Any Maison de Naissance (Quebec) mamas here? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Hi everyone - Are there any mums out here being cared for by midwives at a Maison de naissance in Quebec, particularly the Gatineau one? I had my DS there and it was an amazing experience. Couldn't have been better and I will treasure those memories and the friendships I made there forever.

Now I'm hoping to have #2 there again and am wondering what the wait list is like these days? I called the day I got my BFP and was told to expect a call when they do up the due-in-October schedule in 6-8 weeks so I think that means I'm likely to get in.

Also would just love to connect with other mamas who know the Quebec system and the midwives here.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am! I had the same response from them regarding a call back. I called them at about 10 days post ovulation so I was pretty sure I'd get a spot, but I did need to wait several weeks to get a call back with a spot. And did not actually meet a midwife there until 12 weeks.

I'd bet if you are a repeat client and a multip you'd be likely to get in too. I think midwives like to know that you have previously delivered successfully and also you are likely to have a faster labour (less work for them!).

I haven't used the quebec health care system much, and only had 2 visits so far with my midwives. So I can't say too much about their practice or my experience with them. So far so good.

I had my daughter with amazing midwives in Ottawa, and I truly think that experience will be hard to beat. I am happy to know that you have such fond memories of your son's birth in the care of the maison des naissances! The only other woman I know who has delivered soon to be 2 babies with them also speaks highly of the birth center.

Congrats on your pregnancy!!

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#3 of 24 Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 PM

I'm not familiar with them,but am in Montreal as well and am looking to connect with other mamas around here.

From what I hear if you've been with them before they move you up on the waiting list. Good luck! I really hope hear back from them soon.
#4 of 24 Old 02-20-2010, 12:51 PM

This is my second pregnancy with the same midwife, I just called and got an apointment right away. The official policy is to give priority to previous patients so that's partly why there is the waiting list system for new ones. With my first, I had to go to an information session first and then they called me back for an apointment. I was still pretty quick but that was 6 years ago so there was less demand and I was 19 and single so I am pretty sure they put me ahead of some other people.

Regardless of how you get in, the first apointment is usually around 12 weeks. There just isn't much to do or discuss before that but they are still available if you have questions that need to be answered before that.

I don't know if the Gatineau one works the same as the Montreal ones but from what I hear, they have always had a very high demand.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#5 of 24 Old 02-20-2010, 01:40 PM

i'm doing a home birth with the midwives from the jeanne mance birth centre in montreal. i was with midwives in london ont originally (until about 20 weeks) but we were transfered to montreal through my husband's work. fortunately we had a few weeks notice, so i was able to start calling all the centres and bugging them to get on their list at about 12 weeks. however, the jeanne mance centre was the only one to have space, and we had to make sure we moved into their neighbourhood to get in there. i was willing to do that, i want a homebirth really badly!

anyway, i'm 35 weeks now, and so far i really like them... i've had to switch midwives a bit (i don't speak any french, so i have to be with the most english fluent midwives) but it's been a good experience.
#6 of 24 Old 02-23-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yippee! I got a call back already!!! My first appointment is March 25, when I'll be 11 weeks. I am so relieved to get in, DH and I danced around the house when we got the message. My midwife with DS told me that having a prior birth with at the centre doesn't get you ahead on the waiting list but it must. At least skipping the info session this time got me on the list a lot faster. I had also heard that demand for their services has exploded in recent years so the acceptance rate was getting lower and lower. I was already preparing myself mentally for a hospital birth with a doula or having to go to midwives in Ontario. So I am over the moon that I get the first choice for my care and that it's already settled. I'm not even going to bother going to my family doctor.

Mamakaikai, who is your midwife? My appointment is with Julie. I don't think I've met her before. With DS, I had Andrea and Parvin. Parvin was present for his birth and it was the greatest experience of my life, despite a 40 hour labour. I feel that the birthing centre and all who work there have some kind of special magic and I can't wait till the 25th!!!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#7 of 24 Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and not a mama yet! I have a question regarding the Maison des Naissances in Gatineau. I'm Canadian and have been living in the States with my husband. We're planning to move to the Gatineau area within the next few months and since I'll need to wait 3 months before I get my sun card again, I'm guessing I need to wait 3 months before we TTC our first?

I believe they only accept people with the health card? Would I be able to still call them when I get a BFP? Thanks!
#8 of 24 Old 02-26-2010, 08:44 PM

When I called them they asked of I had my card and I do. They may accept you if you don't have one if you can pay out of pocket. You can try and check their website for that info or you could call and ask them.

