Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Blooming Time - Page 19 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#541 of 768 Old 06-01-2010, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I grew up in Nanaimo, and none of my friends or family ever went over to the mainland except for concerts and occassional days of fun. There's really nothing lacking, unless you want to shop, and even then, there are a billion malls on the island. The only thing is, you need a car there. The neighbourhoods are laid out a lot differently, and they are not walking-friendly. My best friend is a yoga teacher who grew up on Hornby, and she is extremely worried about her footprint, but she just plain needs a car, no matter how much she hates that need. And she lives in Victoria now, too. It's pretty unavoidable over there.

I do love the horse and buggy idea, though.
#542 of 768 Old 06-01-2010, 03:49 PM

Welcome, Aily!

Re: Vitamixes--they were at the Burnaby Costco this week. I think they come once or twice a year. We plan to invest in one at some point in the next couple of years. Jen, do you grind grain with yours? How efficient is it and what is the flour quality like? Grinding our own wheat and other grains is also on the list of "things to do soon-ish" and it would be great if I could use the VitaMix for that instead of having to buy (and store) a separate grain mill.

Anyone know of a good, cheap source for organic or practically-organic wheat berries, locally? I was pleased to find a really decent bulk foods store in Kerrisdale this week. Got a bunch of spices, lentils, engevita, falafel mix, hemp seed, etc., and they did have wheat berries, but not the big huge sacks of them I'm envisioning purchasing once we do start grinding grain. I'd also love to know of a source for really big storage bins (plastic, metal, whatever) for storing grains and things like Costco-sized sacks of flour.

Blenders are on my mind right now because I somehow managed to blend the rubber sealing gasket from mine into a green smoothie this week Currently waiting for a replacement to arrive from Kelowna.

Which also reminds me (because I was trying to make a copy of this in my blender)--has anyone seen Annie's Goddess Dressing (the tahini-based one, NOT the Green Goddess dressing) anywhere in Vancouver recently? I've been craving it for the last month and all of a sudden, no one seems to carry it anymore. I've checked IGA and some local produce markets, and I'm going to check Capers tomorrow, but I'm starting to wonder if it's stopped being imported into Canada or something. Anyone know?

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#543 of 768 Old 06-01-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLB View Post

Anyone know of a good, cheap source for organic or practically-organic wheat berries, locally? Which also reminds me (because I was trying to make a copy of this in my blender)--has anyone seen Annie's Goddess Dressing (the tahini-based one, NOT the Green Goddess dressing) anywhere in Vancouver recently? ?
Anita's for the wheat berries? Many delivery services like Spuds sell their line of grain if you don't want to travel to Chilliwack. You might look into a grain CSA, there are some starting up locally I believe...Anita's dressing...can you make it? It must be dirt easy and better in terms of the type of oil you can control? I want to switch to making condiments this year, I think we're eating too much in that department that I could make, as we shift to more healthy fats.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#544 of 768 Old 06-01-2010, 05:32 PM

I've found myself frequently thinking that the horse & buggy need to make a comeback. There really are times when walking and buses don't work that well. OTOH, the culture of the car that we currently have really isn't sustainable. Changing it is huge, though. There are car share programs (eg. "Zipcars"), which are a good start, I think. But, even those...how effective are they when you have to get to the place where the cars are kept, and you have kids in carseats to do deal with, and all that?

When/if (please let it be "when") I get a handle on whatever is wrong with me these days (my suspicion is hypothyroid, but we'll see), I do want to cut way back. But, it's going to involve a lot of planning. If I get dd1 and ds2 into classes at the same time, for instance, I can bus to the facility, instead of driving.

