#1 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Spring is when life's alive in everything."
-- Christina Rossetti

Welcome Lower Mainland Mamas!
(and Mamas to Be)

All local mamas are welcome here! Visitors are welcome to pop in too. We are brought together by our passion for conscious/thoughtful/attachment/respectful/wholistic/natural parenting, not always agreeing on the path but agreeing to respectfully discuss, share, and learn together. Feel free to join in the conversation and introduce yourself!

This is our thread for chatting online, discussing issues relevant to the Lower Mainland, and arranging meetings in real life. If you have issues and questions that are not specific to the Vancouver area, please start a new thread in the appropriate MDC forum (e.g. breastfeeding, discipline, health, etc.). You can also post a link to your topic in this thread if you are requesting input from your tribe members. This allows us to
1. adhere to MDC guidelines;
2. keep questions and responses organized; and
3. reduce thread traffic and allow readers more control over which discussions they engage in.

Meet-ups are sporadic and include gatherings at parks, Science World, and people's homes. Anyone is welcome to suggest a gathering time/place. Meet-ups are either announced in the meet-up thread in the Canada Forum or here.

Remember that to get email notification of new posts in this thread, you can post to this thread to subscribe or you can use 'thread tools' and click 'subscribe'.

Please note that our Vancouver(ish) Tribe has other threads in the Canada Forum, including:

* Vancouver(ish) Meet-up thread
* Knitting Group Thread: look in the Canada forum
* Vancouver(ish) Doctors for Children
* Vancouver(ish) Dental Resources for Children
* FAQ: Greater Vancouver Area Liveability and Affordability

sharing life with | 10 yo ds | 8 yo dd | dh (since 2012)
"I am not what happened to me...I am what I choose to become." ~ Carl Jung
#2 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

any thoughts for kdt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtmom2be View Post
Anyone mind if I turn our discussion to health for a minute? I'm wondering if those of you with thyroid issues happen to know if there is a link between hypothyroidism and uterine fibroids? All I can find is a 1929 paper that shows no causal effect but some link. I'm wondering if I should be pushing for thyroid testing again because I know I have fibroids, they are getting worse and I'm tired and just... sluggish. (and the family history of thyroid issues).

#3 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
subbing!
Sorry, I have no experience with Thyroid or Fibroid issues
We're off to try the fibreglass "ice" rink in West Van today. Apparently, my sister's kids loved it the other day. I can't quite get my head around it though!

and now for a smiley interlude by Oscar...
:lur k:l urk:c offee:dro pjaw

He has been wanting to do this for years!
#4 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM

I have no idea about Thyroid, sorry...

I loves the smiley flurry from Oscar, Vlad used to do that when he was little too, now he just steals my iPod and disappears somewhere for hours

The weather is changing, maybe we will still see the sugared mountains.

Vira, mom to Sophia (06/08) and step-mom to Vlad (09/98)
#5 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM

Yes, we have a large amount of rain headed our way it looks like.

And I have 5 yards of yummy soil freshly delivered on my driveway! Weeeee!!

(It's truly the way to my heart)

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#6 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM

no advice kdt, but hope you find your solution!

no real news here, though things are looking like they'll start moving again soon, hopefully this week if things go well for Salem, who is there now waiting to bring her little guy home. life is topsy turvy, but lots of excitement about upcoming events -- babies and moving to california all happening right on top of each other most likely.

and Oscar has inspired Dexter, so the next message will be from him.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#7 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

Tiffani -- I missed that you're moving to California??? Wow!

#8 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM

lol lol lol BRRRRR!!! OMG look!!! sweet!!! .......lol lol lol lol ??? ewww!!!! lol lol Luke I am your father NOOOOO!!!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
RUN CHICKENS RUN!!!! BAD DOG!!!!!
I'm cool you're not! lol omg lol omg lol............................................... ................................................ uh uh uh what am I supposed to say??? nothing just say a smiley oh ok

THE END

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#9 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 05:37 PM

uh oh, I think I've created a monster... look forward to more smiley stories by D in the future.

flowmom, yes, we have to move to CA to finalize our adoption. the only question is when... we have our ideal timing in mind, but when does anything go how you want it to?

