Vancouver(ish) Tribe: Colourful leaves and tangible mists begin to Fall - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 208 Old 02-05-2011, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

An update from the Waldorf in Vancouver page: 

Our first meeting: Early Waldorf-inspired Education in Vancouver. Please come and invite your friends. Thursday February 17th 7 to 9 p.m. at the Roundhouse Arts and Rec Centre, 181 Roundhouse Mews, Yaletown, Arts and Crafts Room. Come--learn more about Waldorf, the vision for 2011 and beyond, and how you can help. Tell your friends!

#182 of 208 Old 02-06-2011, 02:25 PM

Does anyone have any experience/information about the CEFA junior kindergarten schools in the lower mainland? They seem a bit more academic than what I'm looking for but I've heard some good things about them. Some real life experience with it would be great to hear though!

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#183 of 208 Old 02-06-2011, 02:55 PM

Cattmom, do they have a web site? I can't seem to find it. A friend would be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattmom View Post

An update from the Waldorf in Vancouver page: 

Our first meeting: Early Waldorf-inspired Education in Vancouver. Please come and invite your friends. Thursday February 17th 7 to 9 p.m. at the Roundhouse Arts and Rec Centre, 181 Roundhouse Mews, Yaletown, Arts and Crafts Room. Come--learn more about Waldorf, the vision for 2011 and beyond, and how you can help. Tell your friends!

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#184 of 208 Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 PM

Hi Tricia!

They have a Facebook page that's called "Waldorf in Vancouver," and they have a google group here: http://groups.google.com/group/WaldorfinVan

Cat

#185 of 208 Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM

Carmen358, we looked into CEFA a few years ago and were not impressed. When we talked to parents, few lived up to the academic levels that CEFA people spoke about. The expensive uniforms and staff who appeared very inexperienced turned us off.

If a good preschool is your interest, I would love for something small with loving, caring staff who have a good play based model. In my experience with my children, they learn more and benefit more from this type of program.

#186 of 208 Old 02-16-2011, 11:43 AM

Anyone have a recommendation for an OT (Occupational Therapist) familiar with assessing Sensory Processing Disorder?

Our child has already been diagnosed by the Ped and play therapist, but the OT assessment will make it easier to access services. We are on lengthy waitlist for Coastal Health, but have been told they only do basic assessment/consult due to high demand limited money/resources.

I found one good OT, but the assessment/report is over $1500 which is a bit steep. We don't want to waste money/time on someone inexperienced.

#187 of 208 Old 02-18-2011, 08:54 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hello local lovelies! 

Does anyone have any experience, personal or anecdotal, about birthing with midwives at Saint Paul's?  Also keeping in mind that we are a queer couple.  Any insight would be great!  I aimed for a homebirth last time, but was risked out and ended up at Women's, which was fine.  I'd go back, if we can't have a homebirth this time, but I'm guessing that I won't be able to birth at home this time either.  Anyway, my preferred midwife team doesn't have privileges at Womens, only St. Pauls and RCH (won't set foot in that one due to what I see there as a paramedic).

Any help or thoughts?

Thanks!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#188 of 208 Old 02-18-2011, 09:15 PM

I don't have any experience there (aside from being born there) but congratulations!

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#189 of 208 Old 02-19-2011, 12:19 PM

Congrats!

I used to work at St. Paul's though not in the L&D ward, but I've never heard of anything bad there...  As for your family situation, I think the folks there are quite accepting of all kinds of families.

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#190 of 208 Old 02-19-2011, 02:18 PM

Bloom Midwives near the drive specializes in queer couples and has privileges at St.Pauls.

My cousin had her two kids at St Pauls and loved the fact that they had a pool to labour in, and that you don't have to switch room at all during your stay.

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#191 of 208 Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 PM

I birthed my son at St. Pauls. Although he was a c-section, they were excellent at respecting my wishes to room with him, cosleep, etc. I also love that they used cloth diapers! They basically didn't bug me about any of my choices, and I found it overall to be a very good experience. They even teased my husband when he was with our son during my recovery, asking if he was on "formula patrol". They seemed to be pretty down with breastfeeding, etc. (oh, that's the one "bad" thing, if for some reason you ended up with a c-section, the baby cannot go into the anaesthesia recovery room with you b/c it's for all patients therefore possibly issues of catching something. I was so worried about being apart from him but not only was my husband with him the whole time, I confess it was the only 45 minutes I'd felt truly relaxed and comfortable in months! ;-)

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#192 of 208 Old 02-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastmom View Post

Carmen358, we looked into CEFA a few years ago and were not impressed. When we talked to parents, few lived up to the academic levels that CEFA people spoke about. The expensive uniforms and staff who appeared very inexperienced turned us off.

