Unassisted Childbirth in BC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-24-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I am trying to educate and inform myself for an UC it being my third birth.
Let me give you the facts and perhaps you can guide me;
I live in Galiano Island.
There is no permanent doctor on the island.
I DO NOT want to PAY to stay in somebody else's home to await my birth.
I already pay enough taxes
This being in Victoria or Salt Spring.
My second birth was MOSTLY unassisted homebirth in Ottawa. The 1st midwife got lost getting to the house and the second asked if I could "hold off" when the baby was crowning, because it was her first solo birth. I promptly closed the bathroom door and told her I knew what i was doing.
The baby was born under 1hr from 1st contraction to birth.
It was an extremely empowering and glorious birth.

So, I want to know if anyone out there has encountered road blocks thru the midwifery & medical community in choosing UC when you are living in a remote location.

As most of you may know travelling w/contractions is not fun. As well for those who have had it. There is nothing like a home birth. My first was a hospital birth and the second a home birth. Homebirth wins hands down.

Can I just get my check ups at the local clinic and just "oops" the baby came so quickly when I go into labour?
Is there penalties for home births?
Can I just go to the dr the next week to register the birth?

thanks for your time!
karyna
#2 of 4 Old 10-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi Karyna!
Welcome to MDC.

Yes, you could go to your local clinic for check ups. There is not technically a penalty for homebirths, but they will not likely believe it was an "oops" unless you call 911 or go in immediately following the birth. It might be better to just say along the lines of "I just decided to stay home." Sometimes women face negative reactions from doctors and nurses after UCing or attempting to UC and transferring. I think it will depend a bit on the exact circumstances, and the feelings of the care providers in your community.

You will need to fill out an Unattended Birth package from vital statistics, if you call them they will mail one to you. It includes the registration form, and a checklist for things you need to provide (proof of residency, affidavits, etc.)

Do you know any other Galiano UCers? There is a Canadian UC yahoo group you may want to join.

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#3 of 4 Old 10-25-2010, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thank you for the post. Yes, I am getting the feeling I should be very discreet about the process.

There have been some unintentional UC'ers on Galiano. But none purposeful that i know of.
The general line I get is "everyone goes to the hospital".

I trusted my self and my instincts in the last two births and I will do the same.
BUT you are correct in advicing "I decided to stay home".
I am prepared for the negative feelings it is just so frustrating how STRONG pregnant women have to be in Canada. I have felt like i was FIGHTING for what I want!
Funnily enough in El Salvador (I was born there) this would not even be a question!
That is what the Mother wants and that is where it would end.

Thank you again.
#4 of 4 Old 10-25-2010, 08:59 PM

Prenatal care and birthing UC might be a nice option for you, or just UP/UC. There is no law that prevents you from birthing at home alone. Getting the birth certificate can be some hassle sometimes.

I have a friend who had a UC on one of the Islands, and was very happy with her experience. Go on over to the UC threads for more nitty-gritty details between pregnancy care, or not, and back up plans.

Have fun!

Birth Attendant. Placenta Encapsulator. Reiki Practitioner. Vegan. Aspiring Midwife. Breastfeeding Educator Student. Two years of trying for our love child.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page