#10 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 PM

wow tiffani, that is exciting! and fun to read your little boys, but be careful what you start. i won't be telling my two, because you will receive a daily dose of 10,000 kisses this is how they are communicating to daddy on a business trip, along with video chat.

i've no experience with thyroid with fibroids, but definitely i would look into a holistic type of medicine, a practitioner who can see what is going on in your whole body.

i know i'm late on this, but i was so happy that the canadians won the couples skating! i love it when a skater makes me cry instead of triggering my gag reflex for some reason the cheese factor in these performances is just so high but i thought the canadians were astonishing and beautiful. i still don't understand how this is a sport, precisely but then that's why i like it!

we've also loved the alpine and the half-pipe, men and women, amazing!

#11 of 768 Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM

Well its about Blooming Time for another thread...:

I'm sorry, I don't have any thyroid info.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Tiffany!

Is it just me, or is today really cold?

Subbing...

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#12 of 768 Old 02-24-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
i still don't understand how this is a sport, precisely but then that's why i like it!
I suppose if you're seeing it in a "it's dance, related to ballet, etc" kind of frame, I see your point. But it evolved from much more basic skating... think of the original compulsory figures they had to do...

AFAIC, figure skating is what ballet wishes it was. When I listen to interesting music, I make up choreographed skating routines to it. In my head. I can't actually figure skate myself, just watched a LOT growing up.

Tiffani.

Yes, it's freakin' cold today. Our Olympic outing wasn't nearly as fun. But we went to the Canadian Mint pavilion. There are actually 2 lineups. The really long one is to see (and touch?) the medals. The other one (~30 min today) is just to see all the other cool stuff, and there was lots to see. The kids section even has a station where you punch your own mascot coin (Calvin chose a Quatchi image), and take it home! Movies to watch about how coins are made. Cool multimedia stuff, lifting a gold ingot (10 min. lineup), the million-dollar coin, etc. We saw the cauldron - that was sort of neat - Calvin immediately noticed that the long stick parts look like crystals. We briefly visited Saskatchewan House b/c it only had a 20 minute wait, but it was fairly dull. The highlight was picking up a free recipe booklet for pulses from the Saskatchewan Pulse Growers Association. But it does look tasty! We were going to go to Sochi House, but the lineup was insane. Same for Ontario House. The Right to Play pavilion across for Sk house was good. Oh, and ContainR, the stacked shipping containers just across the street from the cauldron is a really neat short film festival, running bitty movies continuously. We watched about 7 before Calvin was finally ready to go. The coolest one was the one where a woman is dreaming, and the bed is the frame/canvas for all the stop motion action. Pillow clouds, sock fish, bird t-shirts... Stunning.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#13 of 768 Old 02-24-2010, 02:15 PM

subbing

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#14 of 768 Old 02-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouverlori View Post
The highlight was picking up a free recipe booklet for pulses from the Saskatchewan Pulse Growers Association. But it does look tasty!
What the heck is pulse??

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#15 of 768 Old 02-24-2010, 03:44 PM

I don't even care if figure skating is a sport. It's so beautiful. It's actually the only thing I bother to watch in the winter olympics, although I'll leave curling on if I happen to catch it, just because it's so...odd.

I missed the women's skating, and the free dance...am hoping I can find the Virtue/Moir dance online (couldn't yesterday) soon, because it was amazing, by all accounts. I don't know anything about figure skating, but the highlights I saw sure looked impressive.

I don't know why the Olympics seem to be adding so much time pressure to my life, but they do. I'll be glad when they're all over...but I'll also be on the Island. We leave for Duncan Saturday morning, then go to Gabriola on Saturday night, and come home on Monday. We're once again turning ds1's gymastics competition into a mini family vacation.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#16 of 768 Old 02-24-2010, 06:50 PM

SB - this video should work for the ice dance: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/inde...0-e8d9a49a1f89 They have a lot of other videos on there too, that are fun to watch.

OMG my DS is driving me up the wall. I just told him to shut up for the first time ever . He refuses to eat his meals, then has a major major meltdown from being hungry, and just screams at me for an hour. Ughhh. I need to figure this out.

Pulses - are like lentils, beans, etc. I think it's a more common term in the UK, and maybe Australia?

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#17 of 768 Old 02-24-2010, 09:11 PM
Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn Mama View Post
And I have 5 yards of yummy soil freshly delivered on my driveway! Weeeee!!r
Autumn, would you reccomend whoever delivered your soil? I assume it is "organic"? This year may be the year we finally start a veg. garden we've already cleared and prepared an area and should bring soil soon!

