Spanish Child Care Toronto - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-28-2010, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello fellow APers,

I am moving home to Toronto from New York and am about to take that giant step of going back to work after over 2 years at home with my daughter Violet. We are searching for an AP-style child care environment. Any suggestions? And also any programs or activities in Spanish. She already understands quite a bit, and we are hoping to encourage her fluency.

Looking forward to meeting some of you soon!
Candice
#2 of 4 Old 04-06-2010, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Candice and welcome "home"!

I don't know anything about Toronto in particular so didn't respond to your post but now that I see that no one has any ideas for you I thought I'd jump in and ask if you've looked into Montessori schools in Toronto. In my area, the Montessori daycares and schools have a lot of staff whose maternal language is Spanish. Where my son goes, the first language spoken/taught is French, then Spanish, then English. It was the same at two other Montessori daycares that I visited. I have no idea if this is a coincidence or if it is typical of Montessori programs (I really should ask - duh!). If you do pursue that route, you can find lots of good info in the Montessori forum here on MDC, including one particularly good thread that is active right now. I think it is titled "what's the difference between montessori and other daycare" or something close to that. I find most aspects of the philosophy to be very compatible with AP but some are quite contrary. Thankfully there is variation from one Montessori to the next so I was able to find exactly what I was looking for and it has worked out really well for us.

Good luck with your move and your return to work!

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.
#3 of 4 Old 04-22-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply Jessica. I will certainly look into it. I was surprised that no one in Toronto responded. I understand that the Spanish-speaking community in the city is expanding rapidly. I will let you know what I find once I am settled there.

Take care and thanks again for taking the time to write,
Candcie
#4 of 4 Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Good luck finding just what you're looking for, Candice. Since I last posted, my DS has his official first word, agua!!! Took us a while to figure it out since we've been on high alert for any babbling that sounded remotely French or English and kind of forgot that he's learning Spanish too.

Happy mumma to my boys Henny Tom (Nov 30, 2008), Arlo Odie (Oct 5, 2010), and baby SISTER! due mid-Dec 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page