Any Montreal moms who meet up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if there's a Montreal-area Mothering group out there. It's so nice to read about mothers who don't follow doctor's orders to a T--and can grin and roll their eyes at bossy visiting nurses. Other than with a few like-minded friends, this is the first place I don't have to explain my choices or get weird looks.

Hope to speak to some of you out there!

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 48 Old 07-13-2010, 04:28 PM

i would also love to know if there's a montreal-area mothering group. that would be great! you're lucky enough to have a few like minded friends.......all the moms i know cant believe the choices i make (co-sleeping, extended bf, delaying vaxes....)that's why i love this forum.

hope something comes up...i'll keep checking this thread
#3 of 48 Old 07-13-2010, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Woo--another Montreal Mom! Hopefully we can find out tribe and all meet one day!

Woman, Wife, Mom to beautiful DD (10/14/09), Copywriter, occasionally tearing my hair out but usually pretty happy about it all
#4 of 48 Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 PM

I'm new to Montreal (From New Zealand) and finding a Montreal mothering meet up group would be awesome.
I also find I get some weird looks from people here too!
Yes, I am confident about giving birth at home and I much prefer to be under the care of a midwife than an OBGYN.
No, I don't believe giving birth has to always be painful and traumatic.

It would be great to share experiences and ideas about parenting with some like minded Mamas!
#5 of 48 Old 07-18-2010, 02:14 AM

Hi everyone,

I run a babywearing group out in the Plateau. Our next meeting will be Tues July 27 at 13h in the afternoon. For the summer, I don't have access to the YMCA du Parc because of summer camps, so this meet-up will be held at Melons & Clementines, a store specializing in all things breastfeeding out in NDG, not far from parc Girouard.

Hope you can make it and we can meet IRL

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#6 of 48 Old 07-18-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm in the Plateau, too! I'll try to make the next meetup (although I don't exclusively babywear--she's a sweaty baby and this heat makes is difficult!). It'll be fun to meet everyone!

#7 of 48 Old 07-18-2010, 05:35 PM

Oh bummer..I would love to meet up too but we'll be out of town camping that week Maybe we can do it again another time down the road....

Glad to know I'm not the only "Crazy Crunchy" out there in Mtl
I grew up in Mtl but just moved back after living in Portland, Oregon for almost 8 years (where hubby is from) where it is super easy to be crunchy and have had a harder time finding affordable crunchy alternatives here especially regarding food. So I'd love to pick your brains for ideas! I'm super happy to have found some milk that is as close to "raw" as can legally be sold in a store. It's organic, non-homogenized, and pasteurized at low temperatures and tastes so yummy! And it's the same price as organic milk at Loblaws! I found it at "A Votre Sante" in Westmount. Just thought I'd share!

Hope to meet some of you soon!

All natural, hazelwood & Baltic amber necklaces that relieve eczema, reflux, teething pain, migraines, etc. We have Soap Nuts too!www.hazelaid.com
#8 of 48 Old 07-18-2010, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not super-crunchy, just doing a few things differently. I guess I've got crunchy tendencies! I find Montreal is pretty open, and a relatively easy place to be a little different when it comes to anything--including raising your kids.

#9 of 48 Old 07-19-2010, 01:50 PM

whee! montreal moms!

i don't really know anyone in montreal, especially not moms. we moved here when i was pregnant in the fall... all our family and friends are back in ontario.

felixmom, i will definitely try to make that babywearing meeting.

i'd love to have a group to spend time with once in a while. my dp works and i get bored being by myself all day...
#10 of 48 Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 PM

We're also new to Montreal. DH has been here since January. The kids and I joined him last month. We haven't met any other families yet and I'd love to start getting to know some people. We live in Point St Charles.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#11 of 48 Old 07-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
We're also new to Montreal. DH has been here since January. The kids and I joined him last month. We haven't met any other families yet and I'd love to start getting to know some people. We live in Point St Charles.
We're actually moving to Pointe St Charles on August 1rst! How funny! Maybe we could meet up at a park or something sometime after we're settled... We're in Ville Emard right now (near Lasalle) and just needed a bigger place. My kiddos are dd 5 1/2, ds 4, & dd 2 1/2. I grew up in Mtl but have lived in the States for the last 8 years or so. Where did you guys move from?