Since the wait list will be long anyway,I'd probably TTC when you moved here and waited for the card.
#9 of 24 Old 02-26-2010, 09:02 PM

Thank you, missmich! A previous poster said that the first appointment was at 11 weeks, so I'd perhaps have my card by then, if they start charging at the first appointment!

They don't seem to have a web site, but I could always call! I'm anxious to TTC, I've been waiting for so long!
#10 of 24 Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 PM

Ok,maybe this place is not the same as the one you had in mind,but you can check it anyway. It's in French though and I couldn't find the "English" option.

http://www.alternative-naissance.ca/

I found this great website in another thread here at MDC that I've bookmarked and gone back to many times over the past 2 weeks.

http://www.yogaspace.com/index.html

They have info about yoga,birthing centers,natural baby clothes,cloth diapers etc...

When did you plan to move to Quebec? Which province are you from?
#11 of 24 Old 02-26-2010, 09:21 PM

Thanks, I'm French Canadian from Montreal and my husband is American! We've been living together here for almost 4 years and we are planning to move within the next few months, as soon as he gets his visa and a job.

I'm really hoping for a home waterbirth and hope I can have that! Otherwise, I might pay for an Ottawa midwife if I could.
#12 of 24 Old 02-27-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieBird View Post
Yippee! I got a call back already!!! My first appointment is March 25, when I'll be 11 weeks. I am so relieved to get in, DH and I danced around the house when we got the message. My midwife with DS told me that having a prior birth with at the centre doesn't get you ahead on the waiting list but it must. At least skipping the info session this time got me on the list a lot faster. I had also heard that demand for their services has exploded in recent years so the acceptance rate was getting lower and lower. I was already preparing myself mentally for a hospital birth with a doula or having to go to midwives in Ontario. So I am over the moon that I get the first choice for my care and that it's already settled. I'm not even going to bother going to my family doctor.

Mamakaikai, who is your midwife? My appointment is with Julie. I don't think I've met her before. With DS, I had Andrea and Parvin. Parvin was present for his birth and it was the greatest experience of my life, despite a 40 hour labour. I feel that the birthing centre and all who work there have some kind of special magic and I can't wait till the 25th!!!
Congrats on getting a spot! Sets the mind at ease doesn't it?
Yeah, I didn't bother going to see my family dr. either. I figured, really, what could she do for me?!
I don't know any of the midwives at the center. I've met Martine twice now, and will meet eloise next. I've heard great things about eloise. I know that andrea is away on mat leave and that's about all I know! I read somewhere that the centre only did 12 homebirths last year, which isn't hugely comforting as I am planning on having a homebirth. But hopefully the midwives I have will be comfortable with my choice of birthplace, it's all the same equipment really, so it just depends on their own comfort level at not being in the birth center which I gather is the preferred place for the midwife I have met.

When you gave birth to your son, where there any other women in the center? Did you hear anyone else? I am wondering in case I decide to use the center, how secluded one might feel there? Did it feel intimate, as in private, or were you aware of it being a workplace etc?

SAHM to DD 03/08 & DD 06/10 made with love with my DP

#13 of 24 Old 02-28-2010, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mamakaikai, Eloise is a dream. You will love her. She was called in about an hour before my son was born to assist Parvin. I had never met her before, though I'd heard wonderful things from Andrea, as they were room mates at the time. I had a very long labour (40 hours) but didn't find it difficult at all (at least I don't remember it being difficult!!), though I did launch into a healthy round of "oh no I can't do this, make it stop, etc etc" when DS started crowning. That is the only time I remember intense pain. Anyhow, it was Eloise who talked me down and got me over that hurdle. I can't remember what she said, I just remember that she was like an angel and she had an incredibly calming effect on me. I will always remember her for that.

I'm so surprised that they only attended 12 homebirths last year. Are you sure that's right? I would have guessed it was a lot higher. Perhaps it's because the birthing centre itself really is a wonderful option. We were leaning towards having a home birth (we were undecided right up till the end! Andrea had been to our house for a few appointments so she'd already seen it and said we could choose at the last minute) and in the end I'm so glad we went to the centre. We were the only people there and it was very quiet. The room was so comfortable and everything is just so easy there. The tubs are huge and they have all the right "gear" (poles, benches, trapeze type get-ups, I used them all!) Our home is very spacious and nice but by 30 hours of labour, I was happy for a change of scene. The best part of going to the centre was being waited on hand and foot by the midwives and the aide-natales who work there. They did my laundry, glasses of juice magically appeared, they turned our music on, our stuff was tidied, etc etc. (And they very kindly disappeared without getting insulted the moment I said there were too many people in the room.) I felt like a queen and my whole family felt so much respect from them and the environment in general. We left only 5 hours after DS's birth but it felt like I'd just spent a day at the spa. That building will always have a special place in my heart and I can't wait to give birth there again.

