Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Blooming Time - Page 23 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#661 of 768 Old 06-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulmom View Post
Tricia... the raw food guru in my life uses and recommends the Excalibur food dehydrator... I am coveting one right now so let me know if you find a deal on one!

I have been making green smoothies in my vitamix that the kids actually like! I tried some new recipes and think I found some good ones... any leftovers I make into freezies!
We do popsicles with leftover smoothies, too. The kids love them.

Someone at Hula Hoot makes fruit leather by pouring leftover smoothie in a very thin layer in a dehydrator (if I recall what she said correctly). It's pretty good.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#662 of 768 Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widemouthedfrog View Post
Hi all - the hipposmile is gone - sorry tooticky!
Oooh, new food processor gadgets. Must ignore this conversation. I love my food processor .

Anyone have a good dehydrator recommendation? Tooticky and I got a fruit share and I'm thinking that I might dehydrate some apples and pears this summer.
Definitely get an Excalibur. We have one and I'd never use anything else. It's pricey but it actually works and is very controllable, unlike cheaper dehydrators.

What food processor do you have and love?

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#663 of 768 Old 06-27-2010, 06:49 PM

And please share green smoothie recipes that work for you guys....I'm always looking for new ones! Right now a favourite juice of mine is kale, wheatgrass, a bit of apple and pineapple. YUM!

If you do end up getting a dehydrator (we got a sears one over a decade ago, no clue what the brand is, but we've used it tonnes for camping food and it's awesome) someone shared their recipe for kale chips that were delicious - she took cashew butter and thinned it with water, brushed it over full leaves of kale, and then stuck them in the dehydrator overnight - yummy:-)

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#664 of 768 Old 06-27-2010, 07:49 PM

I've been coveting a food dehydrator for some time now. I want to make Apple Chips and my own Jerky.

Oh what I wouldn't give for kids who drink smoothies....!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#665 of 768 Old 06-27-2010, 09:04 PM

We are back from camping

We went for 4 nights to Golden Ears...it was quite lovely. It wasn't too bad for rain until packing everything up, and the water was HEAVY...lots of laundry and airing everything out

Lucas was amazing and seems to have leaped some milestones in only 5 days...he seems like a different kid for sure. Cayden and the 4.5 year old we camped with had a blast.

I really liked Alouette, and will go back. Next time we will get a site closer to the beach I hope, as it's quite a walk with all our stuff to the trail head.

Happy Birthday Jenna

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#666 of 768 Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 AM

Does anyone need some canning supplies? A friend of mine is disposing of 2-3 cases (or more) of jars as well as the canning kettle(?).
PM if you are interested & I'll put you in touch. She is in Richmond.

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#667 of 768 Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 PM

I will take them Helen, if they aren't spoken for. I'll PM you as well...

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#668 of 768 Old 06-28-2010, 08:52 PM

I'm kicking myself now for not grabbing a Vita-Mix at Costco. I'm thoroughly unimpressed with what's out there in terms of food processors--after experiencing "planned obsolescence" one time too many with electronics, I really don't trust most products to last beyond their 2- or 3-year warranties. Vitamixes, on the other hand, reportedly last forever.

If anyone sees them around at any other Costcos, let me know!

Astrea, mama to my sweet toddler Willow
#669 of 768 Old 06-29-2010, 12:21 AM

green smoothies... here are some recipes that as Malcolm says look gross but actually taste awesome

yesterday we tried:

2 whole pears 1/2 tin pineapple 1 peeled orange 4 leaves kale 1 cup ice

(ice stops it from getting frothy which isn't very pleasant

this morning was:

2 whole peaches 1 banana 4 leaves kale 1/2 cup orange juice 1 cup ice

tonight we had:

1 apple 1/2 cup frozen (blanched) spinach 1 ripe banana and 1 orange 1/2 cup apple juice and about 1 cup ice

the one I tried that was not a hit (I'll drink it but don't make it again ok Mom?) was:

3 florets broccoli, 3 leaves kale, 2 cups apples juice 1 cup ice...

this week I ordered a green smoothie bin from Ladybug Organics which apparently comes with recipes so I'll let you know if I find any new recipes...

anyone else????

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#670 of 768 Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 AM

I really want the excalibur... I want to make Kale crisps that my friends makes with cashew butter... oh so good!!! but I'm trying to focus on freezing produce for smoothies for now...

