Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Colourful leaves and tangible mists begin to Fall - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 208 Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Mamas!

I'm relatively new here - mostly posting in the DDCs. I'm 16 weeks pregnant, and my husband and I are just getting ready to move from Surrey (where my job was before I went on mat leave) back to the Boundary area in Burnaby, close to Central Park.

I've subbed the thread, and I'm excited to have found the tribe!

#122 of 208 Old 12-14-2010, 06:48 PM

Welcome imogenlily! I live in that area too only on the Vancouver side. 

Well we've moved into my cousins basement suite, it's quite lovely, all new, actually it's not all finished. We don't have some things up yet, like cabinet doors, crown moulding, some vent covers. 

Its really nice to be somewhere without stairs, and hardwood floors are the BEST! It's also great being so close to my cousin and her two boys. I can just send Cayden over whenever, it's so easy.

We are finally unpacked, and I'm slightly bummed about the rain today. I'm loving the holiday season though, so I'm enjoying everything else ;)

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#123 of 208 Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM

Chicken  Pox party !partytime.gif

Hello Vancouver mamas!

Gosh, I haven't been here for a few years now.This tribe is getting so big .love.gif.

I feel that I need to share this news with you as I know some of you here did not vaccinate  your kids against chicken pox and wanted them to be exposed to it...well ,DS1 just got the pox last night and my youngest might get it very soon. 

I know the timing and all that as we were supposed to flight out to Mexico for 2 weeks and now we are staying home and having a chicken pox party, yippee!

So drop me an email if you want to bring your kids over.

Bye for now,

Chi

#124 of 208 Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Hope you're settled into your new home, Dawn!  It's always fun to set up house again ... at least in my opinion, I think it's great! 

Can I ask about leaving the co-op?  Did the co-opness of it all have anything to do with your decision to move?  I only ask because we're on several lists for co-ops in our neighbourhood and am always interested in people's experience who've BTDT.

And welcome to sewknitty and imogen!  Congratulations on your pregnancy, imogen.  Are you already on leave? 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#125 of 208 Old 12-15-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

And welcome to sewknitty and imogen!  Congratulations on your pregnancy, imogen.  Are you already on leave? 

Yeah, I have some bad SPD and my job involved long days walking around in a barn (I taught lifeskills to young women and my job took place in part at a therapeutic riding program for special needs kids), so I had to take early leave.

#126 of 208 Old 12-15-2010, 04:02 PM

Ah, that makes sense.  You know about Medical EI then right? If not, PM me and I will be happy to fill you in.  I'm sure you're all over it, but I love for mamas to know about this option as it allows us our full 52 weeks home with our infant while still getting benefits for the weeks preceding the birth.  Hope your SPD pain is manageable?

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#127 of 208 Old 12-16-2010, 09:13 AM

For us, leaving the co-op was 95% money issues, we just cannot afford the rent increases. When we moved into our 3 bd, only 4 years ago it was $805, and soon it will be over $1300. 

5% of why we left was co-op related, but that is just the exhaustion of participating WAY more then our 4 hours for 4 years and having most of theco-op not do their share. It's hard work, and it starts to get at you.

We have our name in some co-ops but we are really picky about each one. They need to fit this criteria:

-location - we want a forested area

-low rent - We are looking to pay between $600 and $1000 for a 3 bed, and we don't mind a huge share purchase.

-high participation

-knowledge of big expenses that might raise rents (leaky condo that would need to be fixed and rents would be increased)

I loved a lot about our co-op but I love that we were able to move in with family too. 

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#128 of 208 Old 12-16-2010, 05:35 PM

So mid pregnancy, ten days before Christmas, the landlord at the place I was supposed to move into gave our Burnaby apartment to someone else (arrrrrrrgh), and I spent the last 24 hours scrambling to find a new one.

I ended finding an adorable but tiny apartment for our little family, about a block off Commercial Drive. I am SO excited to be moving into that area, especially after being tucked away in the 'burbs for too long!

#129 of 208 Old 12-16-2010, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

What a pain in the butt!!! Thank goodness you found a silver lining :)  Pre-kids we looked at a sweet apartment on commercial and I later I really wished I'd been able to take it.  

