Vancouver(ish) Tribe: SPRINGing forward! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 179 Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all! Does anyone know where I can buy a wooden waldorf type birthday ring in Vancouver?

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#122 of 179 Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM

You might want to check out Dilly Dally on Commercial Dr. (near Charles St.).  They have a lot of Waldorf style toys.  In fact I was just there today and noticed that they had a lot of wooden puzzles and blocks on the 50% off table. 

Mama to Emma (7) and Sarah (5)

#123 of 179 Old 09-08-2011, 09:29 PM

I was just in DillyDally too and didn't see any.... but did scoop some wooden blocks from that 50% off table :)

I buy my Waldorf toys etc. from Maplerose in Nelson. www.maplerose.ca  I usually just call the store rather than order online and they pop it in the mail that day. I've had great experience with them and I know they have birthday rings and all sorts of figures to go with them.

Wife to great guy and mama to 2 beautiful girls S Oct 15, 2008 and Z March 22, 2011
#124 of 179 Old 09-09-2011, 12:14 PM

just popping in to say hi, I haven't been here in a while... so good to hear everyone's "voices" in this tribe!

lisa, huge hugs, I know how hard it is to deal with crazy behavior, especially when you don't know how you should be handling it because nothing seems to help.  hope you find good ways to work with Evan, and maintain your sanity until he gets a little older and it gets a little easier (because it will, no matter what his issues may be...)

we're busy, busy, busy around here, trying to figure out our schedule for the fall/year when lucy wants to do EVERYTHING after a few years of being involved in very little outside our own little family unit... I thought we had something going on every single day, which is never fun, but mondays just freed up for us, which is so exciting to me because I always seem to need monday to deal with a million things, and it's my favorite day to hang around in pj's all day... ;-)  

we're still in our friend's basement suite near trout lake, and likely will be until early next year or so... we actually really like it here in "the tiny house" aside from the lack of dishwasher and occasional crowded feeling... usually it's just cozy, and people are able to find space when necessary, but we'll be thankful to be so busy in the winter, I suppose!

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#125 of 179 Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 PM

Thanks Ellp and Caterina. I haven't seen them at Dilly Dally either but thanks for the great link! I'm going to order one from there :)

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#126 of 179 Old 09-09-2011, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post

lisa, huge hugs, I know how hard it is to deal with crazy behavior, especially when you don't know how you should be handling it because nothing seems to help.  hope you find good ways to work with Evan, and maintain your sanity until he gets a little older and it gets a little easier (because it will, no matter what his issues may be...)

Thank you. Honestly, he's improved so much recently that I'm starting to second guess myself and wonder if there really are any issues, or if my parenting really did tank that badly the last few years. He just had his first sleepover, and he was apparently very well behaved, and when I got him today, he was being super sweet to his friend's baby brother. He's just so little trouble now. I think he's here to keep me second guessing myself!

we're still in our friend's basement suite near trout lake, and likely will be until early next year or so... we actually really like it here in "the tiny house" aside from the lack of dishwasher and occasional crowded feeling... usually it's just cozy, and people are able to find space when necessary, but we'll be thankful to be so busy in the winter, I suppose!

I'm unusually clueless right now, it seems. I've seen you posting on the homeschooling list, and somehow still managed to overlook the fact that you're actually here. :o

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#127 of 179 Old 09-09-2011, 10:15 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Hi Carmen ... They don't have birthday rings at Dilly Dally. 

I bought E's from an awesome craftsman who lives in Powell River.  It is beautiful and was very affordable.  Here is his Etsy store. 

It really is lovely!  And SOOOO affordable.  This is one of the toymakers who sells at the Waldorf Fair at the school in North Van.  You might check to see if there's one coming up before your daughter's birthday.

And here's the old thread from when I was looking for one.

Good luck!

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#128 of 179 Old 09-10-2011, 01:29 PM
Len

The waldorf school in north van just opened a FABULOUS (small) new store. I don't remember if they have birthday rings but they have lots of nice stuff and also a good selection of wool. I can check on Monday whether they have birthday rings.
#129 of 179 Old 09-10-2011, 09:13 PM

Oh I LOVE Jalu Toys!  He's been selling at the big Christmas craft fair at the Vancouver convention each year, and he also goes to the Filberg festival in Courtney (on the Island) each summer.  Most of our wooden animals are from him.  I just checked out his Etsy page but it doesn't look like he's got anything for sale there.

