Healthy Kitchen = healthy life - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would just like to start a health convo going here. I haven't seen on this site yet and I wanted other mother opinions.

Have many parents out there come to realize how bad most foods are that you find in grocery stores or is it just me? :P

I've been reading and looking into health for the past year now and I have made huge changes over that past year. Baby steps at first of coarse. I wish there was a word for a person who doesn't eat sugar, white flour, white rice (cuz its all bleeched you know and that's gross) preservatives, dairy, alcohol, soy or salt.

Now I've added things like nutritional yeast, natural sea-salt, brown rice milk, brown rice, brown rice pasta, organic vegetables and canned food, honey, agave nectar and hemp seed. I just have to add that I feel amazing. I'm 26 years old and I have NEVER felt this good in my life. I'm never bloated, hung over, or mad for no reason. I love my life and I love my husband so much, and because I feel so great I am able to love my husband the way he deserves to be loved. And take care of our kids the way it should be done.

What healthy food do you have in your house? And have you noticed how it makes you feel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2012, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DH and I both made the change to vegetarianism one month before I gave birth to our DS. Making the move to buy anything we could organically was the next push we made. Now, 10 months later, we feel better than we ever did. I find that we have a more varied diet now than before and once we started to question where our food came from or what is in our food - we realized that organic (non-GMO) was the only option for us.

Now, we have started excerising more regularly and we are grateful that our DS will grow up with these good habits and examples. Eating this healthy and maintaining a clean lifestyle (no drinking, smoking, etc) does seem to restrict our social life. We are limited to the types of restaurants we can eat out at, but are lucky that there are some "healthy" options with vegetarian and vegan alternatives. We also notice that our lifestyle changes seem to negatively affect our families who still smoke, drink, and eat meat. It makes it difficult for us to justify surrounding ourselves by people (family or not) that either do not respect/understand our choices, especially when they are direct influences on our DS.

In the end, we know we are doing right by ourselves and our DS, so it is worth it. The next step for me is a sugar detox - already staerted using agave and vegan sugar free alternatives to awesome baking. The recipes and options are endless - I love it!

User Tag List