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#130 of 208 Old 12-16-2010, 08:52 PM

Oh, I know of a place coming up as of Feb 1 with two bedrooms just a block off the drive for $1300.  Too late for you?

We're just off the Drive too.  Welcome to the neighbourhood!  It ROCKS.  Especially for young families.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imogenlily View Post

So mid pregnancy, ten days before Christmas, the landlord at the place I was supposed to move into gave our Burnaby apartment to someone else (arrrrrrrgh), and I spent the last 24 hours scrambling to find a new one.

I ended finding an adorable but tiny apartment for our little family, about a block off Commercial Drive. I am SO excited to be moving into that area, especially after being tucked away in the 'burbs for too long!

#131 of 208 Old 12-21-2010, 09:16 AM

Did anyone catch the Lunar Eclipse last night?  I went out on my deck at around 11:45 and I didn't see anything. greensad.gif Was I way too early?  

It was so dark I couldn't even see the moon anywhere.  I don't have a good view of the sky as my neighbors' houses are too close and so I don't get a horizon.

I wanted to stay up later but I'm battling a sore throat, and felt lousy so I just called it a night after that. 

I can just imagine what people of the ancient civilizations would have thought about that, and what meanings they would have drawn from it....

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#132 of 208 Old 12-21-2010, 04:57 PM

I tried to see it but it was too cloudy, and I wasn't willing to keep going out every 15 minutes hoping for a glimpse :(

#133 of 208 Old 12-25-2010, 10:23 PM

merry christmas everyone! I hope everyone is safe and well :)

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#134 of 208 Old 12-27-2010, 02:34 PM

Any suggestions for low-cost ways to entertain oneself around the Drive?

#135 of 208 Old 12-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Hi Mamasan! How nice to "see" you again. love.gif

We've just returned from a cruise to Mexico. I'd never been on a cruise before. It was wonderful having so much freedom for the kids. DD had a room card and basically had the run of the ship, coming and going as she pleased. DS loved the kids' club, and they were open 14 hrs a day, so DH and I got to spend a fair amount of couple time, and could attend shows in the evening. 

It was a lovely trip but we're happy to be back home. Nothing like traveling to make you appreciate how beautiful it is here! :)

Happy Christmas and New Year to everyone!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#136 of 208 Old 01-04-2011, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

It's been quiet lately!  I seem to have missed a notification and am now "behind", but I'll just jump in where we are...

I have two questions:

1.  Calvin wants to take swimming lessons, but his skin really really hates the chlorine.  I'm thinking get private lessons from somebody at a lake or beach somewhere this Summer?  Any other ideas? 

2.  We put our money where our mouths were a couple of years ago and invested in a tankless hot-water heater (a Navien, if that means anything to you).  But it has never worked quite right.  It takes a long time to get warm water, and even then, the temperature varies uncomfortably and sometimes it has an "ignition error" and turns off completely.  Sucks if you're just getting ready to have a shower, sucks even more mid-shower.  irked.gif  It produces a slight gas odour outside - unfortunately, right where the only open play area is in our complex, so all the kids play in the driveways - and Terasen has come and measured it, and it's putting out over 500 ppm of carbon monoxide (the safe upper limit is 200).  Not a huge issue outside, but they said it should be fixed as soon as possible  Installer came by soon after, and said there was a piece of plastic film partially blocking the air intake, so he put an elbow on the intake so anything that sticks to it once will fall off, rather than stay there.  But I'm sure he was spouting baloney; he also said the "danger" notice from Terasen was garbage and that all the tankless hot water heaters put out 5-600 ppm of CO.  The latest Terasen guy who came by said that he thought maybe we weren't getting enough gas pressure to the water heater (they take much higher gas pressure than traditional water heaters and furnaces), and that it probably should never have been installed without upgrading the gas inputs (then baffled me with lingo and numbers).  And changing the setup also affects the other 2 units that are part of that input system.  (Can you see the dollar signs piling up?)  We were also told last year, when the installing company first came out to investigate, that the location is less than ideal because it's right behind where the dryer is, and the venting goes right by it, and the lint gets into the air intake and may be affecting the little burner part (we had that part replaced under warrantee).  Yet another reason why it probably shouldn't have been installed there.  Would love to talk to anyone here (or anyone any of you know) who either has such a hot water heater or knows something about gas (pressure, pipes, that stuff) - I need to know more about this!!!  I'm starting to get hopmad.gif  Stupid finicky new-fangled things!