I logged 50 km yesterday, just driving around locally - took ds2 to preschool, and picked him up, took dh to work, took ds1 to and from acting class (picked dh up on the way home, but that didn't add any mileage). I managed to combine a shopping trip with one of those, but...wowza! IMO, that's a completely insane amount oil being burnt, and it's not a productive use of it.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#545 of 768 Old 06-01-2010, 08:06 PM

Autumn Mama, I think you'd find that once on the Island there aren't many reasons to go to the Mainland. Other than visiting friends and family, of course! It's so funny b/c when we moved from the West End to the North Shore I was not wanting to deal with the bridges, but as they say on the North Shore "everything is here". It's pretty much true, and I didn't have to go over the bridges much if I didn't want to. Now I'm on the Island and "everything is here", lol.

At 11:56 pm last night I bought a bicycle from Toys R Us. I spent an hour agonizing over what to do (after taking a break and then forgetting about it until I was ready for bed, lol). I didn't want to fill a cart with crap and junk that we'd just need to find storage for. Toys R Us were the only ones who I could find that would sell me a kids bike online. I couldn't get the one I wanted b/c with shipping and tax it was just over what I had left on the learning funds card, so I ended up getting this CHEESY Star Wars Clone bike. But hey, by that point it was spend it or lose it so I spent it.

Astrea: I think Annie's did some kind of product cleanout because MY favorite dressing was the Red Pepper Vinaigrette. I used it to make a yummy orzo salad. I have not been able to find it anywhere for months, so I'm assuming they don't make it any more.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#546 of 768 Old 06-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Oh, I see my username change went through I decided I didn't want my real initials floating around on a public forum.

I've tried making Goddess dressing before and it never ends up quite right. I'm going to keep trying (and looking) though. If all else fails I'll buy a crate of it when we go camping in Washington in July I know it's still being made, it just seems like it's not making it here!

I was thinking Anita's for grains, too... I'm interested in the grain CSE thing, though! That would be cool. I'll keep an eye out for that.

We're probably going to be un-insuring our car starting next week. Honestly, I'm a little freaked out, but I'm hopeful we can make it work since we have fantastic access to transit here and I only have one kid to wrangle. We could really use the savings.

#547 of 768 Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 AM

Astrea
Re: bulk bin storage... I got a bin from Ikea that is intended for recycling that is cloudy white, slightly sloped with a hinged top. I keep rice in there and it will easily hold 40lbs if not more. Here it is...http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/90076364

You can stack them too, if you want to save on space.

I hear you all on the reducing the driving thing. Since the price of gas has gone up (and will soon go up again), we've really cut down on the driving and spending more time at home or on transit. I mainly drive Emma to preschool, get groceries, and sometimes to the park now. Before, I wouldn't think twice about heading into Vancouver for some window shopping but like others have said, there's nothing I can get there that I can't get here.

My ILs live on the Island and aside from coming to visit us 2-3x a year, they never leave the island. Personally I don't know if I could ever move there. I seem to thrive on a lot of cultural diversity and I still get a little weirded out when I realize that I'm the only visible minority in a crowd, yes even in Courtenay.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#548 of 768 Old 06-02-2010, 05:40 AM

we lived without a car in vancouver for a few years, it is a trick to haul the carseats around. if they could solve that issue they'd get a lot of families - the car co-op we tried to persuade to have a carseat in every minivan, for example, or one carseated car in each neighbourhood. but northvan the co-op is thin on the ground. we thought we'd do it here, but in fact in london the transit is so exceptional, we just take a minicab or a cab now and then, we still never spend as much as we did purely on insurance. the postal service and deliveries are also common, i get my food largely delivered, and pretty much everything else as well. this isn't quite as easy in vancouver, you often have to pay postage. my father commutes on an electric-assisted bike - it charges when he goes down hills, and can use it to help going up hills...not practical for folks with kids (well, many countries would argue otherwise!!) but still, a great way to get around. we would be in heaven if horses + buggies made a comeback!! there is also converting diesels to biodiesel, what do you think about that? it isn't good for the air anyway, but the politics of the oil industry and the possibilities for environmental disaster are far less!! growing your own food is a great contribution. sometimes we think of leaving london and moving to a village somewhere, but of course things are expensive all along the train lines. when i lived in deep cove and commuted to school by bus, i used to dream that a skytrain went across burrard inlet to deep cove. we're reading little town on the prairie and 24 miles was too far for most folks horses in a day. it would cost me at least quadruple, at this point, and about 2.5 weeks, to get back to vancouver by boat and train. so, there it is. maybe someone could design a really astonishingly efficient glider. air balloon? i'm coming home, by zeppelin!