I went downtown today, and it was reaaaaaly quiet. I parked next to Canada Post for $2 an hour and walked around, but ds2 only wanted to spend his time at the kids section of the library
#18 of 768 Old 02-24-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison's Mom View Post
OMG my DS is driving me up the wall. I just told him to shut up for the first time ever . He refuses to eat his meals, then has a major major meltdown from being hungry, and just screams at me for an hour. Ughhh. I need to figure this out.
Ugh, I am SO there with you.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#19 of 768 Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
SB - this video should work for the ice dance: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/inde...0-e8d9a49a1f89 They have a lot of other videos on there too, that are fun to watch.

Pulses - are like lentils, beans, etc. I think it's a more common term in the UK, and maybe Australia?
Thank you!
Sorry to hear about your ds. Not much help here - I never had a kid that wouldn't eat!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#20 of 768 Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
What the heck is pulse??
yes, peas, beans and lentils.

The nice thing about those CTV videos is they have tickmarks along the progress bar, so you can mouse over it, see who it was, and click on whoever you want to see. You have to download "silverlight" to play them, but it's quick and painless.

Quote:
That is tough. We've gone through various periods of that. Eventually I was able to get through to him that he needs sugar in his blood or else his brain doesn't work right and he feels really angry and awful. And that he needs to eat his food *before* he feels that way. It was tough, and took a long time. It helps me to keep on top of his eating schedule - he's ready for lunch at 11am, rather than noon, and if I can remember that, and a mid-afternoon snack, things go much more smoothly. Also making sure he gets protein with any carbs he eats (tough with all his allergies - it's either meat or sunflower seed butter as protein sources!) But it's still a tough phase. And don't beat yourself up about your lapse in perfect parenting.

Today we made a Canadian flag, some maple leaves and a big "Go Canada!" sign, and Calvin is excitedly watching the game with Daddy. He finally got interested in watching hockey at the end of the game vs. Germany last night. I normally wouldn't care if my kid watched a sport or not, but since he does *play* the game, it's helpful for him to see how it's supposed to be played!

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#21 of 768 Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the support, guys, and thanks Lori for the advice. You're right about getting their eating schedule sorted out and getting them to eat BEFORE they start to feel hungry. We did that with DD when she was younger, and I need to be a bit more diligent with DS, and maybe just phase out the junk food so he's not asking for it. One other thing is maybe try to anticipate what he wants and ask questions like 'we need to do XXX now; do you want to do it yourself?', or asking what bowl, spoon, fork, glass he wants ahead of time, which I generally already do, because otherwise I'm getting up from the table about 20 times per meal!

He really is a great kid - sweet and funny, but these screaming matches have me beat. I also sooooo need a break. DH has been on all sorts of trips, probably 2-3 fun trips per year since the kids were born, and I haven't been away from the kids ever. He's good at taking what he needs to feel sane (hockey, going out, naps), and I need to get better at it. MIL passed away in January, and we had to deal with that, plus go to Toronto to have a celebration of life there for her, so it was stressful around here, and I felt like having a night out to myself in the midst of that would be too much for the kids. BUT, I'm so burnt out that I really should have just taken a couple of nights when DH was going to home, and reduced my own stress level so I wasn't so irritable at the kids all the time. OK, deep breath. I feel better just typing this out. Thanks for all your support, everyone.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#22 of 768 Old 02-25-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
SB - this video should work for the ice dance: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/inde...0-e8d9a49a1f89
Thank you. Wow! They were amazing. I don't think I've ever seen an ice dance quite like that. I'm not at all surprised they got the gold. Beautiful...just beautiful. That looked perfect to me.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#23 of 768 Old 02-25-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len View Post
Autumn, would you reccomend whoever delivered your soil? I assume it is "organic"? This year may be the year we finally start a veg. garden we've already cleared and prepared an area and should bring soil soon!
Hurrah for a new veggie garden!!!

The soil I just ordered is from West Creek Farm, and it is not OMRI listed, meaning that it is not for use in a certified organic growing operation. They are up the road from me, and I like to choose as local as I can for delivery/footprint reasons. It would be fine for you though, I think, as it is as "clean" as it could be, coming from sources like ground, composted tree bark (fir and hemlock, absolutely no cedar in it), mushroom manure, sand, and contains absolutely no green waste. Soil companies that incorporate green waste will have a harder time actually confirming what is in the resulting soil. I had them add 15% more composted bark because I like a certain "feel" but I'm using it for the perennial beds around the house and inside yard area, and not the veggie garden.

