What can you tell me about The Pas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-28-2010, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been looking into a midwife program and found that University of the North has an aborginal midwifery program Exactly the area I'm wanting to get into!
But I have no idea what The Pas is like, just know that its on the latitude as Edmonton(area I'm familiar with) on a river and on/near a reservation.
If anyone can give me an details, like whats the economy like, weather, housing, general attitude, shopping, anything! that would be wonderful.
Thanks in advance!

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2010, 09:59 PM

I don't know much about The Pas but I have been through there a few times on our drive to Flin Flon (which is about 80kms away) to DH's grandmother's cottage, where we spend time each summer. The Pas is very isolated and small. It's a fair bit further north than Edmonton, it is north of the 54th parallel. There's not much there for shopping... an Extra Foods is about as good as it gets. You'll find a Walmart and Canadian Tire about an hour away in Flin Flon. A girlfriend of mine who grew up in the Flin Flon area says The Pas is a rough town. There's a paper mill there, winters are BRUTAL (we're talking temps of -30C or colder on a regular basis), summers are nice. The one good thing about it is it's amongst the boreal forest and it is a short drive away from some fabulous parks in the Canadian Shield (Bakers Narrows PP) and Amisk Lake (aka Beaver Lake) just across the MB/SK border. It truly is the outdoor lover's paradise up there.

FWIW, I just saw on the news tonight that there was a substantial fire at the University of the North so I don't know how that's going to affect the operations there. And a last random tidbit, one of the midwives from the practice here in my town left here to go be a teacher up there in the aboriginal MW program. She was a great MW... not sure if she's still there.

Mama to my 3 wild things.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, so its more like where I grew up. I thought it was further south. Actually the way you describe it sounds like exactly like the area I grew up in. Only difference is that there are lakes nearby
I'm going to have to do some web searching to find out more about this fire. I hope it doesn't affect the program either

Old 05-13-2010, 08:36 PM

i would definitely call the program and talk to them. they were not running the program this year (2009-2010) because they were having a lot of difficulty ensuring that their students were getting the required clinical experiences needed to graduate. some of the women in the program were reaching their last year with only 3 or 4 births. their graduation rate was very low, but it sounded like the school was working very hard to resolve the issues.

Midwifery student , Mama to my 4 amazing kids. treehugger.gif

Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Seriously, The Pas??? I grew up in The Pas (lived there for 21 years) and you never hear mention of it randomly on the web. Too funny to see someone ask about it!

I've actually worked at UCN in the past, as does my mom. My sister is taking the nursing program there.

As for the fire, it was nothing. They're redoing the roof and some tar caught fire. It was not substantial by any means. They're still cleaning up from the water damage, but classes are continuing as usual.

The midwifery program is still just starting up. I don't know the details, but definitely give them a call and they'll be more than happy to help you out.

As for what The Pas is like...well, I'll never move back there. It's your typical small town, so if you like that, then you'll probably like The Pas. Personally, after living in a city for a few years now, I can't stand all the petty small town back-biting and gossip and whatnot that goes on, but you'll find that in most small towns.

Yes, The Pas is along a river, with the reservation on the other side. A paper mill is the major employer there, along with UCN itself.

The weather - freezing cold winters (-50 is not unusual) and gorgeous summers. The summers are particularly nice due to the surrounding area. Clearwater Lake is half an hour out of town. The lake is beautiful and has a couple nice beaches, plenty of fishing, that sort of thing. The Caves are lots of fun to climb around in. Lots of outdoor things to do. Trapper's Festival in February is the big winter event there - something to take your mind off the cold and snow.

I don't know much about the housing specifics, but there are a lot of options - housing in town, housing out in the country if you don't mind the 10-15 minute drive (we did this when we lived there temporarily last summer - rented a place out in the country on 5 acres, the privacy and space were very nice), renting right near the college, living in residence, etc. It will depend also, of course, on your family situation.

Shopping - hah! It's much improved since Walmart and Canadian Tire opened in Flin Flon (1.5 hours' drive north of The Pas). There's not a lot in The Pas itself. Giant Tiger, Extra Foods, a couple grocery stores, Ardenes, Warehouse One, True Value, a health food store, a couple other stores. People tend to head to Winnipeg (6-7 hours' drive south of The Pas) every so often to stock up on what they need, because it's often hard to find what you need in town despite how hard they try to push the whole "shop local" thing. There's a few gas stations, plenty of fast food places, a couple restaurants, several playgrounds, and an excellent public library (I might be biased, as I worked there for 7 years, but I really haven't found a library as good as that one anywhere else). UCN has a good bookstore to pick up supplies you need for school.

General attitude - well, as I said, lots of typical small town politics. Everyone knows everyone else and your business is everyone's business. I don't have the patience for that sort of drama anymore, so I wouldn't settle down there, myself, but UCN does offer excellent programs and would likely be more than worth it for you.

Hope that helps and I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have about the town. Good luck!

Cynthia, loving my husband Isaac, my silly boy Jacob (Apr 07), my sweet little Luke (Dec 09), and my darling Lily (Aug 12)

Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM

I don't know much about the pas, but as someone who's looking into midwifery programs as well, I've been told to tread cautiously with the UCN program for similiar reasons to other's stated. They're trying hard, but it's not as successful as they've wanted it to be. They are starting a program in Winnipeg beginning in 2010 term, but I think you may have missed the cutoff date. At any rate, I was cautioned to give it a few years to develop before trying it out.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

Old 06-03-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

I'm thinking The Pas may be a no-go. Not sure I really want to deal with the issues mentioned. BTDT, burned the t-shirt. There is also a program in B.C., I think in Kelowna, might check that out.*sigh*
Either way, it seems like I'll need to move quite far to get the training I need. As it is right now, I still need to get certain programs done and I don't have the money for them yet. Don't qualify for a lot of grants and loans either.
I need a sign to let me know I'm heading in the right direction.

btw, thanks for your help everyone. It was nice to hear some personal opinions on the area.

User Tag List