#549 of 768 Old 06-02-2010, 02:51 PM

The thing I'm most worried about, once the car is uninsured, is the winter and heavy rains--it always feels like such a hassle to get all raingeared up and then slog around on buses full of cranky people, YK?

Ellaine--do those bins seal, air-tight? There are flour moths everywhere here.

#550 of 768 Old 06-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliy View Post
Hi. I'm new to both the lower mainland and to this site. Was hoping to find new people. I have two boys 3 1/2 and 1 1/2.

So ...um... HI
Hi Aliy, welcome. I have two kids almost the same age as yours. If you ever make it over the Golden Ears bridge we'd be happy for a play date.

Astrea,
No, I don't think those bins are airtight if they are the ones I am thinking of. We use the mega sized ziploc bags from Costco for our grains to keep the moths out.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#551 of 768 Old 06-02-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrea View Post
Ellaine--do those bins seal, air-tight? There are flour moths everywhere here.
Nope, they're definately not air tight. I only store rice in mine and I like it because the lid flips up for easy access. If you're worried about little critters getting into the bin then that bin isn't for you.

I wonder how the bakeries store their dry goods? I know they have the round buckets with the lids that are definately air tight and food safe. Anyone know where you can get those?

#552 of 768 Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrea View Post
We're probably going to be un-insuring our car starting next week. Honestly, I'm a little freaked out, but I'm hopeful we can make it work since we have fantastic access to transit here and I only have one kid to wrangle. We could really use the savings.
The insurance ran out on my car on Sunday & we haven't re-insured it yet. I'm not sure if it's the coordinating only having one car or driving a pickup that doesn't fit in any parking spots that bothers me more.
Now DH is talking about leaving it un-insured for the summer ! We'll see how it goes this weekend with me away overnight & him home with the kids without a car .

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#553 of 768 Old 06-03-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
I wonder how the bakeries store their dry goods? I know they have the round buckets with the lids that are definately air tight and food safe. Anyone know where you can get those?
I was at a cafe (Jaime's cafe?) on the South side of Broadway just West of Main, and they had stacks and stacks of big buckets used for soup. I asked, and they said I could have a bunch. They're good sturdy buckets with tight-fitting lids, but I have to say that the ones that had mulligatawny and curry soups in them are not ones I'd want to store my dry goods in. You could try that place or places like it (cafes that serve soups will likely get them from a soup/catering company in these types of buckets). Big glass jars from restaurants might do too. (From pickles, mayo, that sort of thing.)

SeaIslandMama - ooh, summer with only one vehicle (and a big scary pickup at that) - eeeek. But it might be a nice experiment. Though it would make more sense to transfer the truck insurance over to the car for a few weeks until you actually need the truck?

We try to take transit when we can, but sometimes it just doesn't work, and I'm very glad we have our second vehicle. This whole hockey and lacrosse thing is insane.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#554 of 768 Old 06-03-2010, 04:50 AM

we do tend to have days out, when errands are run, classes etc, and then stay home..and as some of you know we persuade friends to come to us . when choosing where to live, walking distance to shops and classes is crucial...still i may give it up for country life. will let you know when i learn to ride a horse!

i have always wondered about organising neighbourhood carshares, the same way you would organise toolshares and babysitting exchanges...well, and the car co-op will consider putting a car in your neighbourhood if you can find a dozen people interested...! it sure was nice to have access to a minivan when i needed it, or an austin mini if we had a date!

