Home Birth in Halifax? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-06-2010, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's the deal right now - just found out I'm due in February!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11
DCP to 1 busy munchkin! and a CRST too!

#2 of 16 Old 06-06-2010, 10:27 AM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I just heard from my midwives that one of the midwives from here (ontario) was leaving in July to go start out in Halifax....I guess things are underway out there now-ish!

Hopefully you can find some more concrete info, just wanted to share what I knew.

earth honouring, tree hugging, yogi mamma to dd - my forest faerie (Feb/04) and ds - our new little bean born peacefully at home (01/02/11)

#3 of 16 Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Ask around, call up some Doulas and Midwives.

I haven't lived in Halifax for a while, but was there for the BIG change (when midwives started in hospitals), not sure what it is currently like, and if they can/are willing to take on homebirths with liability at the moment. I think it will take some calling and finding out who is doing homebirths.

Congratulations!!

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.
#4 of 16 Old 06-06-2010, 04:02 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I know someone who had one in December, so clearly it is possible under the new system. Contact the IWK midwifery program:
http://www.iwk.nshealth.ca/index.cfm...8BBF227597126E

According to that site, the homebirth policy was approved and introduced in November 2009.

Now mom to a boy born January 2010. 
Cautiously expecting Dec 2014!

12/08 (6 weeks),  1/13 (11 weeks), &  12/13 (9.5 weeks)
#5 of 16 Old 06-08-2010, 11:01 PM

As of two months ago, there were only three practicing midwives registered here in Halifax.. and with the new regulations, two have to be present for a homebirth! (crazy odds, I know).
There also seems to be much more demand than supply for the midwifery services available.. I wasn't able to get one, after the full phone interview, because they were already booked for my month (and I called early).

That being said, my doula will hopefully be supporting a homebirth very soon! As long as both midwives can be there for the actual birth, then it will be so.

My best advice is to contact them as soon as possible to increase your chances.. welcome & good luck!
#6 of 16 Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 PM

Call the midwives at the IWK ASAP. You will want to get on the list as soon as possible. They are doing home-births and hospital births. You need to live within 30 km of the hospital to be eligible for midwifery care.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#7 of 16 Old 06-13-2010, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I've contacted the midwifery program at the IWK and am on the list for consideration. Fingers crossed that I'll get in!

Sarahknit.gifmarried to Kylehopmad.gif Mama to Orion  bouncy.gif08/07 and introducing Alice! babygirl.gif 02/11

#8 of 16 Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 PM

Congrats!! So very exciting

I'll just concur with all the others. My friend had a MWHB in December (she was one of the first few under the new regulations). I had one before the big change. Maren is awesome, Kelly is sweet and Karen I've only met twice but seemed very nice too.

You should be fine but you could always tell them you're considering a UC if you can't have your HB LOL.
#9 of 16 Old 07-14-2010, 11:48 AM

Good that you called early. The demand is much higher than the services they are able to provide. I hope you get in. I was a client in May. Unfortunately there were not 2 midwives available the day(s) I was in labour. The result was that I could labour at home but we would have to transfer before I actually gave birth. This ended up being irrelevant because I had an emergency section in the end and 2 midwives wouldn't have changed that.

Some good news is that I've heard they are working on finding alternate (non midwife) 2nd attendants. If a paramedic or Dr or maybe nurse (not sure) is willing to be the second attendant you might be covered.

Another thing to consider is that homebirths (and even acceptance into the program) are only available to clients within a 30 mile (?) radius of the hospital as a way to reduce the catchement area. Not all of HRM is eligible for midwifery services even though you are within the IWK catchement area.

The other good news is that this is a pilot project and the feedback will hopefully lead to increased services in the HRM and across the rest of the province in the future.

Oh, the 3 midwives practicing now at the IWK are Kelly, Theresa and Rachel although Rachel was off for a long period of time around my birth and post partum visits. I don't know if she has returned or not.

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
#10 of 16 Old 07-14-2010, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

So, to update this thread, I got in with the midwives! I got my call earlier this week. She said a home birth would be possible, so maybe I live in the cachement area?

My intake appointment is next Friday, and I think I'll update this thread again, since there isn't a lot of info on what's what on MDC and someone could search it.

Thanks to all!

#11 of 16 Old 07-24-2010, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're on our way to Halifax from Ontario, and it's a little un-nerving that HB is still a bit of a craps-shoot.

I'm glad you got in though!!

Laurie, wife to guitar.gifDH (Aug/04), mom tobikenew.gifDS1 (Nov/05) and bfinfant.gifDS2 (June/12).

#12 of 16 Old 09-20-2010, 09:22 PM

yeah! glad you got in! I used to live in hfx. but I live in montreal now my second son was born in july and went through the waiting list b.s! still didn't get in so I had to hire a private midwife for my hbac. totally worth it! hope your birth goes well! congrats.

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#13 of 16 Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenanegans View Post
yeah! glad you got in! I used to live in hfx. but I live in montreal now my second son was born in july and went through the waiting list b.s! still didn't get in so I had to hire a private midwife for my hbac. totally worth it! hope your birth goes well! congrats.
I'm interested to know how you found one - I was told that there weren't any practicing privately any more!

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#14 of 16 Old 10-27-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegoat View Post
I'm interested to know how you found one - I was told that there weren't any practicing privately any more!
Oh they are definitely out there, you just have to be determined and dig around to find them! I contacted an birth organization and pleaded my case because I had a c-section with my 1st son so I reaaally didn' t want to give birth at the hospital. luckily they referred me !

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#15 of 16 Old 01-05-2011, 02:20 PM

We also recently lost access to our midwifery care, hopefully (but not certainly) temporarily.  I had planned a home birth after a successful one in 2008, when the midwives were still working privately. It seems highly unlikely things will be improved to that degree by my due date (April). It's a very discouraging situation right now.

#16 of 16 Old 01-15-2011, 10:02 PM

Just to clarify, my homebirth was in Montreal not Halifax.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page