Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Colourful leaves and tangible mists begin to Fall - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 208 Old 10-11-2010, 10:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
juju_mom & Jennifer

Good to 'see' you here, Jen

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 208 Old 10-11-2010, 11:41 PM

Jennifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juju_mom View Post
My daughter is 2.5. She is not an "average" toddler. She interacts and plays with 4 year olds up and up. I'll be staying close to Central Park Maybe we could plan to get together.
That would be great! We often walk to Central Park from our house, so it's a great place to meet up for us.
Wednesday's and Saturday's are our free days

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#63 of 208 Old 10-12-2010, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Hello, and welcome Juju_mama and Jennifer!

Gosh, this group has been quiet lately... busy busy time!

Anyone interested in a Mom's Night Out, perhaps mid to late November? There was some talk last year about maybe organizing an outing to Rooster's Country Cabaret in Pitt Meadows for mechanical bull riding and line dancing. (I was driving by tonight and suddenly remembered.) Thursdays are no cover, or Sundays they have a mechanical surf board. Or we could go to Boone County in Coquitlam where they have two-step lessons on Thursdays (not so fun without partners...) but no mechanical bull.

Any other suggestions?

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#64 of 208 Old 10-12-2010, 04:40 PM

Lori, I'd come out if it was a Sun or Mon and in Vancouver...or at least transit friendly

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#65 of 208 Old 10-14-2010, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

If anyone's interested, the Extra Foods at Champlain Mall (54th and Kerr) is renovating, and DH discovered they were clearing out 1L Mason Jars - he paid less than $2 for a dozen jars. I rinse them with 10% bleach solution, allow to dry and fill with tap water for emergencies (no need to buy bottles of water for drinking). Lifetime supply of "bottled" emergency water! Just re-rinse and replace every 6 months or so...

Or you can use them for canning...

#66 of 208 Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 AM

Oh, I'd love some jars, and at that price too! Unfortunately its too far for me to go.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#67 of 208 Old 10-15-2010, 01:58 AM

i'd love to get together and meet up with some people. I would be more into a moms night out at a restraunt or coffee. but burnaby to maple ridge would be easier for us to come

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#68 of 208 Old 10-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Hi Everyone,
I was just cruising Craigslist and came across an ad for cheap apples. This is the place where I get all my fruit and veggies for canning so I know its the real deal.

"Okanagan unwax Golden Delicious, Macintosh apples available for cast lot sale, 20lbs box for $7.00. works out to be 35 cents per lb. LIMITED TIME OFFER!"

Here's the original ad: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...005153882.html

Happy eating!:

#69 of 208 Old 10-18-2010, 03:40 PM

so.... there's this happening today....

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#70 of 208 Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 PM

Congrats Tiffani!

We are leaving the country for a few months Nov-Feb and are looking for a house/dog sitter... we live on 5 acres out by Rolley Lake Provincial Park. House is child friendly... dog is a medium size lab and is also very friendly... we have people who can check on our house but usually find someone to stay here for most or all for the time we are gone... we have a few friends who are interested but no one has committed yet and we are suddenly leaving in about 3 weeks! pm me is you are interested!!!

Jen Wife to Jason and Mom to Cassidy 10y Malcolm8y & Lucas 5y
living in Canada and Costa Rica and slowly exploring the world
#71 of 208 Old 10-25-2010, 04:50 PM

tiffani, you must be over the moon!

hey mamas, we talked about earrings recently...BOTH my girls got pierced this weekend, in celebration of 5 and 10...(i know, 5, so young! those poor first children have to pave the way!!)

we were given some kind of solution to clean their ears 3 times a day...what's your suggestion? sea salt in water? calendula? one of the tall one's looks a bit red today and i'm worrying!

we are all under the weather so it wasn't the best time to pick to poke holes through my children but it's done now and i hope to keep them healthy.

wow, i'm finding these euro-bugs really vicious, i've been so sick for over a week and still have colours coming out of my chest (!)...any suggestions? flowmom, i know you had pneumonia, what did you do to save yourself?!

we are waving goodbye to london after two years having great fun living here, and moving out to the gorgeous countryside in sussex, i think i found our house today. it is amazing. lots of homelearners around, and lots of beautiful places to walk, but still an hours train to london for the museums.

x
#72 of 208 Old 10-25-2010, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I would use sea salt in water, that's what I used the last couple of times I was pierced.