#671 of 768 Old 06-29-2010, 12:33 AM

Green smoothies for us include things like weeds, (lambs quarters, nettle (not now though), and chickweed by the handful, and any of these: almond or mango dessert tofu, unsweetened, plain, non-gelatinized yougurt, protein powder, hemp hearts, 1/2-1 cup nettle infusion (1/2 dried nettle steeped 12 hours in a quart jar), a banana, kale, spinach, lettuces from the garden (a whole variety), arugula, cress, frozen berries, fish oil. I never follow a recipe, just balance sweet with bitter so the boys will drink them. Sweet comes from the tofu or fruit or both. They never last here, but we love all of what goes in so it's easy.

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#672 of 768 Old 06-30-2010, 03:13 PM

So I went out to Krause berry farms out in Langley yesterday. Picked 23lbs of strawberries. ($1.50/lb if anyone is wondering). Their raspberries will be available next week so I think I'll be going back for some of those.

Made one batch of jam yesterday but ran out of pectin. I'll probably make another batch or two today, with the rest being put in the freezer.

I'd love to get into the whole food dehydrating thing and I have seen some machines at Value Village, but they're all so huge! I don't have space to store it. I think Dh would freak out on me too as he thinks the canning thing is the limit. Nevermind that he and the kids eat all the jam...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#673 of 768 Old 06-30-2010, 07:16 PM

I;d but one of those dehydrators from VV, but what should I look for? How do I know if it works or has all the parts? ANy brands I should keep my eye out for? I've never dehydrated before, but I'm VERY keen

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#674 of 768 Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 PM

Awesome, I love new ideas for getting healthy things into the kids! My kids actually love drinking herbs cold (ie my infusion of things like nettles and red clover and raspberry leaf and others) so I try to bring that along with me most days. Kea hates eating plain avocado and lately I've been wanting to round out her nutrition (just because I always have to 'worry' about something, she always strikes me as really thin, and she doesn't eat a lot of whole fat foods so I'm always trying to figure out ways to get them in her!) so I made chocolate milkshakes the other day which were a huge hit, and great as popsicles too!!!! Hemp hearts, coconut oil, avocado, ice cream, almond milk, raw cocoa, frozen strawberries - we didn't have kale or spinach, but I'm sure that would have easily been disguised in that! Mariah, perhaps your kids would like milkshakes?!!!!!!

As for dehydrators, you can always plug appliances in at Value Village to see if they work. I think we paid $40 for our very simple one (years ago, though) from Sears and it works awesome. You can also use a very low setting on your oven.

We have a building permit! And a well and a septic field, a driveway and a leveled lot! Yay! On Monday we start the foundation, pouring concrete on Tuesday.....FINALLY, here we go:-)

Happy Canada Day to everyone

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#675 of 768 Old 07-01-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner&tiegs View Post
We have a building permit! And a well and a septic field, a driveway and a leveled lot! Yay! On Monday we start the foundation, pouring concrete on Tuesday.....FINALLY, here we go
Woo Hoo! That's fantastic news!! Can't wait to read all about it on your blog...

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#676 of 768 Old 07-01-2010, 03:57 AM

Woo Hoo Too, Erica!

I always wonder about dehydrators. We had one of those American Harvest ones (or whatever they are at London Drugs), but I found it took forever and it was noisy and it seemed to run too hot, so it made most of the things we tried taste weird because they were somewhat cooked as well as dried. I think I was going to sell it to someone on here, but now I can't remember if I did that or if I sold it at our garage sale...

I'd love to get something like a Vitamix, as we use our blender a fair bit, and it's sort of broken down - it used to have "10 speeds", but now it only seems to have 2: loud and louder. But now that we have our Magic Bullet and an Immersion Blender (finally), I think that takes care of our needs, since we only make smoothies and blended soups. I also just can't justify spending that much on a small appliance. That's more than I'm planning to spend on a dishwasher, which I will use a lot more. (Though I realize many of you do use your blenders very regularly.)

Loving the healthy food ideas. We do a lot of "green soup" = veggies (carrot, celery, onion, rutabaga, etc) cooked in broth until soft, add spinach (or broccolli, but spinach tastes better) and cook a few more minutes, then blend. Calvin snarfs it. Also made a split mung bean soup a few weeks ago that was delicious - same recipe as for split pea soup, but we were out of those, so I subbed the split mung beans and threw in some kombu for good measure.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#677 of 768 Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM

Erica, that is great progress. I imagine you may be feeling soooo excited, busy, overwhelmed, all at once! It sounds like you are really thinking things through well, and how great to have such a creative builder in your family (your DH)

You guys will have a homestead that will be so beautiful and well laid out. When you get to the time you'll be adding chickens, I'd love to contribute all that we've learned. Let me know...wayyyy down the road even!

