Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Blooming Time - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 768 Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intuition View Post
Question: Lower Lonsdale or out in the Mount Seymour area? I found some great non-market housing I'd like to apply to, and I don't know what either area is like (though we'll be doing a big drive this weekend to check them out), or what the commute would be like for DH. He works on Howe and Smithe, so he's a little put off by living more than six blocks away.
If I were choosing just based on the neighbourhood, I'd say Parkgate. Lower Lonsdale isn't my style (much more urban). However, from a commuting standpoint, if your dh does, or is willing to do, transit, lower Lonsdale is awesome...walk to Lonsdale Quay, hope a Seabus, and walk a little on the other side (or hop a bus, if he prefers).

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#362 of 768 Old 05-11-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
And about the kids...I have a quote on the wall by my desk: "Children need love the most when they are acting the most unlovable." Erma Bombeck. I have to remind myself of this often!
I'm going to tattoo this backwards on my forehead, so I'll read it every time I look in the mirror. In general, I'm doing better than I was, but I have days (like today) with ds2 when I wonder if I shoudl have ever had children. *sigh* He deserves better.

Homelearning...it's an adventure. I'd intended to be...relaxed, eclectic, I guess? Instead, I'm unschooling...and while I think that unschooling is an awesome approach, I think that accidental unschooling is something else again. I just can't seem to get organized or on top of anything. I got up this morning - didn't even go near the PC, so it wasn't that - and it was noon before I did anything but feed people, and wash my sheets. *sigh*

DD1 and ds2 are spending most of their time just running around outside with their friends. I want at least a little academic learning going on, but I"m not managing to make it happen. Mind you, ds2 is well on his way to reading, so maybe that will spur his older sister a little. I just wish I'd realized sooner that she needed glasses!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#363 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemple View Post
But I'm suspicious of the fact that they have vacancies for September! The UBC preschools all have very long waiting lists!
I know the UBC daycares have long waiting lists, but I don't know about preschools - completely different animals. And the UBC daycares only have long wait lists because people don't bother looking any further. I had a little incident with their waiting list when DD was that age, and ended up having to find a daycare just "outside the gates" that turned out to be fantastic - even if they did have a couple of spaces at the time (September, and I called them in August!). It was so fantastic that I sent DS there years later. So I wouldn't count a preschool having spaces as necessarily a bad thing. Especially if the spaces are for September and it's only May. But I'm sorry that I don't know anything about that particular preschool.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#364 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Homelearning...it's an adventure. I'd intended to be...relaxed, eclectic, I guess? Instead, I'm unschooling...and while I think that unschooling is an awesome approach, I think that accidental unschooling is something else again. I just can't seem to get organized or on top of anything. I got up this morning - didn't even go near the PC, so it wasn't that - and it was noon before I did anything but feed people, and wash my sheets. *sigh*

DD1 and ds2 are spending most of their time just running around outside with their friends. I want at least a little academic learning going on, but I'm not managing to make it happen. Mind you, ds2 is well on his way to reading, so maybe that will spur his older sister a little. I just wish I'd realized sooner that she needed glasses!
I feel the same way; I have a hard time organizing myself, let alone anyone else! That's why we're sticking with New West Homelearners' next year even though I'm really not liking the whole reporting/portfolio/marks bit. At least the kids are getting some structure...
I asked them to do a little in some workbooks today & you'd think I'd asked them to...build a house...or something. Actually, dd had the strangest reaction: after completing almost two pages in a math workbook --and getting everything right--she freaked out & tried to erase it all because it was too hard & it took forever to figure it out. It was converting from am/pm to 24hr clock & back & took her all of about 10 minutes to complete.
It seems like any time I ask them to do anything outside their comfort zone, they (again, mainly dd) absolutely freak out.
Thoughts??