Its nice to hear from you too Tiffani!  For some reason too I think you're still out of the country, and not really "local".orngtongue.gif

#130 of 179 Old 09-11-2011, 08:35 AM

Hi everyone - happy fall!

Long time no see. Like Elena, I rarely drop by any more although I think about you often!

I just posted an extremely long ramble in Learning at School and I would love your thoughts.

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

#131 of 179 Old 09-21-2011, 01:15 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have an electric breast pump they're not using?

My singing group is going to International competition in the 3rd week of October, and one of our members (a good friend of mine) is still nursing her toddler.  She's normally a SAH mom, so she doesn't own an efficient pump.  Last time we went away for a weekend event and she was painfully engorged - despite using her manual Avent Isis pump - after only 2 days.  This time we'll be gone for a week, and all our fellow members who might have a pump are using theirs. 

So I'm hoping to find one she can borrow to bring with her.  Unfortunately, rentals are usually based on monthly rates for a minimum of 3 months, so that isn't really an option.  I've posted to the Texas Finding Your Tribe area, and the LLL forum, but not sure if we'll find anything.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#132 of 179 Old 09-21-2011, 05:35 PM

Hi everybody! another old-timer here popping in to say hello. 

Sasha recently completed his autism assessment and we are getting our report on Friday. The doctor already told us she believes he is on the spectrum. It's been a challenging year, and I wish I understood why everything seemed to get worse with him, more intense, this year. But the important part is now we are getting help and support and that is wonderful. I sometimes forget how totally draining it can be looking after kids with behavioural issues. It will be nice to be able to take breaks knowing that he's with great people who understand him and can help him with his unique challenges. 

Emily has been having a tough time too, possibly because so much attention has had to be focussed on her brother. I think she may even be mildly depressed, she doesn't seem to enjoy a lot of the activities she used to, doesn't want to go anywhere much, etc. She is also on the path to an assessment but meanwhile I'm just trying to spend lots of one-on-one time with her, reconnecting, etc. 

Other than that, however, life is good! The farm is coming along nicely and me and hubby just signed up to do riding lessons together, hooray! Well, that's the update from this expat mainlander. Hugs to all of you!

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#133 of 179 Old 09-22-2011, 11:05 AM

I'm glad you're near the of the assessment with Sasha, Mariah. I haven't gone any further on the stuff with Evan, and I know I need to. I've been talking myself into "oh - he's perfectly fine. This is just my imagination" again. But, I really do think he's got something going on. At the very least, he's having unusual social issues, and he definitely has a big probleml understanding social rules, boundaries, etc. (Actually, so do I, but it manifests very differently with me.)

Good luck with Emily. I've seen some of the same thing with Emma a few times - attention gets so focused on Evan and Jenna (who is definitely in her "twos" in a big, big way!), and Emma feels left out. It can be hard to find the reconnection time, but I'm sure it will help.

Now, I just need to figure out my own issues, and try to get more sleep/rest...somehow.

I'm glad things are going well on the Island. It's honestly been fascinating watching your family's journey from the West End, through the suburbs here, and on to the Island. Enjoy the riding!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#134 of 179 Old 10-24-2011, 10:25 PM

Hi everyone!! Yet another old-timer popping in!   Thought this might be the place to get rid of a few things.  We're moving east, much like a few have done, to raise our family on a decent patch of land, tired of the city living and hoping to have a better quality of life elsewhere.  Love it here, but we just can't afford it and we want the kids to be able to roam free for miles at a stretch.   

That said, I have a few things that need new homes.  It's canning season, I have TONS of glass jars that need to be re-homed.  Send me an email and let me know how many you'd like, I'll let you know what I have (and really, there are hundreds, free to good home).   I have an Avent Isis breast pump, free to good home.  I have a few items for sale, namely a Chicco Hippo Chair (clip-on high chair), Wee Ride child carrier for a bike, double jogging stroller... make me an offer.   Lots of furniture, automotive accessories and autos! (a 2003 Ford Windstar, 1983 Honda Silverwing, 1985 Yamaha Venture) toys, books, sporting goods, kids stuff, household goods, mobility scooter (needs new batteries), appliances (deep freezes, not the greatest shape but the compressors work well), children's bicycles. 

