Halifax Knitting Mamas!! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 2034 Old 08-15-2005, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
not sure exactly....the smallest thing I can knit icord with, with worsted weight yarn! I'll just play around with a couple different sizes, see what works...if that's okay with you?

I was looking at those t-shirts....I want a baby just so I can buy the "yarn ho" onesie!!!!!!!!!!!!

ohmigod we made it to page 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#62 of 2034 Old 08-15-2005, 08:46 AM

Robyn, they make t-shirts in toddler sizes:

http://www.cafepress.com/knitty.22561613

Heck, they even make the onesie in 2T!

http://www.cafepress.com/knitty.22561608

Alison
#63 of 2034 Old 08-15-2005, 11:24 PM

I'm feeling rotten tonight...tired, upset tummy etc. Hope it will get better by morning or I'll have to miss knitting . Will keep you posted. Just a reminder that we will be late anyway since Olivia has swimming until 9:30am then I have to wait for my mom to get home so I can have the car. Where's the best place to park Alison? I normally would walk but with the 6 year old it is hard to walk 50 minutes one way with no complaints!!! Must look at one of those standing boards for the back of my soon to come NEW stroller!!
#64 of 2034 Old 08-15-2005, 11:26 PM

Gee..will I ever be a "Yarn Ho"???? That's hilarious!!
#65 of 2034 Old 08-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Banned

I have a pounding headache, I think I need to stop knitting for the night and sleep a bit or I'll be dozing off during knitting tomorrow! Just one more row...
#66 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Could someone please pm me with the address for tomorrow (today)....thanks!
See you all then!

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#67 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 08:58 AM

Vanessa, if you come park in the driveway. To the left of the house, which is sixty thirty South Street, although I think you have actually been here before! I can fit two cars in the driveway if the first one pulls in far enough.

Alison
#68 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

I had so much fun knitting today! And the fact that my dish cloth is actually *looking* like a dish cloth is amazing! Thanks again guys!

I worked on it on the bus, and dh and I just came back from the beach where he swam and I sat knitting (and Rayne watched!). I am working on the k2tog thing and I think I have it...we'll see if it turns out but it seems to be taking shape. I might actual have my first completed project today! Yea!

#69 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Banned

Exciting isn't it? I was so happy when I finished my first dishcloth I pinned it to my head and wore it!
#70 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchwormz
I had so much fun knitting today! And the fact that my dish cloth is actually *looking* like a dish cloth is amazing! Thanks again guys!

I worked on it on the bus, and dh and I just came back from the beach where he swam and I sat knitting (and Rayne watched!). I am working on the k2tog thing and I think I have it...we'll see if it turns out but it seems to be taking shape. I might actual have my first completed project today! Yea!
Tamara, as long as you put the needle through the 2nd stitch on your left hand needle and then through the 1st stitch, then knit them, you should be doing fine!

Anytime anyone gets stuck on something, there are wonderful videos at www.knittinghelp.com to demonstrate things.

Alison
#71 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Tamara, as long as you put the needle through the 2nd stitch on your left hand needle and then through the 1st stitch, then knit them, you should be doing fine!
So let's say hypothetically that I have been putting the needle through the first and then the second stitch on the left (then knitting together), what would this do?

#72 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 06:53 PM

Then I think you would be (hypothetically of course!) purling 2 together, not knitting. I'm going to try it out to double check.

Okay....I tried it out. If you are knitting them the way you mentioned (hypotheically, of course) and doing it by putting the right hand needle into the front of the 2 stitches...then you are purling. If, on the other hand you are putting the right hand needle into the BACK of the 2 stitches, then you would still be knitting.

Does that help at all?
#73 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 07:39 PM

As long as your needle goes in from front to back, then you'd be knitting them but you'd be knitting through the back, and that would twist the stitch the other way. It would still be knitting though, just twisted, and would therefore just slant the other way than knitting two together the regular way. Probably won't even be noticeable when you're done. It's called k2tog tbl (knit two together through back loops). Hypothetically, it doesn't matter at all in a dishcloth! Would be more noticeable in a sweater or in a sock, where you want you decreases to slant a certain way.

