Any AP parents in Halifax, NS? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 39 Old 06-25-2010, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DS and I will be coming to Halifax on July 24th/25th to look for a place to call home for August 1st. DH may come with us if our family back here is willing to load up the trailer, otherwise he'll stay back to load up all of our stuff and meet us there for the first.

We've been looking into camping or hotels for the week, but I got to thinking if someone has a room to spare it might be nice to meet some folks out that way and get any tips you might have (beats trying to do it all on my own).

We can talk about re-compensation if you're interested in having us. Let me know what you think if you might be interested and we can follow up.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#32 of 39 Old 06-27-2010, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend has a basement apartment. They had some long term tenants that left in December and they are doing renos to it to upgrade and rent it out again. It has a separate entrance, full bath, kitchen and 2 bedrooms. She backs onto a closed lake in Dartmouth. If you're interested in short term, I could see if she'd be willing to let it out and how much she'd want in rent for the time. There are no beds or anything though. I might have a connection to borrow a queen sized air bed in a bag (off the ground on a frame type) along with other stuff you might need.
#33 of 39 Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePeanut View Post
My friend has a basement apartment. They had some long term tenants that left in December and they are doing renos to it to upgrade and rent it out again. It has a separate entrance, full bath, kitchen and 2 bedrooms. She backs onto a closed lake in Dartmouth. If you're interested in short term, I could see if she'd be willing to let it out and how much she'd want in rent for the time. There are no beds or anything though. I might have a connection to borrow a queen sized air bed in a bag (off the ground on a frame type) along with other stuff you might need.
That would be lovely if you could look into it (and who knows, maybe we'd stay!?). We have an air matress so no worries there. I'd be comfortable paying about $40/night.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#34 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

So I met Wookie IRL!!! Totally a fluke, considering our boys went to the same preschool and we play at the same playground all the time. Nice to know you, wookie! Anyone else up for a playground meeting?
#35 of 39 Old 07-25-2010, 10:19 AM

We'll be arriving Wednesday afternoon (and booked up with rental-viewings Wednesday evening). We can come to a park near you...DS will need to run off as much steam as possible!

#36 of 39 Old 07-27-2010, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eirual View Post
We'll be arriving Wednesday afternoon (and booked up with rental-viewings Wednesday evening). We can come to a park near you...DS will need to run off as much steam as possible!
where are you looking, eirual?
#37 of 39 Old 08-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamandedeux View Post
So I met Wookie IRL!!! Totally a fluke, considering our boys went to the same preschool and we play at the same playground all the time. Nice to know you, wookie! Anyone else up for a playground meeting?
It really was neat, the way we`d been unknowingly crossing paths, eh mamadedeux. We`ve been on vacation last couple of weeks but would love to meet up with you guys any time now that we`re home. Pm me or I`ll prolly see you at our usual indoor haunt!
#38 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 02:15 PM

I, too, would like information about moving to Halifax (from the States). We have 2 yo and 4 yo boys. I would be working at Dalhousie and husband would be staying at home w/boys, at least initially.

We are looking for a walkable, bike-able city with great parks, good public schools and lots of things for preschool and early school-aged boys to do. We love good restaurants, good coffee and farmer's markets.

Does Halifax fit the bill?
#39 of 39 Old 11-04-2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylocat View Post
I, too, would like information about moving to Halifax (from the States). We have 2 yo and 4 yo boys. I would be working at Dalhousie and husband would be staying at home w/boys, at least initially.

We are looking for a walkable, bike-able city with great parks, good public schools and lots of things for preschool and early school-aged boys to do. We love good restaurants, good coffee and farmer's markets.

Does Halifax fit the bill?
Halifax is very walkable. Opinions on bikes vary - drivers are not always that respectful. It depends somewhat where you are biking.

There are some nice parks throughout the greater Halifax area, and overall it is a city with decent amounts of green space and trees.

Public schools are fairly good, there doesn't, I think, tend to be the large variations there can be in American public schools. Nova Scotia does give less funding than some other provinces to education though. All in all, they are comparable to American schools.

There are a fair range of restaurants in Halifax these days, though not so many really fine dining places - the population isn't large enough for a lot of them. There are a number of Farmer's Markets - the old Brewery Market, which is the oldest in North America; the new market which just opened in a "green" building on the waterfront - this one is open throughout the week - and a number of smaller local ones. (I go to the Dartmouth market just across the harbour from the peninsula.)

Dalhousie has a lovely campus with some nice old buildings. I have a couple of friends who work there and they seem fairly happy, though I think a lot depends on the department.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page