Midwife etiquette question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-06-2010, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter
npl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the etiquette with gifts for midwives in Ontario?
If they were GPs or OBs, I wouldn't think to give them a gift when they discharge me, but somehow I feel that I want to show my appreciation to my midwives (2 midwives, a student and the office staff).
Is this appropriate?
And, if it is, what kind of gift would be suitable?
#2 of 7 Old 05-06-2010, 01:52 PM

I think that it is okay to give a midwife/ student / staff something when discharged from care. Ideas that I have seen in the past is gift certificates for coffee/food as midwives are always on the run. Pictures of babies is also nice. Books / DVDs for the lending library. Also maybe volunteering some time to help out with local events in the community. I know the midwives here are always looking for someone to come and talk at information nights.

Lynne-Marie
#3 of 7 Old 05-06-2010, 06:52 PM

I am a jeweller so I have already been planning which "mother" necklaces to make for my midwifes. I think a meaningful present is better than food.

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#4 of 7 Old 05-06-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter
npl

Thanks! I have a craft business, and was thinking of making them personalized gifts. We've also talked a lot about coffee and chocolate (main midwife and I share a love of both!) so I thought I might buy some nice chocolate and coffee for all the staff.
#5 of 7 Old 05-07-2010, 05:20 PM

I didn't get HUGE gifts for my midwives...well b/c I couldn't afford it LOL

I had the same midwive deliver both dc. With ds I gave the office a beautiful blue potted plant..can't rightly remember what it was. And pictures from the birth that came out amazingly...one of my midwives helping my b/f ds with my dh looking on...she teared up when she saw it..I also baked some yummy healthy treats

Then with dd I got the office a magazine subscription to The Compleat Mother..since its the Canadian version of Mothering...I was hoping to bake some treats..but dd took every bit out of me

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#6 of 7 Old 05-07-2010, 10:41 PM

I wanted to give them custom birth godess necklaces but it didn't work out. I gave 2 framed pieces of birthy artwork for them to hang in their new offices as well as photos taken during and post homebirth.
#7 of 7 Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I gave a small potted plant along with a little card which expressed my thanks.

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page