Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Blooming Time - Page 26 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#751 of 768 Old 08-25-2010, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Earrings: I suggested my dd wait until she was old enough to decide and well aware of the discomfort (albeit momentary) and care required. She pleaded for an entire year and we decided at 8yo to have it done. We went to "Claires". I found the staff on hand that day to be moderately educated. I did have them re-do the guide dots to make sure they were even. I would say they are pretty good in terms of even-ness
However...despite all, she never even wears earrings anymore! I guess it was just a fad
She claims that her earrings snag when she's building forts with her playsilks...

Good luck on your decision!

wife & mum to 9yo dd, 7yo ds1 & 5yo ds2 and our rescue dog Roger!
#752 of 768 Old 08-27-2010, 01:12 AM

Hello all!

Just checking in to see how you're all doing. We're living on the property now, with no internet at all (heck, no electricity, water, phone, anything - but I have to say, it's the internet I'm missing the most!) so I check in when I can. Right now we're staying in a hotel for a couple of nights in Montreal, enjoying the luxuries of civilization! The house is being framed this week, so exciting! In the next week or two the roof will be put up, windows in, and then the straw baling will start mid-september, followed by natural clay plaster - so neat to see it all happening! And you can well imagine how much I'm going to love the day it's all 'done' and I at least have a washer and drier, a dishwasher, a shower.....wow!!!!

Re: ear piercings, Kea got hers done at Claire's as well. She had more issues with infections, but that had a lot to do with the type of metal - as long as she kept the earrings that she got pierced with in, she was fine, the cheaper earrings over time caused infection. A solution was to wear cheap earrings for a day, then at the end of the day change back to the good earrings. And the cleaning solution they provided was good as well. As for when, basically when she nagged us enough to convince us she really really really did want it! Interestingly enough, her younger sister is about the same age, and looks at me like I'm crazy for wondering if she wants to shoot holes into her body!!!!!!! At five, I imagine it wouldn't be a huge issue if they were happy to keep the same earrings in (and maintainance could easily be added to teeth-brushing routine), but if earrings were being constantly changed I think it would be a hassle. Really depends so much on the child!

Hope you're all enjoying the last weeks of summer! xoxo

Living life as fully as we can, with our three fellow adventure-seekers ~ K (2000), T (2003) and R (2007).  
#753 of 768 Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi, lovely mamas. I live in Kits, and while I'm not yet a mama, I'm aching to be around some women. I'm also fighting off the biological "I need to make babies NOW" demand, so I hope that being around children will ease that (like in Herland!).
I spend my time crafting leather shoes, sewing clothing, spinning, knitting, and prancing about outside. I'm 25 and married.
Are there any crunchy mamas out there who would like to meet?

Hugs and happiness to everyone!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#754 of 768 Old 08-30-2010, 11:44 PM

Welcome Azadehhast!

I'm a crafter too. I spin (on an Ashford Joy), sew, knit and cardweave on an Inkle loom. How do you make your leather shoes? Are they for indoor or outdoor use? That would be neat to learn!

I'd love to meet up but I'm out in Port Moody which is pretty far from Kits...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#755 of 768 Old 09-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Hi Ellp!
What fun we could have doing fibery things together! If you ever come into my area, let me know!
My shoes have rubber soles and can be worn anywhere. I love them, and I have such bursting pride when I walk down the street and realize I've made absolutely everything I'm wearing! Yay!
At www.honeysuckleandthyme.com, there's more info about the shoes. I could definitely teach you to make some, if you're interested!

Maker-mama, joyously loving my boy, Winter Rhys, born 12/2011, and our twins, Wren and Forest, born 4/2014.
#756 of 768 Old 09-01-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post
I have such bursting pride when I walk down the street and realize I've made absolutely everything I'm wearing! ]
I can only imagine how that feels ) I got a sewing machine for my birthday and started on two projects for DD - both were unsuccessful to say the least )) I am still holding on to a dream that with fall I will suddenly have more time and inspiration.