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#137 of 208 Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imogenlily View Post

Any suggestions for low-cost ways to entertain oneself around the Drive?

Check Britannia community centre/library/rink - very happenin' place.  Also Trout Lake, but further away.  Also - walking along and people watching! ;)

#138 of 208 Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM

Lori, I was thinking the same thing for my ds, whose eczema reacted very badly to chlorine last summer. I've heard Kits outdoor pool supposedly uses ocean water? Maybe we should team up for lessons this summer at a lake?

Also, for anyone interested in doing Neufeld's Power to Parent part 3, someone I know is hosting a training starting in the next couple weeks on either tu or thu night, at a private home near boundary and hastings. Pm me if interested and I'll put you in touch.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#139 of 208 Old 01-12-2011, 10:02 PM

Happy New Year, everyone! 

I haven't checked in here for a few months...it's all fancied up!

Good to hear from you, Chi  wave.gif.  My kids had chicken pox in December as well.  Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip greensad.gif.

Mariah, that sounds so much better than our cruise a couple of years ago!  The ship was so huge, we couldn't let the kids roam & the kids club was only open in 3-hour chunks, which didn't work with our schedule, so we didn't get much time at all.

Lori, re: #2.  Call Mike Holmes!

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#140 of 208 Old 01-13-2011, 10:14 AM

hello all!

mariah, that sounds wonderful!  where did your boat stop?

lori, isn't eileen dailly pool in burnaby ozonated instead of chlorinated?  or maybe 50/50 or something like that?  it seems like maybe it has some chlorine in it, but it's not too bad -- or can he not stand any chlorine at all?  have you been to eileen dailly and tested it, or called to ask?

the lovely ksenia nominated us for a free photography session (and prints) with haley lorraine photography, and that's happening jan 29th, which is very exciting!  we want to get them done asap, since the kids just came home, but hoping the scenery cooperates, considering it will be winter -- we're going to go to jericho, which is always lovely, so I'm sure it will turn out nice. unless it's raining, in which case I suspect we reschedule. :)  we're all taking turns getting haircuts, since we can't afford more than one per week right now! ;)   mark is working a lot of overtime and picking up extra work with his second job as well, to try to dig us out of this hole -- so thankful he has that option, but we really mostly only see him on weekends these days, which sucks.  then in february he will be working a mandatory 6 day week, which will be great, financially, but a huge bummer for us family-wise!  I'm wanting to take the kids down to chico in feb while he's working such crazy hours, but we're really trying to not spend any money that doesn't NEED to be spent, and gas money to get there is pretty steep, not to mention hotels if we can't just bomb it all in one day...  Living rurally with 4 kids and no extra money to go do fun stuff, while parenting solo 6 days a week, though.... I might NEED to go to chico to introduce the kiddos to family and friends.  My mom and step-dad are moving out of their home of 30 years as well, and need help getting rid of A LOT of stuff, and my mom has offered me all the proceeds of a yard sale if I can pull one off -- so that would pay for the trip, at least... but I'm not actually sure I could do a yard sale with the littles around and no dad to take them off my hands.  I guess the big kids could take them to the park.... hey I know, I'll pay lucy and dexter to take over my mom duties for a few hours each day -- or offer them a percentage of yard sale proceeds -- homelearning math right there!! :)  can you tell I am craving conversation with an actual grown-up? ramble ramble ramble.... thanks for listening! :)