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#365 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 01:00 PM

Helen... does is your dd ok with worksheets in general? Cass hates them and simply will not learn this way... Malcolm and Lucas on the other hand will actually choose them! I don't know how much flexibility you have with New West in that regard... For Cass, I just give him a bunch of options and / or see what he comes up with... sometimes its hard to trust that it will all work out and then he will spontaneously do something I never expected... like he has started writing a book this spring!! and this was from a kid who hated typing and writing! if I had told him to write it he would have freaked out but because it is his idea he is very happy with it... when we did portfolio reporting I had to be creative with Cass because he wouldn't do worksheets but we did videos a lot to show his l;earning process and this worked for him because he is a big oral communicator... I don't know if this helps any but thinking aloud! mostly I have found it is best to let go of things they are resistant to and let them find it on their own, but I do insist that they find something else to do...

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#366 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 01:02 PM

one more thought... your dd is old enought o start organziing herself somewhat... maybe that would be a good thing to work on and to take some of the responsibilty off you? Cass does most of his learning independently now... I just take him t the library etc... he finds most of his own materials for projects...

#367 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 01:17 PM

I thought I'd set up a signature but I guess not, so I suppose I should introduce myself a little more thoroughly--I'm a SAHM with a one year old who joined us through local infant adoption. We do most, but not all, of the "crunchy" stuff and we're working on learning about and implementing unconditional parenting Homeschooling/unschooling may or may not be on the radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
Hi BLB

Good to "see" you here too! (Btw for those who don't know, TBW stands for www.theBabywearer.com, a babywearing on-line discussion forum. Yes, we're geeks)

We just came back from spending Mother's day weekend with the IL's in Courtenay on the island. It was a good trip so I can't really complain about Mother's day this year...
Hi Ellaine! That sounds like a fun Mother's day. Courtenay is one of the places we'd love to end up once DH is finished his PhD (our dream is to buy some property and a sustainable hobby farm/arts community type thing with one or two other families--DH would build the homes from the ground up using sustainable building techniques etc. ), and we'd have a suite or cottage or something that we would let out for little or no rent to teenage/single/otherwise in-crisis mamas. The things you dream about when you're tied to the city for 4+ more years...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
welcome blb

Thanks mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
I have an appointment on may 25th to take my citizenship test/interview, and then have to return a few weeks later to take my citizenship oath. I'm a little worried, as my friend said it took 5 months for her to be called back for her oath. I'm hoping they'll take pity on me and do it in June for me. I may also try to have it done in Calgary so I can visit mark's family instead of a repeat visit to vancouver, though I doubt that will happen...
Wow, that sounds interesting--I wonder what they ask in the interview? Where are you from? I noticed in your sig that you're adopting Where from/which agency? Have you connected with AFABC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulmom View Post
I agree with Tiffani about the well trained mind... lots of good ideas but a HUGE amount of work to actually do their program... it would be like 'school at home' plus a lot more! there is no way my kids would sit still that long also I must warn you that we tried math-u-see and my kids found it very boring and schooly... the dvds were just a teacher teaching I hear you though on math... Cass is progressing and wants to know more but doesn't want me to 'teach him' math' so we started two things: one he uses Time For Learning (an online ciriculum where you pay monthly) and he chooses his lessons and does them himself... they are well done with cute videos... and the kids can choose their topics and level... then we also have been using math novels... there is a series out the UK called Murderous Math that he loves and check out these books... I hate Mathematics! and Math for Smarty Pants... both very cool conceptual math books (I even learned a few things!) I use a montessori math circiulum called Shiller Math for Lucas and Malcolm but they like it and like the lessons so it works for them... its one of the only real circulum we use...
MATH NOVELS?!?!?! That's amazing. If we ever homeschool I'm so checking those out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemple View Post
Hi everyone,
Does anyone have an opinion of UHill Preschool? After thinking I wouldn't put my 3 yr old dd in preschool next year, now I think she might like it, if it's the right fit. Going a little nutty at home with 7 week old ds and me, and seeming to want more structure!

Anyway, I live at UBC, and am trying to find a good preschool near us. The only one with vacancies that looks good (it uses a Reggio Emilia approach, which I think I like, from what I know) is UHill.

