfoot.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 705 Old 12-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
The critical parcel arrived in Richmond yesterday .
You should receive it Monday then, they are working OT moving mail around the system and it should get tranferred to your local routing place today to go out Monday. Hope it makes it!

We have a Dora ban in our house, but DD still has a pair of Dora undies. We told DH's work NO DORA please for the kids Christmas party, so they gave her a Handy Mandy fix-me radio instead. *sigh* She is, of course, infatuated with it, so I carefully cut it out of the box, will let her play with it for a few days, then I'll carefully repackage it and go drop it in the toy bin for needy kids at the mall. She'll have had her fun and she won't miss it when it's gone.

And the Barbie's the SD had have all met the same fate and B&T's, beheaded and delimbed and eventually in the garbage.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#183 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 03:11 AM

Ksenia, such good news!!

I'm still waiting.

Doesn't something shipped as "USPS priority shipping" mean faster than 10 days??

Ksenia, I'm curious how you tracked where your parcel was? On my shipping invoice I received via email, there is a 1-800 # but no one is there right now...the worrisome thing is that our rural set-up for mail tends to add on a couple or three days to mailing...Gah!

I will know to do this much sooner next year! That is, if next year, I'm still ordering online

The covered wagon is too cool, Erica! I googled it...the rest of the accompanying sets/pieces are quite blatantly "cowboys and Indians" pieces...not sure I could use those...but the wagon would be fabulous!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#184 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 03:18 AM

I'll third (?) the thought that a child can become focussed on something that is withheld...

I never had Barbies as a child, but my friends did and I was obsessed by them. Although one of my best friends had them and we used to take them to the chicken coop and pitch them down off the roosts and give them punk haircuts...

Same with TV. Totally obsessed.

I sympathize because the thought of buying a Barbie for dd makes my blood curdle.

Erin, mommy to ds April 2004 and dd : February 2007
#185 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 04:06 AM

Just to chime in on the barbie discussion. . . .

As barbie (bad plastic) alternatives, I bought two dolls from naturalpod a few years ago, but they aren't a hit, and then I tried getting groovy girls as well - making sure they were all the special ones with princess dresses, mermaid outfits, etc and they do get played with, but somehow Barbie is still coveted.

So, I don't know what to say. . . there is truth to the whole 'forbidden fruit' logic, so perhaps if she has one, she'll be happy and not be obsessed?

DD has a couple that were hand me downs and I'd just as soon get rid of them when she's at school, and hope that she doesn't notice (but she always notices these things!).

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#186 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 04:20 AM

So far, dd has not been interested in Barbie. We are more at the Playmobil stage. She really likes Playmobil because it fits with her Duplo and her doll house. She does have the Barbie Corvette because it came into the house in a box of old stuff and she grabbed it because it is a car, not because it is Barbie.

I have one of my sister's old Barbies downstairs if dd ever wants one. If I didn't, I would get her to wait until garage sale season and we'd likely get one then. I don't want to spend money buying new ones.

Playmobil figures have very unrealistic body shapes too .

I agree about obsession - better to make it a non-issue or have a generic answer for most toy "wants" - my generic answer tends to be that if you want it during the year aside from Christmas, you've got to find it at a garage sale. If she buys something at a garage sale with her own money, I don't care and it can get Freecycled when she's done with it since it only cost $1.

My other question: would you feel better about getting a child a Barbie if you had a boy? Is it about the female connection to body image, or about the product in general? Can you have dolls of many shapes, colors, and genders and have Barbie be one of them?

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#187 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 05:04 AM

There are lots of us who have played with Barbies and have a reasonable sense of body shape, etc and didn't suffer from eating disorders as a result. However, I hate to patronize a company that makes dolls out of evil vinyl AND whose dolls are highly unrealistic-looking, yet attract little girls, and could contribute to the mentality of girls who think they have to look a certain way to be attractive. I have the same problem with Disney (plus their stuff is just cheaply made, yet overpriced) and would have a problem with Bratz too, but we aren't there yet.

So I guess the garage sale solution is a reasonable one.

DD's good friend (who is a boy) loves playing with barbies, too. I guess parents of only one gender of children have certain things they are more concerned about than others, and body image/eating disorders would be one more common among girls.

