Halifax Knitting Mamas!! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Tamara, but I ordered the ebay ones. It works out to be $11.88, but then I am not as eager as you are to get knitting more pants, . BUT I was thinking if you ordered it on ebay today and had it sent to your Dad's it might get there...just a thought. Of course it's always nice to support our local small businesses (I'm sure between us we are really helping TS stay afloat )

PS< Thanks for the link Alison, saved me some time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2005, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I was just thinking it will be awhile before I get to the legs anyway! I forgot I don't need them just yet. In fact, I *might* need them in 2 weeks, if I get a lot of time to knit from now until I go away.

I may just get the eBay ones afterall. I'm sure if I got into TS on the weekend, I'll find something else to buy, though!

Mama to DD#1 (03/05) and DD#2 (05/08). Expecting baby #3.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:41 PM
Banned

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if you guys were planning to meet for knitting this week (it is the 22nd after all) but I am going to the valley Thursday for the day, so I'm not available to host. I am visiting my Aunt Boo-Boo who is the current resident knitting guru in our family. So, to all of you Merry Christmas and as it stands now I am available the thursday following Christmas.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:27 PM

I'd offer to host, but my folks are flying in that day. Sorry. Happy Holidays to you all! And may you all receive a pair of magical needles in your stockings - preferably ones that crank out your knitting lickety-split.

Oh, I forgot to mention - Tangled Skeins had a break-in last week. They took all of the $ in the till, yarn, and needles. If you get a chance to stop in, even if it's just to extend your condolences to Sheryl, the owner - do so, eh?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenail
I'd offer to host, but my folks are flying in that day. Sorry. Happy Holidays to you all! And may you all receive a pair of magical needles in your stockings - preferably ones that crank out your knitting lickety-split.

Oh, I forgot to mention - Tangled Skeins had a break-in last week. They took all of the $ in the till, yarn, and needles. If you get a chance to stop in, even if it's just to extend your condolences to Sheryl, the owner - do so, eh?
OHMIGOD!! I wonder why they would steal needles and yarn? Unless they figured they could sell them...I can't imagine rogue knitters breaking in...

As far as Santa bringing me magical needles...I want that spell Hermione used to bewitch her needles to knit on their own (HP Goblet of Fire...she was knitting clothes for the elves...they totally bypassed S.P.E.W in the film)
Old 12-19-2005, 11:27 AM

I was in on Friday--she had been away for a few days before the break in, so nobody had taken the money to the bank in a few days, so they got more than just one day's worth of cash out of the store as well. And they threw stuff around. That part always gets me--I mean, you're not tossing yarn around to try and find where they hide the money or anything, that's all in the till. You're tossing yarn around and clearing off shelves cause you're a jerk, you know?
Old 12-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Banned

That's terrible. Um, I'm sure this has already crossed her mind...but how very convienient for the criminals that she had been away and there was extra money in the till...maybe I'm just cynical but that seems a little suspicious to me, and "they" say there is no such thing as a coincidence and you make your own luck.

BTW Alison, peeked at the new pic of your DS, that is gorgeous! What beautiful lighting, great shot-well timed!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 AM

Where she is though, people "hang" around there at any one of the other shops/cafes etc. I'm sure that someone had been watching them for an opportunity.

I'm at work right now waiting for CAA to call me back to let me know when they're coming to get my keys out of my car for me! Thank goodness I had my work keys in my pocket to get in to work!

Alison
Old 12-21-2005, 12:04 AM
Banned

The area that Tangled Skeins is in is not exactly Dartmouth's finest...I worked at the Tim's on Ochterloney (one street over) and was robbed one night at knife point, lots of creeps down there. At least no one was hurt.

I had to stop knitting today and take a day off, I have a really bad excema patch on my right index finger...right where yarn runs over as I knit. It's now an open sore and it really hurts. So I guess a few people aren't getting bath mitts...
Old 12-21-2005, 11:16 AM

Have a look at how you knit and see if you can hold the yarn different ways. Watch other people knit and see what they do. I know I used to get a "knitting callus" on one finger that I don't any more since I watched Lucy carefully and copied her way of doing things.