#555 of 768 Old 06-03-2010, 01:08 PM

We only have one vehicle. That's not being green, though. We can't afford to run two (especially paying off the new minivan!), and dh can't drive. So, he takes the bus or cycles to work, and I have the van for running the kids to and from preschool and dance and stuff, and for all the various errands and outings. I really need to cut back on my mileage, though. In the last few months, it's started to climb up, which I don't like. I don't even mind the occasional long, one-time trip. It's the day-to-day driving around in my own neighbourhood (more or less) that I need to get on top of.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#556 of 768 Old 06-03-2010, 04:41 PM

When our transmission died and we were waiting for a new one (took over a month) we were considering a car co-op. We looked into Zip as well as the Car co-op network. The latter was considerably cheaper since you buy a $500 share when you join. When our van was working we only used it once or twice a week. I (still ) don't have my licence so we just do Costco and long distance stuff on dh's days off.
The things that turned us off of the car co-ops are the carseat thing. Dh would have to go pick up the car then bring it back home. Which wouldn't be far, like 10 blocks away. But the major thing is that I DO want to get my licence, and I wouldn't be able to drive the co-op car for 3 years.
Also looking at what camping cost would be be if we rented for a 4 day trip and it was crazy $

In the end our van got fixed and we are happy. In that month we got used to being carless, so we are trying to keep up all the walking and bussing we are now used to. It helps that we are in the hub of transit and getting to downtown takes 30 minutes and Metrotown takes 15 minutes by walking/skytrain.

That reminds me, I need to start studying for my driving test

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#557 of 768 Old 06-07-2010, 01:54 PM

Good luck on that, Dawn. I'm still driving on a Novice license, which I have to renew today. I finally got off my butt and booked my next road test, but there was no opening until July 2nd. Hopefully, it will go better than last time, when the tester stressed me out badly and really wrecked my self-confidence (which his pretty shaky at the best of times). It went really badly, and I've been procrastinating about redoing it ever since.

I really liked life without a car in many ways, but it's just not that workable for us right now. Mind you, when I look at what it costs to own and operate a car, I sometimes think I'd be better off being carfree most of the time, and just renting one occasionally!

#558 of 768 Old 06-07-2010, 04:52 PM

Here is the urban grain CSA.

Oh, and can anyone explain to me how money for homelearners works? The bare bones: how much from what places, and does it vary, and is it only on credit cards? Money, money, money.

Thanks!

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#559 of 768 Old 06-07-2010, 08:35 PM

Thanks for the link, Tricia!

Re: camping w/o a car--we plan to insure our car 2 or 3 times during the summer for a few days or a week, for camping. There are a couple of different ways to do this. IIRC, the cheapest option is to insure it for a while, like a month--and then cancel the insurance again when you get back from your trip a few days later. You'll be refunded the pro-rated amount. I can't guarantee that's correct because DH does the insuring stuff, usually. You can definitely just insure for a weekend, though. Cheaper than renting.

#560 of 768 Old 06-07-2010, 08:37 PM

New West Homelearners' Program allotment:
$500 / kindergarten school year
$1000 / grades 1-8 school year

Usually available in late September/early October.

Everything must be purchased through the program (no reimbursements or credit cards). They will provide a purchase requisition for anything at ADS (workbooks, textbooks, manipulatives, games, etc.); they place orders with Grand & Toy (& possibly some other places I don't know about); any field trips or activities with the school (mentorships, camp, etc.) are deducted; if you take a class with a private instructor, they must create an invoice to be submitted & paid through the school district (get these in early as it can take weeks to get through the red tape!).

Unfortunately, it is difficult to get classes paid for that have to have payment up front, such as at community centres. They do have a credit card, but the limit is not high enough to pay for the classes for 100 students in September. I have never had a problem getting something paid for later in the year, have found plenty of other things to use it for & now try to pay for any sports activities myself, so I can claim the tax credit.

Nicola says: Just for fun!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#561 of 768 Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
Oh, and can anyone explain to me how money for homelearners works? The bare bones: how much from what places, and does it vary, and is it only on credit cards? Money, money, money.
Self-Design: $1122/learner. I think that's for both kindergarten and older learners, as of the upcoming school year (because of kindergarten going full-time).

