Any AP parents in Halifax, NS? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I've just moved to Halifax (Bedford) and I'm finding it very hard to meet parents who share my parenting philosophy. To be blunt, I'm tired of being told to let my LOs CIO, or of raising eyebrows for extended nursing. My little guys are 3 y-o and 3 months. Anyone want to be our friend?

Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'll be there sometime this summer!

DH just got accepted to Dalhousie. I don't know where I'll be working (I'm a French teacher, so hopefully I'll find something!) or where we'll be living, but we're a comin'!

I'm determined to be outgoing and open minded when we get there...uprooting from all of our family and support networks will get awfully lonely without friends around...so hopefully we land in a good spot!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM

P.S. where did you move from?

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Old 01-21-2010, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I'm a very new mom, so I don't know a lot about AP--I certainly won't be offering parenting advice--but I live about a half hour outside of Halifax and I am thinking of going to the next LLL meeting at the Cobequid Centre. Have you tried there yet?

http://groups.lllc.ca/view.php?area=...ford/Sackville

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hi gals!!!!

I moved here from Mtl, and I'm fluent in French. I'm not a teacher, but I'm told there is a HUGE demand for qualified French teachers here. The local French school board is called Conseil Scolaire Acadien Provincial. Look up their website for more info. Most schools also have French Immersion and are also hard up for teachers. I hope you find a nice place; NS is gorgeous, there are some spots you'll likely want to avoid, but depending on the lifestyle you want, there are tons of great places. Let me know if you want to know more!

I've not been to the LLL meeting yet; I did make it there two weeks ago only to have the 3-y-o meltdown in the car (he thought he was going to school... and didn't want to leave the car) so we drove back home. Perhaps I'll go to the Feb. one. Meet you there perhaps?

Nice to "know" people here!
Old 01-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Mamandedeux, I just mapquested directions from bedford to Halifax and it said it was 21 minutes?!?! Do you ever go into the city? Would that be a reasonable commute? In my mind, I'm thinking on a much larger scale. The fact that you can aparently get from one end of Halifax to the other in 10 minutes is mind-boggling! I was imagining it being much bigger.

Maybe our options on where to settle will be a bit larger than I imagined. Metro is mailing out a transit map so I can get a better idea of how long it would take to get from point A to point B.

My French is far from perfect. Here in Ontario I'm a Core French teacher....I'm thinking I ought to brush up in order to do immersion successfully, especially the older grades but intend to do what I need to to find employment.

Old 01-23-2010, 05:54 PM

Oh, and surprisingly, I can't find any information about kindergarten out East. Do either of you ladies know if it's FT or PT and if it's PT, how the time is divided (half days? every other day?).

DS will be starting school in the Fall...would love to do montessori or something non-public, but we'll see how it goes!

Old 01-24-2010, 11:15 AM

Hey all! I'm a long time displaced Ontarian too. I've been in NS for 8+ years now. I attend the Bedford/Sackville LLL (as do a few other MDC'ers like "Blue Petals" and "MamaZozo"). It's a great bunch and most are AP'ers as well as extended nursers There is also a toddler's LLL meeting a few of us attend in Dartmouth near MicMac Mall for extended nursing support.

Regarding schools, it's not called Kindergarten out here, instead it's called "Primary" so try looking it up that way. They go every day, full days from what I know. My DS will be going to a private school though starting in September so I'm not 100% certain of how the public board is run. There are a few private schools in the area but their a fairly rare commodity.

As for running into other AP'ers out and about, not that common unfortunately. I did run into a nice woman who was an avid AP'er at one of the indoor playgrounds who will be moving here from SK in a month or two. So it does happen but it's definately not a common occurance. The farmers market in the Keith's Brewery downtown is where I see the most crunchy folks and far more baby wearing (because a double stroller is not an option in that building ) than anywhere else I go but they still tend to be more mainstream like Bjorns and cuddly wraps.

Also, there is a WAHM who opened her own AP style business in Halifax a year or so ago. She runs diaper wearing and breastfeeding workshops in her store. It's called Nurtured if you want to Google it.

There are definitely jobs in the public school board for French (core and immersion) teachers, just make sure your certification is transferable (mine was not - Don't get me started!).

Hmmm not sure what else you need to know but ask away if you like. There are a few of us on MDC.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:37 PM

It's looking like I should qualify for a Bridge Teacher's Certificate (basically a temporary certification that lasts for 3 yrs while you upgrade to meet NS standards). I'm going to send my application off next week hopefully (It's a lot of paper work that has to come together)....and hopefully it's not $95 wasted....I NEED to work while we're out there....mind you I do have waitressing and childcare to fall back on, but still....

I'm not sure how DS would do at a LLL meeting (he's not always on his best behaviour with other kids when my attention's diverted elsewhere), but maybe we'll try one out when we get there.