#188 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
Storing Lego in sets feels a little odd to me. I got my knickers in a knot as a kid because of the sets and the instructions. We've only ever gotten Duplo hand me downs and Duplo from the local SOS Children's Village thrift store, so dd has no idea there are instructions. It is one of her favourite toys. We may advance to little Lego soon, but she really likes the bigger blocks for building structures.
I'm not really organized enough to store the sets (they go into DS's room & bits fall off & get mixed up), but he really likes following the instructions to build them. He never had much interest in freeform Duplo (which we had since he was a baby) or random Lego until he built a lot of Bionicles & some Lego sets following the instructions. Now he puts together new Bionicles from random bits & may be doing freeform Lego with his friends, but to play alone, he will only do it following the instructions .

Quote:
... the fact that my grandfather is very ill are taking up a lot of emotional energy and keeping me up late.
I'm sorry to hear that

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#189 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
Doesn't something shipped as "USPS priority shipping" mean faster than 10 days??
My other parcel has been stuck in customs for 10 days (also USPS). Generally I've had great service via USPS so that was unexpected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
Ksenia, I'm curious how you tracked where your parcel was?
on the canadapost.ca home page there is a tracking number box.

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#190 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
My other parcel has been stuck in customs for 10 days (also USPS). Generally I've had great service via USPS so that was unexpected.
Well, they can't really help that - it's totally random and beyond their control, right? We used to have problems sending stuff from the pharmacy to the states. If we sent it regular mail, it usually got through fine. But if we sent it with Purolator, it got stopped *every time*, and if we sent it with FedEx, it was only sometimes. :

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#191 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 08:24 AM

The baby is here! A beautiful healthy little boy, yet to be named.

Soooo...completely unexpected unassisted childbirth! My MIL caught the baby. I had a few hard contractions and went to the bathroom, where my water broke. The baby crowned and was born within a few minutes. More detailed birth story to come, but we're all very good and just settling in for the night.

Cynthia, loving my husband Isaac, my silly boy Jacob (Apr 07), my sweet little Luke (Dec 09), and my darling Lily (Aug 12)

#192 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 02:11 PM

Congrats Cynthia! What timing, right for the holidays! Although I have to say that having my MIL at the birth would be pretty traumatic!:

About the Barbie thing...
Yes, I agree about the forbidden fruit angle. Its just that Emma is very much a people pleaser and her self esteem is shaky at times. She's been told once too often that her "looks" are important and as a result we have battles over clothing (she wants to wear girly girly stuff, even when its freezing or pouring rain out) and rationality and logic doesn't always work. (As much as it could with a 4.75yo)

So I'm just afraid that by giving her a Barbie, she'll come to associate long legs, and a tall curvy figure as the ideal to strive for. We do have plenty of other dolls, eg. Cabbage patch, homemade waldorfy dolls and other soft structured/hard plastic headed dolls, but somehow the allure of a Barbie with all the plastic, made in China, fashion accessories continues to attract her.

Its the high heels, fancy dresses (we have enough battles over that), and the "I don't do anything except look pretty" mentality that I really object over. Yes, I know there are Barbies with "jobs", but Emma's told me that "Women don't work, they stay home and look after the kids, Dadas go to work". Arrrgh!

We recently had a discussion on what Princesses do. She believed that Disney princesses were the be all and end all. I had to show her Princess Diana (work with charities), Queen Noor (women's rights in a male dominated culture), Queen Elizabeth (even old women can be monarchs), and Princess Aiko (the 8yo Japanese schoolgirl princess with a relatively mainstream family). I think that took the wind out of her sails a bit...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#193 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
"Women don't work, they stay home and look after the kids, Dadas go to work". Arrrgh!
But that what she sees happening in your family right?

I'd choose Barbie over a Bratz doll anyday...they just have a bit more class. I agree with Widemouthfrog, if ds wants something from a garage sale of thrift store, then its fine. It's a whole other thing to buy something new. But we are also really relaxed on banning anything. Ds's first love was Dora, so he has a few things of hers and now its Spiderman, so he has a few items (mostly from grandparents) but personally I find it unfair to completely ban things that I just don't like. I can't imagine if my mom had banned cabbage patch dolls, kermit the frog and teddy ruxpin as well as all the 'really cool' vintage stuff that is around now just based on that it is plastic.
When ds was younger we had only wood toys and I'd covet amazing imaginative toys...but then life set in and that wasn't realistic. Plastic toys made there way into our house and they made ds happy and he played with them all/used his imagination. anyway jmho...its also early and I haven't had my coffee so sorry if that doesn't make sense

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#194 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 03:23 PM

ellp, sounds like you've got a clear sense of her. the most pleasure i got playing with dolls was doing it with dolls that i had made + dressed myself. a good friend of mine did the same thing, with me, we loved it. maybe you'd like to start that, you certainly have the skills.