If anyone wants or needs anything please send me an email at wandk2010@live.ca I don't check in here very often.  :)

Mom to Kayleigh (05/07) Jacob (05/09) and Ned decluttering 615/2010
#135 of 179 Old 10-25-2011, 12:04 PM

Hi everyone, another old timer popping in to say hi. It's nice to see what some of you are up to. Tiffany, your place is close to my office, so do pop by one day with the kids! I might be travelling to Uganda and South Africa in 2012 for Pads4girls, so I'd love to talk Africa with you one day.

I agree with Lisa that Mariah's journey is fascinating to watch from afar. Sounds like many of you are on this journey (and other life changing journeys.) It was nice to see Helen a few weeks ago come by with a gaggle of fabulous homeschooled tweens/teens getting set up for their first period with Lunapads. We love having curious guests visit. I'd even be happy to host a 'reunion' of old timers over here if anyone is interested?

I have a question for y'all. I notice many of us are not active on MDC. I remember the days when these boards were so busy it was impossible to keep up. So, my question is: where are you now? Are you on other social networking sites? Which ones? Why isn't this community working for you anymore (or is it?) MDC doesn't seem the same since the magazine folded and since Facebook got so popular. If you feel so inclined, I'd love to know what you think about their latest campaign: The Best of Mothering. Will you participate (and post a Review, Vote (takes only a second, wink!)) or does this kind of stuff not work for you? Where are you going for social interaction and advice from like minded people? Where are you going for new information and trends on what is best for you and your family? What websites or blogs to you love? Thanks for indulging in my mini marketing survey and sharing your faves with us all. I suspect we'll all get something out of it.

Oh, and for you Dream Design fans, they are having a customer appreciation store wide sale on Nov 2nd. Linda Tang the (new-ish) owner is a friend of mine and I so admire what she's done with the business!

I'm Suzanne, mom to 2 boys aged 8 & 4.
#136 of 179 Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Hi Suzanne!

I'm on Facebook a fair bit. I've also cut back (not as much as I should, but some) on my computer time, in general. But, I'm finding that Facebook works for me. Plus, since dd1 and ds2 are getting older, I'm a little more involved in the homeschooling community and meeting some friends there, and they tend to be on the same page as me, more or less.

And, honestly...since Aaron died, for a variety of reasons, Mothering has felt a bit...unsafe. I got a lot of support here, especially in the local tribe, but there was also some nasty spillover behind the scenes. I still spend a lot of time here - more than most, I think - but it's not really the same, and it's mostly from force of habit.

#137 of 179 Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, the new format doesn't seem to be as friendly as the original one, mostly in the way it notifies me of posts.  I deleted a huge bunch of those notifications before I realized what they were because they appeared to be just another ad from Mothering.

Mostly I'm getting my online social time via Facebook and also via the HS-Van list, though of course that only includes the homelearners among us. 

What is sad is that MDC "Finding Your Tribe" threads could still be a great place to meet other families who are in the same groove, but because it's no longer the robust and lively forum it used to be, new people will miss out on this resource.  There's a huge bunch of people on FB that I would not have as friends if it hadn't been for this group right here.

It might be nice to have a get together!

weliveintheforest likes this.

Lori : mum to Emily (nov94) and Calvin (jul 03), : and : married to : Wes
#138 of 179 Old 10-26-2011, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I find I don't post as much, partly because it's quiet, and partly because it feels very public and commercial.  It always was public, but now that I know so many mdc-ers in real life, and there is the mdc-facebook link, and the nasty other sites mocking mdc... I don't feel like getting too personal!  I also don't use MDC for meeting up like I did when I was in Vancouver.  It feels like it has changed from somewhere for magazine readers to connect to just another parenting site.  I check in almost daily out of habit but don't spend much time.

