Halifax Knitting Mamas!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 2034 Old 08-22-2005, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:

Tamara , WAHM to Rayne (03/05) and Aurora (05/08).
#122 of 2034 Old 08-22-2005, 09:32 PM

Hey folks - I'm going to be late for knitting tomorrow. Olivia has swimming until 9:30 and by the time I walk home and grab the car I will be aiming to get there for 10:30am. Hope that is OK
#123 of 2034 Old 08-23-2005, 09:13 AM

Okay, for you newbie knitter out there, go to http://www.craft-design.ns.ca/courses.html. Click on download the fall course brochure and look at course number 8, Getting to Know Your Stitches. This is something you should definitely take to learn to read your knitting. It's only one evening and it's only $23 (believe me, that's a bargain for a course from Lucy, you should see what it costs in the US to go to something by her--this is subsidised by the province!). Anyway, it's absolutely worth taking. I should warn you, these are sometimes hard to get into, I usually do the in person registration on the Sunday, if you want to guarantee that you get in. I've taken this particular course, and it was even worthwhile for an experienced knitter!

Alison
#124 of 2034 Old 08-23-2005, 10:05 PM

Hey all -

My aunt just sent me this pattern...I've never come across it before, and I thought I had seen all the ones online! Has anyone tried this?

http://www.dunmani.plus.com/knitting...ns/soaker.html

Bought a wrist brace this afternoon...and am THRILLED to say I knitted with it on tonight and NO pain!!! Between the brace, my chiro, and the B6 I'm hoping to nip this in the bud quickly.
#125 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 12:21 AM
Banned

Well, I decided to take a crack at the wool pants project, and I am pleased to announce I have achieved waistband! Well, I have almost gotten the waistband done, a few more rows to go. It's not "pretty", but pretty will come when I have more practice at it. For now I am pleased that it's in a circle, ribby and holding together!!
#126 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 02:53 AM
Banned

OKay, so it's now 3 am, and I have gotten as far as the short row back on my baby girl's "pants". I mastered the short row back, thanks to the helpful demo video, but my question is this:
The instructions say:
"when you reach stitch marker B, work a short row back (doodles.thoughtline.com/knitting101/shortrows.html)
when you reach stitch marker (A) turn back around and continue knitting for 3 rows.
repeat a short row set from marker (B) back to (A) and on again.
knit 3 rows
repeat one more short row set from marker (B) back to (A), remove markers and knit on until your body measures your needed rise."
Does this mean I knit, then row back for 3 rows (do that bit 3 rows then move on), OR do I knit around the whole thing, go back at the stitch markers, then continue knitting around for 3 rows?
This doesn't even make sense to me as I type it. I'm off to bed, perhaps someone can tell me what I'm supposed to do, or the directions will make sense after some sleep.
Goodnight!
#127 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 08:45 AM

I'm going to guess that you do a short row as she describes on the bit between the markers, and then you knit three rounds all the way round. Then you work another short row just on the bit between the markers and then knit three rounds all the way round. Short rows just make the back a bit more spacious to go over the cloth bum by having more rows on the back than on the front. If you just kept going back and forth, you'd end up with a flap, you don't want a flap, you just want extra rows on the bum.

Alison
#128 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 08:50 AM

Hey Robyn, you can make that pattern and then sell the soakers. she give you express permission to do that right there in the first paragraphs! Get knitting girl, and then start selling them on ebay!

Alison
#129 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

I love the ribbed cuffs on the soaker. Looks like it would make for a bit of a better fit. I'm going to stick to the pants right now so that I will have a few (now I'm being optimistic!!) ready for this winter but once they're done it will be all about the soakers for the spring!

#130 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison
Hey Robyn, you can make that pattern and then sell the soakers. she give you express permission to do that right there in the first paragraphs! Get knitting girl, and then start selling them on ebay!

Alison
yup, if I could just make sense of her pattern! I feel like I'm reading a different language, although she is from the UK, so I guess I am :LOL
I even have my aunt trying to help me figure this one out! She thinks you're supposed to knit it with DK weight yarn doubled.....what do you think?

Also, she makes no reference as to what SIZE the stupid thing is!
#131 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 11:21 AM

3mm needles are just about right for DK wool. Why does your aunt think it's doubled? Also, I didn't realise that it's knit from the leg cuffs up! I'm used to knitting top down for soakers. You're right though, no mention as to size. Oh well.

Alison
#132 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

Ok, so I have done all the short rows back to make the tushie space, and i am now at the part where you knit until it's as long as it needs to be to cover her bum (?). I'm guessing that you knit so it will fit from her waist to her crotch, then move on to the next step. Is this right? And what is the best way to figure that out, measure her or just slip it on and see if it fits?
#133 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 02:29 PM

You could slip it on if she'll let you. Or measure her, with her diaper on. You're really taking to this knitting thing, aren't you?

Alison
#134 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 02:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're really taking to this knitting thing, aren't you?

Alison
It's really relaxing, and as an added bonus if I'm knitting while watching TV I'm not munching all night. I think I may have lost a few pounds since I started keeping my hands busy!
#135 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 02:57 PM

I measured Mika with a tape measure, and his diaper on....the measurement is called "rise". To measure the "rise" of your baby you put the tape measure in the middle of their lower back (where the pants will sit), and then run it down through their legs, and back up to the height you want the pants to be in the front (did that make sense?) Then as you're knitting you can use the tape measure to check the "rise" of your work in progress to see if you're getting close. I would still try them on her though, just to be sure.

And yes Alison, 3mm is just about right for DK, so I"m not sure why she thinks it's doubled...do you think DK is "heavy" enough for a super soaker like Mika? I'm not convinced. I may try to convert the whole thing to worsted weight. We'll see.....
#136 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I've got a couple questions now that we've returned from TS today.