Oh, and would any of you ladies know how a vaccination exemption form works out there? Do you need one for school? If so, do you know where I could find one?

Old 01-27-2010, 02:39 PM

I'm about an hour outside Halifax and I'm starting LLL meetings in Dartmouth this week! Sackvill isn't very convenient to where I live. I have a 12 year old but there's a new baby on the way too

Yes, school is called Primary. They start the year they turn 5 before December 1st? I think. It was October 1st when my son started but it's changed recently. It's full time and usually in the same building as the next several grades.

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 PM

Alicia, I think the cut-off changed to December 31st.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:19 PM

Hi there,
Lots of AP extended breastfeeders around here. Cobequid group is full of them. I haven't attended in a while but it's always great!

Primary is now full day starting right in September. Registration is soon too!

Nice to meet you!

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

Old 02-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Hey Kat,

I've seen you around on HRM Parent as well...is anyone else on that forum? (I think it's okay to speak of other forums if done so positively....

Old 02-04-2010, 03:30 PM

I don't think it's very active - but those on there seem to be AP type folks.

Lots of us around, lots of other kind of parents too... It's funny, you're moving here and we are hoping to move to your area in about 18 months. My DH is at Dal now finishing his PhD.

Hey, I am going to usurp your thread for a sec... I am helping out with a car seat clinic through the IWK and there haven't been a lot of appointments booked It's Sunday if anyone is interested. I will make a new thread for it now....

Mother to a wonderful 4 year old boy born March 2007 who was once fuzmalesling.gifbfolderchild.gifdiaper.gif and still familybed1.gif

Starting once more from the beginning and  expecting bigeyes.gif a surprise someone pos.gif in September

Old 02-04-2010, 03:36 PM

And mamandedeux,

Go to the LLL meeting on Monday - you will feel better - and you will know you are not alone! Just got my reminder - I will copy it for you!

This is your monthly meeting reminder for the Bedford/Sackville La Leche League Group.

We will meet on Monday, Feb 8th at 7 pm at Cobequid Community Health Centre room 3162 – follow sign to room on 2nd floor. Our topic for the evening will be The Art of Breastfeeding and Avoiding Difficulties but as always we encourage you to bring your own questions and concerns to be discussed.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:45 PM

Kat, is the meeting likely to be canceled if it snows?

Old 02-21-2010, 06:03 PM

Hi all,
We just moved here from Chicago about 6 months ago. We would describe ourselves as AP, but sadly were not successful at the extended breastfeeding . Our LO is 19 months old.
Anyone had any luck with a no-vax or selective vax friendly doc?
I am tired of spending 5 minutes of my 9 minute visit at the docs explaining why we don't vax and leaving little time to discuss the reason we are there...grrr
Old 02-24-2010, 01:51 PM

If you think AP is hard to come by in the HRM, you'd feel like a total loner in Bridgewater

I moved here last summer from Ontario. I have two "extended" nurslings - a 4 year old and a 2.5 year old. I think we may venture up to Bedford for that LLL meeting! We do have wonderful LLL meetings here, but my kids often get a bit bored with being the only ones over 6 months old! Although last month there was another "extended" nursling there - whos mum said to me as soon as she saw me nursing that I musn't be from around here!
Old 02-28-2010, 10:13 PM

boy, am i glad i visited "Canada" today..i'm not usually a regular on this forum. we recently moved from alberta too (well, a year ago but i had a baby soon after so i haven't been social much). it sure would be nice to meet some of you ladies IRL. what's this cobequid meeting y'all are talking about? and the LLL ones? i have 2 young dss too--3yo & 10 months--and i'm itching to meet some fellow APers.

i'm watching this thread...
Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM

wookie - We were talking about the La Leche League meeting at the Cobequid Community Health Centre in Sackville. It meets the 2nd Monday of each month, so that's this Monday coming up (Mar 8). For more information, read the link I posted or the message Kat posted last month.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:21 PM

cool! maybe i'll drop in and meet some of you this monday. off to check the link...

ETA: noticed that the LLL meetings are in the evenings. not good for me, unfortunately any other playgroups/meets going on?
Old 03-05-2010, 09:17 PM

We have been attending the Sackville LLL meetings for ages and there are lots of AP and extended nursers there. My dd is 31 months and I have a 2 month old, both are still nursing. As for play groups we attend a playgroup at Vineyard Church in Sackville. They have a huge indoor play space with lots of play houses, slides, ride ons etc. It is 2$ and they have a place you can buy a snack if you forget to pack one It is Wed and Thurs mornings from 9-11. I'm not sure about ap moms but I see lots of nursing moms and gentle parenting.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Nice to "meet" you all! I'm sorry I'm not on the computer very often, and sadly we were hit quite badly by the flu here so I didn't make it to the LLL meeting last week. We're off to Montreal for a few weeks (me and the boys - yay!), but when the weather gets nice, perhaps we should consider organising a meeting at a local playground during the day!