I'd never try to dissuade anyone from having a home birth as I can totally understand the appeal but we are really lucky here in the Gatineau area to have such a wonderful other option. I'd say that there are definitely advantages to going to the maison!

To Musiclovinglife - I bet it will be nice for you to come home. If you really want to get into la Maison de naissance, I would suggest that you wait to TTC until your card is just a few weeks away (you can speed it up by going to the office in Montreal in person to apply, they will give you your # right away, doing it all by mail takes at least a few weeks longer). The way it works is you call la maison the day you get your BFP. If it is your first time being cared for by them, they will ask you to come in to an information session. Go to the soonest session possible. At the end of the info session, you can put your name on the waiting list if you still want to (you will!) and then cross your fingers that you get a call. I've been told that only 50% of women on the list actually get in. I'm not sure if maybe that's not actually true or if I just got lucky this time. I don't think I was asked for my card number until my first appointment, which was around 18 weeks the first time, so that will buy you some time if you want to TTC right away. Because there is such high demand, I wouldn't count on being able to pay for care if you don't have your card. Good luck and keep us posted on your move!

#14 of 24 Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 AM

Thank you, Jessie! That is very good to know!!

I talked it through with DH and he prefers that we wait until I get my card in case I need care...I guess an additional 3 months of waiting won't hurt me!
#15 of 24 Old 03-03-2010, 05:17 PM

So nice to hear all the positive info about the maison de naissance in Gatineau, we are TTC and would love to give birth there. DD was born at the Lac St Louis Maison de Naissance in Montreal (Pointe Claire) and it was an incredible experience, despite being a looooooooong labour! The midwives were amazing! I am worried when the time comes I won't get a spot in Gatineau and if I didnt I would try to get back into the MdeN in Montreal but I'm not sure if they would accept me. We have already been to the information session (in Gatineau) and it was a beautiful place.

Mamakaikai, when I had DD in Montreal, it felt private except for the woman who came into the room next door, had her baby and left, all in few hours, while I was labouring away making slow progress

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#16 of 24 Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 PM

Since they're not asking for the sun card until the first appointment, I've been thinking again about TTC as soon as we arrive in Canada...I will have a private insurance to cover the first 3 months.
#17 of 24 Old 03-06-2010, 11:49 PM

I was fortunate enough to have my first kid at MDN Cote-des-Neiges in Montreal back in 2002 when demand wasn't so stratospheric. My other two pregnancies were automatic acceptances based on the first kid being followed by a midwife.

DH was 100% supportive of the idea back in 2002 and wouldn't have it any other way. We've seen a tiny bit of the hospital route, since our first kid was transferred there just before I got into real labour. The hospital staff were kind enough to let us return to the MDN to recover after the birth, so we got that royal treatment by the post-natal aides, and benefited from their culinary skills. DH jokes the MDN should be called B&Bs for Births and Breakfasts LOL

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#18 of 24 Old 03-07-2010, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixMom View Post
DH jokes the MDN should be called B&Bs for Births and Breakfasts LOL
That's exactly what we call it! Too funny! Our MDN even looks like a b&b - old house (manse) decorated in the seventies with pink paint and flowery curtains and all. I've heard rumors that they are moving to a new building that is bigger and closer to the Gatineau Hospital and I'm kinda sad about this. I'm glad I'll get to experience one more life-changing event in the old place.

#19 of 24 Old 03-14-2010, 05:56 PM

Hi all again! DH just got his visa last week, so we're job hunting!! We are hoping to move by June 1st though!

If we can't get a mortgage for a while because DH will need to start his credit history from scratch, then I might go to the Maison instead of doing a homebirth, should I be able to have a place of course!

