Vancouver Island Mamas - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 110 Old 05-23-2011, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello Vancouver Island Mamas! I'm brand new to the Mothering forums... I don't live on the island but wanted to say hello because you're close enough to 'connect' with :)

My name is Crystal (a.k.a. Prenatal Coach on FB and Twitter) and I'm a Hypnobabies Childbirth Educator, Holistic Nutritionist, Birth Doula and Prenatal Wellness Coach in Vancouver, BC.

After spending the past few years optimizing my health (and my husbands!) in preparation for pregnancy we are *finally* ready to conceive our first baby :) We are VERY excited! In addition to updating my blog about our TTC journey I want to have a place where I can reach out for support, ask questions and find my 'tribe' of like minded soon-to-be mamas! I hope to find that here.

While part of going 'public' with my journey is scary since a lot of my choices are natural and unconventional, I hope that it will be beneficial for the future (and current) mamas who want to learn more about my approach to fertility and pregnancy :)

Looking forward to 'meeting' you and participating in the forum discussions!

Crystal

P.S. Where can I learn more about Cowichan Valley... my husband and I are still looking for 'home' as we start a family (downtown isn't "it") and we're exploring lots of different areas. Seems to be a very foodie and natural parenting friendly place :)

mdcblog5.gif  PrenatalCoach.com

…my journey to motherhood through nourishing foods & conscious conception/pregnancy/birth

Expecting Baby #1 June 2012

#92 of 110 Old 05-25-2011, 09:37 PM

hello and welcome, Crystal! 

It sort of depends on what you want to know about the Cowichan Valley. We've been here 1 year now, after moving from Vancouver to our 4 acre property on the outskirts of Duncan. It most definitely is a very foodie and natural parenting kind of place. Great Green Community, great homelearning community, and lots and lots of local food! When we first moved here a big source of information for us was the monthly publication The Cowichan Valley Voice. It really gives you a feel for the community. Feel free to ask any questions here, or PM me instead. I'm head over heels in love with this place, so I am a wee bit biased, lol. There's also a vibrant and dedicated birthing community here (I'm the local LLL leader).

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#93 of 110 Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Piglet68 - Thank you for the info! Sounds like heaven :) We'll need to hop over there for a visit to see what it's like in person!

Does anyone have recommendations for where to stay around the Cowichan Valley area? Maybe we'll visit for a weekend and explore - we're still looking at all our options!

…my journey to motherhood through nourishing foods & conscious conception/pregnancy/birth

#94 of 110 Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 PM

The Best Western in Chemainus is really nice (I think the nicest hotel in the valley).  It's a little more expensive than the one in Duncan, but it's a lot newer and you get a really good breakfast included.  There are also some nice B&Bs around as well.

~Laura~
mom to Adam -  01/25/11

#95 of 110 Old 05-29-2011, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've never stayed in any of the hotels or B&Bs here but I'd love to stay at this one that Mariah told me about:

Stone Soup Inn

I imagine their breakfast is pretty yummy :)

We just moved here last summer and really like it. Lots of cool people, lots of beautiful nature-y places.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#96 of 110 Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Thank you! I'll look into those! :)

#97 of 110 Old 05-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Never been to the Best Western in Chemainus. The one is Duncan is definitely the nicest of the motel type accomodations, but a bit dated and nothing fancy. The Chemainus one sounds nicer!

If you want to go the B&B route, this place sounds wonderful and another Vancouver mama recently stayed there and said it was divine! Fairburn Farm

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#98 of 110 Old 02-18-2012, 09:52 PM

Hi dear Island Mamas!

Hope you don't mind if I resurrect this thread to let you know that a special rally for Children's Rights is in the early stages of planning. It will be held in Victoria once the weather warms up a little. I could use some help with organizing (we'll have an info table and be speaking to the media at this event, but there's plenty of behind-the-scenes tasks that can be done too for those that are a bit shy). PM me if you are interested in helping or just coming to the event, or if you know of anyone else who might be :-)

love.gif Kira (formerly known as ~Kira~ around these parts)

weliveintheforest likes this.
#99 of 110 Old 03-26-2012, 04:51 PM

I see this thread has kind of died off and hasn't been very active lately, but I'm hoping there might still be some Island mamas hanging around here. And hopefully you don't mind me posting here, even though I'm not yet living on Vancouver Island. shy.gif

So, I have finally convinced my husband to move to Vancouver Island. joy.gif We currently live in small-town, oil country Alberta (ugh...) and I am so desperate to leave here. I love Vancouver Island and feel like this would be such a good fit for us. I'm convinced that there are far more crunchy, natural-minded, environmentally-friendly, local-food growing/eating, attachment parenting people there. I really hope I'm right. Is it truly as wonderful as it has been made out to seem? Is it like MDC in real-life? (That would be amazing... Lol) I'm pretty excited at the idea of milder weather and that's what convinced my husband. Any input from Vancouver Island moms? Is it as great as I'm hoping? Please say yes.... praying.gif

Breastfeeding, Cloth-Diapering, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing Mama to a Sweet Little Boy slingboy.gif

#100 of 110 Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM

There are lots of MDC types here for sure :)  

What area are you looking at?

#101 of 110 Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weliveintheforest View Post

There are lots of MDC types here for sure :)  

What area are you looking at?

It will depend a lot on where my husband finds work and where we can find land, but I'm in love with the Cowichan valley area. We have horses and a hobby farm so we will be buying land and then building on it, so it really depends where we can find affordable land close to a job for DH. The more I look into the Island and we look at land around there and what life is like, the more I love it.

Breastfeeding, Cloth-Diapering, Co-Sleeping, Babywearing Mama to a Sweet Little Boy slingboy.gif

#102 of 110 Old 04-02-2012, 11:53 PM

Hi Vancouver Island Mamas!

Please come join us at the Whole World / Whole Children rally coming up on April 13th.
We'll be starting the day at 11:30 am, location: Mosaic Building (1063 Fort Street, Victoria) and then marching down to the Parliament Building Lawns at 1:00 pm, where we'll be for the rest of the afternoon.

The Facebook event page is here: https://www.facebook.com/events/196845880427396/

Any questions about the event can be emailed to Whole.Children.Rally[AT]gmail.com

Hope to see you all there! joy.gif

#103 of 110 Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 PM

So sad that this thread seems to be inactive....? There is another wonderful event coming up in Victoria during the PRIDE weekend celebrations and you're all invited to join us as we work towards ensuring that our fair city is a safer place for its littlest community members.

grouphug.gif

The Facebook event page is here: https://www.facebook.com/events/359165680799779/

#104 of 110 Old 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM

Going to try resurrecting this thread... I'm a newly returned member... I live on a Gulf Island close to Nanaimo...

#105 of 110 Old 07-25-2013, 09:32 PM

hi! I'm in Duncan :)  Our tribe is quiet but I know there are lots of us around here somewhere!

#106 of 110 Old 07-26-2013, 07:22 PM

I'm also in Duncan. Hi weliveintheforest! :)

#107 of 110 Old 07-27-2013, 10:07 PM

Hey Duncanites! Have a great BC Day. smile.gif
#108 of 110 Old 08-21-2013, 10:59 PM

If you do fb there is a babywearing group called mid-island babywearers. Are you on there? 

#109 of 110 Old 06-06-2014, 09:34 PM

Question

Hellooooo
I'm in Victoria, anybody out there??
#110 of 110 Old 06-23-2014, 01:14 PM

Talking

Yes! I am a Victoria Mommy too~
Not sure if anyone is still on this post, but here I am~
I am a momma to a 8 year old boy
Would very much like to connect with others,
Talk soon

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page