Looking for English/Bilingual Daycare for preschool of a 3yr old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, I am new to this forum. I am a mommy of a 3yr old girl and will be moving to Montreal (Mile End,Plateau)in Nov/Dec from Toronto.

I'm looking for English or bilingual preschool for my Daughter who will be 4 come Fall 2012. Does anyone know a good preschool in Mile-End,Plateau or surround areas that may have an opening ? If possible, I would like to start her asap.

I know she will not have any problem learning English eventually but I wanted her first year transition in Montreal to be more English, because I mostly talk to her in French.

Also, if there are any English/French speaking moms of preschoolers out there, I would love to meet up.  .

Thank you in advance! joy.gif

#2 of 7 Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Feel free to PM me with any questions. We currently live in the Plateau - Mile End.

For english-speaking daycares, you might want to try the McGill Daycare. They have two. One for students and another for faculty and staff. The downtown YMCA also has a daycare that might be bilingual. The neighborhood daycare across the street from us has many kids from bilingual families, but the staff all speak in French.

Your daughter does not have to attend school until age 5 for senior kindergarten. Some families choose to keep their kids in daycare until they are old enough for maternelle (senior kindergarten).

Hope this helps!

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.
#3 of 7 Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hi there,

the McGill daycare sound good just the fact that im neither a student or prospective one,nor a staff so i would not be able to put her thru.:(

Do you know any english daycare in the area?mile-end,le plateau etc...

thanks,

Ashley

#4 of 7 Old 11-16-2011, 12:49 PM

Hi,

Very similar situation as the woman posting. We just moved to Montreal from Brooklyn. Looking for a French or bilingual daycare/pre-school or coop day care type of scenario for our 2 year old daughter. Living in the Plateau...any help would be fantastic! :)

-Tom

#5 of 7 Old 01-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Hi! We are moving to Montreal from the CT/NYC area and also looking for preschool in the Plateau... Did you find anything? :)

shayna

#6 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 PM

Hey!  I just moved to the Plateau as well, from Toronto... I have a 11 month old.  My understanding is that there are really long waiting lists for daycare....  You could probably call around for spots in the private ones.  Not sure how subsidies work.

#7 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 12:21 PM

Sometimes private daycares can end up costing less than $7 per day, but you have to wait until you do your taxes and submit the receipts to get the refund.

The Quebec government does offer the option of giving you the money back in 12 monthly installments, so you don't have to wait until tax time. This is of course determined by your level of income. Obviously in a couple where both are making $80K or more, the subsidy won't be as much as for a couple where both are making $40K annually.

Neighborhoods in the west part of the island (Montreal West, Notre Dame de Grace, Pointe Claire, Pierrefonds, Kirkland, Dollard Des Ormeaux) tend to have more preschools and daycares in english. A good place to look would be http://www.montrealfamilies.ca/ for listings.

Good luck!

Yes, the wait lists are long.

Sign hanging in Albert Einstein's office at Princeton: Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted, counts.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page