Oh, and I have been to the Sackville playgroup- it is indeed a lot of fun, but my 3-y-o is going through a weird phase now where he refuses to go anywhere except the playground and the grocery store . Fun.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:42 PM

meeting IRL would be great. looking forward to it.

we've been to the sackville playgroup a few times as well. i find now that my 4 yo doesn't have as much fun there as he did when he was younger. there's a whole lot of younger kids there and there's just no kids his age any more. it's a great outing for those bleak months though.
Old 03-09-2010, 11:51 AM

You know - I know alot of people like the Ice Cream church playgroup... But there is another in Sackville that may not be as fancy, but it's very open and free. It's also very small and since half of the children on any given day come from my home, it's at least half AP right?

Every Monday morning at 9:30am at the Sackville Legion. It's on the Sackville Cross Roads, just down from the library. Close to Corbin's Automotive.

Anyhow, it's totally free, and although it's done now until after Easter, I have a good time each week

Others are welcome!

Old 04-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Hi everyone,
We are moving to Halifax in June and are looking for advice on where to live. We have never been there and don't know where to start. We always live downtown in the cities we have lived in. We need to be walking distance to parks. library and groceries for sure and a farmers market near by would be a big plus. Is Dartmouth a nice area to live? I heard that the ferry is an easy way to get downtown Halifax.
I have a 3 1/2 yr old son and a 18mth daughter so I'm sure we will be out to that Toddler LLL meeting that was mentioned earlier.

Also looking for homeschooling groups or other homeschoolers with simularly aged kids.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawithstars View Post

looking for advice on where to live.
I have sent you a message, please check your inbox.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&M's Mama View Post
We have been attending the Sackville LLL meetings for ages and there are lots of AP and extended nursers there. My dd is 31 months and I have a 2 month old, both are still nursing. As for play groups we attend a playgroup at Vineyard Church in Sackville. They have a huge indoor play space with lots of play houses, slides, ride ons etc. It is 2$ and they have a place you can buy a snack if you forget to pack one It is Wed and Thurs mornings from 9-11. I'm not sure about ap moms but I see lots of nursing moms and gentle parenting.
Hmmm... Another tandem mama? I feel like I know who you are but I'm not certain. PM me?
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawithstars View Post
Hi everyone,
We are moving to Halifax in June and are looking for advice on where to live. We have never been there and don't know where to start. We always live downtown in the cities we have lived in. We need to be walking distance to parks. library and groceries for sure and a farmers market near by would be a big plus. Is Dartmouth a nice area to live? I heard that the ferry is an easy way to get downtown Halifax.
I have a 3 1/2 yr old son and a 18mth daughter so I'm sure we will be out to that Toddler LLL meeting that was mentioned earlier.

Also looking for homeschooling groups or other homeschoolers with simularly aged kids.
Hi Mamawithstars,

I I'm a Dartmouth girl and recently moved back after living in another part of the province for a while. Dartmouth has some nice spots that are very accessible to Halifax. Downtown Dartmouth has several nice facilities - a library with a great children's section, a few restaurants, community centers, theater, and even a Farmers Market. (Not as old, large or picturesque as the Halifax one but nice and less crowded - the Halifax market is not too far from the ferry landing.)

A few areas you might consider are:

The area just to the left of the MacDonald bridge coming from Halifax, right around Pelzant Street. Not the most high end but has character, and a lot of kids and young families. A great playground and not too far from the family center.

Also, the "flower streets". Tulip, Dahlia, Rose - the streets crossing them are pine, maple, etc. This might be slightly more expensive but there are flats there and it is close to the library and Sullivan's pond park.

There is also an area of houses between Ochterlony Street and the Commons, right downtown, that is nice if you can find something.

Up Pleasant or Portland Street, not right downtown but around Hawthorn, is nice.

One place you might consider if you are willing to take a temporary place is these apartments. They might be slightly farther than you would like to be, but they are not far from the Pelzant street area I mentioned. They aren't exciting, but they are kept up pretty well and aren't loud, and I think they do month to month leases.

If you decide on Halifax, North end is the most affordable but only some parts are nice.

There is a group on yahoo called HomLearnersNS you might like to look at. We will be just starting homeschooling with my daughter this fall, though we've been doing a little reading work.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 PM

So, DH is officially accepted to Dal, so we'll be moving to Halifax for August 1st().

Now, to find a job and a place to live....

I hope it all turns out well. Ideally I'll get a teaching job close to the university and we can all be local and keep life simple. If not, we might just find the cheapest place we can find on a month-to-month basis until I know where I'll be working, then settle into a place that works for us all (Dh going to Dal, DS going to school, and me teaching).

User Tag List