Nanaimo mamas have advice for an Ontario family hoping to move? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-04-2012, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dh lived in Nanaimo many years ago but were sure things have changed since then. We have a 5.5y old ds, a 3y old dd and a 4 month old dd. We prob wont be leaving here for another 6 months sadly but Im wondering what areas are better ect. Ds goes to French immersion but Im thinking of homeschooling when were there...It all depends.

Any info/help please????

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 AM

Hi;

I publish several Nanaimo area websites, www.nanaimo-info-blog.com is one of them. I am always interested in why people move to this area, and Nanaimo in particular.

If you are willing I would appreciate hearing from you via email

[email protected]

Thank You

Jim Taylor

Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 AM

What were you looking to know? I grew up there, and just recently moved to a town really close by to Nanaimo (close to the waldorf school my kids now go to).

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

Old 04-07-2012, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Im wondering about areas I should avoid moving too? certain school areas better then others? my dh would be transferring to the Long And McQuade in town so keeping around there would be nice but I have no real ideas if thats somewhere kid friendly. 

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
Old 04-09-2012, 03:34 PM

There is a rumour that you should avoid the downtown core. It is "rougher" looking than say north nanaimo. But it has so much more community, personality, and things to do for young ones. Living downtown or somewhee in that area gives easy access to the waterfront where there is a farmers market (and its wonderful) and tons of festivals and events. Central Nanaimo is also nice because then you are closer to the commercial area of nanaimo but still close access to things for kids (like walking distance) as well as many parks. But it was a bit too busy. North nanaimo is newer and thus costs a little more, and the houses are newer, but there are of course beaches nearby. People claim it is safer, and it may be - but I never once felt unsafe living in the "south end." Long and McQuade is located right near the heart of downtown so if I were you I would head there - it really is a great place to raise kids. Plus they have a local homeschooling group in that area, and a crunchy group who meets at a park on Knobb hill quite regularly for potlucks and what not.

Lindsay: DS#1 (06/06) DD#1 (09/07) DS#2 (10/08) DD#2 (06/09). AND A BABY DUE NOVEMBER 2013

User Tag List