If a good preschool is your interest, I would love for something small with loving, caring staff who have a good play based model. In my experience with my children, they learn more and benefit more from this type of program.

Thanks for your response! We quickly realized that CEFA is totally not what we are looking for. We have gotten a couple of good leads from an email list I belong to so hopefully something works out for next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Hello local lovelies! 

Does anyone have any experience, personal or anecdotal, about birthing with midwives at Saint Paul's?  Also keeping in mind that we are a queer couple.  Any insight would be great!  I aimed for a homebirth last time, but was risked out and ended up at Women's, which was fine.  I'd go back, if we can't have a homebirth this time, but I'm guessing that I won't be able to birth at home this time either.  Anyway, my preferred midwife team doesn't have privileges at Womens, only St. Pauls and RCH (won't set foot in that one due to what I see there as a paramedic).

Any help or thoughts?

Thanks!

I didn't give birth at St. Paul's but have had surgery there twice and spent a night there when I went through a traumatic miscarriage unfortunately. I think it's an amazing hospital. My partner and I were treated very well and I felt really cared for.

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#193 of 208 Old 02-20-2011, 03:02 PM

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in about St. Paul's!  I really appreciate it.  I've only been there as a paramedic, and while I don't have anything bad to say about it, per se, I was a little concerned about it being a Catholic run hospital, with regards to DP and I being queer.  It sounds as though there's no reason to be concerned.  So we'll keep on track with our preferred midwife team and hope that we end up with my first choice of a homebirth if I don't get risked out first!  (I have seven months to convince DP that all the events of DD's birth would've been managed the same way and by our midwives had we been at home ... wish me luck!)

And Carmen, I'm so glad to hear that what was already a heart-breaking tragedy wasn't made any worse by the staff.  Good to hear. 

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#194 of 208 Old 02-20-2011, 03:08 PM

Starling, can I ask which midwife practice you're going with?

I'm with Beth and Susie at Pomegranate, and they're fantastic.

#195 of 208 Old 02-20-2011, 03:11 PM

Hi Imogenlily ... I'll pm you. 

#196 of 208 Old 02-20-2011, 11:19 PM

re: St. Pauls. Like some other posters, I can't speak to their L&D, as I've never had a baby there. But, my sister was there as a heart patient just over a year ago, and I found the staff really wonderful. And, keep in mind that I'm someone with a bit of a hair trigger "hospital staff are the enemy" reflex, so a good initial impression isn't to be taken for granted, yk? I went back with her for one of her follow up visits, and they were great again. My sister isn't part of a same sex couple, but she's openly antagonistic about religion a lot of the time, and I could see that coming out while she was there (don't know for sure that it did) - it never caused her any problems.

Just based on my impressions, if I had to do it all over, I'd go there instead of my local hospital.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#197 of 208 Old 02-21-2011, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

While St. Paul's is run by a Catholic organization, the staff have just about the same diversity as any other hospital.  And with all their work with HIV patients, as an institution, I'm thinking it's not all that novel a concept to anyone there.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#198 of 208 Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 AM

I've found St. Paul's to be as queer friendly as other hospitals (I've been in a same sex partnership while being treated there, but never had a baby there).

I felt neutral about the level of queer positivity there, but I was concerned with the level of cleanliness.

#199 of 208 Old 02-21-2011, 09:14 AM

Ah, yes, hospital cleanliness ... it's a serious problem in all the hospitals even since the cleaning services were privatized!  I won't go into what I see at all the Lower Mainland hospitals as a paramedic.  It would make you cringe!  And I mean *all* the hospitals.  Some are better, some are worse, but it's a huge problem in them all. 

Stormbride ... interesting to hear that you'd cross the water to go to St. Paul's!  And I do value a skeptic's word, so thanks!

