Vancouver midwife recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-21-2009, 12:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm finding myself suddenly and unexpectedly pregnant! My first two were born out of province, at home and attended by midwives. Could anyone tell me more about how it works here? I've looked at a dozen websites and it *appears* I can choose any clinic I like? Or, do particular clinics serve certain areas of the city? If I do have free choice, can anyone recommend a particular team of midwives? (I'd prefer a team, rather than an individual). I'm prepared to drive anywhere in the city of Vancouver, Richmond or Burnaby.

Thanks!

Wife to Dh Mom to Ds (6) Dd (3)
and our brand new Ds
#2 of 9 Old 12-21-2009, 01:57 AM

I don't have a rec for Vancouver since I'm over in Victoria but I would recommend starting to call around to practices near you to set up interviews even before you get a recommendation. I know that midwives are restricted to accepting only 60 patients within a 52 week period. I started calling around in Victoria a few weeks after finding out I was preggers, like maybe three, and it took me 5 practices to find someone who could take me. You might have more luck in Vancouver because the midwifery school is in town there but, in case you don't, you might want to get a jump on that now.
#3 of 9 Old 12-21-2009, 01:37 PM

http://www.bcmidwives.com/find-a-midwife
On the website, find the practices that serve in your area, then read some profiles of midwives in that practice. Call as soon as possible to meet with midwives as they book up fast.
I always called when the pee stick was still wet

My first child was born with Commercial Dr. and my second was with Pomegranate.

I recommend Pomegranate and they have 3 teams to pick from.
http://pomegranate-midwives.com/index.html

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#4 of 9 Old 12-24-2009, 10:09 PM

I used Pomegranate as well and was very happy with them.

Cynthia, loving my husband Isaac, my silly boy Jacob (Apr 07), my sweet little Luke (Dec 09), and my darling Lily (Aug 12)

#5 of 9 Old 12-25-2009, 03:30 AM

Another vote for Pomegranate! Had both my babies with them and both times had wonderful care.

Loving mama to M. 09/2007 and K. 10/2009. Married to my soul mate :
#6 of 9 Old 12-25-2009, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
And another vote for Pomegranate! Love, love, love them!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#7 of 9 Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! I was not able to get Pomegranate to take me on since I am too far away from their home birth travel area, but I do have an appointment with the midwifery group on Main St. Anyone worked with them before? Thoughts?

Wife to Dh Mom to Ds (6) Dd (3)
and our brand new Ds
#8 of 9 Old 01-23-2010, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca View Post
Thanks everyone! I was not able to get Pomegranate to take me on since I am too far away from their home birth travel area, but I do have an appointment with the midwifery group on Main St. Anyone worked with them before? Thoughts?
I know one of the midwifes, my mother use to babysit her son. Small world. Anyways, while I don't know them specifically, though I know lots about them being in a birth community. I've heard nothing but praise.

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#9 of 9 Old 02-19-2010, 02:37 AM

I used the Midwifery Group on Main St. for the birth of my son (03/08) and am seeing them again for baby due 10/10. I recommend them wholeheartedly. We had a wonderful experience with them.

Proud mum to DS (03/07/08) and thrilled to welcome new baby in October '10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page