All natural, hazelwood & Baltic amber necklaces that relieve eczema, reflux, teething pain, migraines, etc. We have Soap Nuts too!www.hazelaid.com
#12 of 48 Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSurrender View Post
We're actually moving to Pointe St Charles on August 1rst! How funny! Maybe we could meet up at a park or something sometime after we're settled... We're in Ville Emard right now (near Lasalle) and just needed a bigger place. My kiddos are dd 5 1/2, ds 4, & dd 2 1/2. I grew up in Mtl but have lived in the States for the last 8 years or so. Where did you guys move from?
Definitely post back here or send me a PM once you're settled. It would be great to get together.

DH and I are both originally from Halifax. We were living in Seattle though, and for a short time in San Diego.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#13 of 48 Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
Definitely post back here or send me a PM once you're settled. It would be great to get together.

DH and I are both originally from Halifax. We were living in Seattle though, and for a short time in San Diego.
Sounds good...I'll PM you sometime in early august We lived in Portland, OR right between both locations where you lived...funny

#14 of 48 Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM

Hey everyone! I am part of a group of moms. The info is on the site meetup.org. it is the conscious/intuitive mothering group.
#15 of 48 Old 09-10-2010, 08:58 AM

I'd love to meet up with some mamas in Montreal. I'm about to have my first baby..... today is my due date actually! It's a boy!!! I'm sorta in between crunchy and mainstream.
#16 of 48 Old 09-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Hi I am on my maternity leave now and am definitely keen for meeting up! My son was born at home in July. He will be 2 months soon and I also have a 3.5 year old son. I was involved in a play group in the spring in the Mile end but they took a break for the summer and now it seems to have fizzled out a bit. Please mail me if there is anything going on. Sheena

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#17 of 48 Old 09-22-2010, 01:19 AM

Hi again everyone,

Looks like fall is in the air...

Our BWing meetings are back again at YMCA du Parc. Just had one today, and next one is scheduled for Tues Oct 5, 10h-11h30. Hope to meet some of you IRL

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#18 of 48 Old 09-26-2010, 10:21 PM

Hi!
Loved reading this thread as we are likely relocating to Montreal (from NY) in about six months... Happy to know there will be moms "like me"- any suggestions on where to live? I have a (currently) 4 yr old and 16 month old- will want a good kindergarten and a neighborhood with stuff for families... Any ideas? Hopefully I can seek out some of your meetups when we arrive
Thanks for any suggestions you can offer!
Shayna
#19 of 48 Old 09-26-2010, 10:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Shayna!

We're in the Plateau, and love it. It's definitely not "roomy", but there are a lot of kids around with tons of parks, stores, restaurants, and places to meet other moms. A lot of it's in French, though...

#20 of 48 Old 09-27-2010, 12:10 PM

don't let now knowing french scare you away from an area though. i've been here for 7 years and haven't picked up much at all yet.

Plateau and Mile End are pretty nice areas,trendy with a lot to do day and night. A little more expensive as well. I live in Verdun,cheaper places to rent and there is a nice little shopping area that has pretty much whatever you need in terms of groceries,banks,pharmacies etc... There are even a few small places to get organic fruits and veggies. There's also a nice waterfront area that I just found that has a great park for the kids.

If you check out http://www.stm.info/English/metro/a-mapmet.htm this bus/metro website and click on a metro station it will take you to a page that tells you a little about that area above.
#21 of 48 Old 09-28-2010, 11:15 AM

we live in rosemont area. very french, but very affordable and close to downtown and plateau. lots of parks, LOTS of families, good transit accessibility. NDG and the west side are much more anglo-friendly, but doesn't have the same transit accessibility. i really like where we live, but since i speak barely any french at all and my husband's isn't that great either, i think we will be relocating closer to the west side when our lease is up. i'll miss being on a metro line and our cheap apartment, but it'll be really nice to be near english services.
#22 of 48 Old 09-28-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverFish View Post
NDG and the west side are much more anglo-friendly, but doesn't have the same transit accessibility.
That's true for the west island and such but NDG is actually very accessible. I grew up in NDG (though we now live in Pointe St Charles) and it has a ton of buses (the 105 being one of the buses that comes the most often of just about any bus line in Mtl) and if you're not on the far west of NDG, you're no more than 10 minutes from either Vendome or Villa-Maria metro. I took the bus & metro everywhere growing up and never found it inconvenient at all. It's a great neighborhood though I believe it has gotten a little more pricey since my time there