Their needles were very expensive...like $15+ for the circular ones. So, please tell me I can get away with what I found at Zellers for $6?? They are way longer, 31", but I was going by memory and I think they had shorter ones so I will exchage them tomorrow. I think the shorter ones were still 24" though. Will these be okay??

They only had size 8 at Zellers so I have to keep looking for the size 6. I will try to get to Walmart this weekend...hopefully they have them there.

And what the heck is DK??

I got some pretty wool today!! I can't wait to get started on my longies!

#137 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 08:13 PM

Unless you know how to do the "magic loop", which I can't explain to you (Alison?)...you really do need them to be 16". 24" won't work because your work will be all stretched out. I think Lesley got her 16 inchers at Walmart though...check there...i don't remember them being expensive either.

DK....well I've heard it used to mean one of two things...either double knit, or designer knit...so, it really depends on the context of what you're talking about I guess. Basically though, it's a weight of wool, like worsted is a weight of wool. DK is smaller...requires smaller needles (smaller in diameter, that is)....and that means you have to cast on a bazillion stitches, which makes me crazy!

Speaking of which...I'm about to start what I have dubbed "The Mystery Soaker"! I THINK I have figured out how to do it with worsted weight wool and still have it fit Mr. Mika...we'll see! I finished my longies this morning....YEAH!!!!
#138 of 2034 Old 08-24-2005, 11:10 PM
Banned

I got the 16" circ needles for $5.37, at Wal-Mart. I was there earlier today buying up a few little items to stock my knitting bag, and I went into the area with the express purpose of buying a tape measure since I can't find mine. Well, I got a dishcloth book, a gauge measure, crochet needles and on impulse a yarn threader...no tape measure. So now I have to include another craft section trip in tomorrow's errands. Sigh.

Well, I'm off to knit some more of my pants. Hopefully I won't be up all night :LOL
#139 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 08:49 AM

Tamara, for longies, I agreee with Robyn, you really will need the 16 inch ones. Or you could use double pointed needles (DPNs). However, you'd still need to buy those, and they don't tend to sell the nice ones at Walmart or Zellers! I don't know magic loop--tried it, found it annoying--so I can't help there!

Anyway, I might have some I could lend you, if you give me the size in mm, and NOT in those silly US numbers, cause they make no sense to me whatsoever!

Oh, and for the legs, you'll need to get some DPNs as well, since you won't be able to do the legs on 16 inch circulars, unless Rayne has HUGE elephant legs that we just haven't noticed!

Alison
#140 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
unless Rayne has HUGE elephant legs that we just haven't noticed!
Nope, no elephant legs here (that I can tell!). I will probably try to get over to Walmart in the next few days and pick up the smaller ones. Hopefully I really take to this knitting thing and end up making Rayne a few pairs of longies. I bought enough wool to make her at least two pairs for this winter so it will be worth it to spend the $15 on needles. I just can't bring myself to spend $40 when I can get them at terrible Walmart for more than half the price. I know, I'm an awful person for shopping there, but I have to cut corners where I can to stay home with Rayne!

#141 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 02:01 PM

Just wanted to point out that the needles at TS are addis, and they really are way better than the Walmart ones. As a beginner, you really wouldn't notice the difference, and the expense is a bit much when you don't know if you're going to stick with it. For me, I'd buy the addis from the yarn store now, but that's with years of knitting behind me! I agree that you should start with walmart needles, I just wanted to let you know that there is a reason the yarn store needles are more expensive!

Alison
#142 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

K, so what's the difference?? Now I need to know! :LOL

#143 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 07:04 PM

Addis aren't painted. The join between the needle and the cord is smooth as silk. Because of these things, they're fast! They're called Addi Turbos for a reason! I'll let you try a pair of mine next time we knit here, then you'll see! However, really, I wouldn't invest until you know you're going to be a knitter for sure. Then, you can get them for less on e-bay and stuff.

Alison
#144 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 07:22 PM

http://www.livejournal.com/community...rs/110889.html

Robyn, the person who owns this pattern says lower down in reply to a question that she doesn't mind if you make and sell from her pattern. It's pretty cute, and you could always ask if she minded if you did the same thing!

Alison
#145 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

That's a really cute pattern too. I love the little cuffs!

So my dh picked up some needles for me on his way home from work. These are completely different than the ones from Zellers. They say 5mm US 8 and 4mm US 6. Are these the right size? They just seem so thin and tiny??

#146 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 10:45 PM

Sounds right, as long as they are 16" circulars?

There are 2 (3?) systems for measuring needles (think of it like celcius..how do you spell that... and farenheit). So basically, US 8's are the same thing as 5mm's. The conversion doesn't really make sense, so don't spend too much time thinking about it!

R
#147 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Banned

Yup, those are the ones that Robyn helped me pick out.

back to knitting her pants!
#148 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 10:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeaufoy

There are 2 (3?) systems for measuring needles (think of it like celcius..how do you spell that... and farenheit). So basically, US 8's are the same thing as 5mm's. The conversion doesn't really make sense, so don't spend too much time thinking about it!

R
That's why I bought a gauge measure, it also has holes to measure the size of needles.
#149 of 2034 Old 08-25-2005, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesley&grace
That's why I bought a gauge measure, it also has holes to measure the size of needles.
Hey, I actually have one of those!! I should go find it! I know it's somewhere in my box of yarn (way, way at the bottom!). Yeah!! I can't wait to start my pants!

#150 of 2034 Old 08-26-2005, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbeaufoy

R
There are three systems, cause they use numbers in the UK as well. however, their numbers work the opposite way to US numbers--ie one goes bigger needle bigger number, the other goes bigger needle smaller number. And the only one that makes any sense is the mm system, which is what Canada and the rest of the entire world use!

Alison

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page