Currently, I am monitering one of our hens, Blueberry, as she may have either sour crop (where the food isn't moving from the crop to the rest of the digestive tract) or impacted crop (where some long pieces of grass or other bits that can't break down are tangled in a mass and can't pass through). Either way, her breast looks like there's a giant sock stuffed into it. It can be fatal if not addressed, so I need to determine which it is and proceed. Poor girl. I am so thankful for backyardchickens.com for info, otherwise I don't know how we would have lasted this past year with chickens. There is a surprising amount to learn about these critters, but so easy when there's good people sharing what they know close at hand!

Kombu! Now there's something I would like to use. Do you put it in last, Lori?

I'm doing everything I can think of to increase my energy and heal my adrenal glands (Celtic sea salt, nettle infusion 3-4 X week, mineral rich plants/greens), and I 've heard that Kombu (and all seaweeds) are great for trace minerals.

Do you buy it packaged? I've always wondered which seaweeeds you can forage for, except around here, I think everything would be too toxic....?

Off to get our next 40 lbs of strawberries today! (Yes, our NEXT 40 lbs...the first 40 were consumed in three days! We are strawberry gluttons, it's almost an affliction ;-))

#678 of 768 Old 07-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Congrats, Erica - that's so exciting!
And here I am feeling overwhelmed re-doing our laundry room .

Lori - I checked out that rice bread recipe, but it calls for a food processor, which I don't have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
I'm doing everything I can think of to increase my energy and heal my adrenal glands (Celtic sea salt, nettle infusion 3-4 X week, mineral rich plants/greens), and I 've heard that Kombu (and all seaweeds) are great for trace minerals.
Have you heard of The Ultramind Solution by Mark Hyman, MD? He goes through 7 Keys to Ultrawellness (nutrition, hormones, inflammation, digestion, detox, metabolism, relaxation) with great quizzes to see where you are deficient or overloaded and really explains well how everything works & is interconnected.

I am almost finished reading it and am thinking about doing the six week program as soon as I can get my head around giving up gluten, dairy & sugar for that long !

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#679 of 768 Old 07-01-2010, 02:50 PM

erica, that's so exciting!! I haven't visited your blog in a while, I'll have to see what's what!

we're currently staying at a friend's house in san carlos, CA (just south of san francisco) while they are away in hawaii. having a house to ourselves is bliss! this is the area we're hoping to settle in for a while (or forever if we love it) so we've been driving around, getting the lay of the land. really hoping that mark finds work here in the bay area somewhere, it will be much nicer to be here, close to family and friends, rather than elsewhere in the US. The job market here is tough, though, and housing is expensive, so it's a little uncertain... on the other hand, several studios have moved into vancouver, and mark has had a few job offers there, so if he absolutely can't find anything in california, and we get tired of being on different continents, he might have to take a job in vancouver and we'd either live somewhere nearby, but across the US border, and he would commute, until the adoption is finalized and we could live in canada... but we're hoping for Plan A, which is our whole family living in one house in california, with a small commute for mark.

we got a small update about the kids, from a missions team that was visiting their orphanage. we are told (again) that our little guy is quiet and curious, with a great smile, and that our baby girl is a baby who cried when they tried to measure her feet.... yes, I was hoping for a little bit more, but I'll take foot measurements if that's all they have for us! they did take photos, and will send them when they get back from Uganda in a few days -- I can't wait!!! really, really hoping they got one of our little boy with something else in the photo so we can tell how big/old he is... more good news is that there are 15 pending adoptions from their orphanage, which is so good to hear, I thought we were the only ones!!! We are planning to go as soon as court reopens, in late august/early september. yes, the wait is killing me, and trying to coordinate everything going on in our lives is crazy-making. really hoping the timing works out well, though... we shall see!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#680 of 768 Old 07-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
Kombu! Now there's something I would like to use. Do you put it in last, Lori?
I use it like you would bay leaves - put it in at the beginning to add flavour and minerals. The main reason is that it's supposed to reduce the gas-inducing properties of beans. You could eat it after that, but I'm not fond of the texture. Emily uses it to make traditional Japanese broths, too. Sometimes with dried Shitake mushrooms, sometimes by itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
Lori - I checked out that rice bread recipe, but it calls for a food processor, which I don't have.
Oh, I just use my hand mixer with the bread mixing hooks (corscrew shapes - they came with the hand mixer). You could use the usual beaters on low, since the dough is quite thin - like banana bread. The main secret is to follow the instructions to the letter, in terms of warming the bowl, taking the rack out while you heat the oven, etc.

