Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Blooming Time - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anbody reccomend a place on Hornby Island? We're planning a week-long trip at the end of March and I'm looking for a nice cottage near the beach that is child friendly. Also, it kinda looks like Hornby shuts down for the winter. I'm wondering if there will be any restaurants open at that time?

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 04:27 PM

ally, I would be very careful with fillings for a little guy -- dex had one done at 3, and it was really hard for the dentist to do a good, thorough job on a kid who can't sit still and keep his tongue out of the way, and when the filling fell out a year or so later, the tooth had just been rotting away under there, so was in far worse shape than before. If they can't get all the decay out, and then they put a filling in, it's bad news.

If you are going to go the drill and fill route, I'd almost suggest GA for a kid that young, but the thing that DevaMajka was talking about sounds good -- flowmom found a good dentist that did something other than just drill and fill, pm her.

We really liked a dentist in squamish (she had been in burnaby before, but was so awesome we went all the way to squamish to see her -- this was when we lived on bowen, so it probably took the same amount of time in the car as to go all the way downtown) but I can't remember her name... she was really, really good with dex, though. I can find out if you need, but honestly I'd try an alternative to fillings if you can.

good luck, dental issues with little ones is SO HARD!!!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#63 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
good luck, dental issues with little ones is SO HARD!!!!
indeed!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#64 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 04:31 PM

cross posted diane! no real advice on cottages, but I think there should be restaurants open with really limited hours. I think we went in march one time, but I don't remember going to any restaurants that visit...

have fun! I love hornby!!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#65 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
If you are going to go the drill and fill route, I'd almost suggest GA for a kid that young, but the thing that DevaMajka was talking about sounds good -- flowmom found a good dentist that did something other than just drill and fill, pm her.
That was a dentist that does HealOzone - they are in North Delta. I'd try them out if it was my kid. So far so good for us though, so we'll stick to the new guy that I like near my work in Poco.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#66 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
That was a dentist that does HealOzone - they are in North Delta. I'd try them out if it was my kid. So far so good for us though, so we'll stick to the new guy that I like near my work in Poco.
they are actually in Tsawwassen, but the phone number throws people off! We love them. They are quick, professional, they are open to alternative ideas about oral health, didn't slam extended BF'ing at all, and really enjoy kids. I think they hire people according to their affinity with kids.

My youngest had 2 cavities filled at 3, and it was a breeze, a little freezing on one only. My oldest had no freezing on 3 cavities.

I would call them and run it by them, see what you think. They are spendy, but the quality of care and my boys' comfort with their dentist makes it worth it to me. Their rates are higher than the dental average, but if your plan is a good one, you won't spend too much, for fillings I think. Dr Kler is magical with kids. When he talked to me, I didn't even know I was getting needles for work I had done!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#67 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 07:25 PM

wow, i have to say i'm a bit shocked how many of us have had very small children with dental caries! is this representative of the greater population? is anyone talking about this? sounds pretty epidemic!!

piglet, more envy. only we had the most wonderful day with homelearners at our park, gorgeous spring day, hopscotch, jump rope of all kinds (we're all still learning how to do double-dutch) wheeling around, ball games, jacks! we got a little log for our mason bee house, and i finished the girls aprons so we baked, and we did some sewing, doll clothes...i feel like life here has settled in a great way and i'm so happy for spring. like autumn mama, i know this is temporary, but i'm not sure for how long, because it is right, right now!

#68 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Oh the dental pains... I posted long long time ago about xyletol and you guys recommended trying MI Paste and that's what I continue using with DD. It didn't work well enough and her tooth went from having yellow demineralized spots to actually breaking. Her dentist practically said there's nothing she can do until DD is 3 and her front tooth is half gone by now. I wold still like them to do a filling when DD is older, because I don't want her to lose that tooth completely even before starting pre-K, but we'll see...