But I'm suspicious of the fact that they have vacancies for September! The UBC preschools all have very long waiting lists!

Anyway, any opinions? About UHill or any others? I'm only going to do this if I think she's really going to enjoy it!

Thank you very much!
Where is UHill? I don't think I've heard about it but it would be great to find a place without stupidly massive wait lists. We can check around at playgroup later today and see if anyone there knows about it.

Quote:
I'm going to tattoo this backwards on my forehead, so I'll read it every time I look in the mirror. In general, I'm doing better than I was, but I have days (like today) with ds2 when I wonder if I shoudl have ever had children. *sigh* He deserves better.

I already have days like this (um... at least half of them? ) and I only have one one-year-old. I'm still totally at a loss to actually envision how homeschooling/unschooling families do it all, practically speaking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
I know the UBC daycares have long waiting lists, but I don't know about preschools - completely different animals. And the UBC daycares only have long wait lists because people don't bother looking any further. I had a little incident with their waiting list when DD was that age, and ended up having to find a daycare just "outside the gates" that turned out to be fantastic - even if they did have a couple of spaces at the time (September, and I called them in August!). It was so fantastic that I sent DS there years later. So I wouldn't count a preschool having spaces as necessarily a bad thing. Especially if the spaces are for September and it's only May. But I'm sorry that I don't know anything about that particular preschool.
Lori, would you mind PMing me the name of the daycare, just in case we need/want it at some point?

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#368 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I asked them to do a little in some workbooks today...--she freaked out
Thoughts??
Sigh. Wish I could help you there. Calvin absolutely HATES workbooks. And I've come to peace with that. Because kids *don't* learn from them - they have to know the material to complete it in the first place. Practice can be good, but... I'm not willing to put up with Calvin's malarkey just for the sake of doing worksheets. Sometimes we do them out loud - Calvin is often ok with that - just to give me a chance to gauge what he knows. My guess is that if they knew they had to do workbooks on a regular basis (like every morning), there might be less kerfuffle. But I'm not sure because I've never managed to do anything on a regular basis. :

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#369 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 01:41 PM

BLB
Did you buy a wrap off me at some point a few months back?

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#370 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 02:16 PM

Dawn--maybe? I don't think so though, your name isn't ringing a bell... But I have perma-mommy-brain so who knows

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#371 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 05:46 PM

Hehe just the UBC housing rang a bell and she's from the babywearing group too. But I think that mama had a boy baby now that I think about it.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#372 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
one more thought... your dd is old enought o start organziing herself somewhat... maybe that would be a good thing to work on and to take some of the responsibilty off you? Cass does most of his learning independently now... I just take him t the library etc... he finds most of his own materials for projects...
Projects... ...what is this thing you speak of??

Actually, I have no idea how to do projects, so it's very difficult for me to teach that to my kids .

I'm feeling pretty down about this whole thing right now, actually. When I do try to teach DD something, I end up making her feel bad somehow for not knowing how to do it right the first time & I correct her. Not sure if that's me or her...

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#373 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 09:15 PM

Helen... how about things that are self correcting so you don't have to do... check out learning wrap up for example or let her see the answer book (if you have one) I usually just say things like..."hmmm I see one answer that isn't right... can you find it?" remember that teh figuring out process is just as important as learning how to do it the right way... I am often surprised at the path my kids take to get to the right answer...

right now learning in my house is not the issue... its crazy rambunctious loud and often obnoxious behaviour that's making us today was not a good day but I handled it better than I would have a week ago so that's a good thing right? I

#374 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 09:17 PM

and for projects... I downloaded some lapbook templates a while back and then I let them select what sections to do (not all of them) and they add some of their own... then they have made up their own things from doing that... like Malcolm made a book of the planets... I think the most important part of this is letting them choose a topic they are interested in... so Cassidy did one on the history of war and weaponry and Malcolm did a lapbook on whales and Lucas did one on sharks

#375 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Projects... ...what is this thing you speak of??