#195 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 03:28 PM

Congrats Cynthia
baby boy

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#196 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 04:27 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, CYNTHIA!!!

Have a wonderful babymoon.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#197 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 04:47 PM

Well, I'm a thousand posts old! After a few years of hanging out here!

So, it looks like the parcel is stuck in Customs...no action recorded since the 12th!

I guess I'm wrapping up odds and ends from Santa-not the worst thing in the world, but just frustrating when it's not what was planned, YK? I suppose there's a lesson in there somewhere. Be present and patient if nothing else.

Barbie: had 'em , got bored real quick with 'em. Interestingly enough, the real early memories I have of Barbie are from when I was between 3-4 years old. When my next oldest sister was at school, I would quietly go into her room and bring out the Barbies from under her bed (where she thought they were hidden from me) I would open the velvet, oval doll clothes case with the little gold latch, and pull out all of the clothes, inhaling the lovely violet scented velvet dresses and gowns and such that my maternal Grandma had made for my sister. She used to pack the dollcase with a wrapped bar of old English violet scented soap on the bottom, and I loved smelling that and just fingering the softness of the pretty little dresses. I would dress up a Barbie and dance her around on the floor. I got caught doing this a few times and would be "in trouble" from first my sister, then my Mom.

When I got the Barbies a few years later, it was the Corvette era (had one + a boat I think) and I simply wasn't too turned on by them. My girlfriends would play with them and I would build apartments and houses and tree forts for them out of boxes, designing furniture and stuff and painting it all. The dolls were more of a prop, as I preferred the artistic creation instead. The novelty for me was the inclusion into (what seemed to a very young child) the magical world of pretend that my sister had with them, the desire to play with her (which was seldom as she was six years plder than me), and the sensual-ness of the dresses and violet scented soap. I am still highly tactile and love violets!

I shudder at the whole Barbie attraction today, because the majority of what's available just seems rather shallow and hollow. Had I never seen my sister's Barbies, I'm sure the whole thing wouldn't have grabbed me much. Today I likely wouldn't buy them for a DD, but I have two boys so that's hard to say.

#198 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

MaybeGracie! Enjoy your little snuggly buggly at this cozy time of year...

#199 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Congratulations, Cynthia!

Quote:
About the Barbie thing...
Yes, I agree about the forbidden fruit angle. Its just that Emma is very much a people pleaser and her self esteem is shaky at times. She's been told once too often that her "looks" are important and as a result we have battles over clothing (she wants to wear girly girly stuff, even when its freezing or pouring rain out) and rationality and logic doesn't always work. (As much as it could with a 4.75yo)
I don't know that what's going on has a lot to do with what she's been told about her looks...IME, most 4-5 y.o. girls want to dress like that! I know it can be frustrating...at 9 y.o. dd still leans that way and now she knows the consequences .

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#200 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well, Canada Post is working overtime! I got a parcel TODAY! I can't believe they are working on a Sunday.

There is an Onion news clip that is about Bratz dolls, with little girls saying that since they love Bratz dolls now they all want to have bigger heads... I'm not sure where I stand on the Barbie issue, I think that the super skinny fashion models and actresses are more of a problem than a plastic doll. It's hard for me to look at a barbie doll and extrapolate that image to myself, a magazine covergirl with 0% body fat is more depressing.

Finally pregnant with #1 and #2! Due September 9th, 2014 

#201 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
She's been told once too often that her "looks" are important and as a result we have battles over clothing (she wants to wear girly girly stuff, even when its freezing or pouring rain out) and rationality and logic doesn't always work. (As much as it could with a 4.75yo)
If it helps any, my Emma was the same way a year or so ago. Recently, she told me that she only has one friend that she never fights with, because that friend "never likes people and things just because they're pretty, like my other friends". So...it really depends on a lot of factors, yk?

Quote:
Yes, I know there are Barbies with "jobs", but Emma's told me that "Women don't work, they stay home and look after the kids, Dadas go to work". Arrrgh!
This is one of the hardest things about being a SAHM, imo. I point out all the women we know who work, and I point them out to her when we're out, as well (cashiers, the women working at Science World or the Aquarium, our female GP, the female OB I saw when I was expecting dd2, etc.). She seems to have a handle on it now.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#202 of 705 Old 12-20-2009, 11:07 PM

Congrats Cynthia - what an exciting story!

