desperate need a midwife or ob-gyn in Montreal area at 33 weeks pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

I am from the US, relatively new to the Montreal area (been here since Aug 2010), and am now almost 33 weeks pregnant.  To make a long story short, I was referred to a doctor after a long grueling process trying to figure out my options for health care here, as we were new to the area and didn't know how the process worked with getting an ob-gyn.  I was referred to a doctor in St. Hubert, which is aobut 30 mins away... not knowing much about natural births, etc., at that point b/c hadn't gotten to do my research yet.  Found out I could have gone anywhere, but by the time I found out I was already 18 weeks (took a while to get in to see the doctor in the first place).  So couldn't get in to see several other docs I was referred to.  What has really ticked me off is my doctor cancelled our appt this morning b/c she was going on VACATION.  The morning of my appt, 50 mins before we were to leave, I received a phone call.  Then they didn't want to get me in for 3 more weeks.  I am fed up with the system here, I just want to be seen by someone I can trust that is closer to us (we live in St. Laurent area) and that will support a natural birth.  Anyone have any suggestions??  Would any docs or midwives even see me at this point in my pregnancy?  What about the West Island, are there available doctors/ midwives out there?

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 PM

I'm not in Quebec and don't know everything about the health system there as it varies considerably from where I live, but you might try getting in to a family dr.  If I have to have a dr I would rather have a family dr than an OB (at least here family drs can deliver).

Apparently a CSSS will help you look for a dr if you are pg

http://www.santemontreal.qc.ca/en/faq/faq13.html

I tried finding midwives but I couldn't find any?  If its anything like the rest of the country you are probably too late to get into see a midwife, they fill up super fast (I phoned at 5 weeks and am on a waiting list).  But there is the Canadian Association of Midwives located in Montreal that you could try phoning and see if there are any in your area.

Tricia
Canadian Mama to E 2yrs
Someone new coming October!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:31 AM

You can search midwives in Montreal on this page, and get a list of about 20: http://www.osfq.org/membres/recherche_public.php

Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 AM

Is CSSS Jeanne Mance close enough to you, depending where on St Laurent you are? There seem to be many homebirth midwives based out of that one in particular.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:13 PM

Hi jrschtwo,

If you would consider a homebirth with a mid-wife, I could refer you to someone wonderful.  PM me if interested.

Veronica

User Tag List