we're also looking into co-ops for when we return to Vancouver, but it's so hard to get in, especially to the ones we want to get into, located mostly near yaletown, science world, and granville island -- mark wants a short commute, and I'm looking forward to living in the city, but we won't be able to afford rent down there unless we're in a co-op.  I mean, we could "afford" it, but we really want to get out of debt, and it will be a long road.... I'm so glad we're out here in the boonies for now, especially with all the snow, it's lots of fun, but we're all getting a little bored and could use some city life!  If this were our very own place, and we would be here a long time, we'd have animals, gardens, cut new trails in the forest, etc, but we're only renting, so it's not truly rural living the way we'd like to do it.   We do have a resident bald eagle family, so that's fun.  Zach and Rose are scared of birds, and one of the adult eagles swooped low through our yard yesterday, and zach said "eagle, GO!!"  like he was waving it away, not like "yeah, go eagle!"  the deer that come through are considered safe now, and they just watch them instead of crying and banging on the sliding glass door to scare them away. :)

the kids are settling in really well.  I can't believe how assertive they both are in getting what they need/want.  I was expecting a lot of things, but "demanding" wasn't one of them!  It's a really good sign, though, and I think it's just part of their personalities, and probably helped them so much in the babies home to be the kinds of kids who will LET YOU KNOW what they want!  they have no shortage of self-confidence, and are just amazing little people.  This assertiveness, though, coupled with the fact that at the babies home they had to fend for themselves a lot of the time, means that they are very grabby, insistent, shrieky, little ones when they see something they want or need.   there is also a huge competitive streak in both of them, so even if they aren't hungry, they still want what others are eating, they want what others are playing with, etc... but only within our own family, so that's good, they're easy in public.  we're all still figuring out the best ways of dealing with these things, but as our relationships grow, the problems lessen, which is great.  we're all very lucky. :)

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#141 of 208 Old 01-13-2011, 10:32 AM

Tiffani, it is so amazing to read about you and your family now, after all those years of waiting, it's finally happened! I'm so happy for all of you. What an adventure!

Speaking of rural living, woke up yesterday to about 18 inches of snow, no power (and therefore no heat or water, since the furnace fan runs on electricity and so does the well pump). Luckily there's a propane stove in our camping trailer so I trudged outside through the snow for that all-important morning cup of tea! The power's usually not off for long, so I bided my time by heading outside and joining our neighbours in digging their son's car out of the snow (he'd gotten stuck on our road). I've never had a real relationship with neighbours before, we're always helping each other out and it's really cool. Anyhoo, when I got back in the power was on, so having learned my lesson I went and primed the pump for our well and voila! running water. Never was a city girl so proud of herself! Eventually we're gonna have to pony up the cash for a backup generator, but for now we're winging it. It's all part of the adventure!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#142 of 208 Old 01-13-2011, 12:18 PM

It's good to see your update Tiffani!  I totally know what you mean about rural living not being the same if you don't have some ownership or freedom to what you want on the land.  We rented on a farm for a while, and we were allowed to have animals, but we would have done a lot more if we owned it... I was constantly thinking to myself all the stuff I would build/change if we owned it!

Mariah, if I woke up to all that snow and no power or water I would probably just cry :lol  You are awesome!  Can you use your atv to plow the driveway?

#143 of 208 Old 01-13-2011, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

I may try Eileen Dailly again - but it's a bit of a nasty drive in rush hour (when swimming lessons would be).  I'm pretty sure it's partially chlorinated, and I think Killarney pool (where we went recently) is the same kind of water system, so I'm not sure it'll make much difference - will have to check on that.  I may also have to look into Kitsilano.  Also a nasty drive in rush hour, but if it's mostly ocean water, that would totally be worthwhile... y'know when it stops being freezing and all.

Tiffani, keep us posted on your adventures!  I love hearing about your littles and how they're settling in and how everyone's doing.

I've been reading your blog Mariah/Piglet68, and I've been completely impressed.  I wouldn't even contemplate that sort of bravery!

I went to a gym "grand opening" last night and I think I may have got suckered.  Or it might be a good deal.  Dunno, but I need to excercise, 'cuz I can't afford to buy more fat yoga pants.  ;)  I had finally started running - despite always saying that it was against my religion - and I sort of liked it, especially the immediacy of it.  But then it make my plantar fasciitis (nasty stabbing pain in the foot) worse and I had to stop.  Bleh.