Alison
Old 12-21-2005, 11:49 AM

Hey Lesley - I know how it goes. I get those eczema patches too. I don't know what yarn you're working with, but do be careful. If you get wool that has a lot of lanolin in it, that can trigger an allergic reaction = eczema. However, if you're working with something that's rough on your hands (like cotton), that can tear up your hands with the friction of the knitting motions too. I find that when I get a patch like that, I bandage it up and leave off knitting for a day or two. That usually helps...but do take it easy on yourself. It's really hard when you *want* to get everyone's present knitted and done (I'm the same way)...but it's not worth paying the price in flesh and blood (literally!)
Old 12-21-2005, 11:54 AM
Banned

I have a cortisone creamthat I am supposed to put on it, but I can only use it a few times a week and even then only minimal amounts because I'm still breastfeeding. I also have this night emollient cream from Mary Kay that helps, but once I apply it I really can't do anything because my hands are sorta sticky. I treated it last night and it looks a bit better this morning, I may put a little more cream on it and put a band-aid over it...at least until I have to do the dishes
Old 12-21-2005, 04:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Lesley, back when my eczema was at its worst I used to knit wearing the little cotton gloves they sell at the drugstore. I think it might be a sign that I'm an addict, and it slowed down my knitting, but it worked.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:48 PM

Lesley, you could try eucerin emollient (just ask the pharmacist for it). It's amazing on those patches of dry skin, and you only need to use a little at a time. It's commonly used for eczema, including for kids, so you probably know it already!

Alison
Old 12-23-2005, 02:36 AM
Banned

I treated the bad patches and it looks much better...still sore. But I am plowing through and finishing my knitting, dammit!

I can't wait until I can start the stuff I want to make for Grace and Cam. I still have the flirty skirty to make, and Cam wants alligator mitts. But first I must finish a few bath mitts, a scarf, a hat, mittens....
Old 12-25-2005, 10:02 AM

I got a swift! I got a swift! I got a swift! Now I just have to explain to Chuck what it is
Old 12-25-2005, 01:35 PM

don't explain, just show him! He'll get it pretty quickly!

Alison
Old 12-25-2005, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelsmama
I got a swift! I got a swift! I got a swift! Now I just have to explain to Chuck what it is
Congratulations!

My aunt BooBoo (I mentioned her in a previous post, our family knitting guru) gave me a project basket and some needles and other helpful doo-jiggy'sfor knitting, and Phil bought me the addi turbos and At Knit's End, which was all the knit related items I recieved.

Thursday you are all welcome to join me for knitting, I'll be here with my kids and probably some cookies!

I'm off to baste the turkey! Merry Christmas every body!
Old 12-25-2005, 06:31 PM

Haven't got any knit-related stuff yet. Although I haven't opened all the presents yet, cause Jeff's parents won't open or give anything until Jeff's brother and his family show up. I have a headache and just want to go to bed right now! Too bad all the family get together stuff has to happen at my house, or else I probably would go to bed right now! Andrew's already hyper from too many presents and too much chocolate, and the thought of another round of present opening is too much for me!

Alison
Old 12-25-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Jeff's parents won't open or give anything until Jeff's brother and his family show up. I have a headache and just want to go to bed right now! Too bad all the family get together stuff has to happen at my house, or else I probably would go to bed right now! Andrew's already hyper from too many presents and too much chocolate, and the thought of another round of present opening is too much for me!

Alison
Alison, that's awful! Do they realise what they're putting your family through? I hope it gets better from here on in.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:53 PM

Aww, don't get me started on Jeff's family Charlene. They mean well, but they are just high maintenance! And Andrew's cousin, Jeff's brother's kid,G,who is almost two, actually head butted Andrew today, as in deliberately leaned back and then whacked his head into Andrew's. Then did it again. And all because Andrew didn't want to give up his own Christmas present to G. Normally, that wouldn't be such a big deal--it's just something some kids do. But everyone laughed and joked about it as if it was funny that G. head butted him. Andrew has a friggin' lump on his head from it! And nobody said anything to G.. And then I got "oh, Andrew's a year older than G, you can't expect G to behave like Andrew". Well, no, but I can expect G. to behave like Andrew behaved a year ago! And Andrew a year ago had never deliberately hit anyone, but after this afternoon, he's hauling off and hitting G back--well, of course he is, G's been hitting him all afternoon! Yet it's pointed out to me as if it proves that Andrew hits too! Ask Xtian, Callum used to beat up on Andrew, and Andrew never retaliated. No offence intended Christian, you know what I mean, Andrew's always been a wimp when it comes to things like that! Argh, I want a break! We'll be at playgroup tomorrow for sure, just to get some time away.

