Halifax Knitting Mamas!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 2034 Old 09-13-2005, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was a small group today. Just Charlene, Lesley and myself. And of course the babes!

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#302 of 2034 Old 09-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Banned

Tamara, Charlene and I were knitting, while the wee girls rolled and squealed and chattered to each other on the floor. They were quite entertaining!
#303 of 2034 Old 09-13-2005, 09:48 PM

Not me, unfortunately. Mr. Munchkin decided that today was as good a day as any to sit in his pyjamas and eat organic choco-bear cereal all morning. (I'm pretty sure that "organic" and "choco-anything" cancel each other out.) And here I sit desperately in need of help...I cannot seem to get my dang heel flap to turn out right. Dagnabit. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it next week.
#304 of 2034 Old 09-13-2005, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

We missed you Deb! Well, hopefully you will be able to get out with us next week.

I really want to get done my pants so that I can start with my new wool. :LOL And I know that my NEXT pair of pants are going to be soooo much better than this pair, because of all this "practice" time!

#305 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 08:33 AM

If you're working on a heel flap, you need "Cool Socks Warm Feet" by Lucy Neatby (she's local)--it's THE book for figuring out socks.

Alison
#306 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 10:54 AM

Oooh. Thanks for the heads-up, Alison. I just sent Lucy an email...hopefully, I'll have my own copy by the end of the week (and some Opal sock yarn...I'm just such a sucker for pretty yarn.)
#307 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 12:08 PM

Bluenail, she's in Dartmouth, you could go by and pick it up, and pet all the other yarn while you're at it!

BTW, for those of you who are interested, Lucy usually has an open house early in December, which is nice, and you can go down to her basement and pet all sorts of yarn! I can pass the date on when I find out, if anyone is interested.

Alison
#308 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=Alison
BTW, for those of you who are interested, Lucy usually has an open house early in December, which is nice, and you can go down to her basement and pet all sorts of yarn! I can pass the date on when I find out, if anyone is interested.

Alison[/QUOTE]

Sounds good!
#309 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 12:39 PM

Where's a chortling smilie when you need one?

Just went to Tangled Skeins to see what all the fuss was about...and it's a lovely little shop. Aaaaaand. She's got a 50% off sale on the summer yarns on right now! I just picked up some terrific 100% wool for some longies for Mr. Munchkin. Go, go, go now people!

Oh, and I'd love to go in December too! Keep us in the loop, please...
#310 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenail
Where's a chortling smilie when you need one?

Just went to Tangled Skeins to see what all the fuss was about...and it's a lovely little shop. Aaaaaand. She's got a 50% off sale on the summer yarns on right now! I just picked up some terrific 100% wool for some longies for Mr. Munchkin. Go, go, go now people!

Oh, and I'd love to go in December too! Keep us in the loop, please...

Oh no! A sale! I have no willpower against a sale!
#311 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenail
Oh, and you're so close to them too! I don't think I could risk the temptation to go by there 3 times a week! :LOL I just got my new wool so I'm cut off until I at least have my first pair of longies to show for it! Maybe there will still be some left for me in a few weeks...

#312 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 02:48 PM

Oh yes...TS is temptingly within walking distance, as I found out today. However, I underestimated the Dartmouthian hills. I don't think that the owner of TS was terribly impressed by my sweating, bedraggled appearance. :LOL It's really hard work going up and down those hills, carting home a munchkin and newly acquired yarn. Don't think that I'll be doing it that often. (It's sort of an enforced yarn diet. I'm only allowed to buy yarn if I walk to the shop. Heh.)

And as for buying new wool... : Uhm, I have a tendency to take home pretty wool...even when I don't have an exact plan for it at the time. You're welcome to come over and pet the ever growing stash anytime, if it will make you feel better. Or even if it just helps you to justify a new purchase of yarn.
#313 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

Pants Update:

I completed rows for her rise. Debated whether or not to wait on continuing until we meet again and the more experienced knitters could watch over me, then I looked up the kitchener stitch and knitting on the double-pointed needles for the legs....decided to take the plunge.

I now have almost an inch done on one leg, a lovely seamed crotch in the middle and a stitch holder safely keeping the other leg until I am ready for it. The legs are in the right place (I was worried that they would be sideways, you know the bulky bum part coming out of her hip or something).

It's not perfectly neat, but I can fix that later by tightening it all up. If the goddess of knitting permits, I should have pants to show you by next week!

(And yes, I know I should probably finish Nanny's scarf because there is only two weeks until her birthday, but this is more interesting!!)
#314 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 07:13 PM

I have a felting question. When felting the sweaters for the soakers, how felted do they have to be? I did one sweater that felted up beautifully, and I've mad alovely pair of little wool rugby shorts that stand up by themselves. one other sweater felted sort of halfway, and one didn't felt at all. what can i do?
#315 of 2034 Old 09-14-2005, 08:15 PM

According to Lucy Neatby....sometimes you have to take a few stabs at felting a fabric...some fibers don't "take" the first couple of times, but then, magically, the 3rd (or 4th.....or 5th....) time is the charm! I'm assuming you're using hot water and high heat in the dryer? Maybe just try another wash or two...see if that helps?
#316 of 2034 Old 09-15-2005, 08:58 AM

You don't even need to felt them, so the half felted fabric would work just as well as the ones that stand up by themselves. I haven't felted any of my handknit ones, so I haven't bothered felting the longies I made from sleeves.