I really value the connections I made here in the Vancouver tribe when Cora was a baby :)

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#139 of 179 Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 AM

hi everyone! it's always nice to see the old faces. i think that mdc for me was really important when my children were small, and when i was in vancouver, but it isn't so much now. i had the same sort of quieting when my eldest was getting older, before i became pregnant with my second. i like to keep my foot in the door, mind you! it does seem very slow, which compounds the problem. and yes, i see so many folks on fb, which i can hardly keep up with as it is! i've really valued it, the boards having been life altering for me. i'm probably busier than i've ever been, as well, with homeschooling and my own work, it just isn't the same situation as i was in when i could grab a minute to read while i was nursing. i also think that my questions are being answered in other places - boards or sites dedicated to growing your own, making your own. and twitter is another source of connection! 

mariah, good to hear that you're getting support, i have another friend on the island who is having her little one assessed so that self design can do more for her. i hope things settle in a bit soon. your farming life is pretty exciting to watch! x elisa

#140 of 179 Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Hi everyone,

I made a lot of great connections from this tribe too. I learned a lot about myself and pregnancy/parenting. But then my oldest started getting older and I had a second, and I just fell into a good groove. I wasn't needing to ask as much advice and I wasn't wanting to spend tons of time on here. I also found that I don't fit into 'the crunchy mentality' of these boards and started to feel a bit out of place. I'm not the same parent I set out to be when Cayden was born. I'm in a place that works for me and my boys and it doesn't seem to fit into what MDC is about. There's a few things that I agree with on MDC, but a lot I don't. So I just don't come. I haven't replaced it with anything else though. I connect with parents in my area, we meet other homeschoolers. I use Facebook but I don't use the MDC page.

So I guess we are pretty busy and I don't share all the same values that MDC does like I used to.

I check in to my subscriptions about once a month, to see if anyone has written in the Vancouver Tribe ;)

Dawn

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#141 of 179 Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM

all of my internet time is spent on facebook and the two or three blogs I frequent... I still come here to this tribe to check in, and I catch up on the adoptive parents forum to see where everyone is with that, but I haven't looked at another forum on MDC in a few years, actually... I'm glad to know it's here if I need it, but I just don't have the endless desire to discuss parenting anymore -- too busy doing it, I guess! ;-)  parenting, that is... not "too busy" doing the other kind of "doing it" unfortunately... ;-) I mean, we're doing well, don't get me wrong, but you know, 4 kids, tiny house... should I shut up now?

Storm Bride likes this.

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#142 of 179 Old 10-28-2011, 07:43 PM

rofl tiffani :)

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#143 of 179 Old 10-29-2011, 11:59 AM

I hear you, Tiffani. We moved dd2 out of our bed a few months ago, so things have improved, but it was a rough couple of years!

#144 of 179 Old 10-30-2011, 10:29 PM

Another old-timer here to chime in..:-))

I still check in here every few weeks but I seldom reply just because I don't have the mental capacity these days to do more than just read other people's posts.  My kids are growing bigger/more active/more independent, and it takes all my energy to just keep up with them.  I don't have the luxery of time now to browse during nursing/nap times. 

I am on Facebook but I rarely post there.  For me its just a tool to keep track of very close friends and relatives.  I think I have less than 20 people on my "list" and I prefer to keep it that way.  I don't post any pictures, and have asked people not to post pictures of our family just for my peace of mind.  I've also deactivated the "search for my name" function just because I don't want people from my past to chat me up.  They're in the past for a reason.:-)

As for where I get my support from, the local HS-ing lists have been great.  They've been a fantastic source of resources as well as opportunities to meet up.

I agree with tiffani that we're just living life at this stage, not just discussing it.

#145 of 179 Old 11-04-2011, 11:35 PM

I hope some in the Vancouver tribe will be reading and interested in this new group working on Steiner/Waldorf education within the city. The new mixed-age Friday morning class starts next week ... Here's the info:

Thank you for your interest in bringing Waldorf education into the City of Vancouver. We invite you to become a member of our community of parents, educators, and students. We are exploring the work of Rudolf Steiner through a 2011-2012 speaker series, a Steiner education reading group, seasonal festivals and community building. Our goal is the development of a Waldorf school in the city. 

Membership benefits include the speaker series, festivals and Waldorf-inspired special events, the Steiner study group, and access to our growing Waldorf lending library. It also includes eligibility for a Friday morning parent-child class led by an experienced Lifeways teacher, which will begin its first term at the Pacific Spirit School campus Nov. 11 (tuition for this is additional).

Most of all, membership is a way of supporting this effort at its inception and helping Waldorf education take root in Vancouver. 

Membership is $45/year per family. Payment can be sent via paypal to waldorfinvancouver@gmail.com or by visiting this link: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=J283AVCWZNN86 For more information, please contact us and please visit our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/WaldorfinVancouver.

Thank you so much for your support in founding this community.

