Maison de naissance info for those who don't have a Quebec health card - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-25-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hey - I figured I'd post this fresh because I think I saw a few people with the same question in the MDN thread as well as the HB in Montreal thread and I want to be sure this gets seen. So I had my first appointment in Gatineau today (with Julie, love her and it went great! Tobi is her back up, does anyone know her? It's only been 16 mos since I had my son there but there's been a lot of turn over, I didn't recognize anyone) and I asked Suzie the admin person about what the situation would be if you don't yet have a health card if you've recently moved back to the country/province. She confirmed that they don't ask for the card until the first appointment, which is usually around 12-18 weeks. But even then, you don't have to have the card yet. As long as you have the file number that indicates that you've applied for the card, that's fine. Either the office you apply at (I think there are only in-person offices in Montreal and Quebec city) or the CLSC that helps you with the mail-in application can give you the file number. She said not to wait to TTC if you're within a few months from being able to apply for the number, that it should all work out even if you got preg quickly.

So that's great news! Though I'd suggest that if you're not in the Gatineau area, you should call your MDN to confirm that they take the same approach.

I forgot to ask if they accept private insurance. I also forgot to ask if you can go to an info session before you're pregnant in order to speed up getting your name on the waiting list when you do get your BFP. Sorry! Let me know if you want me to ask next time I call/visit them.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#2 of 9 Old 03-26-2010, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you so much for asking this question!! I appreciate it! Very good to know!! I just wonder, just to give myself the pass to TTC, in case I don't get to have a midwife, if OB/GYNS would do the same thing as I believe the appointments with a doctor might be sooner than 12 weeks...Hopefully they would and I will have private insurance!
#3 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm pretty sure that most OB-GYNs will see you as early as 8 weeks. You could also just see a family doctor at that stage and they'll transfer you either to the MDN or an OB sometime in the 2nd tri.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#4 of 9 Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM

Eight weeks, okay! That's what I thought as well! Thanks again for all the infos! I'm really really hoping to get a place at the MDN!!
#5 of 9 Old 04-07-2010, 10:05 PM

Thank you! this is very helpful!
#6 of 9 Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM

Hi all! Just an update on my situation: DH actually got a job in my hometown, a suburb of Montreal, so that's where we'll be moving to in one month!! I plan on calling both Pointe-Claire's and CDN's maisons! And should I not get a place, I'll go to Lasalle Hospital since it's so med free friendly!
#7 of 9 Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 PM

you can also try the newest midwife clinic, jeanne mance. you do have to be in area to use them, but i'm not sure how strict they are.
#8 of 9 Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM

Thanks, Silverfish!
#9 of 9 Old 05-24-2010, 12:29 PM

I gave birth with Tobi five years ago! It was our first meeting. I loved her!

My first midwife was taking a well-deserved few hours nap, her usual back-up was on vacation, so Tobi stepped in. We all were surprised by how quick my labor went. They called my midwife when I felt the urge to push and she arrived just as baby was slipping out so she took the second midwife role.

Valérie   

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page