Does anyone here know the difference between Engedura yeast and the usual (Bakipan, etc) stuff? Other than the smell... I find the Engedura works well, but the smell is so strong that I put in 1/4 Engedura and 3/4 regular.

#681 of 768 Old 07-07-2010, 04:15 PM

Does anyone know what happened to Beginagins consignment shop?

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#682 of 768 Old 07-07-2010, 06:58 PM

there are vita mixes at the Costco by the new Pitt bridge... they are there till the 12 of july i think

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#683 of 768 Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 PM

we got new photos of our babies today. beautiful to see them, sad to see them growing so much in photos without us there! can't wait to snuggle them!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#684 of 768 Old 07-08-2010, 01:15 AM

Oh, I can only begin to imagine your joy! So wonderful. I love hearing good news!!

#685 of 768 Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM

If anyone is interested, I have a pony booked for an hour at Maplewood Farm at 11:20 this Saturday. You do need to pay to get into the farm, but the ride's on me. Just PM me and let me know if you are interested. Of course, spots are somewhat limited. I think that children need to be age 3+ to ride, and it's a short ride around the pond.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#686 of 768 Old 07-10-2010, 04:25 AM

I need some ideas for helping Cassidy...
he got a gigantic cut on Thursday morning while he was taking out the garbage (of all things!) and needed 23 stitches to sew it up! it was quite deep and whatever sliced him in the garbage may not have been clean... anyway we were at the dr within 1/2 hour of the injury... today it looked quite red by the end of the day and then he started running a fever this was about 30 hours since the injury... so I went back to the dr and they gave him antibiotic and antibiotic cream... the dr said if it gets much worse or is not getting better within 48 hours I need to go to the ER to get IV antibiotics... I am giving him traumeel and emergen-C but feel like I should do more to boost his immunity and kill the infection... any ideas??? would oil of oregano help (I use it more virus stuff usually not bacteria...) ? I really don't want this to get any worse...

#687 of 768 Old 07-10-2010, 10:52 AM

Oh dear, Jen!
I use tea tree oil for infections as well - actually, I use it for many, many things. High blood sugar makes it harder to heal and easier to get yeast and bladder infections, so I often use it as a preventative. It does burn when applied to the skin, and you'd need to look into its safety on wounds ... I've never used it on a wound before, just other infections.

I know it's more common as an antifungal, but it's powerful stuff.

Sending you good wishes.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#688 of 768 Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM

You could also wash the wound with Hibitane or some other such solution. I just had to do this for our cat, who got in a fight and had a small puncture wound on his tail!

#689 of 768 Old 07-10-2010, 04:45 PM

Jen - did they draw a pen line at the margins of the infected area? That's the best way to see if it's getting better or worse.

You could put the tea tree oil onto the surrounding skin and not directly on the wound. I don't know about the safety of using it directly on the wound. Anything that stings may interfere with whatever immune and clotting reactions are going on (that's why they no longer recommend cleaning wounds with alcohol or hydrogen peroxide). I also second washing it with hibitane (chlorhexidine cleanser).

One of the problems with the bacteria that infect wounds like this, is that they sort of build a wall to protect themselves from your immune system (and antibiotics) - that's why these infections are so serious. IV antibiotics will overwhelm that defence wall, and that's why they're used. Emily got cellulitis (infection of the tissues just under the skin) last year from a blister. And she felt really crummy and it hurt, and it seemed to be spreading, so I brought her in to the ER. She got IV antibiotics (we had to go back twice a day) for about 5 days before they decided it was ok to switch to oral. And the area where the cellulitis happened still isn't quite right.

Good luck!

#690 of 768 Old 07-11-2010, 04:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and support... I have had him on bedrest for two days now and I think it looks better... def not so red and the red streaks are gone and so is his fever... it has started bleeding a little bit... does anyone know if that is normal? looks like healthy red blood with no pus... I don't think he knocked it or anything because he's been in bed...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page