So what would you all do if you were me? Would you wait until you got your sun card again after 3 months for me a returning Canadian, or start TTC as soon as we arrive? I can't seem to decide!
#20 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 12:48 AM

Its interesting to read all of these responses. I am due in July and put my name on all of the waiting lists when I was 13days past ovulation. I got a positive test before my period was even due. I am 23 weeks now and around week 17 I started calling the birth centers to get the scoop. Basically since I am due in the summer, 1st baby to be born in Montreal. The chances of getting in are even lower! Many of the midwifes go on vacation and they don't hire replacements. I attended my friends birth in Pt. Claire last spring so I was able to speak with the midwife recently about this waiting list situation. It was definitely discouraging. I wasn't willing to give up and luckily I just had my 2nd appointment with a private homebirth midwife today. The will attend my birth in July at home. I sure wish the spaces and services at the birth centers were more widely available, because now it seems like you only have a chance to get in if it is your 2nd baby there. I plan to write some letters to the local MP.

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#21 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclovinglife View Post
So what would you all do if you were me? Would you wait until you got your sun card again after 3 months for me a returning Canadian, or start TTC as soon as we arrive? I can't seem to decide!
My first appointment is next Thursday, I'll ask for you.

ETA - I think you could safely start TTC now, or say after a 1 month wait. Even if you got preg right away (which I hope you do but be prepared that it almost always takes longer than that), your first appointment won't be till about 12 weeks so you should have your card by then. I'm 99% sure they don't ask for your card number until the first appointment (ie. not on the phone or at the info session) but that's what I'll ask about. You may be able to go to the info session before getting your BFP and that would speed things up - then once you get your BFP, you can be put right on the waiting list instead of waiting until after you've been to an info session, which could be a few weeks if there aren't any scheduled. Hope this makes sense. I'll ask what they recommend and will post again late next week.

#22 of 24 Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanegans View Post
Its interesting to read all of these responses. I am due in July and put my name on all of the waiting lists when I was 13days past ovulation. I got a positive test before my period was even due. I am 23 weeks now and around week 17 I started calling the birth centers to get the scoop. Basically since I am due in the summer, 1st baby to be born in Montreal. The chances of getting in are even lower! Many of the midwifes go on vacation and they don't hire replacements. I attended my friends birth in Pt. Claire last spring so I was able to speak with the midwife recently about this waiting list situation. It was definitely discouraging. I wasn't willing to give up and luckily I just had my 2nd appointment with a private homebirth midwife today. The will attend my birth in July at home. I sure wish the spaces and services at the birth centers were more widely available, because now it seems like you only have a chance to get in if it is your 2nd baby there. I plan to write some letters to the local MP.
I didn't know there were private midwives in Quebec. I thought they all had to be associated with a Maison de naissance. Can you please tell me more? I'm set now but would still like to know all the options for the future and for passing on to friends. ETA - never mind, I just got caught up on the HB in Montreal thread so saw all the info about "underground" midwives.

I'm so sorry to hear about the situation in Montreal in this thread and the other one. It's true that there is wayyy more demand than there are available midwives in Quebec. In the province's defense, there is a huge push on now to increase the services. In a nutshell, above-board midwifery was basically shut down for several decades but the govt is very much in support of making it as available as possible in the future. In no small part because the MDN safety and satisfaction records are incredibly high. There have been several articles in our papers here in the last few years. I understand that the money exists (though of course that can change quickly from one budget to the next) and the plans are in place to open more and more MDNs but the main limitation right now is training midwives. The only school is in Trois Rivieres and it is limited in the number of graduates it can produce. I've been told that Quebec midwives have to be trained in TR, outside qualifications are not transferable. Hopefully I'm wrong about that as it's totally ridiculous and limiting. However, it looks likely that our daughters will have much better access to midwives and natural birth support than we do now...for what that's worth.

#23 of 24 Old 03-20-2010, 04:13 PM

Oh thank you, JessieBird, you're so nice!

I didn't think of going to the info session before my BFP, that's a great idea! I will also have a private insurance for the first 3 months, so at least I'll be able to use it should I need care for PG...But if they don't take me, does anyone know when is the first appointment with an OB/GYN in Gatineau?

I also read on the Sun Card web site that they reimburse services due to PG and labor if you don't have your card yet, not sure if I read that right but if so, it'd be a plus!

DH is quite stressed about our upcoming move, and he wants to take one thing at a time and make sure our situation is stable. We're learning though that it might take a while before we can get a mortgage due to his need to build a new history of credit from scratch anyway, so I don't mind renting for a couple of years with a baby.

I'm glad that they don't ask for the sun card at the info session!!!
#24 of 24 Old 03-22-2010, 12:55 PM

Yes, as far as I know the midwives in Qc have to be trained in Quebec and employed though one of the 3 birthcenters to work here. Obviously they don't have that many spaces to employ midwives. My midwife was trained in the US so her education is not recognized here. ridiculous.

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page