Actually, I have no idea how to do projects, so it's very difficult for me to teach that to my kids .

I'm feeling pretty down about this whole thing right now, actually. When I do try to teach DD something, I end up making her feel bad somehow for not knowing how to do it right the first time & I correct her. Not sure if that's me or her...
DD1 and I are supposed to be doing a project on spiders - she was invited to do one for the Ecology Centre. I just can't seem to find any blocks of time or space when there aren't a million other things going on!

#376 of 768 Old 05-12-2010, 10:18 PM

First off, welcome to the new posters here, or returning posters, as the case may be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB View Post
Wow, that sounds interesting--I wonder what they ask in the interview?
I don't know, and I'm supposed to be studying for it, but I'm too dang busy!! I'll print out the study guide and read it on the plane, I guess... I think it's mostly just understanding the voting process, the structure of Canadian govt, and the ability to communicate in english or french, I think. That last part might just be to ensure that if someone *can't* communicate effectively, they would hook them up with language instruction? I don't know... I don't think I have to name all the provinces or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB View Post
Where are you from? I noticed in your sig that you're adopting Where from/which agency (We used FSGV and I love them)? Have you connected with AFABC?
I noticed in your post that you adopted, congratulations! Our journey has been long and arduous, and we were with FSGV back when we lived in Vancouver and were pursuing first Ethiopia with Kids Link/Imagine and then an independent adoption from Zambia. FSGV helped us with homestudy, canadian requirements, etc, we were essentially on our own for the Zambian end of things -- they were really great, I loved them too. When Zambia fell through, we were pretty devastated and needed to not focus on adoption for a while. My husband's mom had also just passed away after a long battle with cancer, so after that crazy year+, we needed an adventure, and moved to New Zealand. We didn't think we could adopt while we were here, but after about 4 months I wanted to get back on the horse, so we looked into it, and realized that since I am American, we can adopt through the US system -- Americans living overseas can adopt, while Canadians living overseas can not. So, we started our entire process over as Americans, and are now waiting on a court date in U g a n d a to bring home a little girl who is almost 1, and a little boy who is 3. Once we have legal guardianship of the kids in U~, we will head to california, since NZ won't let them in (long story) and we have to live in the US for at least 6 months to finalize our adoption. Dh will be able to work in California (he's in the process of immigration stuff too), and our plan is to stay there for a few years to be close to my family for a while (we lived in Vancouver for over 10 years prior to NZ) but I want to complete my Canadian citizenship because I imagine we'll live there someday again, sometime in the future -- and just because I can, really.

and yes, AFABC !!

for anyone who has been paying attention to my friend Keltie's plight in U g a n d a (she's Canadian) she finally got visas for her kids to come home to Canada! She has been waiting for them for a year, and of course, as soon as she left her kids in U g a n d a for a second time (to go home and be with her kids in Canada after being in U~ for 3 months) they were issued visas, before her jet lag even wore off.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#377 of 768 Old 05-13-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
and for projects... I downloaded some lapbook templates a while back and then I let them select what sections to do (not all of them) and they add some of their own... then they have made up their own things from doing that... like Malcolm made a book of the planets... I think the most important part of this is letting them choose a topic they are interested in... so Cassidy did one on the history of war and weaponry and Malcolm did a lapbook on whales and Lucas did one on sharks
Thanks! I was just talking to someone about lapbooks the other day & forgot again . I'll look into it.

#378 of 768 Old 05-13-2010, 12:11 PM

Helen... just find a topic your kids are interested in... the google "topic lapbook free template" no need to reinvent the wheel! my kids are very proud of the final results and like to show off their lapbooks

ok I am hoping today will be a much better day! off to the beach for some midday time to tire the kids out!

#379 of 768 Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Hi!

I have been lurking around here for awhile but never got up the nerve to post or introduce myself. Decided today was a good day to do it.