Vira, mom to Sophia (06/08) and step-mom to Vlad (09/98)
#69 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 PM

giraffee, you could always get a second opinion, if you think something else could be done. I feel that we should be able to trust our instincts and be able to tell the dentists and (doctors too) what we think... and I notice it can be hard with some dentists and doctors as we've been hearing from the allergy-help-seekers!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#70 of 768 Old 03-02-2010, 09:48 PM

Erin, I'm not sure DD is ready to have something done. She fights me every day when I try to brush hee teeth, and I cannot imagine the screaming that would ensue when a doctor would put that filling in. For that matter I'm not sure if there can be a filling since it is right on the edge of the tooth - so I suppose I will get a second opinion once I feel DD can hadle it without major stress for her. I noted the addresses of the dentists mentioned above and might try those guys is summer, once she's at least 2 yo. For now, I'll just stick to MI Paste and xyletol :/

As for the allergologists, my physician answered me very simply - okay, they will test DD, they'll tell me that she is allegic to x,y,z and to give her antihistamine if she has a reaction that lasts longer than usual or if she is clearly uncomfortable. Since so far she's only a minor rash on her tummy I decided that it's not worth the trouble. However, I myself am allergic to dust (8 types of dust - who knew there even are that many) and cats, and knowing that hasn't helped me much - I still go to the library and even attend meet-ups where owners keep cats (though only once I had to take a pill when there were 3 cats, not just one)
My mom is allergic to strawberries (and cats) but she still eats them (strawberries, not cats). And she even attempts to adopt a cat every 5-6 years in hopes that her allergy has magically disappeared. I guess we are lucky to have allergies that do not affect our lives on daily basis.

#71 of 768 Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 AM

re: Dr. Patton
Looks like Dr. Patton has changed his ways because he was my (and my sister's) pediatric dentist 10-15 years ago and he was...strange. As a kid I really liked his neat office (trike merry go round thing, video games, cool fish tanks) and he seemed nice. Looking back on my child memories as an adult, I think there was more than meets he eye. Yes he has a cool office with neat toys and he was nice enough but that doesn't make some things I remember ok. There was just something eery going on and I just called my sister to chat and mentioned Dr.Patton and she agreed. Mind you, this was back in the 90's so looks like he's changed his ways which is good. Thinking back I remember the "coolness" of it but then remember the weirdness and can't quite put my finger on what it is. I feel it's not the dental anxiety but something else.
I remember him (or the hygenist I can't recall) holding me down after I asked for them to stop because I wasn't fully frozen. (As an adult I had two dentists need to use a different med to freeze me because the most common one used isn't effective on me as it sould be). After being totally turned off dentists for a looong time I saw a dentist as an adult to remove all the silver fillings that were put in by. Dr.Patton and it was mentioned to me that one was incorrectly done. Not sure of the specifics cause I didn't bother to ask (I just wanted to go home!) but take my experience with a grain of salt because like I said this was a long time ago.
I saw Dr. Serge Agafonstev for a while (he is still my husbands dentist) and his office is very "holistic". They use things like bee propolis and oragano oil and thier teeth cleaning machine (they never scraped my or my husbands teeth) is fantastic. Thier x-ray machine uses way less radiaton and overall thier office is good with great hygenists. the reason I left him is because i need a dentist that is...a little more catering to the dental anxiety patients.
I know from my own experiences as a child how scary a dental visit can be and finding someone you and your child can trust is SO important.

Loving mama to M. 09/2007 and K. 10/2009. Married to my soul mate :
#72 of 768 Old 03-03-2010, 02:54 AM

Oh dear orangatan, that doesn't sound very pleasant at all... Sorry you had such a bad experience. I am now eerie about that office :S Well, I'm sure something will present itself when the time is right.

#73 of 768 Old 03-03-2010, 03:29 AM

Vancouver Mommy,
"Can anbody reccomend a place on Hornby Island? We're planning a week-long trip at the end of March and I'm looking for a nice cottage near the beach that is child friendly. Also, it kinda looks like Hornby shuts down for the winter. I'm wondering if there will be any restaurants open at that time?"

One of our community members lived there so I asked her:

Greetings,
A friend of mine posted this on our chat group, thought you might be someone to ask. Any ideas I could send her way?
Thanks a bunch, Janet

have them go to hornbyisland.net

Most accomodation available will be listed (some is year around)
The closer to the beach, the more expensive.
Not sure about dining...it is shut down pretty much, but any of
the folks that are offering rentals will know.

Not much but I hope it helps. We still haven't been over there. It is tops of my list this summer.
Have fun!
Janet

Janet is life learning and loving life with: Devin (10/02) :nana and The Littles through Marty (04/06) and Skye (05/08)
#74 of 768 Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 AM

Tiffani and Janet - thanks for the Hornby info. I think we may just do Saltspring instead - direct ferry from Vancouver makes the trip a lot simpler.

#75 of 768 Old 03-04-2010, 02:59 AM

Oh, saltspring!!

