Ottawa Mamas Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 04-15-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a Ottawa Thread? I know there was one a few years ago, but now I looked and did not find one.
We have been here for 5 years now and will be staying. There is still a lot I don't know about this city,what to do, where to go.
I would love to be in touch with other Ottawa Moms. It would be fun to share information on where to buy food,take the kids,schools,and summer is coming so exchange info on summer activities.
Anyone else interested?

mama wife to DH Mama to DS (12)
#2 of 13 Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM

i'm here (was away for 3.5mths but back in town)

we live in west centretown with a 3yr old and a 6mth old. we moved here 9 yrs ago from toronto.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#3 of 13 Old 04-19-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by star*mora View Post
i'm here (was away for 3.5mths but back in town)

we live in west centretown with a 3yr old and a 6mth old. we moved here 9 yrs ago from toronto.
Hi!
I work around centretown. It must be nice living so close to everything. We are in nepean. We did not know Ottawa well when we moved here. Our area is nice in some ways but I miss being able to walk to all the shops.

What happend to the old thread? I remember there used to be alot of Ottawa mums.
#4 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 11:51 AM

I'm here

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#5 of 13 Old 04-20-2010, 01:57 PM

I'm here too. Have been for about a year, and will be for about another year before another military move. We're out by Scotiabank Place. I have a 27 month old daughter and am due with another girl in September.
#6 of 13 Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 AM

Hi, I'm living in centretown (near *******) and am expecting in mid-October. I would be absolutely interested in sharing info on resources in Ottawa for new moms. I will be taking a pre-natal class at the Ottawa Childbirth Education Association - I've been told these classes are quite good.

I would appreciate any advice Ottawa moms may have.
#7 of 13 Old 04-24-2010, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel24 View Post
Hi, I'm living in centretown (near *******) and am expecting in mid-October. I would be absolutely interested in sharing info on resources in Ottawa for new moms. I will be taking a pre-natal class at the Ottawa Childbirth Education Association - I've been told these classes are quite good.

My son is 12 now. We were still in Montreal when he was little so I could help you for Montreal but not for Ottawa!
Sorry!

If you don't already know about La Leche League, I would try and find out where they are in Ottawa. When I went to the meetings in Montreal not only did I learn a lot about Breastfeeding,but I learned about all kinds of other attachment parenting ideas, and nutrition. The best part is,I made friends with lovely women who had kids my sons age many of whom I am still in contact with today. My sons best friend is a boy who's mom went to meetings the same time as I did
I think but I am not 100% sure that they have LLL meetings at the Plante recreation centre.
#8 of 13 Old 05-01-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
I'm here
re. your signature

perhaps play time at brewer park sometime...haven't been there in quite a while, bet leo is so big now!

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#9 of 13 Old 05-01-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalilah View Post
Hi!
I work around centretown. It must be nice living so close to everything. We are in nepean. We did not know Ottawa well when we moved here. Our area is nice in some ways but I miss being able to walk to all the shops.

What happend to the old thread? I remember there used to be alot of Ottawa mums.
no idea but just subscribed to this one so i can find it.

yeah, love living downtown and we are going for a car-free 2010 which is very do-able when you can walk/bike everywhere. we started in the burbs when we first got here but moved when we found a place and street we loved. we are pretty active in the neighbourhood, and have noticed a lot of families have started moving into the neighbourhood, esp. in the past 2 yrs. i know all my neighbours on the street, which wasn't the case when we were living in the burbs (beacon hill).

there are + and - to every area, but downtown ottawa is sooooo much more affordable than living in downtown toronto was

#10 of 13 Old 05-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel24 View Post

somerset west health centre is amazing (our doc is there). i saw a lactation consultant there while i was pregnant with my 2nd and nursing my 1st.

lots of free services and you live in the catchment area. prenatal breastfeeding course is free there. seriously, check it out - i only discovered the place when ds1 was about 8mths old and it is about a 3min walk from us, lol

#11 of 13 Old 05-02-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star*mora View Post
re. your signature

perhaps play time at brewer park sometime...haven't been there in quite a while, bet leo is so big now!
Thanks, mama. It's been a rough month or so but Leo is just full of sunshine.
Yes please on the playdate. I'd love to meet Everett and hear about your travels.

Megan, loving her sweet rainbow1284.gif boys, born Aug. 2008 and Feb. 2011, and their sister, born still March 2007 candle.gif
#12 of 13 Old 06-16-2010, 09:01 PM

I'm in Ottawa as well. My son will be 9 months on the 20th, where has the time gone?! Were in Wellington Village, always looking for some play dates!
#13 of 13 Old 08-06-2010, 11:22 AM

We moved here in June. Near Brittania. I have a 9 month old and a 4 year old. Both girls. Would love a playdate!
There are LLL meetings at the early years centre on Richmond between pinecrest and woodroffe every third monday of the month. Chat starts at a6, meeting 6:30. I have yet to make it. Might be there this month, but might be away in Windsor visiting family. From Leamington/Windsor originally, but moved here from Kelowna BC

cosleeping, non vaxing, cloth diapering, peace loving, life learning, at home, single mama to two beautiful girls born Jan '06 and Nov '09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page