So tell me about British Columbia... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-31-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I have every intention of moving to BC (from Manitoba) within the year. We'll be spending a little over a week there at the beginning of June, just to travel around and scout out some different areas. Our plan is to check out the places we'd potentially be living, and see/learn as much as we can during our visit. If you can provide ideas for locations we might be interested it, I'd love to hear them!!

Some info:

- DH and I are in our mid-twenties. I'm and ECE currently working in a daycare centre, but planning to change careers; my job will not influence our decision. DH is a software developer, and therefore our options may be limited by where he can find a job
- I would prefer to live in a smaller, out-of-city location that is more "crunchy" if there is such a thing, access to organic foods, natural family living etc.

TIA for any insight!

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#2 of 13 Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 AM

Check out Courtney on Vancouver Island.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#3 of 13 Old 04-04-2010, 03:16 AM

or the kootenays! nelson and thereabouts.. lots of crunchy folk around here!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#4 of 13 Old 04-04-2010, 12:57 PM

The uber-crunch pockets are in the kootenays, the sunshine coast, anywhere on vancouver island and especially the smaller islands, but honestly just about anywhere in bc you'd have crunchy neighbours, access to organic foods, and natural family living. if your dh ends up needing to be in a bigger center to find work, even the cities have plenty of crunchy folk

heartbeat.gif

#5 of 13 Old 04-04-2010, 06:44 PM

There is an "ecovillage" - although I don't know if you want to go THAT crunchy or not.

Really, the whole Fraser Valley is a blend of farming and living space (farther east the proportion of farming increases), and there is quite a bit of organic stuff. The whole "west coast" atmosphere is pretty "crunchy" in general.

Tjej
#6 of 13 Old 04-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Just a heads up...my cousin as well as several friends are in the computer softwear industry and they say that jobs are a little scarce at the moment in BC, mainly in Vancouver. Quite a few of the softwear companies (eg. Electronic Arts) laid off staff last fall and aren't really hiring at the moment.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#7 of 13 Old 04-04-2010, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm.. thanks Ellp, good to know. We'll definitely be checking that out.

We'll be checking out Courtney for sure, as we're also visiting friends in Comox while we're out there.

Hubby says Kootenays are too far inland.

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#8 of 13 Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OvenSeeksBun View Post
Hubby says Kootenays are too far inland.
That's funny because just about any place in the world is less inland than you are right now.

Tjej
#9 of 13 Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post
That's funny because just about any place in the world is less inland than you are right now.
LOL, I know. It sounds silly.

#10 of 13 Old 04-05-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tjej View Post

Tjej
hmm. i felt like that for a while when we lived in the slocan 7 years ago..but now that we live here on the lake, which is the largest natural lake in BC..it feels a lot like the coast without the pollution & craziness. life here is slow and lovely. plus the mountains all around sure make it feel safe. i grew up in vancouver and have lived all over BC and this part of the world is something special... that said all of the other places were as well.. kaslo, my small town, is home to a lot of folks from other provinces.. just check out all of these places before you decide against them, because you could be surprised how nice it feels to be far from other places

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#11 of 13 Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern View Post
or the kootenays! nelson and thereabouts.. lots of crunchy folk around here!
Yes, the west kootenays!!! Nelson for sure!!
#12 of 13 Old 06-01-2010, 09:24 PM

FYI, software developer jobs are hard to find in the "smaller, out-of-city" locations. They do exist, but expect the job hunt to be much tougher. My husband and I both worked in the software industry in Vancouver before moving to the north Okanagan area. I have changed careers, and my husband now commutes an hour and 15 minutes each way to a job in Kelowna. Even in Kelowna, the pickings are very slim. I don't mean to be a downer, but it's the reality of the situation.
#13 of 13 Old 06-05-2010, 07:06 AM

Hi from Victoria!

Mama to Gracie (2) and wife to Sean

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page