Forest/ Woods Kindergarten - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-22-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there mamas and papas,

I have been reading a lot about the importance of free play and exposure to nature in early childhood and was wondering if anyone knew of outdoors-based programs in Toronto for young children. I am moving home from the US next week and I am looking for programs for my two-year-old daughter.

Does a Forest/Woods kindergarten program exist? Are there other preschool programs that emphasize outdoor play in the same way?

Thanks,
Candice
#2 of 3 Old 04-23-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiceogrady View Post
Does a Forest/Woods kindergarten program exist? Are there other preschool programs that emphasize outdoor play in the same way?

Thanks,
Candice
You may be interested in the Toronto Island Nature School at Hanlon's Point . It's a full public school program from JK to Gr. 6 in the TDSB. There is also a nursery, but I don't know if it's a full daycare program. Cityside kids take the ferry over to attend. I'm not sure of the catchment area. About 10 years ago, I know a south Etobicoke kid from Mimico/New Toronto was attending. She loved it.
#3 of 3 Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much! What a helpful link. They do have an associated child care program that looks fantastic. I will definitely look into it further.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page