Ellaine, I might need your advise on making a slip cover for my soon coming SV KP... I am still hoping to get the owls that I want, but the next pre-order is tomorrow and I have no FB access from work, so chances are next to nil. Then slip-cover will be the next option

Vira, mom to Sophia (06/08) and step-mom to Vlad (09/98)
#757 of 768 Old 09-01-2010, 02:38 PM

Azadehhast
I grew up in Kitsilano. What a great website, very inspiring!

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#758 of 768 Old 09-01-2010, 02:44 PM

elcome Azadehhast

I am SO not a talented sewer/seamstress/knitter/make-of-things
Ya'll are very inspiring

wife & mum to 9yo dd, 7yo ds1 & 5yo ds2 and our rescue dog Roger!
#759 of 768 Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 PM

Hi everyone,

I've been half heartedly following along the thread recently, but haven't had a lot to add.

Welcome Azadehhast! The shoes on your site look amazing! I am also terribly lacking in these types of skills, so am in awe.

I know there has been a lot discussion in the past about healing teeth naturally and alternative treatments with CLO, raw milk, grass fed meats, etc. I posted a thread in the dental health forum, and if people here have anything to add, especially about ozone treatments, I'd be interested: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...8#post15797688 Thanks.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#760 of 768 Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM

Thanks everyone!

The idea of teeth healing themselves is so beautiful to me. Teeth are basically bones outside the skin, and we know bones can heal, so why not teeth? I can attest to this myself: I was in a situation where I knew I could have absolutely no dental care for a year, and I discovered a cavity in my tooth, and basically freaked out. I got really careful, and brushed every time I ate anything, and ate as well as I could (although the food on offer was really awful, health-wise), and the cavity actually went away!

Our bodies are utterly amazing.

#761 of 768 Old 09-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Len

Welcome to the Vancouver tribe, Azadehhast!

Is anyone interested in sharing a Science World membership with me? The cost for family is $140 and it's for 2 adults and 4 kids. I am one adult with 1 1/2 kid! (DH never goes and the little one is not yet 4 but soon will be)

So we could split the cost and add-on an adult or another child, and it's still cheaper than paying full.

Let me know if you are interested!
#762 of 768 Old 09-05-2010, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
Welcome to the Vancouver tribe, Azadehhast!

Is anyone interested in sharing a Science World membership with me? The cost for family is $140 and it's for 2 adults and 4 kids. I am one adult with 1 1/2 kid! (DH never goes and the little one is not yet 4 but soon will be)

So we could split the cost and add-on an adult or another child, and it's still cheaper than paying full.

Let me know if you are interested!
Yes, I'm interested for the kids and me. I tried to PM you, but your box is full, I think.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#763 of 768 Old 09-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison's Mom View Post
Yes, I'm interested for the kids and me. I tried to PM you, but your box is full, I think.
Thanks, I'll PM you
#764 of 768 Old 09-05-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azadehhast View Post
My shoes have rubber soles and can be worn anywhere. I love them, and I have such bursting pride when I walk down the street and realize I've made absolutely everything I'm wearing! Yay!
That would be an amazing feeling. I'm completely textile challenged, and am in awe of people who can sew, knit, crochet, etc. Shoemaking just leaves me with my mouth hanging open!

I love your shoes...beautiful.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#765 of 768 Old 09-06-2010, 06:19 PM

hey vancouver tribe, guess what?!?! we're moving back, sort of! mark will be working in vancouver, but to finalize the adoption we have to live in the
US, so we've been checking out blaine, WA, and found a gorgeous house in a cute neighborhood, with foresty trails and the ocean all around us, and we're trying to buy it! never thought we'd be able to buy a house, so we're pretty excited!! can't wait to see ya'll again!!

also looking at a likely court date in october -- actually really likely this time, everything is going smoothly there, hoping for second half of october!!

lots of this today!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#766 of 768 Old 09-06-2010, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
that's some pretty cool news Tiffani!

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#767 of 768 Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
lots of this today!
Have some more!

That is awesome!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#768 of 768 Old 09-06-2010, 11:34 PM

Wow, Tiffani, that sounds great on all counts. Except maybe your DH's commute, but it couldn't be worse than it was from Bowen Island. Hooray!

Ok, it's really time for a new thread...
And here it is:
Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Colourful leaves and tangible mists begin to Fall

c'mon over!

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page