What can you tell me about Fraser Valley? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are from Manitoba, and we're discussing the possibility of a move to BC. We'll be checking it out in June, and Fraser Valley is on our list of places to see.

What can you tell me about living in Fraser Valley (Chilliwack etc.)?
What should we make a point of seeing when we're there?

Thanks

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#2 of 6 Old 04-25-2010, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
What would you like to know? I like it... a huge area is considered Fraser Valley though and it varies.
To get a good idea of what its like when you are passing through, make sure you leave the highway if you can.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#3 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 12:44 AM

I think one thing you should know is that it rains A LOT. That can be hard to believe in the summer time, but this is a temperate rain forest. It makes for very gray skies from fall until spring.

As far as what to do/see - there are all skill levels of hikes around. Cultus Lake is beautiful (albiet busy in the summer) and has waterslides. There are waterslides right on the Highway, but they aren't as good. Bridal Falls is pretty and right off HWY 1. Chilliwack has quite a bit of Agri-tourism (agricultural tourism), if you are interested in that sort of thing. There are lots of you-pick berry farms. Minter Gardens has lovely flowers, Yarrow has many pottery studios...

The Fraser Valley is really big - the stuff I listed is only in the Aggassiz/Chilliwack area. That's only the very beginning. Well, or even before that Hope is a nice small town, IMO.

What exactly are you interested in? I could maybe be more specific. There are municipal websites (Chilliwack's for example) that will give you information as well...

Tjej
#4 of 6 Old 04-29-2010, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! It's hard to be more specific... BC is big and it's tough just narrowing it down into "areas". Good to know about the rain, someone also posted in my other thread that air pollution is a big problem in Fraser Valley.

We're also looking into Victoria and Courtenay/Comox.

Wendy (26), married to my sweetheart since 2007. Mommy to Caroline, born Boxing Day 2010 by beautiful home water birth h20homebirth.gif  intactlact.gif

#5 of 6 Old 04-30-2010, 01:11 AM

I commented on your other thread. I forgot to mention the rain: it can be a big deal for people who aren't used to it. I grew up here so it doesn't bother me, but it can be an issue especially people from the prairies which I understand get a lot of sun (even if it is freezing cold!). We get a lot of rain and cloudy days.

With that said, Victoria and southern Vancouver Island get more sun than other places, a significant amount more, although still to someone not from this region it may seem like a lot. Courtenay/Comox is wetter and more like the mainland that way. Hey, you gotta pay a price for the lushness here! ;-)

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#6 of 6 Old 04-30-2010, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Piglet! You have been very helpful

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page