I have two daughters (9 months and 3yrs) and will be going back to work in September. I live in the Tri-cities area and also teach at one of the middle schools in Coquitlam. My husband (another teacher) and I have been looking at the direction that the school system is going and are a not particularly happy, especially at the younger grades.

I've noticed that many of you homeschool/unschool and wonder how you can afford it? I just don't see how we can afford to live off of one income and stay in Vancouver. However, for us to move is not really an option (job, support network...). I have looked into alternative schools/programs but all I can find are 'traditional' schools in the area.

I have been toying with the idea of starting my own school/unschool in the Tri-Cities area. I am interested in Waldorf, Forest schools, eco-literacy and learning through play. I am also a firm believer in the importance of emotional literacy.

What do you think?

Learning to accept each moment for what it is. Mama to dd ('07) and dd ('09)
#380 of 768 Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 PM

My kids are 4 and 1. From when I was pregnant with our first, our plan has been to homeschool. I guess we've been setting up our life and finances to ready us for when 'official homeschooling' happens. But it works with how we are parenting anyways. I did go back to work twice a week when he was one but I never wanted to be away from my kids full time. We also have never used daycare. Instead our family got creative and used dh's days off or got grandparents to watch the kids. We also did kid swap days with like minded friends.

We choose camping over expensive vacations. We are a one car family but use transit as our main way of getting around. We choose to buy our clothing second hand. We shop at local markets for food which seem to be cheaper. We find activities that are free or cheap. For gifts we ask for memberships like Science World or the Aquarium from our extended family.

We also live in a co-op where rent is quite a bit cheaper so presently I don't need to work. I've looked into home based businesses so I can make some extra money, but I haven't found anything yet.
I love the 'village raising a child', so the way I view homeschooling is to involve a lot of people in the learning. Grandparents, friends, dh and myself and tutors/teachers too.

Basically, if you want to make it work, you can. Some things need to change, but for us it was worth it. I'd rather homeschool then have 2 cars and go to Hawaii every year (for example). It wasn't too much of a stretch for us because we like to live quite simply anyway...but we are buying less electronics then we were pre-kids

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#381 of 768 Old 05-13-2010, 02:53 PM

Homeschooling and finances...

Well, if I weren't homeschooling, I'd still be home for a few more years, so it's not just about homeschooling.

We have four children. I don't have any post-secondary education and I don't interview very well or anything. If I went back to work at this time, I'd be extremely unlikely to make more than $40K...and even that might be pushing it. By the time I factor in school costs (I have one son in public school, and I know how expensive it can be), work-related costs (commuting, clothes, probably somewhat more take-out and/or restaurant meals, etc.) and childcare, it really wouldn't make a significant financial difference if I were to go back to work. I have no desire to (no career or passion for a particular field or anthing like that), so there wouldn't be any emotional payoff, either.

We can't really make it work. We're not able to save as much as we'd like, and we're in pretty rough shape financially. Once my oldest son graduates (next June! where did the time go?), we'll be looking into relocating.

Our situation is a little complicated, as dh is legally blind. Living in a metropolitan area, with good transit, gives him a degree of independence he just can't find in other places. We're already a one car family (we did buy a brand new minivan in January, which was financially reckless, but also financially sound...which makes no sense, but is true, nonetheless), as dh can't drive. I, personally, would only camp for family vacations, but dh would like to do some other things. We do spend some time at my stepdad's waterfront cottage on Gabriola - the ferry is a bit pricey, but it's a cheap vacation, otherwise. We rarely buy clothes (I hate clothes shopping and almost have to be forced to do it). We mostly live pretty simply. But, rent is harsh, and dh really wants to buy a house. That's going to mean moving.