You could stay here at Michael Ableman's farm retreat at Foxglove Farm...I would love to stay here and learn some day...he is phenominal and a great visionary and writer, farmer and photographer and....

#76 of 768 Old 03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Len

Autumn, thanks for the "soil" information. I should give them a call soon. And I'll definitely look into the old gardening thread, I have TONS of questions ;-)

Ally, for dentist we are using Dr. Joyce in West Van, next to Park Royal. He was referred by musicmommy and I think someone else also goes there. He is very friendly, listens well and I feel is very honest and reasonably priced. DS1 likes him a lot. Mateo hasn't been to the dentist yet, his teeth look good and I should take him soon, but he is horrible with doctors, despite nobody having done any damage (i.e. needles) to him, and he is really afraid, so we'll see. Like Artparent, I wonder why a lot of kids from this thread have cavities from very young, seems like we all follow low sugar diets and good toothbrushing.... it would be worth some research!

I was going to say something else but I forgot now. Reading through pages of posts wanting to remember everything is tough!
#77 of 768 Old 03-04-2010, 01:39 PM

We see Glen Joyce too. He doesn't do GA though, so when ds1 had to have his infant caries dealt with we went to the Oakride place Tiffani mentioned.

That reminds me to get ds2's teeth checked out. They look fine to me, but this is the age we noticed the problems with ds1 (11 months) We've done a couple things differently with ds2, so I'm hoping his teeth won't have the same problems (vit D and flouride and 2 good brushings daily)

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#78 of 768 Old 03-04-2010, 07:15 PM

I was going to say I think the avoidance of flouride is probably a contributing factor to higher caries rates. we started flouride toothpaste once it was obvious that our kids are very prone to cavities and they could spit it out, but they never had any drops or pills or flouride toothpaste until they already had lots of cavities. I never had any cavities my entire life until I had been using flouride-free toothpaste for a while.

I'm not saying that flouride might not cause other health problems, especially in larger doses, but I do think it prevents cavities -- don't know that I would have done anything differently though, as those cavity-free teeth might have come at the expense of other health issues, and who knows if they would have been cavity free anyway...

#79 of 768 Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 PM

I've read that biggest contributor to tooth caries is the introduction of specific bacteria into the child's mouth. As far as I know, if an adult 'shares spit' with a child, those bacteria can transfer. So prechewing food, 'cleaning' pacifiers by licking them off, sharing spoons or cups - all of these will let the bacteria colonize in your child's mouth. We have been very lucky with our kids' teeth so far. None of them have had any issues - despite dh and I both having multiple cavities as children. I can only put it down to the fact that we have always been pretty vigilant about the 'no sharing spit' rule. Or we could just be really lucky
#80 of 768 Old 03-04-2010, 10:04 PM

I agree, robug, that that's the #1 biggest factor. genetics again! I don't think this group is any different than many others in terms of caries rates, and I don't think it's a new epidemic either -- I think that a lot of people of our parents generation would ignore caries in baby teeth, or if it was painful, they'd just have it pulled.

Robug did you guys do any flouride treatments/supplements?

#81 of 768 Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 PM

For flouride we did a mixed approach. One supervised brushing a day with flouride, one without. Dentists visits after age 3 every six months with flouride once per year. That's it. Because Vancouver's water isn't flouridated I wasn't overly worried about the kids getting too much.
#82 of 768 Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 AM

I think genetics plays a huge role. I got my first cavity in my forties (and I'm only 42!) and so far my kids don't have any despite pretty lax brushing habits 'round here.

DH and I did our first bit of "working the land" today. It was so much fun! He got a chainsaw and started hacking away and I pulled the brush out and piled it over the fire pit...in less than 2 hours we managed to clear a pretty decent sized swath (though miniscule compared to what we have left to do!).

We also got a trampoline for the kids which I put together myself yesterday. It's been a great source of exercise for them. It also attracted the neighbour's grandson who is the same age as DD and seems to be a good fit for the kids. The family is very nice and it's great that they have a friend in the neighbourhood.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#83 of 768 Old 03-05-2010, 02:13 AM

Wow, this dentist conversation is timely as my two kiddos just went to the dentist yesterday. No cavities or other issues in either of them. We don't do anything out of the ordinary, just regular "kids" toothpaste with flouride, usually brushing once a day (twice if I remember). We do regulate the amount of sugars the kids get, and candy only on special occasions. Dh and I both have a mouthful of fillings so I don't know about the genetics part.: Oh, and we freely share cups, cutlery, food...

