Driving to Van. Island with a toddler - Pit stops? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since the MCS community is always so helpful ... We're driving from Edmonton to Vancouver Island for holdiays with my 21mo DS at the end of June. I was wondering if anyone along the route could point out some good pit stops with a toddler? I suspect that we'll stop at more than one random playground, but if there are any good locations that might be interesting for adults as well, it would be nice to hear!

TIA everyone!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2010, 02:34 AM

Just off Hwy 1 in Chilliwack (you can see it from the highway) is a place called "Dinotown". My kids had a wonderful time there last summer (they were 1 1/2 and 3 1/2). It is old and decrepit but perfect for little kids - lots of different things to do, simple stuff, short or no lines, you can bring in your own food if you want (even your dog can be taken care of there if you want). If it is a really hot/sunny day there isn't much shade, but otherwise it is a GREAT place for little kids. There's a coupon on the website.

Tjej

ETA: Bridal Falls is a waterfall nearby that is a very short/easy hike and pretty.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM

http://www.applebarn.ca is a great stop in Abbotsford. They have apple picking, maze, petting zoo, a huge inflatable pillow to jump on and it's cheap. Their apple cider is awesome.
Downtown Vancouver I'd stop at Stanley Park. Rent some rollerblades or bikes and go around the seawall.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 05-27-2010, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
what route will you take?

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
Old 05-28-2010, 12:33 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, should've clarified that we're planning on going via Jasper to Kamloops and then the Coquihalla to Vancouver and staying in Parksville on the Island, where it sounds like there is TONS to do. It's particularly the stretch between Jasper and Kamloops that concerns me - it doesn't seem like there's much along there!

We'll definitely check out the Dinotown and Apple Barn, we're planning on "doing" Vancouver aquarium on the way back.

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM

I'm not sure that the apple barn is open this time of year. I'd email them. Oh, and there are two Apple Barns, so you have to use the address on the website above for the "really fun" one.

Tjej

ETA: If I were you I'd try seeing if the back entrance to the aquarium is open - we popped in there a couple of weeks ago when we were in Stanley park and got to see a baby dolphin and the beluga whales and it was free. The aquarium is nice, but with such a young child that much could be enough and save you a ton of money. There are totem poles, a lovely sea wall to walk along, and a big huge playground in Stanley park too (oh, and a splash park for kids to cool off in the summer - it will likely be open by the time you come... that's free too).

User Tag List