Vancouver Island Mamas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 110 Old 01-07-2010, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just moved to the Island from Vancouver. We are currently in Mill Bay. Loving the Cowichan Valley vibe. Would love to meet some more mamas! Anybody out there???

Island mama to DD (10), DS (5), DS (4) and DD (Aug 31 '10)
#2 of 110 Old 01-08-2010, 02:31 PM

moved to the Canada tribe.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#3 of 110 Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 AM

We are in the Cowichan Valley too, just north of Duncan, PM me if you want to chat more

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#4 of 110 Old 06-26-2010, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi! We are about to move to the Duncan area next month and I would love to meet up with you ladies some time.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#5 of 110 Old 06-27-2010, 02:19 PM

Just noticed this thread is about 6 months old, but if you are out there we are in Duncan. We just moved here from Vancouver 4 months ago and are loving life in the Cowichan Valley!

It would be great to see you again, Sheila!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#6 of 110 Old 06-28-2010, 07:37 PM

thanks Mariah... is there a knitting group?

#7 of 110 Old 06-28-2010, 07:40 PM

A group where I am!
Hello everyone! I'm currently in Victoria, but we are moving to Duncan Nov 1st. We just moved back to the Island last year, I've been away for a number of years, and would love to meet other mamas in the area.
#8 of 110 Old 07-01-2010, 10:17 AM

Happy Canada Day all! Anyone doing anything special today?
#9 of 110 Old 07-03-2010, 02:37 AM

Just noticed this thread... I'm not from the Island, but we will be there next week for the Island music fest in Courteney. Anyone here going?

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#10 of 110 Old 07-03-2010, 03:20 AM

no, I wish! Next year I hope.

We didn't do anything special for Canada day, did you, Annie Mac?

#11 of 110 Old 07-03-2010, 11:05 AM

No Musicfest for me this year either. There were a few years that I volunteered, but this year I have a new baby and the thought of having to juggle everyone's needs AND attend a festival didn't sound fun. Plus, I'd have to pay full cover instead of volunteering. Yikes! But I do love it, maybe next year. They get some fantastic people in.

And Forest: No. I didn't do anything there either. I'm not a crowd person, so I just played it very low key and hung around the house. My DH is away on business, so the baby and I napped throughout the day and didn't even bother getting out of our jammies I was thankful that we didn't hear the fireworks noise. For the last couple years, we've been living in the U.S., and the 4th of July would traumatize my poor dog. Literally for months after the 4th, she'd startle and run at any loud cracking noise. Poor, poor PTSD pooch
#12 of 110 Old 07-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Every time we drive down to Vic I am eyeing the cowichan Valley area. It sure has changed in the past decade or so! I can see why people are moving to the area!

Not heading to Musicfest ourselves!... Between the cost of the festivals and 2 kiddos who can't handle crowds, it is just too much! I am holding out for the Big Time Out. I have friends who live on the border of the park and get free tickets. A couple of years back I slapped headphones on the boys which seemed to really help, and it is literally just down the road and easy to go back and forth to recharge! Anyone coming up for that? Broken Social Scene was just confirmed as added to the lineup!

:
#13 of 110 Old 07-03-2010, 02:24 PM

We laid low on Canada Day, too. We're going to a music festival in Pemberton at the end of the month (Bonfire). We've been going for years now and look forward to seeing old friends. But I was a bit bummed to see that it is happening the same weekend as the Islands Folk Fest. I thought that would be fun to see and it's right here in Duncan.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#14 of 110 Old 07-04-2010, 01:40 AM

I live in Victoria, but my DS (20 mnths) and I head up to visit my sister in Nanaimo a few times a month. Would love to stop for lunch on the way sometime and meet some other Van Island mamas! Anyone been to True Grain bakery? Dying to give it a try!
#15 of 110 Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 PM

Hello VI-ers! I really hope this thread doesn't flop. I like knowing there are others like me out there, and if it could be transformed into a real life meeting, so much the better!

So, a gardening question(s) for those of you in the know: In November, we will be moving to a house with a yard (mixed shade and sun when there is sun) & I would like to start composting and growing some of my own food. I have yet to be successful in this arena, mostly because I historically just haven't given the plants the attention (and the fertilizer) they need, but I'd really like to try again. Can I start a compost in November? Cold, wet November? Or should I wait until next spring? What's the best container? One of those plastic ones, or a more breathable wooden structure, or...? And how about plants...is there anything I can start in the winter, like bulbs or something? Or is it just too late in the season? If it is too late, is there anything I can do to the soil/yard to help prepare it for the spring? Thanks!
#16 of 110 Old 07-26-2010, 01:26 AM

Hi Annie, I would highly recommend the book "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades". The author describes how to get a compost bin started. You can do it for November if you start saving green matter now and drying it (grass clippings, leaves in the fall, etc). Get a place where you can spread them out and let them dry, then pack them in yard waste bags (or something else) and bring them to your new place where you can mix up a starter batch (layering with soil, and green waste). As for veggies I know there are things you can do in winter but I'm only a beginner myself. The book is really specific for our region.

#17 of 110 Old 07-26-2010, 01:29 AM

Orikai, I get my flour from True Grain. Their spelt baguettes are marvellous! Next door is Hilary's cheese and just down the street is Udder Guys ice cream store (and old-school candies like the kind we grew up with). They make their own ice cream from all natural ingredients. They even roast their own coconuts for their coconut ice cream. All this is in Cowichan Bay which is a lovely little seaside village. We get our chickens from Cowichan Bay farms just up the road from the "main strip" - free range chickens straight from the farm store! I've discovered that if you are into eating local, you can't do better than the Cowichan.

