Looking to find local homeschoolers in BC - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-12-2011, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello!

I am a mom to three little boys and I have just started homeschooling my eldest! He is in grade one and I am trying to put together some information and resources. Also some new friends! Let me know if you live in my area (Mission, BC) or close by. Or if you have any starting homeschooling advice. 

Sincerely, 

M

#2 of 12 Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM

Hi I'm in maple ridge. My eldest will start kindergarten this fall and I will be homeschool him. i'm not 100% sure but I likley will be going with Summitt and doing distance learning

SAHM to D ( 10/06 ) A (10/08) & C (03/11)
#3 of 12 Old 04-12-2011, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hey! I just had a 1 hour conversation with summit today and will not be going with them... sighs... I don't like the way they do a couple of important things.

#4 of 12 Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 PM

wave.gifHi Megan!  I'm here looking for the same thing... LOL  I'm thinking of starting homeschool for my kids in the fall.  They are in French Immersion right now and I'm struggling with the decision to pull them out.  I'd love to talk to other homeschoolers in the area and get their take on things, find out what kind of resources there are out here, etc.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#5 of 12 Old 04-16-2011, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Well I am ALL for it! I haven't been this happy in years!!! I can think of a thousand reasons why I think they will benefit from it.

I actually decided to go with Summit after all cause the other 'school' I was wanting is finished for this year. I will most likely be switching to them for September though (them is Self design). I will be even happier once I can get a local group of moms together for support and lots of play dates and some field trips!!!

#6 of 12 Old 04-16-2011, 09:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

That's too bad SD isn't enrolling anymore, I know someone else who was planning to enroll this month.  

BC Mum of three ('05, '07, '11 and #4 coming May '14!)    jumpers.gif  belly.gif 

#7 of 12 Old 04-16-2011, 09:52 PM

From what I understand from the Self Design website is that their enrollment is full for this school year but will be accepting the 2001/2012 enrollments starting May 1st but also mention a waiting list.  Seems to be a very popular program.

. : Jill, mama to 5 kiddos, soon to be 6 in June 2013 : .

#8 of 12 Old 04-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Hello Megan. We've been homeschooling for a few years now with Self-Design. Just finishing our fourth year with them and enjoying it very much. 

There is a large and thriving homeschool community in Vancouver. Check out the Yahoo group "HS-Van" for lots of information and resources.

teapot2.GIF Homeschooling, Homesteading Mama to DD ('02) and DS ('04)  ribbonjigsaw.gif blogging.jpg homeschool.gif

#9 of 12 Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 AM

HI,

I am with New West Homelearners and my youngest will be in grade 1 next year. There are loads of resources for homeschooling all over the internet. The teachers at any DL are also a great place to start as well at the HS-Van yahoo group that was mentioned.

#10 of 12 Old 07-16-2011, 10:29 PM

This is a good site too https://sites.google.com/site/gvhomelearners/home

HS-Van on Yahoo is a great resource, and I think there maybe an additional group for Fraser Valley Folks, if you post on HS-Van, someone will let you know.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

#11 of 12 Old 09-04-2012, 06:54 AM

Hello I started homeschooling my son at the end of the school year and we moved to mission.We don't have any friends out here so I am hoping to meet new people for us lol
#12 of 12 Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM

Hey everyone, I'm a local (mission) free-schooling mom who is "growing" a democratic Free-School right here in Mission.  We are basing our philosophies from the Windsor House School in North Vancouver.  Check out our blog and get intouch with me or anyone from our group if you are interested in getting involved, or just getting together with the kids :)

http://fvfreeschool.blogspot.ca/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page