The money is added to a reloadable Visa three times a year. We can use the Visa for anything that will be approved under your Learning Plan...huge variety. If I'm not sure about something, I can check with my learning consultant. We just use the card, then fill out a form online to reconcile SD's records.

I know there are also cheques, which have to requested online, available for specific purchases. I don't really know how the requisitions work, though - I haven't used them at all.

It's definitely monitored, but it's pretty flexible.

#562 of 768 Old 06-08-2010, 12:04 AM

Yes we're with SD too, widemouthedfrog, and now they have things set up so that if you re-enroll by April 30th, or start up at first before a certain date, you will have your first "load" (1/3 ish of your total) on September 1st.

We have requested several cheques, it's easy and they arrive in about 2 weeks. I am rural so this may be faster for you urban folk

We have had enormous flexibility: pond scooping nets, various classes, a microscope, building kits from K'Nex to Lego to Kapla blocks, roving, wool, needles, sewing stuff, life jackets for swimming, all covered for learning purposes. The learning plan CAN BE REWRITTEN at any time to include these things, for the purposes of learning. So, if you decide to do some lake swimming and need a life jacket, it's easy to adjust your learning plan to now include lake swimming (*requiring the life jacket) into your current learning plan. Sooo much flexibility, I just love that creativity and thinking outside the box!

For paying for classes up front, what we've done is pay out of our own pocket in a way that is refundable (Visa or by a cheque that they "hold" and don't cash yet, for example), and then when you receive your cheque issued by cheque request or your next Visa load, then you get a refund and pay with the new form of payment...make sense??

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#563 of 768 Old 06-08-2010, 01:15 AM

Excellent, thanks folks. I will read through and digest. seaislandmama, do you know if New West is changing next year for full day k? I can call them and ask, I guess. I just feel odd asking about money, except on here!

My plans for a forest kindergarten seem to be moving ahead, but I want to make sure that people can use their homelearning funds for the program to make it more reasonable, as I also believe in paying ECE teachers at a decent level. I'm still a little freaked out about this, but I don't know why - I've been doing it for years and years (program organizing, hiring, development that is).

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#564 of 768 Old 06-08-2010, 01:41 AM

Re: homeschool $ How is it to buy stuff online? There are some pretty wonderful science websites for kids in the US, but I wonder how that would be for using the funding for?
Wow, full day K is good for homelearners then! Double the $

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#565 of 768 Old 06-08-2010, 01:49 AM

My understanding is that to receive the full ($1122) funding for K in SelfDesign, it is contingent upon taking part in an ongoing conference, geared towards kindergartener's child-led learning, that actually looks like it will great to participate in, but I love anything to do with understanding how organic learning happens, so I'm a bit of a geek in that regard!!

If you choose not to participate online in the learning conference, you only get the 1/2 amount of ~$550.

Brendan will be in K this year, so I'm looking forward to it.

#566 of 768 Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 AM

Dawn... we buy tons of stuff online with our SD credit cards... and have bought from US websites with no problems... just have to watch that you figure in the exchange rate when keeping track of money spent

in fact, we bought a couple of books in the math series Life of Fred which I would like to heartily recommend (for older kids). Cassidy loves it. Its textbooky but not workbooky and as the cover says 'as serious as it needs to be'... its a math textbook done in a story style with some humor thrown in... anyways just wanted to throw that out there... maybe it was Tiffani who was saying a while ago that you thought you needed to do more math with Lucy? can't recall... but this is a great series!

slowly adjusting to life here.... a little more sunshine is needed tho!

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#567 of 768 Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
Excellent, thanks folks. I will read through and digest. seaislandmama, do you know if New West is changing next year for full day k? I can call them and ask, I guess. I just feel odd asking about money, except on here!
I don't know. The primary program is only 2 hours a week for K-2, so I don't know what the difference would be unless the school district was going to full day K. Do you want me to ask?