For our veggie gardens and fruits I am bringing in the more spendy SeaSoil, as that area of the farm where our food gardens are is tracked for organic standards and is tested yearly. It is the only OMRI listed soil ammendment that I know of...our plants grew *amazingly* well with SeaSoil, I highly recommend it if you can swing it. It is lovely stuff, has a rich, crumbly texture and you don't need a lot, per se. They regularly test their soil for the presence of E Coli and heavy metals among other things. If you call them and give them your bed sizes, they will assist you in how much to order. Anf they can tell you who delivers close to you...or you can pick it up in a truck and save delivery charges. We did this as my DH has a company P/U truck.

Sooo exciting Len!! Happy growing...hey, it's almost time to revive the gardening threads!!

ERIN, : simple living mama, on the path to simplicity with DH, Scott, Matthew, 8 Brendan, 5 : and a garden full of
#24 of 768 Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 AM

Did you see it? Did you see Joannie ger her bronze? OMG!!!!!!! I'm crying.....

#25 of 768 Old 02-26-2010, 05:32 AM

i thought it was perfect too, storm.

giraffeee *fingers in ears* lalalalallalal (okay, going to watch the recording!)

i have a question for you folks. granted, this is most likely culturally specific and difficult to comment on, but you could try . yesterday i was woken up before 7 a.m. by the police, looking for the neighbour in a flat in my building. they asked me to describe him, if i knew his name, and if he had been living there recently. yes. they apologised for bothering me, and when i went back to my children (my partner is away) they hammered on his door for a good long time. he didn't answer. i saw him later. i spoke to the owner of my place, she spoke to the owner of his, she spoke to him...he said it was 'just a traffic offence'...really? have you heard of anyone after a man at the early hours regarding a traffic offence? you know, in london (no cultural difference, right ) his landlord didn't seem interested. i am very interested!!! because my children + i are alone here, especially!

so this morning, they didn't buzz me, but otherwise, same thing. i can see his car sitting there.

what would you do? anything? i'm finding it pretty unsettling!

#26 of 768 Old 02-26-2010, 01:48 PM

I don't know if they'd tell you anything, but I think I'd probably call the police and ask. Tell them you're not expecting to know specifics, but are concerned about whether he's a potential threat to your kids. Maybe they can at least tell you whether it was a traffic offence (which seems really unlikely to me, as well - unless maybe we're talking about a hit and run, particularly if it involved serious injury or a fatality), violent or whatever.

#27 of 768 Old 02-26-2010, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
artparent: I'd call. I doubt it's just a traffic offence, unless it's of the sort Storm Bride is talking about, or a drunk driving offence. How unsettling for you ...

ETA: They probably can't tell you anything unless there's a conviction involved, but I think you might feel better for trying. And if they do tell you, then you can act accordingly. Even if it is drunk driving, you can be extra careful when you see his car on the road. We have a neighbour who drives his car to the pub two blocks away and then home after closing time, drunk. His car is trashed, and whenever I see it, I make sure I've got extra wits about me in case I have to act fast, whether I'm on foot or in our car.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#28 of 768 Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 PM

I'd call Elisa. how unsettling, for sure. I would insist that you be told at the very least whether the individual is facing charges and for what. As the sole guardian for your children living in the same building does create a reasonability to know. Not specifics per se, but enough to potentially protect yourselves!

Can you pack for a little stay away if need be? I might also advise the landlord that this could potentially affect your comfort in living there, maybe that would stir up some motivation to become involved. I really don't like the "let's pretend it isn't happening" types. So annoying to try to get help from!

Keep us posted and try to keep your little folk comforted...do they understand what's going on?

#29 of 768 Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 PM

thanks mamas. i did get good news from my landlord, that he's moving out in 3 weeks . however if i hear the police banging again tomorrow (saturday!) i may come out and speak to them. my owner is bugging his, who tried to get more information from him but he was vague, apparently. if it was a traffic violation and that serious i would have thought they would have approached his car, but he's still driving and they haven't touched it. a little weird!! creepy. he's always been very nice to me, so i'm sorry about it, but i've got my mama bear on

eta no, they've no idea, i've managed to keep it under wraps because my tall one slept through it all. tricky to talk to my love about it, when they are around, we have resorted to email for most of it! he steers me round the culture, thank goodness. i will be very pleased when he is home.

#30 of 768 Old 02-26-2010, 07:53 PM

Wow, i would be concerned with something like that... but in all honetsy I wouldn't expect to hear anything at all from police. After all if he is not arrested than they do not actually know if he is involved in a crime. Hope this gets resolved quickly for you.

In the other news - I just bought a ring sling for my nearly 2yo, am I crazy?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page