Sorry guys, I'm venting on the wrong thread, I've just had it up to here and I need some space. I'm very thankful for my own low maintenance parents and siblings right now!

Alison
Old 12-27-2005, 03:48 AM
Banned

Poor Alison, in-laws are never easy. Yours sound worse than most though...eventually they go home though, so there's a silver lining.

I mastered cables today and I am almost done a hat for my cousin's husband (knitting I didn't have time to do before christmas, I got a little too ambitious). Thanks for your explanation Alison, it really helped me to figure out what I was supposed to do!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:33 PM

I complain, but if you met them you'd think they were lovely people. Most of the time they are, they just get a bit high maintenance around Christmas time!

Lesley, I don't even remember explaining cables! Was it at Lucy's? I look forward to seeing them on Thursday! BTW, if I didn't mention it here before, the yarn that Deb is running a coop for is awesome, wonderful, soft, vibrant, and just luscious! Everyone should get some just to try it out!

Alison
Old 12-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
I complain, but if you met them you'd think they were lovely people. Most of the time they are, they just get a bit high maintenance around Christmas time!

Lesley, I don't even remember explaining cables! Was it at Lucy's? I look forward to seeing them on Thursday! BTW, if I didn't mention it here before, the yarn that Deb is running a coop for is awesome, wonderful, soft, vibrant, and just luscious! Everyone should get some just to try it out!

Alison
You explained cables the last time we met for knitting. And you'd probably think my in-laws are lovely people as well...until you spent 15 minutes with them. I'm so glad my MIL only stayed here 2 nights over Christmas, she is the WORST houseguest in history! She means well...she's just thoughtless sometimes.

And yes, I want to get some the co-op yarn, but I can't figure out how to do it...I'm hoping someone can walk me through the process when we meet next.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:53 PM

I'll walk you through the coop ordering, not hard at all!

Alison
Old 12-27-2005, 06:37 PM

Alison, this is so funny, I remember you explaining cables to Lesley!

Thanks for letting me pet the yarn on Monday, I'm having a realy hard time not increasing my order now.

Charlene
Old 12-28-2005, 11:54 AM

Inlaws went home, at least the older generation. I can't wait for knitting tomorrow, so that I can feel like getting back to normal! Lesley, Andrew will probably be coming, if that's okay. I know you have toys that he wouldn't mind getting his hands on again (he keeps pointing that race set, I think it was little tikes, with the transporter truck out to me when we see it in stores. He thinks it was Mika's, since Mika was there too that day!).

I have to hit the yarn stores tomorrow, with Helen Elizabeth cause none of her friends knit. At least we won't have the boys with us .

Alison

PS Tangled Skeins is having a boxing week sale, she told us last time I was in, to get rid of all the winter yarn.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:45 PM
Banned

By all means, bring Andrew...I've missed him being at knitting with us and I'll have Cam dig out the trucks.

Oooh how I wish I could hit the boxing week sale at TS!! But alas, I have to pay the rent....think the rental office would understand? Maybe if I made them all a nice cable knit hat?

Speaking of the cable knit hat, I had to frog it. I realized as I decreased for the crown that it really needs to be bigger around and maybe another twist if it's going to fit Thomas (he's married to my cousin....would I call him my "cousin-in-law"?), because it doesn't fit me. So I thought I'd keep it as a back-up hat for Cam...and then because I wasn't paying attention I screwed it up royally. I don't even know how I did it, but it was not fixable, and since I was going to start another anyway...rip it rip it!

BTW: "At Knit's End"....HILARIOUS!
Old 01-01-2006, 01:32 PM

Hey all. I have to wait home on Thursday morning for the guy who's coming to replace the hot water heater. I'll probably be knitting and thinking of you all! Unless you all want to come here, but I won't even suggest that unless Lesley can make it too! Anyway, I'll miss you all!

Alison
Old 01-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

I looked up Grace's dr's appt, and it's on Friday, not Thurs. BUT Phil does not work until 3, so why don't we meet at Alison's this week? (I'll admit it, I want to go through your newly orgnaized pattern binders, )So, what time shall we descend upon you?

User Tag List