#382 of 768 Old 05-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Most homeschooling families make sacrifices to afford homeschooling. At the same time, homeschooling can open doors that would be closed to a two-income family with kids in school, so it's a good trade-off. Financially, though, I think it's always hard, especially in expensive areas like Vancouver. If you can get creative about starting a business or something, you can do well, but not everyone is so inclined. I certainly don't have skills in that arena. Most homeschooling families make an effort to live on less -- like Dawn said ...

gotta run, kids turn on our ONE computer! what a financial sacrifice!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#383 of 768 Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 PM

nicoletti, did you contact the Ecology Centre about forest schools? I was recently contacted by a potential teacher for such a school, and I am debating starting a "program" three mornings a week for a couple of hours. However, it's very much in the planning stages. I am dragging myself into it kicking and screaming because I am tired from managing a school this year. However, if I combine it with Garibaldi Homelearners I MAY be able to get my dh on board with this wacky plan. I would run it with no more than 12 kids I think, and it would be parent participation (at least volunteering every couple of weeks to keep the ratios really low, ideally 1 adult to 3 or 4 children).

The North Shore is pretty far from Tricities, though. :-) Let me know if you would like to chat about forest schools. Maybe we could share an instructor if my potential one doesn't work out.

That said, dh is considering my wacky schooling proposal for dd and I need to check in with him to see if he'd be ok with it. If he isn't, I don't have the energy to start a forest school just because...not at the moment anyway. Maybe in a couple of years.

I'm fine with kindergarten (if we go to public school we are doing the local school and I am pulling dd at noon), but grade 1 scares the pants off me.

Helen, I have the opposite problem with projects. Far too many of them. See above.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#384 of 768 Old 05-13-2010, 08:39 PM

BTW: Totally OT, but I noticed some discussion about moving companies upthread. This is an area where I have som expertise, not as someone who has hired them, but as someone who grew up with a mover for a father (and my brother, BIL, and ex-husband, for that matter).

One thing about movers is that there are a lot of alcoholics in the business. It's unfortunate, but true. However, if a guy seems drunk on the job, he may not be...it might actually be from the night before. Not very nice from a hygiene standpoint, but some of them are actually quite good, conscientious movers while on the job. (My dad has a serious problem with alcohol - he also put a TV on his own personal Visa once when he tripped and broke a customer's tv on his way out to the truck. It was Superbowl, and he felt terrible. He had very few damage claims in his 40 years of moving, as well.)

All that said...if anyone's looking for a mover, let me know. I can recommend a good (small) company.

#385 of 768 Old 05-14-2010, 01:38 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses. We live pretty frugally but have a lot of debt that we are carrying and trying to pay off. We have been waiting for several years to get into a co-op but it just doesn't seem like it's going to happen as we need one in Port Moody/Coquitlam as we only have one car and my dh walks/rides to school. We have to move out of our present apartment come summer and have been offered a long term house rental - so we are going to go with that even though it means saying "no" to the co-op if they ever phone us.

Widemouthedfrog - the North Shore is too far away otherwise we would be looking at sending our girls to the Waldorf school. I am so glad to hear that you recognise that you can pull your dd out of kindergarten at noon, so many parents are not aware that this is an option. If the teacher complains, tell them that as the afternoon is intended for play and not curriculum you are sure that your dd is not missing anything. There is absolutlely no reason why you can't pull your child out.

The forest schools fascinate me, I don't think that I would be able to be outside all day in all kinds of weather (though my dds would be fine with it).

Learning to accept each moment for what it is. Mama to dd ('07) and dd ('09)
#386 of 768 Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 AM

Thinking of you Elena,

Shameless plug for my friend Keltie's adoption/Ugandan women's work collective fundraiser... http://www.mercymoi.blogspot.com/
beautiful recycled-paper bead necklaces, hand crafted by Ugandan mamas.

Lisa, the movers who I said were drunk were terrible, the company was terrible, they cost us $400 in damage to our floors, they broke a few things of ours, they were dishonest, slow, and the owner of the whole company said he'd cover the cost of the damage but never did, and lied and hid from us for months. So the fact that one of them smelled like alcohol was the least of our worries. He was the one who hid in the bathroom smoking for 30 minutes.
I would never hold it against someone that they smelled like alcohol while on the job if they actually did a reasonable job, but this was awful.