Alison
#74 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 08:52 PM

I'M THE CAST ON QUEEN!!! I worked really hard when I had a chance later tonight casting on and suddenly it just clicked! I was soooo excited!! What took me almost 1.5 hours today I did in 5 minutes tonight!! Love the "Stich and Bitch" book! I attempted the Continental Knitting method and am not sure if I am on the right track or not. I unravelled everything a bunch of times just to practice. I will continue to practice and maybe that will click too. Thanks for being so patient with me today I'm so excited to have learnt something new. YEAH!! Forget the 4 cover letters I have to type out tonight...I'm knitting!!!
#75 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 09:10 PM
Banned

That book is great, isn't it? Baby Bonus comes in on Friday and I am totally buying my own copy, I miss it already! I got the Complete Idiots Guide from the library and I am just not loving it the way I love the SnB book. And you're right, once it clicks you'll be knittin like a champ!
#76 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 11:10 PM

congratulations lesley and vanessa!!!!!! : it's so great that two have learned in two weeks! at this rate, world domination will happen in no time! mwah hah ha ha...........
#77 of 2034 Old 08-16-2005, 11:24 PM

OK...it's getting bad...I was flossing my teeth and was attempting to visualize the floss as wool and trying to cast it on my fingers!! EEK!! I forgot I have a $50 gift certificate to Barnes and Noble in the USA...going to order SnB!! YEAH!!!! It's only $13.00USD
#78 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 06:54 AM

a hah, it's all going to plan. soon you will be kniting a gorgeous sweater for dan, and your children will be sporting fabulous creations (my favourite kid hat is a no pattern four or five needle one that ends up baing a tri- or quad- corn. you can even add bells or tassles [depending on if you want to hear them coming :LOL ])....the world is ours!!!!!!!
#79 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 07:00 AM

ok, i'm wondering about dates for our housewarming. i thought trevor would be home for more of september, but he won't. so, i'm trying to figure out a good day. either september 3, or october 8 or 15. i was hoping to have camping as well, but there's always the whole house to crash in, if need be. so, seeing as everyone here is probably 90% of the people i know, what's the best date?
#80 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trivett
YEAH!!!! It's only $13.00USD
I SERIOUSLY miss US book prices
#81 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeaufoy
I SERIOUSLY miss US book prices
*cue evil laughter*

even US book prices don't compare to library/bookstore staff discounts!
#82 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 10:32 AM

You are evil.

Oh wait, I understand... you're offering to share that discount with your favorite knitting friends!!! How sweet :LOL
#83 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 10:42 AM

I have, on very rare occasions, been known to share my discount. Mostly I use it to buy presents for people!

Alison
#84 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 11:15 AM

As yes..the staff discount. My husband orders stuff all the time. We're going to miss that when he leaves . Hopefully he will get a job that still offers those great discounts!
#85 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 PM

Spent way too much at Tangled Skeins today.

You know, I was thinking...it would be to her advantage (and ours) to offer our group some sort of discount, or promotional deals. I wonder how to subtley make that point?!

Anyway, I am now the proud owner of two new hanks of merino wool....one for some pants for Mika, and the other for a hat for Gabe (who is threatening to knit it himself....we'll see!).

R
#86 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 12:29 PM

We should ask her about a frequent shopper programme. I have referred so many people to her and some of them mentioned my name (thank you Lesley!), so maybe she'll feel kindly towards me when I do actually spend some of my own money!

Which merino did you get? Celestial, or the Tangled Skeins merino, or something else?

Alison
#87 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 12:59 PM

She knows you are our "missing link" so to speak....she mentioned you and said "a bunch of other women have been here in the past couple of weeks"...I told her about our knitting group. So....maybe you should carry the torch across the bridge and put a bug in her ear (okay, I count at least 3 cliches in that paragraph!)

One skein of Celestial Merino (Gabe wants that one for his hat), and another in navy blue for Mr. Mika's pants....Shelridge Farms in Ontario, it's called Soft Touch W4. And I am supremely happy to say that they are both machine washable....wahooooo!

Now, if my left hand would stop hurting, I could start knitting.....
#88 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 01:04 PM

Robyn, you need to see a doc about your hand. Does it get worse at night when you're trying to sleep? That's pretty common with tendonitis or carpal tunnel, it's one of the ways you know that's what you've done.

Alison
#89 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Banned

Robyn, about your hand...my mom had really bad carpal tunnel and ended up having surgery on her right hand to try and correct it (it was so bad that occasionally her hands would just let go of whatever she was holding...20+ years of office work) and recently she started going to a chiropractor for issues with her neck and back...turns out her "carpal tunnel" was actually a neck issue, something about the tendons in her neck affecting her wrists. My Aunt, an avid knitter, had very simliar issues and corrected them with exercise. Since mom started seeing her chiropractor she hasn't had any issues with her hands, except weakness from the surgery!!

I guess my point is, how's your neck?
#90 of 2034 Old 08-17-2005, 09:31 PM

I've been seeing a chiropractor for at least 10 years....so it's not my neck. Actually, I know it's not carpal tunnel either....it's something wierd with one of the bones and tendons between my pinky and ring finger. Sometimes it hurts for days and days, then not for months and months (whether I knit or not) Advil helps. I'm just waiting for it to mellow out again.....can you tell I HATE doctors?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page