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#73 of 208 Old 10-26-2010, 09:00 PM

That is very exciting news, artparent! Will you have room for a garden? ;-)

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#74 of 208 Old 10-27-2010, 06:30 AM

thanks sheila, we're going to do salt for a while. x

mariah, the garden is rambling, massive thing and has an old veg patch and a glass house, and a run for little animals they said we could use for hens...! but the deer come up from the forest at the bottom of the garden so we need a good fence. not to mention bunnies. properly peter rabbit, i think. there is even a trampoline and a swing, so we should be alright it is north facing, but i've worked around that before...the patch is furthest out in a good spot. i am very excited about it!

goodness, still so sick, any suggestions to keep me off antibiotics? oil of oregano? huge amounts of vitamin c? oh i know, actually lying down for awhile instead of running around like a crazy person?

#75 of 208 Old 10-27-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artparent View Post
goodness, still so sick, any suggestions to keep me off antibiotics? oil of oregano? huge amounts of vitamin c? oh i know, actually lying down for awhile instead of running around like a crazy person?

All of the above!!
Get well soon

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#76 of 208 Old 10-28-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:

Not sure that you can get it there but Nin Jiom cough syrup has always been good to save me from a tough chest cold.

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#77 of 208 Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
mariah, the garden is rambling, massive thing and has an old veg patch and a glass house, and a run for little animals they said we could use for hens...! but the deer come up from the forest at the bottom of the garden so we need a good fence. not to mention bunnies. properly peter rabbit, i think. there is even a trampoline and a swing, so we should be alright it is north facing, but i've worked around that before...the patch is furthest out in a good spot. i am very excited about it!
that sounds so great!

Quote:
goodness, still so sick, any suggestions to keep me off antibiotics?
Yes to the oregano, also garlic. I crush a clove and just stick it as far back in my mouth as I can and wash it down quickly. Takes me forever to work up to it I'd also use eucalyptus oil in a diffuser. I hope you feel better soon!

#78 of 208 Old 10-30-2010, 02:32 PM

thanks mamas! i seem to be on the mend. x

#79 of 208 Old 10-31-2010, 04:57 AM

elisa, that sounds awesome! too bad we aren't flying through london with a long layover, or we could come see you! we transit through amsterdam, with not enough time to do anything, sadly. not that we really want to go touristing around in the middle of such a crazy journey -- maybe if mark were still with me we'd brave it -- the goal at this point is definitely HOME!!!

we went out for dinner last night with the family who is staying in these apartments and is a few weeks ahead of us in the process, to a lovely little Italian restaurant where there is a huge playground and a woman to watch your kids while you eat dinner. of course, our kids are all fairly new to us, so not really wanting to be out of sight of us, but they did go play for a bit, I got to enjoy a really delicious pineapple coconut mojito, and the kids were thrilled with pizza and coke, and I had a delicious chicken breast in lemon sauce, mashed potatoes and salad... and I didn't have to make it or clean it up, or deal with kids clawing at me while I try to get them food!! hooray! the drive there was NUTS, I can't believe the roads here -- more potholes than road most of the time, and no real lanes to speak of, people walking on the side of the road, other people selling you things every time you stop (that's how you buy minutes for your phone, from the guys at intersections selling minutes) and 12 of us squeezed into one small SUV-type car that is meant to hold 6 passengers plus the driver. you just hold your babies on your laps and hope for the best! The air quality here is awful, and my nose is always caked with gunk inside -- haven't been able to recover from airplane nose. I can't wait to get home where there is clean water, clean air, no deadly mosquitoes, and I can drive my own car wherever I want, whenever I want. I hate to sound so whiny -- we met a woman from the okanagon last night who is living here for a year with her 4 kids (her husband passed away and she has friends here, so decided to come live here for a year) and I think when you're more on your own terms, and can really settle in it's a much nicer stay. adopting a 3 year old is hard work, too, and while I'm really glad that the kids can go out and play at the small playground here, and there is a pool, but marvin is a crazy busy kid (hoping he'll relax a bit and calm down -- his energy feels really frantic) and this little apartment just doesn't offer that much to distract him from seeing what he can get away with. I'm not feeling well either (minor yuck feeling, I think mostly from the air quality and exhaustion and stress)
gotta run, kids gone wild...

