Best place to raise a AP family in Canada? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-14-2012, 07:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My family (DH, DS, DD due in Dec and me) found ourself in a rare oppertunity to "start over". The company DH is working for is closing down and with his upcoming paternity leave and severance pay we will be financial comfortable for a while to really think about how/ where we want to raise our family. Im a SAHM and DS isnt in school yet and we have no familly close by so all that makes a big move easy.

Right now we are in Ottawa and we do like living there, there are many AP parents, green space within the city and some outside of the city, there is so much to do for families from museums, pools, sports, camping etc. We even live in a older small community on the edge of the city with a bit of a small town feel. However it is doesn't nescessarily feel like the right fit. We like living, working within a community and i feel like im spending too much time driving all over the city to all the great things the city has to offer including socializing with other AP parents. Its also not likely my DH will find another job so close to home.

We bought our home ( before we had kids) in our subdivision because we wanted to raise our familly within a "small" community. I feel like im one of the only SAHMs in the neighborhood let alone be raising my kids in a bit of a alternative AP style (little to no tv, healthy eating, no "violent" toys, etc). Im a bit worried when my son starts the only school available to us next year.

So long story sort when my DH is going to be looking for a new job we are pretty open to moving, but not sure where to. He works in the high tech field, so rural is out, but a smaller city or even a small community within or very near a city would be great. I would love to find a place with more like minded people that promotes green living.

Is there anyone who could suggest a great place in canada to live and raise kids?
#2 of 5 Old 10-20-2012, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I'm partial to the westcoast, especially Vancouver Island, but there are so many places it is pretty hard to narrow down.  Can you go on a bit of a trip and visit some different areas to check them out?

BC Mum of four ('05, '07, '11 and 06/14!)     
#3 of 5 Old 12-01-2012, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)

Nelson, BC!

#4 of 5 Old 12-01-2012, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Canmore is pretty pricey, but if you are moving from Ottawa you might not notice that huge a difference in home prices, etc.  It's very close to Calgary (less than an hour) so if your DH didn't have to work in a city but just could be close by that might be an option.  I'd love to say Calgary, but I don't know how AP friendly it is compared to other areas of the country...I think it's getting "greener" all the time but I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to somewhere like Nelson (which is lovely!  I've visited before and it is a beautiful area!)

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#5 of 5 Old 12-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstewart View Post

Canmore is pretty pricey, but if you are moving from Ottawa you might not notice that huge a difference in home prices, etc.  It's very close to Calgary (less than an hour) so if your DH didn't have to work in a city but just could be close by that might be an option.  I'd love to say Calgary, but I don't know how AP friendly it is compared to other areas of the country...I think it's getting "greener" all the time but I'm sure it doesn't hold a candle to somewhere like Nelson (which is lovely!  I've visited before and it is a beautiful area!)

Yes Canmore too!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page