#568 of 768 Old 06-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Hi Vancouverites -- I've been hanging around Mothering for a long time but I don't pop in here very often. I think I may know some of you from Marsupial Mamas a couple of years ago (Ellaine? I think your daughter Emma is just a bit older than my daughter Linnea).

Anyways, we have some big life decisions looming. My husband and I have been living on Commericial Drive for the past 6 years and we love it. We love the walkability, the groceries stores, the proximity to the farmers' market, and now with kids with love the Britannia library programs and Family Place. But, after taking a realistic look at our finances, we're never going to be able to afford more than a two a bedroom condo here -- and even that is pushing it. Sure I could go back to work full-time, but that's not the lifestyle we want to lead with little kids.

So, we're seriously considering moving to Port Moody. We can easily afford a 3 bedroom townhouse close to Newport Village, the library, and parks. I could take a few years off work and/or work part-time indefinitely. Homeschooling would be much more financially doable. We could even have three kids (got to get my husband on board with that first, but the possibility isn't totally ruled out). If I did go back to work, even part time, we'd have enough money to travel. But, how weird would I be in Port Moody? On the Drive nobody thinks twice about the fact that I'm having a homebirth, cosleep, babywear, might homeschool, and all those other crunchy things. Even if the other parents don't do them they're used to other people doing them. I love how close the outdoors are in Port Moody (who's starting a forest school? How can sign my daughter up?!) but am I going to feel isolated?

I figured that there must be other Vancouver mamas who have gone through this sort of decision. Any thoughts or ideas are much appreciated!
#569 of 768 Old 06-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Hi Pippi L.

Yes, I think I recogonize you from your description. Good to see you here!

I'm in Port Moody and live in Heritage Woods, which is about 4 minutes up the hill from Newport Village. I think you would love Port Moody. I love how close we are to nature here (Anmore/Belcarra are just minutes away) and we have some great kids parks (Rocky Point for example). There might even be a forest school in Anmore...Does this fit the bill? http://www.friendlyforestpreschool.com/

There's lots of babywearers around here and although we don't really talk about it much, I'm pretty sure people do cosleep and cloth diaper around here. I don't know many homebirthers though. I have also talked about homeschooling with people around here and no one's raised an eyebrow. The Coquitlam school board actually has an "Open learning program" which is a Distributed Learning program for homeschoolers which we are looking into.

Oh, and we have a great farmer's market on Sundays with an indoor winter market when it gets cold. Plus you're never too far from the local farmers out in Port Coquitlam, Pitt Meadows, and if you're incleined to go over the Golden ears bridge, you'll be out in Langley in about 30 minutes. If you eat mostly organic, all of the major grocery stores here carry Organic stuff too.

The only downside I can think of is that the transit system out here isn't as advanced as downtown. The mini buses that service Westwood plateau only run every 30 minutes. But if you're going to be in the Newport village area, you should be fine. Those buses run every 15 minutes or so. Everything in the Newport area is very walkable.

We go downtown a lot on transit and the 160 bus from St.John's street will take you downtown in about 40 minutes. Dh works downtown and he takes the Westcoast Express. Its a great train ride for the kids and gets him (or us) downtown in 20 minutes. Unfortunately it only does 5 runs downtown in the morning, and 5 runs back up here in the late afternoon/evening.

Alright, now I'm just rambling...If you'd like any more info, feel free to PM me.

#570 of 768 Old 06-08-2010, 01:17 PM

Welcome Pippi L. (love the name)

If you are open to townhouse living, would you consider living in far east vancouver? or Burnaby? When I was looking on http://www.realtylink.org not that long ago a 2 bedroom townhouse with yard was $250k.
We also considered a move out to Langley or the Coquitlams, but since we would have to become a 2 car family (and we hardly use 1 car now since transit is so good) it just didn't make financial sense.
Co-op living is another good way to stay in the city and pay out less money each month.
I've fallen in love with Champlain Heights, and am determined to live there. Its so green and forested, and has such a small town feel, while still being in Vancouver. Looking at 2 or 3 bedroom townhouses it's about $350k. They have a huge selection of co-ops as well.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page