#18 of 110 Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 AM

Thanks Piglet! That looks like a great book. I have wishlisted it with Amazon so I have a quick link. And I agree, that strip in Cowichan Bay is great, some great food and a lovely atmosphere.
#19 of 110 Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM

Hi Mariah and other island locavores...!! Here's a plug for another great place sourcing local ingrediens and featuring items made in-store with local island ingredients...my nephew recently opened an artisan deli called Markt, and it's in north Nanaimo, in Rutherford.

He has travelled throughout Europe cooking in some great restaurants after attending Dubrulle Culinary School, about 10 years ago, and his stuff (charcuterie, sausages (from island pork), soup stocks are all amazing! He really knows food and how to make it.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#20 of 110 Old 07-31-2010, 11:48 AM

I got the veggie book from the library to check it out before I buy it. I love it! Even if I wasn't planning a garden, I would like it. I especially like the part about thinking like a plant.

We are now actively looking for a house in the Duncan area. We have a short list of favourites and are going to look at them next week! So excited!
#21 of 110 Old 07-31-2010, 01:35 PM

Hey all!
My single mama friend is there in Duncan with her 2 year old son. She's one of my dearest friends (she introduced my dh and I) She's a musician/songwriter and cook.

If you are ever purging kids stuff, clothes, shoes, toys, trikes, anything etc. she could totally use it.
Please PM me for her info.

Her son is currently in size 3/4 clothing and size 8 shoes.

Also, does anyone know of organizations that she can go to for support? I told her about Strong Start, and she knows about Family Place.

Thanks so much mama's...there's only so much I can do from over in Vancouver.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#22 of 110 Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 AM

If any of you are homelearners (or thinking about it) we are having a get together this Thursday at Spectacle Lake park at the top of the Malahat. We'll be meeting up at the lakefront (end of the trail from the parking lot) at around 12:30 and will likely be there all day. Bring your swimsuits, etc. There are picnic tables, pit toilets, and a nice shallow area for non-swimmers to play.

#23 of 110 Old 08-07-2010, 04:55 PM

I was just going to post and see if there are other homelearners We are going on year 4 with SelfDesign and LOVE them!!!
We have 4 kiddos and live just North of Duncan in Westholme. We are building a cob home as a family this summer and will be in by mid Oct! WAHOO!! This winter I would like to get my girls in a few more activities since we were travelling before and now that we are settled its a perfect time
Also about the compost question yes you can start it in Nov, we have a composting toilet and our compost pile stays at between 120 and 140 F all year round. The extra rain as long as its not weeks on end actually help the pile. We have a compost bin structure built out of wood pallets. In our case it needed to be made animal proof and far away from kid areas..

Mama to SDD (12), DD (8), DD (6), DD, (4), DS (3) and new little babe arriving Dec. We are in the process of building our cob home and homestead
#24 of 110 Old 08-07-2010, 05:25 PM

I am finally in Duncan too! looking forward to some meet ups, looks like the homeschoolers are doing another beach day tuesday and I plan to bring my two.

#25 of 110 Old 08-08-2010, 10:17 PM

kimmom, are you on the cowichan valley homelearners yahoo group? seems I recall someone posting on the list about building a cob house. I am very interested in cob building and would be thrilled to see what you are doing (who are you using? I know there's a local cob house architectural group here).

unfortunately i can't make it tuesday. :-(

#26 of 110 Old 08-09-2010, 11:20 AM

My LO is just 4 months old, so we're years away from any type of schooling, but hope you have fun at Spectacle Lake!

Kimmon: wow, a cob house. Cool! I used to entertain all kinds of living on/with the land fantasies. Mostly adobe in New Mexico, because they were tied up with endless sun fantasies Eventually I figured out I'm pretty much an in town girl, and try as I might, I always end up back on the Island, and my future veggie garden is probably as close as I'm going to get to it. I'm happy with it, but love to live vicariously through others. Thanks for the composting tip, I can't wait to get started. We're putting an offer in on a house tomorrow. Woohoo! My veggie garden means I have to dig up pretty flower beds though. I already asked this on the gardening site, but I was concerned about growing edibles in a previously ornamental garden. I am assuming the previous owners have used chemical pesticides. If I grow edibles in that dirt, is that OK to eat?
#27 of 110 Old 10-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Just bumping up this thread to let anyone in the Cowichan Valley area know that the Duncan La Leche League group has reformed. Myself and Lisa Wilson (formerly of Coquitlam LLL) are the leaders. We are meeting on the 1st Wednesday of each month at the Family Resource Centre on Beverly Road right behind Alexander Elementary School. Meetings start at 10 am, tea is provided.

#28 of 110 Old 11-10-2010, 08:56 AM

Anyone here closer to Victoria? I just moved here a few months ago with my DS, and I'd love to get together with someone! I feel so jealous seeing other mamas walking in packs!

#29 of 110 Old 11-10-2010, 07:15 PM

Welcome, lovepiggie!

If you are a homelearner there is a large and very active homeschooling community in Victoria. They meet regularly for playdates, park dates, and have lots of classes and activities organized. I can send you links if you're interested.

If you have any nurslings there are several La Leche League groups in the Victoria area - also a great way to meet mums and make friends.

#30 of 110 Old 11-14-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet68 View Post

Welcome, lovepiggie!

If you are a homelearner there is a large and very active homeschooling community in Victoria. They meet regularly for playdates, park dates, and have lots of classes and activities organized. I can send you links if you're interested.

If you have any nurslings there are several La Leche League groups in the Victoria area - also a great way to meet mums and make friends.

Thank you! DS is still too young for any kind of schooling, but I'd be interested in getting in touch with them! And he is nursing - I'm currently a member of the Breastfeeding Cafe, but haven't been able to meet any  members yet.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page