Campgrounds near Niagara Falls - Mothering Forums
Canada > Campgrounds near Niagara Falls
verde's Avatar verde 08:06 PM 03-14-2010
DH, 4.5 y/o DD, and I are seriously thinking about doing a camping trip which includes Niagara Falls. Does anyone have any advice about campgrounds? We do tent camping so nothing plugs in.

How many days would you recommend we stay?

Thanks in advance.

Irishmommy's Avatar Irishmommy 09:04 PM 03-14-2010
Are you Canadian or American or do you have a passport? On the American side, Four Mile Creek SP is close and decent. There are KOAs on each side, but I'm not sure what kind of camping you want - they are expensive. The Canadian side one is decent for a KOA, not sure about the US one. There are a number of private campgrounds on the Canadian side.

How close to te falls do you want to be? You can do the falls themselves in a couple of hours, a bit more if you do the Maid of the Mist. If you do the Canadian side, Niagara on the Lake is a lovely town. Both sides have forts, it might be interesting to see them both on the same trip to get both sides of the story.
verde's Avatar verde 08:39 PM 03-16-2010
Thanks for your response! We are Americans with passports and we're excited about the thought of crossing into Canada. We do tent camping so we can go simple. We're thinking of staying for about 3 days and would like to do the Maid of the Mist.
Irishmommy's Avatar Irishmommy 09:16 PM 03-16-2010
Canadian side:

Rock Point Provincial Park is a little over an hour away.
Shalamar Lake is about 10 minutes away.
There are two others in NF, ON but I've never stayed in them. Rock Point is lovely, Shalamar is okay, lots of seasonals. Probably good for what you want.

American side:

Four Mile Creek State Park - about 15 minutes away. Nice, some lovely views of Toronto.
There are other campgrounds on the US side, but none that I've stayed in.

Both sides have KOAs, the Canadian one is okay, never been in the NY one, but that one is right beside a highway, so will be noisy.
Up