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#80 of 208 Old 10-31-2010, 01:26 PM

How amazing to read of your adventures, tiffani, and that you are all finally together as a family!! Looking forward to hearing more...best wishes to all of you!

artparent, how wonderful! country living for you now, eh? and the English countryside is just so beautiful...sigh!

and speaking of gardening, I'm halfway through digging 800 sq ft of garden space. I'm making 6 raised beds, and our soil is so rocky that it is really hard physical work to dig up the beds. Luckily, when the rocks are picked out the soil itself is quite lovely. I'm using the method of Steve Solomon in his book Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades (can't recommend this highly enough to anybody living in this region). When I'm done digging the beds I'll seed them with a cover crop so they'll be all ready for Spring!

In other farm news, we finally had our logs milled (the ones that came down when we cleared land for our field). Two guys came with a portable sawmill and we now have three huge piles of lumber (15 - 20 feet long 2x4's, 2x6's, and 6x6's). We're going to build a small barn with the wood after it dries out. There were also lots of scraps (the edges of the logs) which I'm going to use as boards for fencing around my new garden. We have some thin poles from smaller trees I can use as posts. Should be rather "rustic"-looking!

On the bright side of all this hard work, I've lost a few pounds, lol.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#81 of 208 Old 10-31-2010, 02:40 PM

Wow Tiffani, it is so great to hear updates about how things are going. It's too bad you couldn't have more help over there. Any idea how long you'll have to be over there? Two more weeks?

Mariah, it's great to hear updates about your place too. What an amazing garden you are going to have

Elisa, your adventures sound great too. It sounds like you are making more connections in the homelearning community there?

I just realized how many of the original Vancouver MDC'ers have moved away. Tiffani, Mariah, Elisa, Sheila, Erica, Kazia, and Fern. Jen, seems like your gone too- in Costa Rica half the year, right? Did I forget anyone? There's so many that are still in Van area, but aren't posting anymore...busy lives? That is sure my problem with posting

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#82 of 208 Old 10-31-2010, 04:22 PM

sorry if I'm totally crashing this thread...I'm a mama in Penticton, BC thinking about moving to van. DH works in the wine industry, dd is 8 mo...any encouragement or tips mamas? I have heard van is verry expensive...we actually know no one there, we're from nova scotia....where would a mama start, what do you love about the city?

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
#83 of 208 Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
I just realized how many of the original Vancouver MDC'ers have moved away. Tiffani, Mariah, Elisa, Sheila, Erica, Kazia, and Fern.
I seriously felt like I was scaring people off for a while there. Every time I felt like I was finally starting to get to know someone, they'd vanish! It was a bit unnerving. (Thanks to Hula Hoot, I'm finally over that.)

Quote:
There's so many that are still in Van area, but aren't posting anymore...busy lives? That is sure my problem with posting
Busy, and we've been sick pretty much since the beginning of September. I spend lots of time online, but don't seem to be able to put together coherent conversations, yk?