Alison
#317 of 2034 Old 09-15-2005, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Taking the Chequered Flag- Finishing with Style for your Handknits
Sunday, October 30th, 9:30am to 4:30pm
Don't forget to bring a lunch
$65 + Materials and HST

Finishing can be fun! Take control of your knitting with great
finishing
techniques, these transform 'home made' into 'couture' knits. Whilst
covering a wide variety of methods, we will create a one_armed
mini_cardigan from three unpromising pieces of stocking stitch.

Lucy Neatby will walk us through a variety of finishing techniques from
setting in sleeves to sew and cut necklines, three needle bindoff and
most importantly, preplanning for better finishing.

This is taking place at Gaspereau Valley Fibres. See http://www.gaspereauvalleyfibres.ca/events.htm for more information.

Alison
#318 of 2034 Old 09-18-2005, 09:26 AM

Another super cute, super easy, all one piece baby sweater!! Similar to the 5-Hour Baby Sweater that I posted a page or two ago.

http://www.knitlist.com/2002/FransHood.htm

R
#319 of 2034 Old 09-19-2005, 09:08 AM

Are we knitting at Lesley's tomorrow? Lesley, is it apartment 11? Anyway, I also have your stroller in the car. Oh, and where do we part a your place?

Alison
#320 of 2034 Old 09-19-2005, 09:31 AM
Banned

Yes we can knit here, building 24, apt 11, park on the street. See you then!
#321 of 2034 Old 09-19-2005, 08:43 PM

Is it okay if I bring Mika tomorrow (translation...do you really want a toddler poking around in all your stuff :LOL )......if that's okay then we'll be there (10am?). I'm sending my sister off with my folks for a trip to Peggy's Cove....I've had about all the togetherness I can handle for 48 hours, I NEED A BREAK!!!

R
#322 of 2034 Old 09-19-2005, 09:23 PM
Banned

No problem ot have Mika. I can probably rustle up some toddler friendly toys for him to play with, and we can keep the kiddies corraled in the livingroom :LOL

See you tomorrow!
#323 of 2034 Old 09-19-2005, 10:42 PM

Not going to be able to make it tomorrow. But just want to let everyone know that I am working on a scarf . My sister in law (who is a big knitter) gave me some needles and some really nice wool and I am working on a ribbed scarf for Olivia So far so good!!
#324 of 2034 Old 09-20-2005, 08:41 AM

go vanessa go! go vanessa go!! Yeaaaahhhhh vanessa!!!

(is there a cheerleader smilie??)

R
#325 of 2034 Old 09-20-2005, 02:04 PM

Hey Alison (or anyone, for that matter!),

What do you know about spinning with a spindle? Specifically a Turkish Spindle? From what i understand you can wind a center-pull ball on the spindle as you spin your roving! I was thinking this might be a good way for me to start learning how to spin....

http://www.allfiberarts.com/library/aa00/aa072000.htm

Good to see everyone today (by the way, where were you all yesterday?? We missed you at the park)....Mika really enjoyed the kitty's food :LOL

Tamara, give me a buzz if you need guidance on your crotch (okay, that sounded bad, but you know what I mean!!)

R
#326 of 2034 Old 09-20-2005, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeaufoy

Tamara, give me a buzz if you need guidance on your crotch (okay, that sounded bad, but you know what I mean!!)

R

That is funny in so many ways...I mean, you've got "guidance" and "crotch", but the BEST is the inclusion of the word "buzz" :

Today was a lot of fun. Cam asked me when he came home for lunch what knitting group was like (was it like school?) and I told him we hang out and talk while we knit. He says "so it's like a party?" Yeah, that works!

I have an annoucement to make:

I have finished the pants! AND....they fit her!! I had them on her, and thought: "my goodness, these are very very green!" :LOL
#327 of 2034 Old 09-20-2005, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeaufoy
(by the way, where were you all yesterday?? We missed you at the park)....
R
:LOL I was at the church, along with a bunch of the non-knitters. I kind of wondered if there were people at both places. How many were at the park?
#328 of 2034 Old 09-20-2005, 07:31 PM

I was wondering the same thing!! I was at the park with almost no one that I know, except for Brendan and his daughter :LOL I stopped at the church around 11:10, but there wasn't anyone there! Oh well...we had fun and met some new folks.
#329 of 2034 Old 09-20-2005, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley&grace
That is funny in so many ways...I mean, you've got "guidance" and "crotch", but the BEST is the inclusion of the word "buzz" :
buzz..... :::

#330 of 2034 Old 09-23-2005, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I checked out Kreative Knits and Designs in the Barrington Place Shops. Their selection of yarns is very small, but they have some nice stuff and are eager to please and willing to order stuff in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page