Thanks again for everyone chiming in about St. Paul's ... I do know lots of queer folk who work there, and have varying things to say about it.  I just don't want DP to feel at all displaced, and while it might not be a novel concept anymore, I also don't want us to be just 'tolerated' ... which is the case with most rightish religious situations (Love the sinner, hate the sin, et) but normalized and accepted.  It's an old wound, and while times have changed, they haven't all that much either in many ways.  When something is not fundamentally supported at the top, it sometimes trickles down in systemic ways, and I'm sure that Providence does not condone same sex marriages.  Both my midwives are queer too, so I'm sure they'll have all kinds of things to say about it too, hopefully for the best!

#200 of 208 Old 02-21-2011, 11:27 AM

I keep hearing that, but the cleanliness at our hospital was soooo much worse after the privatization. I wasn't entirely convinced they had a cleaning staff when I was there before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

Ah, yes, hospital cleanliness ... it's a serious problem in all the hospitals even since the cleaning services were privatized!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#201 of 208 Old 02-21-2011, 11:44 PM

We had our first at St. Paul's and enjoyed the all in one Labour/Delivery/Postpartum rooms. We lucked out and got a corner room which was spacious, had a nice bathroom. 

We wanted to have our second at St. Paul's but they were full. We were told there was only one room left at Women's so we went and managed to get one of the 2 Cedar rooms which are also all in one Labour/Delivery/Postpartum rooms. The room was nice, but we left less than an hour after the baby was born.

I haven't been to RCH, but if I was to choose between St. Paul's and Women's I would go with St. Paul's because all of the rooms are L&D. 

#202 of 208 Old 02-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Hi, everyone!

Has anyone ever given Elder berry to a child to fight an ear infection?  If so, how much?  I have Prairie Doctor Brand Elder Berry and Flower (it says that each ML contains 250 mg dried Sambucus Nigra berry and flower and 40% ethyl alcohol).  The adult dosage given is 1-2 ml, 2 times per day.

Maybe a syrup would be better?

Help!  :)

Thanks!!

#203 of 208 Old 02-23-2011, 10:38 AM

really attached to autumn, hey? winky.gif

i haven't tried elderberry (missed them this year!) but if you'd like an alternative, my best remedy is to swish crushed garlic in olive oil and drip that into their ear, plug it with some cotton to keep it from going everywhere, maybe lie down on the other ear. some folks warm it up so it feels less surprising! 

heal well! x

#204 of 208 Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 PM

Does the elder berry work for middle ear infections?

My oldest daughter just got the worst cold/flu she has ever had and got her first ear infection. She had alternating earaches for a couple of days as we used garlic drops, osteo massage and the earaches developed into a full blown middle ear infection.

Now her brother has caught the same illness and is complaining of earaches. 

#205 of 208 Old 03-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Hi! I'm Lauren and I'm new here, but if you're looking for holistic and natural remedies for ear issues, you should try Saje Natural Wellness, they have them at Metrotown, Robson, Langley, Coquitlam Center, theres this product called Clear Ear, that I've used with my Daughter a FEW times!

I can't stray from the Vancouver people even thou I ran to Red Deer AB :)

#206 of 208 Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM

Hi everyone. Subbing.

I haven't been on the MDC boards for ages. Where is everyone posting? Usually this board is super active!

I'm Suzanne, mom to 2 boys aged 8 & 4.
#207 of 208 Old 03-29-2011, 06:33 PM
Len

Hi Lunagal.... I don't think there's another thread.  A lot of the "old" people from this tribe are now on Facebook, that's how I hear about them :-)

This thread has been active since the fall, and not too much so.

I wanted to invite everyone to the first Waldorf School Spring Market.  I usually don't do Easter gifting, but after drooling upon all the gorgeous handmade stuff I'm thinking I'll get a thing or two for the kids...  everything hand made locally and following the Waldorf philosophy.

Check out the facebook event page, there are photos of the goodies for sale, and directions to the school.

The Market is happening this Sunday, April 3rd. from 10-3.  Things have been flying off the shelf from the temporary display at Birkeland Bros so if there's something you really want, better get there early!

Hope to see many familiar faces then!

#208 of 208 Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Speaking of new threads, well, Fall is long gone, and we're well into Spring, so here is the link for our new Spring thread!

Vancouver(ish) Tribe: SPRINGing forward

Be sure to either post message or subscribe to keep up with the news...

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page