#23 of 48 Old 09-28-2010, 07:01 PM

SilverFish,

PM me!! We live in Rosemont too (and I am anglo).

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#24 of 48 Old 10-06-2010, 04:01 PM

We live in Pointe St. Charles too. I like that it's very affordable despite being close to downtown. I like that there is an English school and a French school walking distance from our house. There is a Y here. There is a library and a health clinic. People are friendly, and it seems to be an area where French and English exist well together. The neighbourhood is quite socially-minded and prone to activism too.

The criticisms of Pointe St Charles are fair though. Transit is not great here compared to other parts of the city. There are a limited number of services here compared to other areas as well. It's not horrible if you come from a town or a small city, but it isn't great when you look at some other parts of Montreal.

We end up at the Plateau a lot. I prefer Jean-Talon market to Atwater (which you can walk to from Pointe St Charles).

Verdun does have a nice little shopping area, and a lovely park with a splash pad. When we don't go downtown to shop we go to Verdun. The Maxi there and the IGA at Charlevoix Metro station are our two closest grocery stores.

#25 of 48 Old 10-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Shayna
Another nice area to live is Villeray, I have been here for 2 years now and it is great. It is just a bit north of the mile end and the plateau. Beautiful farmers market near by and many parks including park Jarry which is big and a great place for kids, its quiet and lots of families live here. It is also cheaper than the plateau or mile end. Good luck with your move!

Canadian mom of Myron born in Japan, March 2007. Our second son born at home, wonderful HBAC in July 2010. I am a jeweller, I love creating things!

1***5****10****15****20****25****30****35**coolshine.gif*40****45, Due June 10th, 2014

#26 of 48 Old 10-08-2010, 10:05 PM

Are we having a little Montreal Mama meet up anytime soon? I've met one mama so far and it was great,but I'd love to meet more and I think she would as well.

Amy when is the next baby wearing group?
#27 of 48 Old 10-27-2010, 10:18 AM

there are some mom's who have been meeting friday mornings from 10-12 ish at La Tasse Gamine on st. viateur and du parc. the new mama kid cafe. I met them once and they have babies in the 3-5 month age. I will go again this week. I brought my 3.5 year old son last fri as well and he loves it there. Hope to meet more of you soon! ~Sheena

#28 of 48 Old 10-29-2010, 08:23 PM

If anyone's interested I just made a group and a page (b/c I don't like the new style for groups) called Mamas Helping Mamas (Montreal) for Montreal mamas to lend support to one another. I'm really hoping to create a nice place for us to meet and exchange childcare,clothing and support.

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...6238351?v=wall

Hope this link works!
#29 of 48 Old 10-30-2010, 01:43 AM

MamitaM, Next babywearing meet-up is Tues Nov 2 at YMCA du Parc, 10h-11h30. Hope to meet some of you IRL

I've been to La Tasse Gamine, it's just half a block north of the YMCA. $2.50 to use the play area, otherwise buy food and drink adding up to $7+. They have a teeny boutique selling odds and ends of mom & baby stuff too.

#30 of 48 Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 AM

i was at la tasse gamine when you were there too, felixmom! i actually don't like the place too much... it's kind of cold and dark and not that cozy.

if anyone is interested, there are lots of moms at melons and clementines on sherbrooke. we've been kind of changing our days around, but there are people there most days of the week, and everyone is very friendly. we just had a lovely halloween party there on friday. lots of fun! if you want to meet up there some time, just pm me and i'll let you know the next time we are meeting up. but really, there are people there all the time, so you could just go and introduce yourself whenever.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page