I think, though, that our moving karma was just repaid, as the guys who moved our stuff a few days ago were awesome. I gave them a $40 tip they were so awesome. And it was STILL super cheap. and they shared their 'chicken and chips' with dexter... I guess he looked hungry...

Tricia, do these forest schools have an indoor aspect too or are they only outdoors? the bowen island homelearners have a forest classroom, and it's pretty awesome. I think the kids do one of their two and a half days per week in the forest classroom, so each "class" of kids gets a turn there -- it's just a little room in the forest (connected to the salmon spawning eco center there) but it's pretty magical. Tricia, what's your crazy schooling plan? I don't think I've heard it...

#387 of 768 Old 05-14-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
Lisa, the movers who I said were drunk were terrible, the company was terrible, they cost us $400 in damage to our floors, they broke a few things of ours, they were dishonest, slow, and the owner of the whole company said he'd cover the cost of the damage but never did, and lied and hid from us for months. So the fact that one of them smelled like alcohol was the least of our worries. He was the one who hid in the bathroom smoking for 30 minutes.
I would never hold it against someone that they smelled like alcohol while on the job if they actually did a reasonable job, but this was awful.
Ugh. Yeah - there are definitely a few of those out there. I'm sorry you got ripped so badly.

Quote:
Tricia, do these forest schools have an indoor aspect too or are they only outdoors? the bowen island homelearners have a forest classroom, and it's pretty awesome. I think the kids do one of their two and a half days per week in the forest classroom, so each "class" of kids gets a turn there -- it's just a little room in the forest (connected to the salmon spawning eco center there) but it's pretty magical. Tricia, what's your crazy schooling plan? I don't think I've heard it...
I've never heard of forest schools. I need to explore this concept a little more. My one regret about planning to homeschool is that my kids will miss out on the Outdoor School program in Paradise Valley. Forest schools sound like a similar concept.

#388 of 768 Old 05-14-2010, 09:29 PM

Hi everyone. Welcome BLB!

Hi Nicoletti. We also homeschool. We definitely have made some sacrifices to do so. We used to live in a 2 bdrm apartment in the West End (2 adults and 2 kids), had 1 car, and basically were just really frugal. Slowly things have improved for us, and it helps that I make a bit of extra money through a consulting business that I do almost entirely on the computer, quite part time however and flexible. My husband has alternately been completely out of work, underemployed, or fully employed so he has been home to various degrees, which also helped. Things have improved for us since then but the bottom line is that unschooling is such an amazing lifestyle for us that I wouldn't give it up for anything! :-) The time spent with my kids, being able to observe natural, organic learning in action (it still amazes me to see it) and of course the freedom it brings to our days, being able to travel or take field trips during the week, etc...well, it's all really worth it for us and we would make substantial sacrifices to continue homeschooling.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#389 of 768 Old 05-14-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
My one regret about planning to homeschool is that my kids will miss out on the Outdoor School program in Paradise Valley.
Don't they have a homelearner program? I thought they did, or maybe it was associated with one of the DL's like Garibaldi or something. Hmm...

There's a forest school just outside Courtenay, hint hint! ;-)

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#390 of 768 Old 05-14-2010, 10:27 PM

So, DS 1 who is 8 1/2 has lost three teeth in the last five days!! The dentist confirmed that a couple were quite loose and to expect this (last visit was Wednesday), but three?!?

I thought molars didn't come out until kids were 11-12? The dentist didn't seem freaked out, so maybe I shouldn't be either. It just seems so odd to have so many gaps in his mouth. A soft and mushy diet is on the way.

I guess I'm freaked out because the men in my family lost so many teeth due to hockey (my Dad and brother both played as careers for a bit), and so I WANT my kids to have all of their teeth! ;-)

My youngest wants his to fall out so the tooth fairy can bring him money

Hi Mariah!

........and now, back outside.......

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page