any Nova Scotia mamas or papas out there? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 04-03-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there
We are thinking about spending the summer in Nova Scotia. What is the best town? We're looking for something somewhat remote, so not directly in Halifax.

thanks!

Mommy to one beautiful boy, born 9/28/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 04-04-2010, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
#3 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Rachelsmama!
Where do yiou think the best place is to live in Nova Scotia?

#4 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Hi beautifulboy, the best place to live for you would probably be different than the best place for me. I like the Annapolis Valley, and Cape Breton, and Halifax best I think, but every place has its good points and bad points.
#5 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM

Hey. I am from Cape Breton but I am living in Montreal now. I am hoping to get back for a month at least after baby number 2 is born mid july. I would recommend Cape Breton if you want natural beauty but most places are remote so you will definitely need a car. We will be in Ingonish, great place if you like beaches, lakes, hiking. Baddeck, Inverness or pretty well any place on the east coast North of Smokey is beautiful. Halifax is also fun. I lived there for a number of years. The Annapolis Valley is also lovely with small towns and farming. I hear Wolfville if nice. Lunenberg is is nice but maybe a tad touristy for the summer.

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#6 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi! There are several of us on MDC. I live in Lunenburg on the South Shore, and I think it's pretty terrific here--affordable, temperate (way more so than CB and even more so than Halifax), gorgeous, and with hopping local arts and local food scenes. The Annapolis Valley is a little crunchier than here and has a lot to recommend it, but I'm a fool for the ocean view here on east side.
#7 of 14 Old 04-07-2010, 10:30 PM

Hello!
I now live in Montreal, but I am from NS orriginally. Im from the Annapolis Valley, and it is so so beautiful there. And I personally LOVE Lunenburg area! Ah, the food in Lunenburg! so so yum. Check out "Second Paradise Retreat" they have a website. I had my wedding there, and it is amazing. they have two small cottages, a loft, and a HUGE farm house, you can rent any one of these. Probably too expensive an option for a whole summer, but a good short term accomidation for a week or so. Mahone bay (close to lunenburg) is smaller but also beautiful. And many many beautiful places to day trip to in Nova Scotia. Have fun!
#8 of 14 Old 04-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Annapolis valley, hands down! Towns like Berwick and Wolfville (Also Grand Pre and surrounding areas) are almost cosmopolitan in terms of what is available. In the spring and summer, Wolfville has an awesome outdoor town market that moves indoors in the Student Union Building in the fall. It's also surrounded by great farmer's markets where you can get local fruit and produce. Wolfville also has "Fair Trade" designiation. Really beautiful place to live or stay and it's only 45-50 minutes outside the city.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.
#9 of 14 Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Ooh, I'd say the Annapolis Valley too. I grew up in Wolfville and hated to leave. I am now in East Hants, which is somewhat remote, near the airport--about 45 minutes from downtown Halifax and half an hour from Truro or Dartmouth/Sackville/Bedford (1h10m from Wolfville). So it is somewhat close to everything but not too close to anything. If that's what you like when you say "remote" then by all means, check out East Hants, but I would rather live in the Annapolis Valley.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#10 of 14 Old 04-09-2010, 12:46 PM

One place too few people know about is the village of Maitland. It is located where the Shubanacadie River flows into the Minas Basin. It's a little over an hour to Halifax, about 20 min to Truro. It has an elementary school, an small general store, a playground, a little beach. Lovely old houses and the people are very friendly, more so than in some other small villages I found.

Housing prices are a little better than in places like Wolfville.

They have a website here.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#11 of 14 Old 04-11-2010, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thank You everyone!

#12 of 14 Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 PM

We're just back in Cape Breton after having our baby with the midwives on the South Shore (Lunenburg/Bridgewater). We loved the area and hope to move there. We find Cape Breton rather more conservative though beautiful.

I've heard the Annapolis Valley is the most crunchy, though I don't know the area myself.
#13 of 14 Old 05-07-2010, 11:51 PM

If it weren't so far away from everything, I'd love to live in Wolfville. Lovely homes, nice sized properties, less expensive real estate and just crunchy enough for me
#14 of 14 Old 05-11-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePeanut View Post
If it weren't so far away from everything, I'd love to live in Wolfville. Lovely homes, nice sized properties, less expensive real estate and just crunchy enough for me

It's really not far away from everything at all! The nearest town is New Minas and that is less than 15 minutes away by car. You can bike it in under an hour. There's a mall, a Walmart and lots of other services. Halifax/Dartmouth is about 45-50 minutes away by car. Wolfville itself has more than a decent grocery store and quite an extensive weekend farmer's market. Because it is a University town, there's really a lot available in a small area. Heck, there is a gym and a pool in the University gym that is open to the public.

I really didn't realize the sheer awesomeness of Wolfville until I moved to Manitoba. There are things I could get in Wolfville that aren't available to me in the whole of Winnipeg!

When I lived in Wolfville, I commuted to halifax for work. It wasn't ideal, but lots of people do it. You can take the Green Rider but there are also lots of independant carpool opportunities,.

Mama to Thing 1 and Thing 2.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page