Ellp - we struggled with the same girly girl outfits. DD wanted to wear skirts or dresses all the time, even if it snowed outside. She would wear a summer dress all winter around the house if we let her. So, I have bought her several long sleeved dresses, and plenty of skirts that she wears to school wiht long sleeved tops. Most importantly, I bought about 8 pairs of thick tights, which she must wear with her skirts/dresses when we say it's too cold to go bare-legged. She complies and everyone is happy. No more struggles like we had with trying to get her to wear pants on cold fall/winter days. Tights aren't *that* warm, but we live 1.5 blocks from the school and they're good enough. When she plays outside in the snow, I insist she wear pants, and also when biking even in the summer. She is happy to wear leggings, but I think she doesn't like the stuff fabric of jeans/cords, etc.

#203 of 705 Old 12-21-2009, 12:15 AM

So, I got an email update that my parcel is now in Ville St-Laurent...any guesses when that will arrive here?? The email says it has to be reviewed by Customs...

#204 of 705 Old 12-21-2009, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Both my parcels arrived today . I don't know Autumn, but even the stuck-in-customs one arrived, so I hope that's a good sign for you

#205 of 705 Old 12-21-2009, 01:34 AM

not much time for more than that, but CONGRATULATIONS Cynthia!!!!!

I'm not big on banning anything, and barbie can be a great springboard for discussions about bodies -- I talked with dd about how unrealistic she was, and we laughed about how she couldn't even walk if she were a real person, etc... she kind of likes barbies, but isn't really that into them. she'll play with them if a friend wants to, but never on her own. she likes the clothes and accessories mostly.

packing and preparing for our two weeks on the road, beaching and camping and such. exciting, and we're not doing a lot of food prep beforehand, so not too difficult to get ready, but still a lot to do, so...

we're bringing our laptop on the road, as we're waiting for photos of our little ones in Uganda from someone who is visiting the orphanage over christmas -- I'll try to give an update if we hear anything new!!

happy holidays everyone!!!!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#206 of 705 Old 12-21-2009, 02:12 AM

ellaine, maybe you could have the body image discussion if you do get a Barbie for her? I would certainly do that if we got a Barbie, a weapon, or any other toy that I felt a little disapproving of. Heck, I do the same with our scads of toy cars.

Or with your fantastic skills, maybe you could make Barbie a fancy "princess" dress with a baby sling or something else attached, working in a few of your dd's interests? We just got a Mayan mama breastfeeding doll (a stocking stuffer) ... you could morph a Barbie into a mama with a little knitted bit around the waist and a knitted baby...Barbie doesn't need to stay Barbie.

By the way, I found Barbies really boring too - they were too prescriptive. But then, those of you who have actually met me know that I am not big on personal grooming and fashion sense.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#207 of 705 Old 12-21-2009, 02:12 AM

yes, congratulations, cynthia! sounds like an amazing birth!

#208 of 705 Old 12-21-2009, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
ellaine, maybe you could have the body image discussion if you do get a Barbie for her? I would certainly do that if we got a Barbie, a weapon, or any other toy that I felt a little disapproving of. Heck, I do the same with our scads of toy cars.

Or with your fantastic skills, maybe you could make Barbie a fancy "princess" dress with a baby sling or something else attached, working in a few of your dd's interests? We just got a Mayan mama breastfeeding doll (a stocking stuffer) ... you could morph a Barbie into a mama with a little knitted bit around the waist and a knitted baby...Barbie doesn't need to stay Barbie.

By the way, I found Barbies really boring too - they were too prescriptive. But then, those of you who have actually met me know that I am not big on personal grooming and fashion sense.
That's a great way to approach it, widemouthed. A sling, or an Ergo-style carrier...I wish we had a DD to give things like the Mayan mama doll to, sounds lovely!

Yeah, maybe that was my disinterest in Barbie; it's the fashionista thing? I went through it as an extended life phase, and now I've completely satiated any urges in that department, lol! At times Langley feels like the land of Barbie. Very fashionista/personally groomed out here! I may be the only person I know of my gender with plenty'o'grey in her hair! And only three pair of shoes (two of them are boots), and a few holes in my pants and shirts lol!

#209 of 705 Old 12-21-2009, 04:37 AM

Speaking of discussing things with kids...
DH had to intervene today when DS was putting the cat/letting the cat play in a plastic bag ! Apparently he hadn't heard that one could suffocate that way...I guess it just never came up .

#210 of 705 Old 12-21-2009, 01:22 PM

Thanks for all the views on the Barbie thing... I am definately rethinking the whole ban. Getting Dh to agree with it will be a challenge.: Also, my mom brought over her presents to put under the tree and one of the boxes looks very suspicious.

Helen: Yikes about the plastic bag!

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page