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#84 of 208 Old 11-01-2010, 03:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm not going anywhere! (Much as I occasionally have fleeting fancies of doing so, I think the furthest we might go is New West!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulawoman View Post
sorry if I'm totally crashing this thread...I'm a mama in Penticton, BC thinking about moving to van. DH works in the wine industry, dd is 8 mo...any encouragement or tips mamas? I have heard van is verry expensive...we actually know no one there, we're from nova scotia....where would a mama start, what do you love about the city?
Well, it's an awesome city, especially for crunchy-granola types. But it *is* very expensive, mostly housing-wise. Mind you, housing is pretty pricey all over the province, partly as a result of the real estate market here. If you're going to be renting, check the Craigslist ads to see what current prices are. As an example, rent is about $1000 for a 2 bedroom basement suite on the East side of the city. A main floor 2 bedroom might go for $1200 in the same area. There are a few really sketchy areas, but most are fine. We used to live right near Kingsway and Broadway, which some might consider sketchy, but we LOVED it. Just beware of what seems like a super good deal. Either it leaks or people are selling crack outside the door. (Or they might just be really nice people looking for their pick of tenants.) If you're buying, then of course MLS will be your friend.

What do I love about the city? The beautiful sunny days, where people are out and about walking all over the place. The misty days where they do the same. In our neighbourhood, it appears to be a very popular thing to go walking around the high school track in the evenings. Lots of parks. Lots of different kinds of people, and a mostly live-and-let-live attitude. Tons of different activities, which make great places to meet people. Oh, and this little tribe!

#85 of 208 Old 11-01-2010, 03:31 PM

I love that you can be car-less in Vancouver quite easily. There are car co-ops too in case you need a vehicle every so often.

I have lived all over Vancouver and every place is different.

I've lived in Kitsilano (West Side), Marpole, West End (downtown), Mt Pleasant, Commercial Dr., Hastings Sunrise and now Collingwood area. My dh lived in North Van so I am familliar with some of that area too.

I love Collingwood area. It is still quite affordable for Vancouver. And I can walk everywhere. Taking the skytrain to downtown is simple and easy and taking it to Metrotown mall in Burnaby is even easier.

Rents are anywhere from $800-$1000 for a 2 bedroom, and $900-$1300 for a 3 bedroom, it all depends how new or well kept the unit is.

Here's one in this area: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...036076636.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...959588492.html

Commercial Dr is also nice:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...035144657.html
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...036250779.html

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#86 of 208 Old 11-01-2010, 04:05 PM

Tiffani, thanks for the update! I'm so glad your kids are all with you

Mariah, your garden sounds like it's shaping up beautifully! We are hoping to move in the new year to a place with space to garden. Still in the duncan area though.

doulawoman, I really don't think it costs much more to live in Vancouver than Pen. I've lived in Kelowna and Summerland. Buying a house is more in Van, but rents are not too different, and other costs are very comparable.

#87 of 208 Old 11-01-2010, 07:10 PM

I'm still here (if I even count as an original). I don't think we'll be going anywhere anytime soon.

I haven't posted much because since we've started HS-ing, I've never been so busy. Most days we're out from 9am to 3pm, which leaves me very little time to do the stuff I need to at home, to get by.

I'm *still* trying to get over to Hula Hoot, even though I've been saying that for a year now. Its just that by the time that specific Friday rolls around, we either have prior plans or the kids/I are too pooped to go out of the house again.

#88 of 208 Old 11-01-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
I haven't posted much because since we've started HS-ing, I've never been so busy. Most days we're out from 9am to 3pm, which leaves me very little time to do the stuff I need to at home, to get by.
Yeah, not quite sure why it's called homeschooling !

#89 of 208 Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellp View Post
I'm still here (if I even count as an original). I don't think we'll be going anywhere anytime soon.
You were here before me, so if I do, then you certainly do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea island mama View Post
Yeah, not quite sure why it's called homeschooling !
I know! We now have activities out of the house 4 days a week, not counting my usual errands and visiting. Feels good to be doing stuff though.

#90 of 208 Old 11-01-2010, 11:52 PM

You're all very active. We have out-of-the-house stuff three days a week (one of them just ended), which are all short classes. We also do some Ecology Center programs (about one a month), behind the scenes at the farm (one a month) and we're supposed to be doing a weekly "field trip" (Science World, the aquarium, etc.), but that hasn't happened yet. I don't know how you all do it. I'm running on empty, and I'm not doing much.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page