Thanks for the tip on Foxglove farm! I'm planning our Saltspring vacation for this year and unfortunately the place we thought was perfect isn't taking any reservations this year. The place we stayed at last year was nice but it was really crowded and not very private. Any other suggestions for family friendly places?

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#84 of 768 Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 AM

I'm always shocked at the dentist when my kids don't have caries. I still nurse my (almost) 3yo several times a night and all the hype, as well as the experiences of other moms on this site have me scared. We brush twice a day with flouride paste, floss nightly as soon as back teeth are touching and try to stay away from candy and dried "fruit" snacks. But I'm still a ball of nerves whenever I sit in the waiting room at the dentist.

#85 of 768 Old 03-05-2010, 03:39 AM

It's been a couple of years since I was last there, but we are hoping to get to Ruckle Prov Park on Saltspring. Check out the photo gallery on the linked page if you're on the fence or uncertain!

It is technically a cycling campsite, but has some walk-in sites, where you can park at the head of the trail and walk your stuff in. It is a very sweet place. Dh and I cycled there a few times sans kids, back in the old days ;-)

To be honest, anything or anywhere "Gulf Island" makes my heart sing!

On the dental front, we shared food, spoons, cups, mouths etc. DH and I have had dental "issues" and yes, if your kids get the flora into their mouths before building up their own healthy population, I've understood there can be resulting problems or caries. I think there must be more to it, though, especially after reading everyone's posts about how you're doing things...we've all done things differently and in some cases developed caries, and in some, not . Heredity must be a significant factor, and the modern day crappola we eat, as well as the lack of enzymes or probiotics or something that should counter balance the crummy nutrient-void foods.

#86 of 768 Old 03-05-2010, 04:47 AM

Just popping in hoping that someone here can help a friend of mine. She is having a lot of undiagnosable (by the medical establishment) health issues & isn't absorbing nutrients very well. (She is looking at alternative health practitioners now).

Anyway, she was buying a liquid supplement that seemed to be helping, but her local health food store is no longer stocking it & says it isn't available in Canada any more.

Can anyone recommend a place she could purchase it online from the States? She is leery of ordering from just any site she finds on her own.
I believe this is the product from the name she gave me: "Life Basics Whole Foods Multivitamin supplement"

TIA

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#87 of 768 Old 03-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Yup, it would be great to go camping on Saltspring but unforunately my back issues doesn't allow for me to sleep on anything less than a bed.

There used to be a great youth hostel on Saltspring. They had actual treehouses (including a family one) and teepees that you could sleep in. I don't think they're in business anymore though.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#88 of 768 Old 03-06-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
To be honest, anything or anywhere "Gulf Island" makes my heart sing!
I really should try some Gulf Island camping. But, my stepdad has a cottage on Taylor Bay on Gabriola. As much as I love camping, the lure of a free vacation (no room rates, camping fees, etc.) tends to suck me in.

Teeth. We usually only brush once a day here (I used to be so much better), with no-fluoride toothpaste. DD1 has never had a hint of a cavity. DS2 might be developing one, although it's not bother him, if he is. DS1 had two or three as a kid.

My ex (father of ds1) had terrible teeth (he has less than half of them left, as far as I can tell looking at him).
I think I had reasonably strong teeth...but not strong enough for the massive amounts of sugar I've consumed in my life. I have a mouthful of amalgam.
DH (father of dd1 and ds2) has perfect teeth. His dental hygiene is nowhere as good as mine has been most of my life, but he has perfect teeth.

So, I think genes are a huge factor.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#89 of 768 Old 03-06-2010, 10:05 PM

I too think teeth caries are hugely genetic. Dh brushes once a day, no flossing, never has a cavity. I brush and floss twice a day at least and I have issues all.the.time. So not fair.
DD has had a check up and our dentist was impressed with how clean and healthy her teeth look. We brush her teeth once daily with non flouride toothpaste and an electric toothbrush. And she still nurses at night and eats dried fruit but no candy. We try to brush twice daily, once we do it, once she does it but with a *newer* baby we often forget. Sigh.
Once she is a little older and going in for regular cleanings and such I think we will do flouride once a year if needed/recommeded. We'll cross that bridge when we get there, but that's the idea anyhow.

Loving mama to M. 09/2007 and K. 10/2009. Married to my soul mate :
#90 of 768 Old 03-08-2010, 03:02 PM

it's a snowy sunny day. Weird. :

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page