Vancouver & Victoria folks: Hotel recommendations, please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-05-2010, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We are planning on a trip to V & V in May. Not sure which we'll be visiting first. Trying to find hotels that are near, or accessible, to the attractions we'd like to see.

Vancouver: We'd like to visit the aquarium & park and Gastown, in particular. Downtown hotels are a bit pricier than I would like (we're more of the < $125/night-types!) and so many charge for parking, as well. I know that Vancouver has a nice light transit system. Can anyone recommend a hotel, even in outlying areas, that would have transit service to the aquarium/park?

Same goes with Victoria lodgings: Aquarium, the natural history museum and the downtown area (must have tea at the Empress!).

If we are being unrealistic about accomodations prices being lower in the surrounding areas, please tell us!

Also, any recommendations of good ethnic restaurants, particularly Middle Eastern or Greek, in either city/area??

TIA!!!
#2 of 10 Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When MIL comes over she sometimes stays at the Days Inn (http://www.daysinnvancouver.com/).

Its well priced and right downtown so its convienient for getting to attractions. Getting to the aquarium is a short walk and 1 bus ride away (#19 Metrotown/Stanley Park), or a 7 minute drive down Georgia St. Gastown is just a short walk away from there too.

The Skytrain station/Canada Line is just around the corner too, so you can take that to get to the outlying areas (Eg. Metrotown, Burnbay, Richmond).

As for greek food, I like Stepho's on Davie Street in downtown. Humongous portions, very fresh, very reasonable prices and very popular. There are usually line ups outside the restaurant but the wait isn't bad. http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#3 of 10 Old 04-06-2010, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks!! I really appreciate your answers!

We'll check out your suggestions. Looks like we may stay longer in Victoria, but Vancouver is certainly good for at least 2-3 days in our plans.

Thank you, again!
#4 of 10 Old 04-09-2010, 12:38 AM

There's a slough of Traveller's Inns down Douglas Street in Victoria that at 59 dollars a night- all walking distance to the attractions you mentioned.

tea6.gifStudent mama to Lyra June loveeyes.gif (ribboncesarean.gif 10.24.09)  and Olive Isis love.gif  (vbac.gif12.12.11) 

#5 of 10 Old 04-13-2010, 01:23 AM

http://www.cascadiakids.com/ has great resources for travel with kids to Vic & Van.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#6 of 10 Old 04-14-2010, 01:36 AM
Len

For Vancouver, check the hotels in the North Shore. I just did a quick search, for example, and the Lonsdale Quay hotel in North Van has rooms for $99 in May. Easy access to both downtown and attractions on the North Shore of course!

In Victoria, when my mom came to visit a couple of years ago, we got a great low-season deal at THE Empress, including breakfast and/or tea... it was on late April I think.
I never even thought of asking there because I thought it would be expensive! but when put together, including parking, it was an affordable luxury experience!
#7 of 10 Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 AM

I am not from BC but we went on a trip in September of 06 and I did tons of research etc on cheaper well located and unique places to stay. Here is were we stayed

In Vancouver we stayed at The Sylvia Hotel It was a nice interesting room in a fantastic spot right on English Bay! One say we walked into Stanley park and the Aquarium. You can take a bus (Robson I believe) with a stop just a short block way from the hotel right downtown (it is also walk able if you like walking) pretty much straight to Gastown. Also there was a great little restaurant downstairs at the hotel with big picture windows looking out to English Bay and they served awesome wild blueberry pancakes. The price was around $129 a night I think. I would for sure stay there again.

In Victoria we stayed at The Strathcona it was cheap and centrally located, minutes away from the Empress, but we were disappointed. The staff were unpleasant, the room was small probably wouldn't stay there again unless just looking for a cheap place to sleep downtown.

Have fun, we love BC!!!!!

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#8 of 10 Old 04-20-2010, 06:17 PM

When in Victoria, we always stay at the Queen Victoria Hotel and Suites.
Their website is here:

http://www.qvhotel.com/

I'm not sure of their rates off the top of my head, but we've never had a complaint - friendly staff, and convenient to most attractions (although it's quite a walk to Craigdarroch Castle, if you want to go there). It's also very close to Beacon Hill Park, which we appreciate.

The in-hotel restaurant is expensive, but very good. We eat most of our meals off premises, though.

I can't help you with Vancouver, but you could maybe check on the Lonsdale Quay hotel. I'm not sure how expensive it is, but it's just a SeaBus ride to downtown. In fact, the SeaBus terminal on the Vancouver side is more-or-less the west border of Gastown.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#9 of 10 Old 04-29-2010, 08:29 PM

In Victoria, I assume you mean the Sidney Ocean Discovery Centre? (I'd skip the Undersea Gardens in downtown Victoria.) The Vancouver one is _so_much_better_. Unless you're an aquarium fanatic, I'd probably just go to the Vancouver aquarium instead.

When we visit Vancouver, we typically stay at the YWCA Hotel. It's downtown (most major transit stops are walking distance and it's 1 block from Stadium Skytrain). The rooms are very basic, but clean and safe. Parking is like $11. The reason I like it is because they've got full kitchens on some floors, and there are fridges in your room, so you can at least eat breakfast at the hotel and not eat out 3 times a day.

one tired mama chasing after a spirited little boy (10/04)
#10 of 10 Old 04-29-2010, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've heard the sandman downtown van is good too, but haven't been there myself.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page