Sincerely,

The Waldorf in Vancouver Steering Committee
#146 of 179 Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 AM

It's nice to see so many of the "old timers" are still lurking around. As per Suzanne's question...

I think it's what many have said. When I was pregnant for the first time, unsure of how I was going to parent, didn't know anybody else who was pregnant, MDC was a wonderful resource. I really "found" myself as a parent here, and I was really into discussing any and all aspects of parenting ad nauseum. Mostly because I had no idea what to expect, I guess, lol. My best mama friends I met here first, and still feel part of that community even though we have all spread out a bit. 

But, as many have said, the kids get older and you find your groove and you really aren't interested in discussing the nitty-gritty philosophies of parenting anymore. Mind you, I have started frequenting the Special Needs Parenting forum because that is all new to me now. I find the world of mainstream parenting sites on the Internet to be pretty scary places with people who totally don't get where I'm coming from at all. So if I do need to discuss something, I'll come here first. 

I do think that MDC has changed in the last 10 years, it has gotten a bit too big, IMHO, and therefore a bit too mainstream. I realize it's the crunchy mecca of the Internet for most people, but to me this doesn't feel as "safe" as it used to. Like I can find myself having to debate the use of Time Outs while on a thread about something totally different, and that sort of thing just didn't happen before b/c we were all on the same page. I think now people stumble onto MDC and don't really get what it is about, what community it is trying to serve. I don't want to be anywhere where I have to a) defend myself for parenting the way I do and b) have to listen to "advice" from people who just don't get where I'm coming from at all. So I lurk here, visit a couple other forums on occasion, but I connect now IRL and through FB mostly.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#147 of 179 Old 11-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Hello Vancouver Mamas!  I haven't posted much for a long while but I thought I will let you know about a public discussion on infant sleep that is happening at the Roundhouse on November 24th. 

Here is the website: http://earlylearning.ubc.ca/blog/2011/oct/14/cihr-cafe-scientifique-when-lullabies-are-not-enou/

Dr. Wendy Hall at UBC has conducted a sleep research on controlled comforting, called the Rocky Sleep study. Her goal is to develop standardized interventions based on her studies that public health nurses can offer when sleep issues are encountered.  

I am hoping some of you are able to come to the session and ask questions or raise concerns as you may have with this approach. I will be there but in my professional capacity and it is therefore much harder for me to make a comment as a lay person could. 

Thanks,

Eva

#148 of 179 Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 PM

Loved your words, as usual, Tiffani!!!

I too, am not on MDC much at all anymore.  For all the reasons discussed above.  Facebook definitely replaced MDC for my "keep in touch digitally" needs.  I miss the little community we had here in this tribe though.  Facebook can't compare to that!!!  Quite a few of the blogs I read belong to Vancouver Mamas from this tribe and I really enjoy the glimpses into all of your lives!

#149 of 179 Old 11-21-2011, 04:22 PM

I also don't come here much any more due to different circles of support & different needs as the kids get older.

That said, I do have a question for those of you with older girls hola.gif:

What are your thoughts on emerging body hair & shaving?  I don't want to suggest to DD that there is anything wrong with her developing body & all that goes with it.  I also don't want to leave her open to ridicule when she goes out in our culture where shaved armpits are the norm. 

I guess a conversation with her about it would be a start...maybe I'm hoping for a way to bring it to her so she doesn't feel uncomfortable with it.

Not something I would post about on Facebook winky.gif

Helen wash.gif Homeschooling Mama to Nicola photosmile2.gif 07/00 , Daniel kewl.gif 05/03 & cat.gifX2...and hug.gif with Barry caffix.gif since 08/87
#150 of 179 Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 PM

seaislandmama, I'm really not sure. My dd is quite hairy, although very fair. She is only 6 1/2 so she doesn't have any other hair coming in, but I think that when it does she will likely be fairly hairy - so I've thought about this a little already.

I also do not want her to be teased, nor do I want her to be ashamed of her hair. Having hair is natural, after all! However, I do shave my legs. I try not to make a big point of it, but she knows I do it and has asked why. I'm not really sure what to tell her. I know that it's a cultural phenomenon that I'm subscribing to.

Anyway, if anyone has a great idea for talking about this with older girls, I'd love to hear it!

Tricia, treehugger.gif wild.gif geek.gif mama of dd (6) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page