#144 of 208 Old 01-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Hi Sheila! We could use our ATV, if we had a plow attachment, which we don't, lol. But my car seems to perform very well in snow, and our driveway isn't too bad b/c half of it is covered with trees.

Lori, I loved running but having to keep up with a regular schedule proved difficult, and I only really enjoyed it when I was in peak condition, so I stopped running last year after we moved here. I get a fairly good workout when I'm outside doing farm projects. DH just bought a pedometer, as we're aiming for the "10,000 steps a day" fitness program. Turns out I get most of that when I walk the dog! ;-)

And thanks for the blog comments. It really hasn't required that much bravery - just knowledge, of which I am still sorely lacking when it comes to this country living stuff. But nothing like jumping in with both feet to make for a steep learning curve. It also helps that I just love this lifestyle, so none of it feels like a chore.

#145 of 208 Old 01-13-2011, 08:37 PM

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know of a class for children in Dalcroze Eurythmics in Vancouver?  I have searched online and found nothing!

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

#146 of 208 Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 PM

Wow TIffani, its so great to hear updates from you guys :) Have you connected with any local homelearning families? Or do you know anyone else in the area that can help you out sometimes?

There's a house next door to us thats for rent. It's a 3 bedroom for $1500, near 29th Ave Skytrain.

Our old co-op (Alberni Coop) has rents going up to $1300 in June. 

Try out De Cosmos VIllage Co-op. Large share purchase but DIRT cheap rent. But its on 49th and Boundary in Vancouver. Seriously the 3 bedrroms are $691 a month http://www.chf.bc.ca/pages/directory-coop.asp?CoopID=67

Mariah, that is very cool! I love connecting with neighbors. Good on ya for finding out how to do things. Very inspiring!

Lori, how long do you and Calvin usually spend in the pool? I have found a normal swim is usually 1 hour to 1.5 hours. In that time, MANY people become sensitive to the chemicals. With a lesson its only 30 minutes, and the chemicals are often not so bad in that time. We haven't had a problem with Killarney. And yes Killarney and Eileen Daily are similar with Ozone and Bromine. I used to swim at Kits when growing up, but actually found the chlorine chemicals pretty severe. I always chose to just swim in the ocean.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth

#147 of 208 Old 01-15-2011, 12:19 PM

Wow - I haven't checked into this thread in a long time. It's been busier than it was for a while.

Good to hear from you, Tiffani. I still can't believe you actually have your kids!! It's been quite an adventure, and I'm sure it's just beginning (having the baby isn't exactly the end of the road with bio kids, either, after all). I wish I could help/advise on the housing front, but dh and I are still trying to figure out what we're going to do when ds1 graduates. I think he'll probably stay home for at least another year - he has dreams of attending an expensive private performing arts school in New York, but I don't think it's going to happen - but we only promised to stay here until grad. I like our neighbourhood (less than I did before our awesome corner store and the funky little video place closed) but I don't like our space that much. We are going to declutter and rearrange in a big way, though. Maybe that will help...

Rural life sounds interesting, but I can't even keep up with a 1250 sq.ft. townhouse, so I don't think I'd do well if we had land to look after. It's not very practical for us, anyway - dh really almost needs to be in an urban/semi-urban environment in some ways.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#148 of 208 Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Len

So good to come hear and read new posts!  This board sure has changed in many ways.  With updates in facebook from some of you that I have as friends, I still feel connected :-)

Tiffani, it's great to hear about your adventures.  I'd love to see the pictures and at some point meet your new family in person.

Sheila, congratulations!  (based on the information on your signature belly.gif)

Mariah, where can one read your blog? orngbiggrin.gif

#149 of 208 Old 01-16-2011, 10:27 AM

Lori, we live near Eillen Dailly, so that's where we went, after confirming that with the ozone treatment, they use less chlorine than other pools. We had also done a set of lessons at CG Brown, which seemed to have the same effect. We know a nanny/lifeguard/swim teacher that we might get to do lessons at a lake or in the ocean, maybe this summer.

Mama to my two sweet monkeys - DD '04 and DS '06
#150 of 208 Old 01-16-2011, 05:11 PM

Hi Len! Hope it's okay to post a link here, but my blog is ruralaspirations.wordpress.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page